Online Series: Star Trek: Picard season 3

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I've not particularly enjoyed Picard S1 and S2 (there were parts I liked, to be fair), but I have to admit I'm nerdily excited for the return of the TNG cast. I will go in with an open mind.

Loved that little teaser honestly.

Though I gotta ask....they are obviously going full on nostalgia this season, and they ship they chose was....the Titan? Seems like an odd choice?

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The last two seasons give me no hope and we should know by now that just bringing back familiar characters doesn't make a series or movie good.
Though I gotta ask....they are obviously going full on nostalgia this season, and they ship they chose was....the Titan? Seems like an odd choice?

Reactions: sxvnert

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The last two seasons give me no hope and we should know by now that just bringing back familiar characters doesn't make a series or movie good.

Well that's....interesting...

Still seems like a strange choice of marketing, including the fact that this Titan isn't even Riker's Titan, which itself is only a ship we've really seen in Lower Decks....I think?

That said, I like the look of it.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
No thanks. S1&2 were hot trash.

Only thing I'm remotely interested in is to see weather or not the TNG era Klingons make a come back with Worf reappearing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. I'm sure season 3 might be enjoyable in a fast food kind of way but it's all nostalgia. Shocker. This is the trend in Hollywood. Give *us* what they think we should have only to relent and give *us* what we want.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Bringing everybody back is an act of desperation.

BUT, if Rob says it's good I believe him. Terry Matalas may have had his name on the previous season, but he really had nothing to do with it. This season the dopes like Kurtzman and Goldsman were out of the way and Terry was able to do his thing.

I enjoyed what I saw of the 12 Monkeys show Matalas worked on.

So as bad as S1 and S2 were, I will be checking this out.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No thanks. S1&2 were hot trash.

Only thing I'm remotely interested in is to see weather or not the TNG era Klingons make a come back with Worf reappearing.
RMB thought exactly the same. That's why he's astonished on the turnaround for season 3. 20 minutes into the first episode, the interaction with Riker and Picard felt like classic TNG to him.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
RMB thought exactly the same. That's why he's astonished on the turnaround for season 3. 20 minutes into the first episode, the interaction with Riker and Picard felt like classic TNG to him.
I've been surprised before by 'Nu-Trek' (Lower Decks). So time will tell.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Rather than fretting over motives for why they're bringing back the TNG cast, my plan is to enjoy watching them. Period. You can argue the show is pandering to its audience, but think of it this way: The reason we like these characters is because they're well-developed and have great chemistry. There's nothing gimmicky about good characters; in fact, that's the core of any good show. It's not like they're beaming up Elvis or churning out another Spock iteration; we're going to reunite with the original actors 30 years later.

That premise worked beautifully for Tom Cruise in Maverick. Why shouldn't it be as cool for Picard?

"Because they'll f*** it up, that's why!"

Maybe. But the episodes with Riker and Troi (back in S1, right?) were well-acted and very good. There was an undeniable charm watching the dynamics between Picard and his former First Officer. Provided S3 can maintain orbit around the TNG cast and not spiral into mindless, overcooked battles, S3 will be a nice coda to the classic series that gave us Jean-Luc Picard.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Picard has broadly been "shut up and watch, it's nostalgia, ignore the plot". I doubt it'll be THAT much different by bringing back more of the cast, but that's fine. It doesn't need to be picked apart within an inch of its life if you enjoy just seeing the characters again.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
For it to be nice to see the characters again, they have to act like themselves, as well. This show's Picard doesn't act like TNG's Picard, IMO, and it's more depressing than enjoyable to watch. Riker and Troi were OK in S1, but those were just cameos and we've yet to see how they're written over a whole season.

Seeing everyone together again will no doubt please a lot of fans, but what's important to me is the feeling. It's why I love The Orville, which has the feeling of TNG even though all of the names and faces are different. I enjoy that more than seeing characters that I love returning in something that doesn't feel like what I love them from.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Picard - "What's that smell?"
LaForge - "I think Worf filled his depends"
Crusher jolts up from a nap - "Who are you people" stares over at Troi "I don't like the looks of you missy, get off of my lawn"

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Bringing back all the original cast is an act of desperation and pandering. BUT, that doesn't mean it won't be good.

The hacks aren't writing season 3.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For it to be nice to see the characters again, they have to act like themselves, as well. This show's Picard doesn't act like TNG's Picard, IMO, and it's more depressing than enjoyable to watch. Riker and Troi were OK in S1, but those were just cameos and we've yet to see how they're written over a whole season.

Seeing everyone together again will no doubt please a lot of fans, but what's important to me is the feeling. It's why I love The Orville, which has the feeling of TNG even though all of the names and faces are different. I enjoy that more than seeing characters that I love returning in something that doesn't feel like what I love them from.
As a fan of TNG it wa a depressing to see what happened to the Federation since the end of DS9 and Voyager.

Star Trek is about a ship and her crew exploring space.

That wasn’t what Picard gave us.

As for the ships of the Titan and Enterprise kee in mind that like 20 years have passed. Those ships that Picard and Riker captained may have been either destroyed or decommissioned by now. But the names get recycled.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm skeptical. Season One had some good ideas but inconsistent.

If it makes sense, great. We're all here to find out if the Enterprise-E is still around or see the newest version of the ship.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
As a fan of TNG it wa a depressing to see what happened to the Federation since the end of DS9 and Voyager.

Star Trek is about a ship and her crew exploring space.

That wasn’t what Picard gave us.

As for the ships of the Titan and Enterprise kee in mind that like 20 years have passed. Those ships that Picard and Riker captained may have been either destroyed or decommissioned by now. But the names get recycled.
To be fair and it's been established is that Picard is only the story as told through JLP. Starfleet was already very militarized by the time of DS9 and Voyager due to Wolf 359/Borg threat and the Dominion War. The 2280s were about war recovery but also the Romulan Relocation and android attack on Mars.

It seems by Picard that Starfleet is starting to get back to exploring as evident by the more casual uniforms (the colors as opposed to the later DS9 grey shoulder unis). Riker was already doing that with the Titan in the 2280s.

Riker has one line in season one where he talked about his son Thad growing up on different ships so at some point he got at least one more ship after the Titan (maybe Tuvok eventually took it over). Worf had the Enterprise-E for at least 5-6 years into the 2280s (at the time of Romulan Relocation Worf was Captain). The Enterprise-E would therefore be the third longest tenured Enterprise beating A, C, D but behind the original and B.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
New teaser with more detail. Unsurprisingly, Spiner is Lore.

I have major login issues with this website, and particularly this forum. Gymnastics to login here.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I have major login issues with this website, and particularly this forum. Gymnastics to login here.
I have no issues. Check your browser settings. Perhaps you're restricting or blocking cookies across all sites or just HF. If you can't figure it out, there should be a button in the browser settings somewhere to reset to default settings.

Last edited:

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I have no issues. Check your browser settings. Perhaps you're blocking 3rd-party cookies or HF, in particular. If you can't figure it out, there should be a button in the browser settings somewhere to reset to default settings.
Thanks for the tips. I'll check my settings. Just logging back in to reply to you took several attempts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad