Online Series: Star Trek: Picard season 3

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It was awesome hearing Walter Koenig again and naming him Anton as a tribute to Anton Yelchin.

One problems though:

-He's born in 2245. So let's say he doesn't have a son until at latest 2300 after his career with the Enterprise and Starfleet is done (he goes full sugar daddy), his son would have to be at oldest just over 100, or at youngest, 80+. It should have been his grandson.

Also about age:

-The "Worf" take a nap thing...somewhat related. He's only 60 in human years. Klingons live for 200+ years. He's not THAT old. At most he's the equivalent of a late-30s/early-40s human male.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
After season 3 of Picard my thoughts about Star Trek and the series:

Lots of nostalgia, but do wish we got some new villans, but it is what it is.
Not pleased with the use of the Enterprise name at the end. It should be for the best ship in the fleet at the time. Enterprises, from C onwards don't appear to last in service long. I get that if it's the top of the line ship that it gets put into dangerous situations, so more likely to suffer crippling damage than lower class ships will. So, get that they may not last 20 years in service. But, darn, they go through that many in less than 40 years?

Just me, cause all of the ships look the same on these Picard series, I don't like reusing names like Intrepid/Excelsior when they are the names of a class of ship. So, unless those class names are treated like SUV/Sedan/Truck, etc which are more for the purpose of the vessel, kind of weird that the name is re-used for a different class. I mean, the Enterprise has gone from Constellation to Galaxy, to Sovereign, to Odessy classes for example.

I would like a Star Trek series in the future, vs the ones like Discovery, Strange New Worlds, that go into the past. See if they have a budget and writing for something interesting. If they can't then I can do without a new series.

Didn't like the starfleet uniforms I saw on Picard. I think the best I have seen would be the ones from TNG movies with the grey shoulders. But, I do prefer a collar. Like keep the look of the grey but move it up to a collar. And then give a strip right under the grey to denote the field the officer is in red/yellow/blue. So, that you get the color but everyone looks more uniform than large splashes of different color. I really like this fan made one:

With Klingons and age. Hard to say how a species ages. Just because they live twice as long as a human would doesn't main that they remain in their peak for double the time. Like, Worf didn't take 30 years to age out of his teenage period. Klingons may spend most of that extra 100 years as more of a senior citizen. But, I don't follow any of the Star Trek lore stuff to know.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Absolutely loved the season 3 brought me back to childhood watching TNG total 10/10.
That makes it doubly more annoying season 1 and 2 were total crap. And Q was never going to die permanently camoon his omnipotent.

Reactions: Jussi

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
People are looking at the Q thing to specifically as the character and not enough for what he symbolizes. Just because the last generation passed the trial doesn’t mean this one has passed it too. Its continuous and without end. That’s what Q is supposed to represent.

Anyway, I thought the episode and season was fun. It was never going to be the Star Trek that was about exploration so I just sat back and enjoyed the ride with the crew. It was enough to satisfy me.

Reactions: Jussi

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I binged Season 3 in about 3-4 days just after the final aired. Generally I liked it. A bit much with the nostalgia, but I definitely liked some of it. I didn’t mind the Borg being involved, but the lack of drones and the Queen/Starfleet fleet not being stronger was a miss for me. I really liked Vadic and was very happy to have Changelings back. The biggest issue/question for me though was why was Vadic working with the Borg? Mutual enemy in the Federation?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I binged Season 3 in about 3-4 days just after the final aired. Generally I liked it. A bit much with the nostalgia, but I definitely liked some of it. I didn’t mind the Borg being involved, but the lack of drones and the Queen/Starfleet fleet not being stronger was a miss for me. I really liked Vadic and was very happy to have Changelings back. The biggest issue/question for me though was why was Vadic working with the Borg? Mutual enemy in the Federation?
Changling skillset is espionage and infiltration. Borg is technology. Guess the old adage of the enemy of my enemy is my friend applies here.

Kind of wonder what happened to starfleet following these event. How many senior or older officers died during the takeovers? What percentage of star fleet was lost?

Probably a reason why Jack got fast tracked as well. Similar to during the Dominion war as star fleet needed to replenish their ranks. Lost
Somewhere between 1/3 to half the fleet.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Changling skillset is espionage and infiltration. Borg is technology. Guess the old adage of the enemy of my enemy is my friend applies here.

Kind of wonder what happened to starfleet following these event. How many senior or older officers died during the takeovers? What percentage of star fleet was lost?

Probably a reason why Jack got fast tracked as well. Similar to during the Dominion war as star fleet needed to replenish their ranks. Lost
Somewhere between 1/3 to half the fleet.
Perfect reason to turn into the Edmonton Oilers and hire people who used to play for you but are in fact utter shite outside of it or fast track recently retired or newly drafted players who should be in the minors/Europe.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Always wondered with Worf How his exit from DS9 and subsequent return to the enterprise E would have played out had the actress playing Jadzia not left before the final season to do the Becker series with Ted Danson.
Figure they leave DS9 together. They’d both have to return to the Enterprise. Maybe they have a kid and she’s getting the kid(S) ready for moving to the Enterprise E for Nemesis movie.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So I just finished Season 3.

Was it manipulative and bombastic and corny and ridiculous and cringeworthy?

Absolutely it was.

Was I riveted and entertained?

Absolutely.

It's like they just decided to throw every single great Star Trek memory into one gigantic send-off:
-Remember the Wrath of Khan battle in the Nebula? Let's do that.
-Remember Kirk's painful relationship with his son whom he had unknowingly abandoned? Let's do that.
-Remember Lore and Data? Sure.
-Remember the whole Starfleet conspiracy thing, being framed and then being on the run? Yup.
-Remember the two most insidious villians, the Borg and the Changelings? Throw them in.
-Remember the poker game that ended the series? Again, please!
-Remember Ro Laren? YES!
-Remember the Borg Queen? Woo!
-Remember searching through crew effects to find a saboteur? So fun!
-Remember Captain Shelby? Ew, yes. Nelson laugh.
-Remember when they birthed giant space monsters? Put that in.
-Remember the Enterprise-D? Si.
-Remember Tuvok? Chekov? The Klingon Bird of Prey from Star Trek IV? More! More!

It's quite possible the largest commitment to fan service that I've ever seen in any medium. They kind of threw a bunch of the movies into a blender and pumped out this.

The dialogue? Corny and smile-inducing at the same time.

At times, the cheese was so dense you would need a gondola to blunder through it, poling yourself determinedly through the scented thickness.

But, as I reflected, Gene Roddenberry's future was always going to be a bit Epcot, so maybe they're just dad-jokers due to their extremely progressive and compassionate environment.

The cynic in me winces at every one of Riker's knowing smiles, or every Worf new-age thinking punchline. The optimist in me sighs blissfully.

Seven of Nine didn't annoy me as much? I kind of dug the buddy cop vibe between Worf and Raffi? The special effects were pretty good? I was shocked.

What also surprised me is how much I actually liked most of the new characters.

I found Captain Shaw to be basically importing Sheriff Hopper from Stranger Things and giving him a red uniform, and it still worked somehow. Picard's son was given the brooding tortured Hayden Christiansen role and managed as best as he could. LaForge's daughter was a trope but still heart-warming.

They clearly spent a lot of time on the cinematography and lighting the scenes effectively. It was like a higher budget version of the series.

The fireworks were a pretty hilarious metaphor for what this series basically was. KA-POW! WEE!! AHHH!

Was formation mode a ridiculous idea? Sure. Does it mean yet again that a civilization-destroying threat can be eliminated with one precise targeted explosion, and everyone miraculously goes back to normal? Sure. Did they give away the plot in the credits of the first episode when they kept showing DNA strands everywhere? Ok. Could the Borg actually be more threatening if they didn't just sit there as their opposition actively worked against them? Maybe that's the kind of evolution they need? Oh well.

But it really felt like watching TNG the show as if that cast was going through Star Trek II, III and VI simultaneously with a bit of First Contact thrown in.

And I enjoyed the ride.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So I just finished Season 3.

Was it manipulative and bombastic and corny and ridiculous and cringeworthy?

Absolutely it was.

Was I riveted and entertained?

Absolutely.

It's like they just decided to throw every single great Star Trek memory into one gigantic send-off:
-Remember the Wrath of Khan battle in the Nebula? Let's do that.
-Remember Kirk's painful relationship with his son whom he had unknowingly abandoned? Let's do that.
-Remember Lore and Data? Sure.
-Remember the whole Starfleet conspiracy thing, being framed and then being on the run? Yup.
-Remember the two most insidious villians, the Borg and the Changelings? Throw them in.
-Remember the poker game that ended the series? Again, please!
-Remember Ro Laren? YES!
-Remember the Borg Queen? Woo!
-Remember searching through crew effects to find a saboteur? So fun!
-Remember Captain Shelby? Ew, yes. Nelson laugh.
-Remember when they birthed giant space monsters? Put that in.
-Remember the Enterprise-D? Si.
-Remember Tuvok? Chekov? The Klingon Bird of Prey from Star Trek IV? More! More!

It's quite possible the largest commitment to fan service that I've ever seen in any medium. They kind of threw a bunch of the movies into a blender and pumped out this.

The dialogue? Corny and smile-inducing at the same time.

At times, the cheese was so dense you would need a gondola to blunder through it, poling yourself determinedly through the scented thickness.

But, as I reflected, Gene Roddenberry's future was always going to be a bit Epcot, so maybe they're just dad-jokers due to their extremely progressive and compassionate environment.

The cynic in me winces at every one of Riker's knowing smiles, or every Worf new-age thinking punchline. The optimist in me sighs blissfully.

Seven of Nine didn't annoy me as much? I kind of dug the buddy cop vibe between Worf and Raffi? The special effects were pretty good? I was shocked.

What also surprised me is how much I actually liked most of the new characters.

I found Captain Shaw to be basically importing Sheriff Hopper from Stranger Things and giving him a red uniform, and it still worked somehow. Picard's son was given the brooding tortured Hayden Christiansen role and managed as best as he could. LaForge's daughter was a trope but still heart-warming.

They clearly spent a lot of time on the cinematography and lighting the scenes effectively. It was like a higher budget version of the series.

The fireworks were a pretty hilarious metaphor for what this series basically was. KA-POW! WEE!! AHHH!

Was formation mode a ridiculous idea? Sure. Does it mean yet again that a civilization-destroying threat can be eliminated with one precise targeted explosion, and everyone miraculously goes back to normal? Sure. Did they give away the plot in the credits of the first episode when they kept showing DNA strands everywhere? Ok. Could the Borg actually be more threatening if they didn't just sit there as their opposition actively worked against them? Maybe that's the kind of evolution they need? Oh well.

But it really felt like watching TNG the show as if that cast was going through Star Trek II, III and VI simultaneously with a bit of First Contact thrown in.

And I enjoyed the ride.

Great post. Sums up pretty much exactly how I feel about the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad