Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Ewoks are actually highly intelligent murder bears that play cute to lure unsuspecting victims to their doom, and then eat them. The Rebels only got off the planet because the Ewoks were full after feasting on all the Imperials.:sarcasm:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A limited series showing Obi-Wan's struggle to not be an active Jedi could be interesting. Similar to the Kenobi novel that came out a few years ago (I can't remember if it's canon or not). Tatooine is a backwater, so it wouldn't be too hard for him to stay under the radar as long as he's not whipping out his lightsaber or obviously using the Force. They could go into his learning how to commune with Qui-Gonn through the Force. Maybe young Luke gets himself in trouble and "old Ben Kenobi" has to help him out. We know Uncle Owen isn't exactly the biggest Obi-Wan fan either, so maybe they have a run in at some point.

And yes, a pretty large reason why fans want this is to see Ewan McGregor play Obi-Wan again. Not all "fan service" is bad.
Yeah, maybe a limited series would work.

Agree about fan service, and usually it's not bad. Galaxy Edge needed it. If you have a Star Wars theme park, you need the original characters there that we all love.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
What about Kenobi trying to track down Jedi in hiding? I admit I'm not up on expanded universe stuff, but did he spend the entire time on Tatooine?

There actually wasn't much mentioned about Kenobi in the Legends universe there was one book, I'm not sure if it was legends or the New EU. But it was strictly on Tatooine, and a mention of him in the Darth Vader rises book at the end when he learns that Vader survived and ponders snatching Luke and leaving Tattooine. There was no way that he was going to leave Luke un guarded.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
When we talk about the Rebel's winning at the end of ROTJ and luck versus Arrogance. I always through there was a cool mirror in the PT and the OT

PT

The Republic was rotting from the inside, it was corrupt, and just ready to fall. The Jedi were completely arrogant. We even saw that in their belief that first of all the Sith were all dead and if they were to return the Jedi would simply know it. They had lost their understanding of the nature of the Force. They were limited in their use of the Force so badly that the Force wasn't even warning them anymore. They were ripe to fall due to their arrogance.

OT

Palpatine was the Empire, they were strong and had a powerful military. But Palpatine had become arrogant, he believed that the Force was telling him that there was only one destiny and it was him triumphant. But like the PT clearly Palpatine suffered the same fate as the Jedi, his arrogance had blinded him, Even more, his plot to seduce Anakin to the Dark Side was this long patient affair that tested Anakin's readiness, and eventually put him into a situation where he believed that the Jedi were wrong and corrupt, and he needed more power to save his wife. Palpatine effectively cornered Anakin with his version of Right thinking.

Then in ROTJ his plot to bring Luke to the Dark side, was basically trash talking. It was the ultimate in arrogance, and the force didn't allow him to see the outcome.

Reactions: Supermassive

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
When we talk about the Rebel's winning at the end of ROTJ and luck versus Arrogance. I always through there was a cool mirror in the PT and the OT

PT

The Republic was rotting from the inside, it was corrupt, and just ready to fall. The Jedi were completely arrogant. We even saw that in their belief that first of all the Sith were all dead and if they were to return the Jedi would simply know it. They had lost their understanding of the nature of the Force. They were limited in their use of the Force so badly that the Force wasn't even warning them anymore. They were ripe to fall due to their arrogance.

OT

Palpatine was the Empire, they were strong and had a powerful military. But Palpatine had become arrogant, he believed that the Force was telling him that there was only one destiny and it was him triumphant. But like the PT clearly Palpatine suffered the same fate as the Jedi, his arrogance had blinded him, Even more, his plot to seduce Anakin to the Dark Side was this long patient affair that tested Anakin's readiness, and eventually put him into a situation where he believed that the Jedi were wrong and corrupt, and he needed more power to save his wife. Palpatine effectively cornered Anakin with his version of Right thinking.

Then in ROTJ his plot to bring Luke to the Dark side, was basically trash talking. It was the ultimate in arrogance, and the force didn't allow him to see the outcome.

Most notably in the fact that they became military leaders, something that is essentially anti-thetical to being a Jedi.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah, maybe a limited series would work.

Agree about fan service, and usually it's not bad. Galaxy Edge needed it. If you have a Star Wars theme park, you need the original characters there that we all love.

From what I've read it sounds like they rushed Galaxy's Edge. They only have the one ride, and everything is expensive as hell (I think the lightsabers are like $200 a piece, which gets really expensive if you're taking a family). I'm not sure having OT characters would have made a huge difference, although I agree that they should have them eventually.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
From what I've read it sounds like they rushed Galaxy's Edge. They only have the one ride, and everything is expensive as hell (I think the lightsabers are like $200 a piece, which gets really expensive if you're taking a family). I'm not sure having OT characters would have made a huge difference, although I agree that they should have them eventually.
I agree, there were more than just the issues with the OT characters. I'm just so confused as to how Disney is handling SW. This isn't so much to bash Disney along the lines of the Fandom Menace people, but Disney just feeds them all the rumors and speculation. They either half-ass something, make something be really expensive, or are super vague, which leads to internet craziness.

Hopefully at some point they provide a clear vision on everything. MCU outlines everything well in advance, and we don't even know much of anything on the Rian or D&D films, so there are always rumors of those being off or that they will be Old Republic to the point that the Old Republic is expected.

There are even rumors that Lucas still gets a cut when the originals are used, and that's why Disney wanted to kill all the old characters and change the look of the Falcon. I just wish at some point they will get out in front of this stuff and make the future of SW clear, I think that will help the divisiveness.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Most notably in the fact that they became military leaders, something that is essentially anti-thetical to being a Jedi.

The Revenge of the Sith novel was excellent, especially when it talked about how well Sidious had played the Jedi and drew them into a inescapable trap. He even mused that if the Jedi had refused to fight in the war and become General's and Commanders and had followed the Force that the Grand Plan of the Sith could have been delayed or failed.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The Revenge of the Sith novel was excellent, especially when it talked about how well Sidious had played the Jedi and drew them into a inescapable trap. He even mused that if the Jedi had refused to fight in the war and become General's and Commanders and had followed the Force that the Grand Plan of the Sith could have been delayed or failed.
Yeah, when the PT is viewed in it's entirety, including the novels and tv show, it's really an amazing piece of work. Anakin's fall to the dark makes complete sense in the Clone Wars tv show. Revenge of the Sith novel had great pieces like you mentioned. I felt like there was so much Lucas had to fit into 3 films, that if he made it 4 or 5, it would have been amazing.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Disney doing so well with Marvel does make it seem a little weird how average-disappointing they’ve been with Star Wars.

But then again maybe Star Wars films as a whole are just mediocre.

I mean seriously the franchise has like 10 movies now and I can only say I personally liked 3 of them.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Disney doing so well with Marvel does make it seem a little weird how average-disappointing they’ve been with Star Wars.

But then again maybe Star Wars as a whole just is mediocre.

Maybe Star Wars should have ended for good in 1983 with “Return of the Jedi.”

Star Wars; The Empire Strikes Back; and Return of the Jedi were great, and they should have left well enough alone.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

But then again maybe Star Wars films as a whole are just mediocre.

I mean seriously the franchise has like 10 movies now and I can only say I personally liked 3 of them.

Marvel has people running the show that actually plan their films out and don't just play hot potato with them like Star Wars has. And it feels like they actually know, understand, and are fans of the material they're making films about. Kathleen Kennedy is a great movie producer, but I don't think she really "gets" Star Wars like the people over at Marvel seem to. I also don't think Disney really knows what they want with Star Wars. Both of the standalone films seemed to be them asking for one movie, then changing their minds and going with a different, safer film. And the one film they actually took a chance on doing something different is the most divisive film in the franchise.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
SW stayed strong throughout the years with the great EU it had. Knights of the Old Republic was huge, and that game is why a movie is requested for that period. I think the problem will be we won't get Revan or at least the Revan that we know.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
SW stayed strong throughout the years with the great EU it had. Knights of the Old Republic was huge, and that game is why a movie is requested for that period. I think the problem will be we won't get Revan or at least the Revan that we know.

I don't think it'll have Revan in it anyway. There might be some similar story beats to KOTOR, but I don't know if they want to directly bring any of those characters into the films.

It brings up an interesting idea though. What other old EU material would you like to see adapted to film/television? For me it's definitely the X-Wing books. You could even do it similar to the books where you have Rogue Squadron for a season, then Wraith Squadron for the second season, with a third season of them teaming up to take down some Imperial warlord. Hell, maybe Thrawn is that big bad lurking in the background (although they kind of already did that in Rebels).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't think it's fair to compare Star Wars to the MCU. What Marvel has accomplished is unprecedented. It's unrealistic to think it can be easily replicated.

While I don't think SW has been handled all that well, I think the growing apathy towards the franchise would be difficult to avoid no matter who was running it.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Anakin’s fall from grace is almost Biblical in its main themes. It’s an inherently fantastic story and a shame that Lucas did what he did with it.

I still think they should make a Vader movie where he’s hunting down the remaining scattered Jedi and coming to grips with his transformation of being the Anakin Skywalker who loved and lost, to being the most awesome weapon of the Empire.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Anakin’s fall from grace is almost Biblical in its main themes. It’s an inherently fantastic story and a shame that Lucas did what he did with it.

I still think they should make a Vader movie where he’s hunting down the remaining scattered Jedi and coming to grips with his transformation of being the Anakin Skywalker who loved and lost, to being the most awesome weapon of the Empire.

I’d be so down for this. The Vader killing rebels scene in rogue one was one of the best in all of SW imo.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Marvel has people running the show that actually plan their films out and don't just play hot potato with them like Star Wars has. And it feels like they actually know, understand, and are fans of the material they're making films about. Kathleen Kennedy is a great movie producer, but I don't think she really "gets" Star Wars like the people over at Marvel seem to. I also don't think Disney really knows what they want with Star Wars. Both of the standalone films seemed to be them asking for one movie, then changing their minds and going with a different, safer film. And the one film they actually took a chance on doing something different is the most divisive film in the franchise.
Marvel also has a shit-ton of characters and stories to pull from (considering the countless comic books with varying degrees of success and addressing a wide variety of topics and themes), giving fans a wide variety (and a large number) or films with varying themes.

Would be interesting if they tried to expand Star Wars to a similar degree to the MCU, bringing in new characters that use the force in different ways. With the Skywalker saga ending, it would make sense for "the force" to start from scratch and us see new force users popping up and starting their own epic stories. Perhaps leading to some epic Star Wars crossover movie similar to the Avengers movies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I always thought a Vader film would be great. The actual character didnt get a ton of screen time, so plenty of story to tell.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Marvel also has a ****-ton of characters and stories to pull from (considering the countless comic books with varying degrees of success and addressing a wide variety of topics and themes), giving fans a wide variety (and a large number) or films with varying themes.

Would be interesting if they tried to expand Star Wars to a similar degree to the MCU, bringing in new characters that use the force in different ways. With the Skywalker saga ending, it would make sense for "the force" to start from scratch and us see new force users popping up and starting their own epic stories. Perhaps leading to some epic Star Wars crossover movie similar to the Avengers movies.
It'll be interesting how the balance force users and non force users in stories. Will they be more rare like in OT and ST, or will they go to a time where there were more.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Yeah, when the PT is viewed in it's entirety, including the novels and tv show, it's really an amazing piece of work. Anakin's fall to the dark makes complete sense in the Clone Wars tv show. Revenge of the Sith novel had great pieces like you mentioned. I felt like there was so much Lucas had to fit into 3 films, that if he made it 4 or 5, it would have been amazing.

There were a lot of scenes in the revenge of the sith novels that were just fantastic. The scene where Anakin finds out that Palpatine is a Sith Lord is so fantastically done, and the seduction discussion was so excellent. It was more about saving his wife or being mad at a jedi. It was Sidious simply asking Anakin "What do you want?" "What do you want to be?" In the end it wasn't about what Anakin wanted, Sidious told him that he could have anything that he wanted, all he had to find was the desire to take it no matter what the cost. in the end Anakin's fall wasn't about "what he did to Mace" he accepted that price because he knew that the Jedi would never accept it. By the time that Anakin showed up for the Mace Sidious fight he was already practically Sith, he just needed that little push that Palpatine provided.

Sidious and his manipulations of Anakin through the novel was so much better. The last chapter after Anakin is transformed in Vader was completely awesome because only then does he realize the price of his desire for power, and how completely Sidious played him

This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker, forever:

The first dawn of light in your universe brings pain. The light burns you. It will always burn you. Part of you will always lie upon black glass sand beside a lake of fire while flames chew upon your flesh.

You can hear yourself breathing. It comes hard, and harsh, and it scrapes nerves already raw, but you cannot stop it. You can never stop it. You cannot even slow it down.

You don’t even have lungs anymore.

Mechanisms hardwired into your chest breathe for you. They will pump oxygen into your bloodstream forever.

Lord Vader? Lord Vader, can you hear me? And you can’t, not in the way you once did. Sensors in the shell that prisons your head trickle meaning directly into your brain.

You open your scorched-pale eyes; optical sensors integrate light and shadow into a hideous simulacrum of the world around you.

Or perhaps the simulacrum is perfect, and it is the world that is hideous.

Padme? Are you here? Are you all right?

Your try to say, but another voice speaks for you, out from the vocabulator that serves you for burned-away lips and tongue and throat.

“Padme? Are you here? Are you all right?”

I’m very sorry, Lord Vader. I’m afraid she died. It seems in your anger, you killed her.

This burns hotter than the lava had.

“No…no, it is not possible!”

You loved her. You will always love her. You could never will her death.

Never.

But you remember…

You remember all of it.

You remember the dragon that you brought Vader forth from your heart to slay. You remember the cold venom in Vader’s blood. You remember the furnace of Vader’s fury, and the black hatred of seizing her throat to silence her lying mouth-
And there is one blazing moment in which you finally understand that there was no dragon. That there was no Vader. That there was only you. Only Anakin Skywalker.

That it was all you. Is you.

Only you.

You did it.

You killed her.

You killed her because, finally, when you could have saved her, when you could have gone away with her, when you could have been thinking about her, you were thinking about yourself…

It is in this blazing moment that you finally understand the trap of the dark side, the final cruelty of the Sith-
Because now yourself is all you will ever have.

And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less now than what you were, you are more than half machine, your are like a painter gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power you can touch is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow.

In the end, you do not even want to.

In the end, the shadow is all you have left.

Because the shadow understands you, the shadow forgives you, the shadow gathers you unto itself-

And within your furnace hart, you burn in your own flame.

This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Forever…

Reactions: x Tame Impala

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Also there was some great dialogue that shows the arrogance and the viciousness of the newly born Darth Vader. He was mocking the Seperatists as he killed them.

Just paraphrasing after he showed up.

Once Seperatist begged for her life and said "Lord Sidious promised us a handsome reward" Anakin replied "Don't you find me handsome" and beheaded her. in the movie the one begged "Lord Sidious promised us we'd be left in peace" In the novel Anakin shot back "The transmission was garbled he promised you'd be left in pieces" and then rammed his lightsaber through his head.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

I swear, read Dark Lord the Rise of Darth Vader. Its that exact story. Anakin is so conflicted and self hating and doesn't know his place in the world in that novel at the start, and goes through this slow journey where he's completely obsessed with the Jedi and feels incomplete. In the background you have Sidious almost despairing because he knows that Vader is just a mess, and might never become what Sidious wants him to become which is a true Sith at his own jeopardy.

If you read ROTS and Dark Lord you also get the truth of what Palpatine told Anakin, that good and evil is a point of view. Palpatine doesn't see himself as evil and knows that he had to overcome any sense of morality to bring peace and order to the galaxy. Anakin needed to face his choices in life to become Darth Vader.

There was really a golden age of EU that happened right around the time that Attack of the Clones came out, and the novels of the old republic and the clone wars/rise of the empire were really really good. Its a shame that the new EU novels have been pretty bad.

Reactions: x Tame Impala
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad