Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The more I watch Rogue One, the less I enjoy it. The battle sequences are still some of my favorites in Star Wars and Vader kicking ass is cool, but the rest of the movie kind of falls flat.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Rogue One is possibly the worst Star Wars movie
The last third is the best produced and directed action in the series. Everything else is a mess. Particularly pacing and character development. Even Solo is better. It may be a dumb and pointless adventure movie but at least it was fun.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Rogue One is actually the best Star Wars movie.

The original's have their nostalgia, but Rogue One is the only one that transposed that feeling into a modern film making context.
Rogue One and Solo feel like an original trilogy Star Wars movie made in modern day. (Yes I know they are basically set it in the same time period) Force Awakens and The Last Jedi dont have the same feel to them all while having characters , vehicles , lightsabers , weapons etc.. from the original trilogy in them. I'm still amazed at how critics bashed Solo when it was a pretty good movie considering we know which main characters wont be killed off. For a movie not many people asked for it wasn't bad. I'm interested in The Mandalorian , Disney seems to have a good person in charge of the show and they are dropping 15 million per episode. A live action show can give us hours of content , for better or for worse. If they can get it right it will make for some great entertainment , I just hope it has a gritty element to it while being kid friendly somehow.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Rogue One is just very "eehhhh" until the ending, and the Vader sequence felt so damn fanservicey.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
The last third is the best produced and directed action in the series. Everything else is a mess. Particularly pacing and character development. Even Solo is better. It may be a dumb and pointless adventure movie but at least it was fun.

Visually it was amazing, which as now you expect nothing less from Disney with Star Wars but the fighting itself, while fine, was just kind of standard stuff. Thats not a big deal because it doesnt have to be Omaha beach in Saving Private Ryan, however, how the f*** can they call the battle of Scariff a victory? they got the plans but got totally wrecked

What i dislike most about Rogue One is the contradictions, even if they are slight

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I really liked Rogue one, there were no super powered Jedi running around, this was a war movie in the mud. When they did roll in a Force user in Vader, he just cut through the normal people with little to no effort.

In Solo, I absolutely loved that battle scene at the start. We've always seen pretty clean battles with shiny storm troopers, in hall ways of ships, or remarkably clean environments. We know that Storm Troopers weren't super wide spread, this was the normal Imperial Army infantry, in the mud, we got to see the human face of the Empire.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I enjoyed Rogue One and felt the only drawback was the pointlessness of Forest Whitaker character/storyline

As for TLJ count me in group that liked it despite its flaws

Frankly the Disney films were step in right direction and certainly have made me forget about Episodes I and II and TFA + Rogue One > Return of the Jedi for me

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I enjoyed Rogue One and felt the only drawback was the pointlessness of Forest Whitaker character/storyline

As for TLJ count me in group that liked it despite its flaws

Frankly the Disney films were step in right direction and certainly have made me forget about Episodes I and II and TFA + Rogue One > Return of the Jedi for me

To me, Saw’s character did work... but only in the context of his appearances in Clone Wars and Rebels. Outside of that context, I definitely think it was pretty dumb.

His character worked. The borgullet or whatever didn’t. I get what they were trying to do, but they didn’t do it well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm still back and forth on "Leia in space".

On one hand, it seems to come out in left field and it is a flaw that has been inherent in the entire saga since she has been alive (why doesn't Leia get to do anything force-related?).
On the other hand, I can understand it somewhat from a narrative perspective (starting the spark in getting people to believe in the cause because of the cool stuff like the Jedi, which Luke demonstrates in his last living act).

I feel this way about a few things with the movie, to where I understand and appreciate what they were trying to do but am not convinced the execution was all there.

I think the idea of Leia displaying some sort of raw force ability/potential was a good idea, but thought the execution was silly. In the Clone Wars tv show, it showed that what Leia did wasn't something that the Jedi could learn or train, Jedi could just go out in space and survive.

What would've been cool and could've worked would've been some sort of battle meditation like what Bastila Shan could do in KOTOR. Some would've viewed it as silly, but all the die-hards would've liked it IMO.

Reactions: irunthepeg

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
As for Rogue One, I enjoyed watching it and it really felt like a Star Wars movie, but the main central characters on the Rebels and Empire were just lacking. I think that's sort of what they were going for. The whole point of the movie was about the story and battle of getting the Death Star plans.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My hope is that the fight scenes in 9 are more well choreographed. That stuntman reacts to the throne room scene just showed how weak it was.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My hope is that the fight scenes in 9 are more well choreographed. That stuntman reacts to the throne room scene just showed how weak it was.

I just watched it. For anyone else:

I set it to start at the throne room scene analysis, but you may care to put it at the beginning if you want to also see them analyze Mission Impossible: Fallout.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I just watched it. For anyone else:

I set it to start at the throne room scene analysis, but you may care to put it at the beginning.

Yeah, that scene felt a touch off the first time I saw it. Now that I've finally seen it again, it appears as if the main players needed a bit more seasoning to perform this sequence. Johnson did a terrific job shooting the scene, which unfortunately highlighted this issue.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but hopefully Ridley and Driver show further progression come film #3.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think the idea of Leia displaying some sort of raw force ability/potential was a good idea, but thought the execution was silly. In the Clone Wars tv show, it showed that what Leia did wasn't something that the Jedi could learn or train, Jedi could just go out in space and survive.

What would've been cool and could've worked would've been some sort of battle meditation like what Bastila Shan could do in KOTOR. Some would've viewed it as silly, but all the die-hards would've liked it IMO.

My take on it was it was basically a Force adrenaline rush where powers/abilities Leia didn't even know she had kicked in to keep her alive. Kind of like the stories you hear of a parent lifting a car off their child with the rush of adrenaline they had. Which I would have been okay with, but the way she "flew" through space looked like something straight out of a kids Disney movie rather than Star Wars. And yes I realize you do have to suspend disbelief to some extent in a space fantasy film, but it still just felt...off.

Reactions: irunthepeg

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, that scene felt a touch off the first time I saw it. Now that I've finally seen it again, it appears as if the main players needed a bit more seasoning to perform this sequence. Johnson did a terrific job shooting the scene, which unfortunately highlighted this issue.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but hopefully Ridley and Driver show further progression come film #3.

I think what the stunt guy said was perfect, just use force powers. Kylo could have froze half of them and that would've helped because it would be more 1 one 1 instead of so chaotic. Or have Rey force jump around. Star Wars has that freedom for force users in fights, but it wasn't utilized.

I'm not expecting Adam or Daisy to become Hayden or Ewan, so hopefully they use the force more. From the trailer, it looks like Rey is at least, so that's good.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My take on it was it was basically a Force adrenaline rush where powers/abilities Leia didn't even know she had kicked in to keep her alive. Kind of like the stories you hear of a parent lifting a car off their child with the rush of adrenaline they had. Which I would have been okay with, but the way she "flew" through space looked like something straight out of a kids Disney movie rather than Star Wars. And yes I realize you do have to suspend disbelief to some extent in a space fantasy film, but it still just felt...off.
Right, Leia is the child of Anakin, it makes complete sense that she would have moments of using the force and the potential of mastering it with training. She could've been like Luke if she wanted IMO. It's moreso that force power doesn't make any sense in the context of what we know of force powers. Jedi during the clone wars tv show needed a mask or space suit. I just think Leia showing force powers could've been better executed, the idea of it is fine.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

It would not have been as bad if she just made a force cocoon and they had to rescue her from space, instead she is Mary Poppins in a coma

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Rogue One is possibly the worst Star Wars movie

Eh, it's boring but I wouldn't say it's worse than the prequels.

It's telling that the scens that received the most love from what i could tell was the final vadar scene, which had dick all to do with the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad