Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
That reminded me of the rumor that both Revan and Bane were going to be in TCW, but then got cut. Bane did show up later in that Yoda arc though.

I wonder if they'd do something similar to this with the Emperor?

But Revan ended up back on the light side, why would he be a Sith Lord still

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
That all happened outside of the films and TCW though, and I think that's all Lucas ever considered canon.

No, EU was all canon. There was different levels of canon, IE something that happens in the movies, being the top of the canon hierarchy, overrides any contradiction from earlier EU but it wasnt till Disney that the EU was erased and only the movies and shows remained canon

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
No, EU was all canon. There was different levels of canon, IE something that happens in the movies, being the top of the canon hierarchy, overrides any contradiction from earlier EU but it wasnt till Disney that the EU was erased and only the movies and shows remained canon

The EU was never canon to George Lucas. Sure, he used things from it, but he was never beholden to what happened in the books, games, etc. So if he wanted Revan to be a Sith in TCW, he would have been a Sith.

Reactions: Hivemind

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
The EU was never canon to George Lucas. Sure, he used things from it, but he was never beholden to what happened in the books, games, etc. So if he wanted Revan to be a Sith in TCW, he would have been a Sith.

It was canon, he just could override anything he wanted, as i mentioned. He "approved" everything before it was released because it was canon

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That all happened outside of the films and TCW though, and I think that's all Lucas ever considered canon.

Were you responding to me or someone I have on ignore?

If me, I was being facetious. Technically the whole PT takes place in the Old Republic until the end.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Were you responding to me or someone I have on ignore?

If me, I was being facetious. Technically the whole PT takes place in the Old Republic until the end.
I think when people think of the term "Old Republic" they think of the era of the Sith Empire vs the Old Republic of the KOTOR time era rather than the 25+ years before the Original Trilogy or however much time is between Episode 3 and 4

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I think when people think of the term "Old Republic" they think of the era of the Sith Empire vs the Old Republic of the KOTOR time era rather than the 25+ years before the Original Trilogy or however much time is between Episode 3 and 4

Yes, this is what I was referring to. KOTOR, not the clone wars.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It was canon, he just could override anything he wanted, as i mentioned. He "approved" everything before it was released because it was canon

I've always been a bit confused about the outrage. I dabbled a bit in the EU reading the Thrawn trilogy, the one after, and a couple other books in the early-mid 90's. From what I remember of the Thrawn trilogy it revolved a lot around the history of the Clone Wars, all of which Lucas himself basically completely invalidated when he made the prequel trilogy and from what I could tell know one really cared. It's essentially the same thing as what Disney did making the new trilogy, the only difference being the officially came out and said the EU wasn't "canon" anymore where 15-20 years ago George Lucas just didn't say anything about it.

And it's this distinction that has me confused. Why get so upset now (or 5 years ago) with Disney when Lucas himself more or less already invalidated the original foundation of the EU.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I know that. Thus the facetiousness.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I've always been a bit confused about the outrage. I dabbled a bit in the EU reading the Thrawn trilogy, the one after, and a couple other books in the early-mid 90's. From what I remember of the Thrawn trilogy it revolved a lot around the history of the Clone Wars, all of which Lucas himself basically completely invalidated when he made the prequel trilogy and from what I could tell know one really cared. It's essentially the same thing as what Disney did making the new trilogy, the only difference being the officially came out and said the EU wasn't "canon" anymore where 15-20 years ago George Lucas just didn't say anything about it.

And it's this distinction that has me confused. Why get so upset now (or 5 years ago) with Disney when Lucas himself more or less already invalidated the original foundation of the EU.

I believe the Thrawn trilogy is post RotJ and is about the war continuing after the Emperors death, actually a legit story that the Empire didnt fold just because the Emperor died.

I think the big difference between Lucas making changes and Disney discarding is that a bulk came out after the PT so theres were set, a lot of the EU is set before or after either trilogy so contradictions were minimal and finally stuff being tossed out was case by case for fans so they could ignore things they might not have cared about or just that losing a little EU canon is not nearly the same as all of it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So which trilogy is getting made? Rian Johnson's or the GOT guys?

A real Sophie's choice.
Are we still sure both are getting their trilogies? They are wanting to slow down SW movies, GoT guys are getting the 22/24/26 movies, are they really locking into a 28/30/32 trilogy for Rian? Is Rian directing the GoT trilogy? I just wish Rian would lay off twitter banter with people that have genuine critiques of TLJ.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Are we still sure both are getting their trilogies? They are wanting to slow down SW movies, GoT guys are getting the 22/24/26 movies, are they really locking into a 28/30/32 trilogy for Rian? Is Rian directing the GoT trilogy? I just wish Rian would lay off twitter banter with people that have genuine critiques of TLJ.

He is unwell and needs to step away from Twitter. It is the same kind of sad display as Kevin Durant making up burner accounts to fire back at 12 year old critics. These people may have all the money in the world, but that doesn't make them happy.

I think D&D as well as Rian Johnson both have the same problem. They are far more interested in 'moments' than themes or story arcs. They want to create awe inspiring moments but they don't seem to understand that those moments only resonate if you did the necessary character work to make them feel important.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I just don't think it's a good look and only makes the fanbase more split, especially if he's going to be doing more Star Wars work in the future. Look at how Benioff and Weiss are handling criticism from their fans, they aren't engaging, that's the better route to take IMO. If Rian does a Star Wars trilogy, a lot of people are going to avoid it, it's just bad business to alienate a group of the fanbase.

Even if people are trolling him, you shouldn't feed into the trolls. If people are trying to have a genuine conversation about a disagreement on the movie, then don't be a prick to them.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I just don't think it's a good look and only makes the fanbase more split, especially if he's going to be doing more Star Wars work in the future. Look at how Benioff and Weiss are handling criticism from their fans, they aren't engaging, that's the better route to take IMO. If Rian does a Star Wars trilogy, a lot of people are going to avoid it, it's just bad business to alienate a group of the fanbase.

Even if people are trolling him, you shouldn't feed into the trolls. If people are trying to have a genuine conversation about a disagreement on the movie, then don't be a prick to them.

I mean, more people are pricks to him, but he can't be one back? I just don't understand it.

Reactions: Jussi

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I just think it's bad business. There are plenty of directors out there that get crap from fans and they don't engage.

Correct. And that's fine for them too. Don't think it has to be one way or another. Half of these "fans" are just ignorant, so I am fine with him responding. He's made a few people look really dumb.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Correct. And that's fine for them too. Don't think it has to be one way or another. Half of these "fans" are just ignorant, so I am fine with him responding. He's made a few people look really dumb.
I think it's best to ignore the trolls and not alienate fans that think his movie is dumb. JJ wasn't battling fans that ripped him for ripping off A New Hope. George didn't go after fans during the prequel years. If Rian still gets his trilogy, I bet you'll see why it's not smart for him to do what he's doing.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I think it's best to ignore the trolls and not alienate fans that think his movie is dumb. JJ wasn't battling fans that ripped him for ripping off A New Hope. George didn't go after fans during the prequel years. If Rian still gets his trilogy, I bet you'll see why it's not smart for him to do what he's doing.

Meh, it may not be in his best interest to respond, but if your going to directly attack someone on twitter then I have no problem with them responding in kind. People seem to think they can say whatever they want to famous people

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Meh, it may not be in his best interest to respond, but if your going to directly attack someone on twitter then I have no problem with them responding in kind. People seem to think they can say whatever they want to famous people
It's not like that's the only time he responds to fans like that. All these recent tweets were directed at fans that were critiquing Star Wars and GoT for building up Snoke and Night King and then having a disappointing end to them without proper payoff.

Rian then assumed that what the critiques were really about were not getting a backstory and then he gets snarky. He misses the point and then gets snarky. That's the problem with his tweets. He wasn't attacked and he acts like a prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad