my complaints are

1) That voice at the beginning should have been a cameo at the end
2) No Colm Meaney
3) Tag scene was not needed
4) Too nicely wrapped up in 44 minutes

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I enjoyed the last 15 minutes of the final episode. Everything after "one year later". It was about as fitting of a wrap to the series as you could really ask for.

All the action schlock that preceded it just reminded me of the TNG movies. Didn't much care for it.

Overall Picard S3 is easily the best Star Trek Paramount+ has made. But that's not saying much.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
My ratings for Paramount+ live action Star Trek:

Picard S3 5.5/10
Picard S2 1/10
Picard S1 3/10

Strange New Worlds 5/10

Discovery 2.5/10

Last edited:

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Should have gone all the way and had Jacob P. Kirk make a cameo as well.
James_Simmonds2-622x510.jpg

In all seriousness, shame that Alexander Rozhenko was thrown into the garbage can by Worf. Complete failure of a father.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
After Episode 5 I was very satisfied and said this season is a win....well while it's still a win, episodes 6-10 I really disliked. My final score for the season is a 5.5/10.

Episode 10:

-The fight with the Borg/first 40 minutes was basically a 90s PC CD-Rom game cut scenes. The Borg Queen's exposition almost put me to sleep.

-The crew on the Enterprise-D, it felt like when they'd get Adam West and Burt Ward back as Batman and Robin in the 80s/90s for telethons.

-So the Enterprise-D was the Millennium Falcon and they basically did the Death Star II Trench Run?

-As Dave Cullen said, the Enterprise-D pulling up on Picard/Jack/Riker/Worf was a Bad Boys moment.

-While I appreciate the nod to Majel Barret (and the earlier shout out to Anton Yelchin was cool too), Stewart/Frakes/Burton looking at the camera and directly at us....may as well have been the Three's Company finale when Lucille Ball went into the apartment and signed off.

-How was Jack not tried for war crimes?

-That line about fanfare......you guys are so funny and clever.

-Enterprise-G is too tiny and not flagship caliber.

-The card game at the end....while it was nice and sentimental and the actors all kind of broke character and were just being themselves, a little redundant.

-The end credit scene....so you're saying season two was a complete waste?

My issue with the ending is they basically soft rebooted everything after All Good Things. I know at the time especially from Generations a lot of people were unhappy with character and creative decisions, it just felt a little too forced for me.

Reactions: Guardian17

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Could someone fill me in on the time gap between the enterprise D, E, F?

D was lost in generations movie. Thus went well before her time.

E lasted 3 movies thus a few years in time and then after Nemesis, Picard was still captain for 6 more years. Before stepping down. So at least a dozen years for the E until whatever Worf did to it per S3E9 of Picard. So, sounds like the E was lost as well.

We see the F in Ep 9. No clue how old this ship is.

What was the noted time difference in years between Nemesis to the Picard seasons?

Trying to figure out how long ships should remain in service. As the Titan was the one Riker got but it was later retro-fitted. I figure it's around 20-25 years for most ships to remain in service as new technology would require older ships to be decommissioned.

First Contact came out in 1996 of it's 27 years from then to Picard Season 3. If E lasted at least 12 years for Picard as Captain, that doesn't seem like a long time for the F to be around. Was the time gap from Nemesis to Picard longer than the 20 years of our time?

Enterprise D was around from 2364-2371 until Generations/Veridian III crash landing.

Enterprise E was around from 2372-2385. Picard left in 2381 to be an Admiral and take over the USS Verity (Odyssey Class and a predecessor to the Enteprirse-F) as part of the Romulan Relocation efforts. Worf became Captain of that ship for four years until it was heavily destroyed or damaged (maybe during the Protostar Incident from Star Trek: Prodigy).

Enteprise F was around from 2386-2401. It was decommissioned early after critical systems damage.

So basically, NX-01 was around for ten years I think. NCC-1701 for 40+ if you count the refits, NCC-1701-A for seven years, NCC-1701-B for 30+, NCC-1701-C for 12 years, NCC-1701-D for a little over seven plus the Picard Season Three stuff, NCC-1701-E for thirteen years, and NCC-1701-F for fifteen years.

Reactions: Guardian17

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
There were definitely flaws in that episode.

However, having endured the lecturing of Discovery and the first two seasons of Picard, it was nice to be entertained again.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
4/10 for me. There were portions of the this season early on where I thought they might have something solid but then it just got redundant. When every episode is about life and death, future of humanity, and I hate to say, pointless action sequences, it gets really boring. Like I'm waiting for the hilarious battle just to end to see it wrap up.

I go back to this scene earlier in the season, more of this. Create actual tension and drama in the episodes. Build up to the action in a meaningful way.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Action was never the strength of TNG.

It always felt a bit awkward and often forced.

The Enterprise itself, and Starfleet ships in general, don’t look right engaged in high maneuver action sequences.

The cast is also not well suited to action.

For 40 minutes the Picard season 3 finale delivers some of the dumbest pulpiest action schlock you’ll see. It went full on JJ Abrams.

The writers don’t seem to care much about science fiction. The trashy sci-fi elements of the show are meant to advance the plot, bring back the original cast, and give them their ‘happily ever after’ moment.

While there was silly episodes of TNG at times, the show had themes of secular humanism, logic, reason and science. Picard on the other hand is about emotion and sentimentalities; delivered in a CGI orgy of contemporary sci-if action melodrama.

Like all of modern Star Trek the show was a vehicle for nostalgia. What’s supposed to be a vast expansive galaxy is made to feel like it exists in a closet. The more we keep bumping into characters we’ve seen before, the smaller the galaxy feels.

If season 3 of Picard is the best modern Star Trek can do, then the franchise is truly dead.

Hard pass on “Terry Trek” for me.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Enterprise D was around from 2364-2371 until Generations/Veridian III crash landing.

Enterprise E was around from 2372-2385. Picard left in 2381 to be an Admiral and take over the USS Verity (Odyssey Class and a predecessor to the Enteprirse-F) as part of the Romulan Relocation efforts. Worf became Captain of that ship for four years until it was heavily destroyed or damaged (maybe during the Protostar Incident from Star Trek: Prodigy).

Enteprise F was around from 2386-2401. It was decommissioned early after critical systems damage.

So basically, NX-01 was around for ten years I think. NCC-1701 for 40+ if you count the refits, NCC-1701-A for seven years, NCC-1701-B for 30+, NCC-1701-C for 12 years, NCC-1701-D for a little over seven plus the Picard Season Three stuff, NCC-1701-E for thirteen years, and NCC-1701-F for fifteen years.
Thanks. Seems like the enterprises meet an early end from C onwards.

C lost to the Romulans to defend the Klingons.

D lost to the Duross sisters less than a decade into service.

E, based on what you said only 15 years. At the time of its addition to the Fleet, was the top vessel of starfleet.

F, I would assume was also the top of the line vessel for Star Fleet.

Last 3 Enterprise Names were awarded to the top of the line vessel at the time.

That's why I wasn't a fan of the ending of Picard with regards to the Enterprise Name.

Guess for budget purposes they weren't going to do a new set for a 15 second wide shot scene of the Bridge.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Thanks. Seems like the enterprises meet an early end from C onwards.

C lost to the Romulans to defend the Klingons.

D lost to the Duross sisters less than a decade into service.

E, based on what you said only 15 years. At the time of its addition to the Fleet, was the top vessel of starfleet.

F, I would assume was also the top of the line vessel for Star Fleet.

Last 3 Enterprise Names were awarded to the top of the line vessel at the time.

That's why I wasn't a fan of the ending of Picard with regards to the Enterprise Name.

Guess for budget purposes they weren't going to do a new set for a 15 second wide shot scene of the Bridge.

It really depends on who is writing. Starfleet ships have always had widely inconsistent shelf lifes.

You have ships like the Reliant which at the time of WOK (2285) is considered a very old ship and had most likely been around during TOS, refitted, and then TMP and after, and the Stargazer and Excelsior which were around for decades, then you have Enterprises lasting only a decade plus.

It's even more confusing because the original Enterprise was around for 20+ years before the pre-TMP refit, goes on another five year mission, and then is deemed "too old" and turned into a Training Vessel either immediately after TMP, or a few years before WOK when it was state of the art. 1701-A it's been speculated was a refurbished vessel that was around from the TMP Era, but with an entirely new interior which would explain its decommissioning after Star Trek VI.

Enterprise is given to the most state of the art, best ship, with the best crew, that's why the ending felt so forced and stupid.

From a real life POV, I get that the Enterprise-F is a giant ship and what they did in Star Trek: Online would be hard to replicate especially for one scene. There are always alternatives or ways around it. Enterprise-G feels too much like a Voyager Intrepid-Level ship.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Action was never the strength of TNG.

It always felt a bit awkward and often forced.

The Enterprise itself, and Starfleet ships in general, don’t look right engaged in high maneuver action sequences.

The cast is also not well suited to action.

For 40 minutes the Picard season 3 finale delivers some of the dumbest pulpiest action schlock you’ll see. It went full on JJ Abrams.

The writers don’t seem to care much about science fiction. The trashy sci-fi elements of the show are meant to advance the plot, bring back the original cast, and give them their ‘happily ever after’ moment.

While there was silly episodes of TNG at times, the show had themes of secular humanism, logic, reason and science. Picard on the other hand is about emotion and sentimentalities; delivered in a CGI orgy of contemporary sci-if action melodrama.

Like all of modern Star Trek the show was a vehicle for nostalgia. What’s supposed to be a vast expansive galaxy is made to feel like it exists in a closet. The more we keep bumping into characters we’ve seen before, the smaller the galaxy feels.

If season 3 of Picard is the best modern Star Trek can do, then the franchise is truly dead.

Hard pass on “Terry Trek” for me.

Nostalgia and references is a general trend and problem for any established franchise. As long as they get people in the door is all that matters.

A lot of that has to do with comics movies where everyone has to get their favorite character in a move and talk about it on social media.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
One thing to be destroyed like the C to D that we saw. But to be decommissioned like they say the F was seems too short a time to be in service.

Figured ships would be designed to last 20-25 years.

They should have Been able to green screen the last scene for a new one if they aren’t building a new set. Which would have been expensive for just a short scene.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I hate seeing the Enterprise maneuver like an X-Wing. It's a command ship. It's huge. It should be moving like the big bulky ship that it is.

Reactions: Roo Returns

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I hate seeing the Enterprise maneuver like an X-Wing. It's a command ship. It's huge. It should be moving like the big bulky ship that it is.
I agree. It’s not the Defiant or Voyager. Its defence is size and strength not speed and agility. But, the ship is old and weapons outdated. Not getting into a firefight with the Borg.

Seems like top gun maverick type nostalgia.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I agree. It’s not the Defiant or Voyager. Its defence is size and strength not speed and agility. But, the ship is old and weapons outdated. Not getting into a firefight with the Borg.

Seems like top gun maverick type nostalgia.
More like The Rise of Skywalker.

I thought a lot of this episode was indistinguishable from the type of trash JJ Abrams would make. Right down to even mimicking Star Wars.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
-How was Jack not tried for war crimes?

-The end credit scene....so you're saying season two was a complete waste?
Why should he? He was under Borg control. And as Seven showed, save the universe, you get a pass and a promotion.

So very HFBoards of you think time as linear. This wasn't the same Q who died at the end of season 2 but one from a different time.

By the way, the reason why the crew were always paired up, was Covid. This was apparently confirmed.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Why should he? He was under Borg control. And as Seven showed, save the universe, you get a pass and a promotion.

So very HFBoards of you think time as linear. This wasn't the same Q who died at the end of season 2 but one from a different time.

By the way, the reason why the crew were always paired up, was Covid. This was apparently confirmed.
Worf has saved countless lives, won many battles, and done many other remarkable things. He was then beraded by Sisko for straying from the mission objective and nearly ruining everything. Then he was stripped (unofficially, though officially) of any future commands of his own.

Bashir has saved too many lives to count. Researched and developed numerous medical treatments and cures. And many other things. And yet, he was still nearly thrown in prison for being augmented. Thankfully for him he wasn't, but at the cost of his parents who died on that hill for him.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Worf has saved countless lives, won many battles, and done many other remarkable things. He was then beraded by Sisko for straying from the mission objective and nearly ruining everything. Then he was stripped (unofficially, though officially) of any future commands of his own.

Bashir has saved too many lives to count. Researched and developed numerous medical treatments and cures. And many other things. And yet, he was still nearly thrown in prison for being augmented. Thankfully for him he wasn't, but at the cost of his parents who died on that hill for him.
Again, save the universe, you get a pass. It was the same with the TOS crew.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
While Jack was "under Borg control" he stole a Starfleet shuttle and willingly went to the Nebula/Sector/etc. to join the Borg.

I get it, they can't overcomplicate it and everyone gets a happy ending, however we've seen in other franchises not to mention Star Trek that the heroes have repercussions for saving the day and destroying property/wrecking a city (Ghostbusters and Snyder's Superman come to mind).

Rather than have him be an Ensign on the Enterprise, how about leave his ending a little ambiguous and if they do a Legacy show, he's forced to do community service for 3-5 years or something like that? Even go to the same prison as Tom Paris was in to start Voyager (how's that for a little Easter Egg?).

I get what @Jussi is saying that this isn't the same Q, but from an audience POV.....we saw him die end of Season 2. Why bring him back? What's the point? It's a giant middle finger to the audience and an admission that the writers and creators wasted our time for a season that outside of a few scenes on the Stargazer and the Rios stuff, was a waste.

It's Star Trek, the universe is infinite. Yet you go to the same well over and over just to get some posts on social media or an "ooooh" from the crowd.

It's more "yeah, but...." arguments.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
While Jack was "under Borg control" he stole a Starfleet shuttle and willingly went to the Nebula/Sector/etc. to join the Borg.

I get it, they can't overcomplicate it and everyone gets a happy ending, however we've seen in other franchises not to mention Star Trek that the heroes have repercussions for saving the day and destroying property/wrecking a city (Ghostbusters and Snyder's Superman come to mind).

Rather than have him be an Ensign on the Enterprise, how about leave his ending a little ambiguous and if they do a Legacy show, he's forced to do community service for 3-5 years or something like that? Even go to the same prison as Tom Paris was in to start Voyager (how's that for a little Easter Egg?).

I get what @Jussi is saying that this isn't the same Q, but from an audience POV.....we saw him die end of Season 2. Why bring him back? What's the point? It's a giant middle finger to the audience and an admission that the writers and creators wasted our time for a season that outside of a few scenes on the Stargazer and the Rios stuff, was a waste.

It's Star Trek, the universe is infinite. Yet you go to the same well over and over just to get some posts on social media or an "ooooh" from the crowd.

It's more "yeah, but...." arguments.
I mean the whole Q Continuum is confusing/complicated/messy in general, that has left the door open for all sorts of potential story lines that would leave your head scratching. Time and space are inherently far more different to them than us. So basically they might now how and when they are going to die and choose to do things in their present/past that won't affect that ending. Essentially they have the option of doing "what would happen if I did this?" and undo it. So the Q talking to Jack is a younger version of the one that dies and knows when he's going to die and what he did with Picard for example. The Q who dies in season 2 already toyed with Jack in his past. That's the kind of possibilities the whole Q Continuum opens up. Q Continuum = endless plot holes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad