Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - III - Spock's Beard

archangel2

May 19, 2019
looking forward to the Strange New Worlds series. Discovery just too all over the place

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm excited for Strange New Worlds because nuSpock wasn't awful, Anson Mount killed it as Pike, and I'm always good with giving Rebecca Romijn a chance because she's better than she usually gets credit for.

Discovery though? I'm done. I don't think I can go back to that junk.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I'm not really excited for Strange New Worlds because STD is shit and Picard was a disappointment. But yes, Anson Mount was awesome as Pike and that is why I'm gonna give this show a chance.
I'll give Picard another chance because of Q but the previews did nothing for me.
I stopped watching STD with about 4 or 5 episodes left in the last season and do not intend to watch it anymore. What a disgrace to the Star Trek brand.
However, can't wait for The Orville. :D

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'll probably give Strange New Worlds a few episodes because Anson Mount has proven he can carry a show and he was good as Pike. Won't stick around long if it's bad though.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Has everyone given up on Discovery? I started the last season, and I found it better organized, more substance to the stories and after episode 4, Tilly is gone.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I watch if pretty casually now. Its awful. This season is terrible. They've just recreated the burn again. Its all about Michael everyone else is furniture, 2 dimensional and boring. Right now Book is the best character on the show and its not even close. Even the two new crew members, that were suppossed to be some inspirational angle salute to the LBGTQ community are horribly bland and boring and goofy.

The writing is bad, the dialogue is worse. But at least they have heavy metal concert fire blasters on the bridge.

I used to think that Voyager was the worst thing in Star Trek, but Discovery has lapped it. I'm hoping that this is the last season and Michael does something stupid that gets the Discovery crushed by the Anomaly.

However we all know where this is going, we can see it with the painfully bad lectures of the Federation President by Michael. That's right, we're getting President Michael and Vice President Tilly.

And no Tilly isn't gone, they're going to Saru her. They'll tease her leaving and she'll be back in a couple of episodes to stink up the screen. I mean, there's no way that a prat falling, inexperienced self doubting person like her should be teaching cadets. But I guess her classes in group meetings during a crisis where I tell people that I love them as the oxygen runs out, and I handed command of my ship off to someone else during a battle will be sure sell outs. I mean, I really think its great if they bump Tilly for a couple of episodes because she's awful, but they've developed no other actual bridge characters to take their role and I can't figure out why they bothered to bring Saru back. He used to be a good character but now he's a chair there to tell Michael how awesome she is.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Has everyone given up on Discovery?

It looks like everyone who hated it has. Hoping for it to get getter or simply hate-watching it doesn't seem worth it any more. I imagine that some who like the series are still watching, but it's telling to me that even they apparently don't want to talk about this season.

On Rotten Tomatoes, this season has the lowest audience score (24%) of all 4 seasons, and that's from people who have stuck with the show. Quite a few of the scathing reviews are from people who indicate that they used to like it. The general consensus seems to be that the plot is unoriginal, it's not Star Trek and the characters spend most of their time talking and crying about their feelings. It sounds very unappealing to me.

At some point (maybe just before The Orville returns in March, so that I have that to wash away the bad taste), I might get bored and curious to see just how bad this season is for myself, but there are far better shows to watch right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Its been a mess since it first started but it has had some bright spots. With Pike for example and some decent stand alone espisodes. But they've never really developed most of the crew. They had the Android girl, and thought they'd write an emotional episode where they killed her. But all she had done before that was look at the camera. They hinted at a Detmer PTSD story (after her insta forgive of Michael which was just lazy) but dropped it, all better now. Tilly was there to be a prat fall supposed heart of the crew, but all she was is annoying and generally incompetent and they didn't do enough to care about her losing her way. They bought in the two blandest possible actors for the Binary couple. Stamets felt betrayed at the end of last year, quickly forgave Michael and now has pretty much become another quipping piece of furniture. Saru does this heart felt return home, and then he returns literally two days later. Its like they literally don't know how to write an ensemble cast, or they've making sure that that its all about Michael who solves everything and literally never fails or faces real meaningful consequences.

The mirror universe stuff was terrible. Instead of making it fairly interesting with the question of how can a species of people turn into brutal militarists. They felt like pirates in shiny uniforms. The Klingon's were awful and part of that was the lets make a cool change, and instead the make up and prosthetics made it impossible for them to act, emote, talk or look anything like actors in B movie makeup. They had the whole AI thing and then did a weird, convoluted plot device to go to the future. Made the burn that destroyed the ability to travel the result of what is basically a upset baby. Even Georgiou who could have been an interesting character into a one note homicidal ego maniac that really didn't add much because you know Michael.

I watch it because its Trek, and I hope for one brief moment that they get that and fix it. Instead its a show populated by an uber character surrounded by seat occupiers with pretty much uninteresting paint by number villains. I mean even replacing the Burn with this years universe destroying anomaly is just plain lazy and boring.

I'm hoping the new series with Mount is good, because he's that good of an actor to carry it. But its the same show runners doing it.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I watch if pretty casually now. Its awful. This season is terrible. They've just recreated the burn again. Its all about Michael everyone else is furniture, 2 dimensional and boring. Right now Book is the best character on the show and its not even close. Even the two new crew members, that were suppossed to be some inspirational angle salute to the LBGTQ community are horribly bland and boring and goofy.

The writing is bad, the dialogue is worse. But at least they have heavy metal concert fire blasters on the bridge.

I used to think that Voyager was the worst thing in Star Trek, but Discovery has lapped it. I'm hoping that this is the last season and Michael does something stupid that gets the Discovery crushed by the Anomaly.

However we all know where this is going, we can see it with the painfully bad lectures of the Federation President by Michael. That's right, we're getting President Michael and Vice President Tilly.

And no Tilly isn't gone, they're going to Saru her. They'll tease her leaving and she'll be back in a couple of episodes to stink up the screen. I mean, there's no way that a prat falling, inexperienced self doubting person like her should be teaching cadets. But I guess her classes in group meetings during a crisis where I tell people that I love them as the oxygen runs out, and I handed command of my ship off to someone else during a battle will be sure sell outs. I mean, I really think its great if they bump Tilly for a couple of episodes because she's awful, but they've developed no other actual bridge characters to take their role and I can't figure out why they bothered to bring Saru back. He used to be a good character but now he's a chair there to tell Michael how awesome she is.

It looks like everyone who hated it has. Hoping for it to get getter or simply hate watching it doesn't seem worth it any more. I imagine that some who like the series are still watching, but it seems telling to me that even they apparently don't want to talk about this season.

On Rotten Tomatoes, this season has the lowest audience score (24%) of all 4 seasons, and that's from people who have stuck with the show. Quite a few of the scathing reviews are from people who indicate that they used to like it. The general consensus seems to be that the plot is unoriginal, it's not Star Trek and the characters spend most of their time talking and crying about their feelings. It sounds very unappealing to me.

At some point (maybe just before The Orville returns in March, so that I have that to wash away the bad taste), I might get bored and curious to see just how bad this season is for myself, but there are far better shows to watch right now.

I completely agree with both your takes.

Have you noticed that in this timeline, heterosexual, white, human males are virtually extinct?

You can't spot one even in the background in any episode! :laugh:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I completely agree with both your takes.

Have you noticed that in this timeline, heterosexual, white, human males are virtually extinct?

You can't spot one even in the background in any episode! :laugh:

The um Admiral, unless I'm missing something from him, and that guy that walks across the bridge every 4 episodes. I tend to think that this was intentional and not accidental.

Reactions: Guardian17

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Nope, season 5 is pretty much confirmed. Showrunner has already been writing it.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The um Admiral, unless I'm missing something from him, and that guy that walks across the bridge every 4 episodes. I tend to think that this was intentional and not accidental.

Like I said, white, heterosexual, human males are virtually extinct, not, totally extinct! :laugh:

They are definitely not found among the crew of USS Discovery! :)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It looks like everyone who hated it has. Hoping for it to get getter or simply hate-watching it doesn't seem worth it any more. I imagine that some who like the series are still watching, but it's telling to me that even they apparently don't want to talk about this season.

This is Discovery's best season and the most old-school "Trekkian" one as well. Several members on TrekBBS who weren't fans of Discovery prior to this season are liking this one.

Give it a try, you never know, it might not be terrible. :DD

Reactions: Jussi

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
This is Discovery's best season and the most old-school "Trekkian" one as well. Several members on TrekBBS who weren't fans of Discovery prior to this season are liking this one.

Nice try but you are not tricking me. :P

But i'm surprised to find out there was already another season underway. Goes to show how much I don't care about STD anymore.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

No offense, but we've heard that every season. I think that it's natural for those who like what the show is about and the direction that it's going in to be increasingly happy with it. Conversely, those who disliked the series in the first place are liable to increasingly dislike it. In other words, if you think that it's the best season, there's a good chance that I'll hate it the most. I'm delighted by your optimism, though. :D

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No offense, but we've heard that every season. I think that it's natural for those who like what the show is about and the direction that it's going in to be increasingly happy with it. Conversely, those who disliked the series in the first place are liable to increasingly dislike it. In other words, if you think that it's the best season, there's a good chance that I'll hate it the most. I'm delighted by your optimism, though. :D
My second sentence should give you some genuine hope though. :)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My second sentence should give you some genuine hope though. :)

Yeah... no. :) If they've been hanging out at TrekBBS, watching the season since it started and like it, they were probably only lukewarm on the show before and were eager to like it. Those aren't my shoes. Now, if my comrades here were to all suddenly announce that they like Season 4, then I might get a teensy weensy bit of hope... maybe.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah... no. :) If they've been hanging out at TrekBBS, watching the season since it started and like it, they were probably only lukewarm on the show before and were eager to like it. Those aren't my shoes. Now, if my comrades here were to all suddenly announce that they like Season 4, then I might get a teensy weensy bit of hope... maybe.
Nah, they were rating episodes 4/10 previously. They definitely weren’t happy with the show before.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Nah, they were rating episodes 4/10 previously. They definitely weren’t happy with the show before.

That's still a lot better than I think of the show and suggests to me that they were just unhappy because they thought that the show had potential to be better. I'm unhappy with the show because my problems with it are at its core and not realistically fixable. Primarily, I can't see myself ever liking the show as long as Burnham is around, and Burnham is the show.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That's still a lot better than I think of the show and suggests to me that they were just unhappy because they thought that the show had potential to be better. I'm unhappy with the show because my problems with it are at its core and not realistically fixable. Primarily, I can't see myself ever liking the show as long as Burnham is around, and Burnham is the show.
The show is much less Burnham centric this season.

It's pretty similar to prime-TNG where the air time was divided mostly between Picard, Riker, Data and Worf. Except it's Burnham, Saru, Culber/Stamets and Book. It's also similar to prime-DS9 where a lot of recurring guest stars (Dukat, Garak, etc.) had significant air time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad