Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Time travel idea actually seems plausible when you consider how the First Order has just steamrolled the whole galaxy. I always figured they were just being lazy or wanting to avoid prequel comparisons by keeping the general politics of the galaxy obscured. Instead, they just didn't bother because it was always going to be undone by time travel anyways, heh.

Well I hope the movie is okay at least. However for any real innovation to happen in Star Wars I think it has to be done as a TV series, IMO.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I still like the idea that Palpatine is some haunted force ghost or something.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
yup

if those strongest on the light side of the Force become ghosts, then why not on the dark side too

Not canon as far as i can remember but there is stuff in legends that speaks to dark side users having that ability.

I do find it hilarious that the only real contingent of people who didn't think TLJ was a steaming pile of garbage were the critics. A few hundred people?

The overwhelming majority of fans and folks like RLM, SWT, DON, who are major YT contributors all disliked/hated it. We're talking about millions of people in the grand scheme.

TFA was a carbon copy of ANH, but at least there were fresh characters and some interesting arcs built up (Rey's lineage, Snoke, where is Luke, etc). It wasn't an original concept which means it's only average for me, but at least it was more centered on characters rather than political themes, moral dilemmas and stupid side bar journeys that did nothing other than waste time and reinforce that slavery and animal cruelty are amoral endeavors (as if the majority of people watching needed a refresher).

I just don't see any possible way to recover from Johnson's abhorrent mess.

For once, I'd love to see the "bad guys" win, but this trilogy certainly won't do that based on the past 2 films.

And if they do time travel as any sort of major plot point in 9, I'll walk out on the spot.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I do find it hilarious that the only real contingent of people who didn't think TLJ was a steaming pile of garbage were the critics. A few hundred people?

There is a large number of people who dislike this film, but this is simply false. There are plenty of people who didn't think it was a steaming pile of garbage.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
yup

if those strongest on the light side of the Force become ghosts, then why not on the dark side too

The original lore was that jedi were willing to let go of their lives in advance of a greater goal, so becoming a force ghost or one with the force was pretty natural.

With the Sith especially, they weren't supposed to be able to become a ghost because their greatest fear was death, they weren't willing to sacrifice their lives because that's the greatest example of surrendering your power.

Then somehow writers tended to get lazy and every book in the legends eu practically had a force ghost or non corporal sith because it was easy to do.

I'm hoping that the Palpatine that we see in the next movie is a holographic image off of a holocron, not a Palpatine ghost or fricken clone or anything like that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't like the idea of Palpatine returning (even as just a force ghost), not because of plausibility or canon issues, but because it's yet another example of this trilogy leaning on the original instead of, well, being original. It's not just that it's another returning character, but also that, if he becomes the main villain (either by being reincarnated, possessing Kylo or just posing a threat to both sides), chances seem good that Kylo will eventually turn on him and redeem himself, exactly like his grandfather did. The trilogy that started by ripping off ANH may well end by ripping off RotJ.

On top of that, it highlights one of the main problems with Kylo: that's he's not a good enough villain on his own. Instead of trying to fix that in the third movie, the writers are seemingly throwing their hands up and bringing back the most notorious villain of the franchise to patch the problem. Admittedly, I'm not sure how they could fix Kylo at this point, but it's hard for me to like their alternative solution to escaping from a corner that they shouldn't have written themselves into in the first place.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
i think that has a lot to do with Carrie Fisher dying.

Pretty much everyone had the same thought as that scene happened, "holy crap, this is how theyre doing it", then got the rugged pulled out when she didnt die

That was part of it. But, this is the first time they've shown she's force sensitive enough to do something like that. Also, if she used the force to get back to the ship, why did she pass out after that? That whole sequence just didn't work for me.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
i think that has a lot to do with Carrie Fisher dying.

Pretty much everyone had the same thought as that scene happened, "holy crap, this is how theyre doing it", then got the rugged pulled out when she didnt die

It's one of the few times I personally believe they needed a tiny bit of exposition. Even if it's just someone asking her, at some point, how she did it and her responding that The Force is strong in her family, or something about being one with The Force, or whatever. Instead, they just let it dangle out there as essentially a random event.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
TLJ just had too many locations and story threads. They really need to condense some of the side characters so they can focus more. Where is the time traveling thing coming from though? I don't get that impression at all.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
JJ has his work cut out for himself for this one. Interested to see what the new footage we will get from Comic Con will show. I'm not expecting this movie to he top notch by any means but a proper close out to this trilogy can help save it a bit to the real Star Wars fans. ROTS > TFA > TLJ , would be ok if we can somehow have that as a comparison of the 3 when it's all said and done.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
JJ has his work cut out for himself for this one. Interested to see what the new footage we will get from Comic Con will show. I'm not expecting this movie to he top notch by any means but a proper close out to this trilogy can help save it a bit to the real Star Wars fans. ROTS > TFA > TLJ , would be ok if we can somehow have that as a comparison of the 3 when it's all said and done.

If how they handled the footage/trailers with The Last Jedi as any indication, we probably won't see a new trailer until halftime of a Monday Night Football game in mid-October.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I'm still back and forth on "Leia in space".

On one hand, it seems to come out in left field and it is a flaw that has been inherent in the entire saga since she has been alive (why doesn't Leia get to do anything force-related?).
On the other hand, I can understand it somewhat from a narrative perspective (starting the spark in getting people to believe in the cause because of the cool stuff like the Jedi, which Luke demonstrates in his last living act).

I feel this way about a few things with the movie, to where I understand and appreciate what they were trying to do but am not convinced the execution was all there.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
There is a large number of people who dislike this film, but this is simply false. There are plenty of people who didn't think it was a steaming pile of garbage.

Agreed. I enjoyed the movie a lot, but it was definitely not a perfect movie. Personally didn't like the Canto Bight scene and the Leia superman execution, but other than that I really liked it. I had this idea going into it thinking it would be a certain way and it wasn't which is why I liked it. Now going into episode IX I have no idea what to expect and I'm looking forward to it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Agreed. I enjoyed the movie a lot, but it was definitely not a perfect movie. Personally didn't like the Canto Bight scene and the Leia superman execution, but other than that I really liked it. I had this idea going into it thinking it would be a certain way and it wasn't which is why I liked it. Now going into episode IX I have no idea what to expect and I'm looking forward to it.

That was one of my two biggest problem with TLJ. If they intentionally set it up like then no problem, but the reason you have no idea what to expect is because with creative direction of the movies changing hands back and forth they don't know what to expect either and are just winging it as they go. This is supposed to be a trilogy, and typically in a trilogy you're should have an idea where the final act is going after finishing the 2nd part.

I'll be more forgiving with TLJ if Abrams is able to wrap things up and bring it to a satisfactory conclusion, but I remain highly skeptical going in. Not likely to ever happen but I'd really like to see Abram's rough script for the 2nd movie and plans for the 3rd that Johnson tossed out to compare it against what we got.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
That was one of my two biggest problem with TLJ. If they intentionally set it up like then no problem, but the reason you have no idea what to expect is because with creative direction of the movies changing hands back and forth they don't know what to expect either and are just winging it as they go. This is supposed to be a trilogy, and typically in a trilogy you're should have an idea where the final act is going after finishing the 2nd part.

I'll be more forgiving with TLJ if Abrams is able to wrap things up and bring it to a satisfactory conclusion, but I remain highly skeptical going in. Not likely to ever happen but I'd really like to see Abram's rough script for the 2nd movie and plans for the 3rd that Johnson tossed out to compare it against what we got.
I don't think there is one "correct" way to write a trilogy or any extended saga.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
TFA (ep 7?) was an average movie for me so I wasn't too excited for TLJ (ep 8?) and I never got around to it. If TRS sounds good I'll go back and watch 7 again (didn't leave a huge impression though the plot was very SW basic), then 8 and 9.

I caught the Solo movie flying to Spain and it was surprisingly AWESOME. I was watching on a neighbor's screen and it looked fun and original so I gave it a go and was not disappointed. The heros of the death star movie was also pretty good despite knowing everyone pretty much has to die at the end.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Rogue One is actually the best Star Wars movie.

The original's have their nostalgia, but Rogue One is the only one that transposed that feeling into a modern film making context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad