Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Mark got yelled at on Twitter for this. :laugh:

I love Mark Hamill. He's always been on the side of the fans and the characters while most others (Disney, Lucas, Kennedy, Abrams, Johnson, Ford, etc.) seem to care more about other things (themselves, money, social issues, etc.).

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I love Mark Hamill. He's always been on the side of the fans and the characters while most others (Disney, Lucas, Kennedy, Abrams, Johnson, Ford, etc.) seem to care more about other things (themselves, money, social issues, etc.).

You must have ignored a lot of Hamill. He's huge know social issues as he should be.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Are people somehow reading this as some kind of criticism of the sequel trilogy?

Come on.

The original tweet, from the author of the picture:

So, yes, it's a criticism of the direction that the sequel trilogy went in, and Hamill re-posted it and added the hashtag "MissedOpportunities", suggesting that he shares some of that feeling.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The original tweet, from the author of the picture:

So, yes, it's a criticism of the direction that the sequel trilogy went in, and Hamill re-posted it and added the hashtag "MissedOpportunities", suggesting that he shares some of that feeling.

I see him taking a picture of his coworkers and friends in a photoshopped pictire and putting another hashtag on it as a "that would have been cool for us to have done this". No I don't see it as an extension of that criticism.

Also that we didn't get all of them in a scene together is such a stupid thing to get hung up on.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I see him taking a picture of his coworkers and friends in a photoshopped pictire and putting another hashtag on it as a "that would have been cool for us to have done this". No I don't see it as an extension of that criticism.

Well, you see what you want to see, no different than what you're criticizing others for. You could be right, but it's not like there isn't reason to read the opposite, considering the criticism inherent in the image and original tweet and the fact that Hamill has not been shy about publicly expressing dissatisfaction with certain aspects of TLJ.

Also that we didn't get all of them in a scene together is such a stupid thing to get hung up on.

I disagree that Hamill is being stupid.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think Mark Hamill is being stupid. I think he has a deep personal connection with all those people and him seeing it as a missed opportunity makes sense from his perspective.

You should know exactly who I am talking about when it comes to getting hung up on those characters not being in a scene together. And no it isn't any of the actors themselves.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't think Mark Hamill is being stupid. I think he has a deep personal connection with all those people and him seeing it as a missed opportunity makes sense from his perspective.

You should know exactly who I am talking about when it comes to getting hung up on those characters not being in a scene together. And no it isn't any of the actors themselves.

I knew what you likely meant, but I wanted you to confirm it before I called it hypocritical. That's, frankly, what it is to be OK with Hamill wanting such a scene and critical of fans for wanting the same thing. Fans feel a deep connection to the characters, too. It makes sense for them to wish that they'd gotten to see them all together, as well. It's not fair to disparage that as getting "hung up" on it, especially when Hamill is excused from it and when the only reason that we're talking about it is that he brought it up.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I knew what you likely meant, but I wanted you to confirm it before I called it hypocritical. That's, frankly, what it is to be OK with Hamill wanting such a scene and critical of fans for wanting the same thing. Fans feel a deep connection to the characters, too. It makes sense for them to wish that they'd gotten to see them all together, as well. It's not fair to disparage that as getting "hung up" on it, especially when Hamill is excused from it and when the only reason that we're talking about it is that he brought it up.
I will contend there is a major difference between an actor who actually knows all these people very well and a fan who has a connection to these people because they are featured in a piece of media they love. And that is where there is a huge distinction and why my issue lies with fans for feeling they were owed this reunion and it not being provided is a knock on the new trilogy for not accommodating them.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I will contend there is a major difference between an actor who actually knows all these people very well and a fan who has a connection to these people because they are featured in a piece of media they love. And that is where there is a huge distinction and why my issue lies with fans for feeling they were owed this reunion and it not being provided is a knock on the new trilogy for not accommodating them.

There may be a difference between actors and fans having connections, but it's not nearly as huge as you're making it, IMO. In fact, it's often the case that fans have a stronger connection to the characters and actors than the actors, themselves. Just look at the original cast of Star Trek, which are loved by the fans more than they loved each other. As another example, I love Abbott and Costello, but those two didn't really get along.

Even if we accept the distinction, you haven't made any argument for why it matters and why it's not OK for fans to wish for the same thing as Hamill. You've only used terms like "hung up" and "owed" to paint their wanting it in an unflattering light. Even if that's applicable to some fans, it's certainly not to most, which is a distinction that you don't seem to be giving as much attention.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
There is a difference, but is it that quantifiable when thinking of fan reaction?

The original was a big part of our generation. Much more so than today because the original Star Wars was ground breaking in almost every way. There had never been anything like it.

Yet, look at your reactions to those critical of anything new Star Wars related. Fans can become very emotionally invested.

I know that I was. TLJ fixed that.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
If we are going to disagree about the difference between a personal connection to actual people and a fan's connection to fictional characters then this discussion is going to go around in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad