Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - III - Spock's Beard

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
BTW I groaned when Michael did the Vulcan neck pinch. I know that some human's have done it in the past, and I always groaned when they did it. Why not just call it the next pinch. Couldn't she have just pounded him over the head with something.

Reactions: Osprey

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I defended Michael against the mary sue label, but my god, I don't think I could defend against it in this episode. Why the admiral would trust her with so much at stake, when mere seconds before he was utterly committed to protecting the spore drive from The Emerald Chain, is beyond my understanding? The show forgoes logic and character motivations simply to force a positive character moment for Michael, but it doesn't feel earned.

Certainly Star Fleet officers are paragons, and borderline mary sues in general. But the contributing factor for Michael's mary sue label more apparent than any other trek show is that Michael is the protagonist. Meaning the writers spend every episode, every season, either building up to or delivering character moments for her at the expense of other characters. Just this season 3 finale episode alone denied other characters their moment.
-Booker was suppose to have his moment while he was being tortured, but instead of building his character, Michael is there and instead the scene makes it about her resisting Booker's torture and making him talk. And she's the one who helps them escape.
-Tilly should have had her moment to prove herself as a leader, coming up with a plan while trapped with life support. Maybe the writers could had her find a way to talk to Michael and coordinate a plan to stop Ossayra(spelling), but instead it's Michael who comes up with the plan of action and is the one who actually leads the ops.
The vast majority plot resolves or character development belongs to Michael. In Next Generation secondary characters got time to shine and at times at the expense of Picard. Same for Original with Kirk, even The Voyager with Janeway. The only ones that come close is Saru. The Bridge Crew are cardboard cutouts meant to fill the room; I'd love to know more about them through the show but the writers are not interested in things that don't involve Michael.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you thought that the cause of the Burn couldn't get any stupider...
It turns out that it was the Kelpian teenager screaming because his mom died. Somehow, his screams (amplified by his surroundings) resonate at the same frequency as Dilithium and can travel across the entire universe. :facepalm:

Also, as predicted...
Burnham is the new Captain. You could see this coming as soon as the Burn was revealed to be because of a Kelpian and Saru stopped acting as a Captain to, instead, tend to the moody man-child. He didn't set foot on Discovery once in the final 3 episodes so that the writers could give more responsibility and screen time to Burnham to deal with the threat to the ship and prove that she deserved to be Captain. It's as you you were saying, The Beyonder, about other crew members being involved less for Burnham's benefit. It also gave an excuse to get Saru off of the ship long term--helping the poor Kelpian that he has bonded with to adjust to regular life on their homeworld--so that Burnham (who mutinied, got her former Captain killed, started a war and disobeyed a direct order, all things that Saru never did) could be promoted to Captain in his place.

This show is so idiotic. If all of that isn't insulting enough, though, they ended the season with a Gene Roddenberry quote and the theme music from the original series.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
There were some aspects of this finale that I did like. It was ernest and it had a lot of action, and frankly Doug Jones as Saru is a real strength in this show when they don't make him the worst Captain in the Federation.

The problem is two fold. First of all the writers seem to be determined to throw everything at the wall at a break neck pace, and by doing that, it feels like they lose track of key story elements. The second element is that they went so long with really making everyone other then Michael, and Tilly and Saru and maybe Stamets that when they hint at their end you're like, I'm not really connected to this character so whatever.

At the end of this episode, there was really no sacrifice, I never felt tension or fear, I knew that Michael would prevail and over come everything with no real help. Its the great flaw of Discovery in that its a fairly pretty package, but what's inside just isn't interesting.

Even the Villains at the end Osyras and the Pirate King didn't feel like they were a threat of lived up to the challenge. When she was basically shot, I felt more empathy for the data cubes that Michael puked up then with her, when the Pirate king fell and bounced off of the elevator I didn't really feel that emotional fist pump that you usually feel when the villain dies.

As far as disconnected bits, they built up the Sphere droids to take back the ship, and in the first battle you see them getting shot to pieces, and while the last one saved the arm chair of the bridge from being blowed up and died, you just don't feel it. With Stamets, they have him in two scenes, so everything that was built up with him in the last episode went in the, meh that wasn't important bin.

Really the best part of the whole episode wasn't Michael or the battle scenes, but Saru simply having a conversation with SaGul or whatever his name was.

Like I said there were really things to like here, but without pacing, or actual story, or a credible story line (The Burn will go down as one of the worst long term stories in Star Trek history to me). The series and the episode itself will always be mediocre at best.

With the shows track record of good first half and a major falling off in quality in the second half through its first three seasons it makes you feel a bit vexed about any kind of time investment.

Random thoughts

So is Gray a force ghost, a new version of the Great Gazoo? I don't know its just a strange concept

So going outside of the holo deck and you get insta sick from radiation, but this is forgotten later when the holo deck is turned off.

I knew that they were going to make Michael the Captain, but they bludgeoned us over the head with the Cringeworthy Tilly going "We need you to lead us, that's an order" At that I mentally could see the brick leaving my hand and going through the TV. Tilly is just a flat un interesting milquetoast character, and her ascension to First Officer and Captain was plainly done for the conclusion that nobody could be Captain but Michael.

So they're running out of O2 in minutes and have time to have a lengthy yak session, followed by a Tilly pep talk, and later armchair( I name most of the characters after furniture because that's what they are) runs out of oxygen just as she goes to plant the bomb. I literally laughed out loud at that bit of stupidity. Then later they have a 4 minute conference on the bridge as the enemy is blazing away at them. That to me is just bad writing because its fracking annoying.

"Lets Fly" that's the new catchphrase, The only thing that would have been worse was if the Catch Phrase was "Hippity Hoppity".

So now the discover goes from a science vessel to allied Van Lines. I would assume that they're going to try a more episodic approach next year as they cargo haul fuel from world to world.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Remember when Worf got told by Sisko that the simple act of letting a single defecting Dominion agent die so that he could go back and save his wife from a slow and otherwise certain death on some backwoods Cardassian-territory planet was going to forever preclude him from getting a command of his own?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

full disclosure: I haven't watched any new episodes since just before Christmas. I'll probably just finish out the season because they're already on my pvr, but knowing that this is how things are turning out, I think I'm done after that. I'll just wait for the Anson Mount-led Pike show and hope they don't screw that up.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I've read your spoilers and it's pretty much as bad as I thought it would be. I want to thank you guys for your sacrifice as you've stopped me from wasting my time to watch the last 3 (or is it 4?) episodes of this retched stupid show.
Any idea when The Orville will start up again?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I forgot to mention something:
There's a point in the finale when the Admiral says that "Discovery is far too valuable" (to lose to the enemy) and, without missing a beat, Burnham shoots back with "not without Commander Stamets!" Can you imagine any of Trek's past Captains downplaying the value of their ships like that? Was the Enterprise worth less to Starfleet when its warp drive was inoperable? Was DS9 worth less without the worm hole? Was Spock's body worth less without his katra?

Starfleet is founded on principles not unlike the Navy and I think that one principle is that you don't just let an enemy joy ride around the universe with one of your ships, even if it's not fully operational. You sink, crash or self-destruct it before letting that happen.

Yeah, Discovery is more valuable with a working spore drive, so it's technically less valuable without it, but it still feels very un-Starfleet and un-Star Trek to me for a Starfleet officer, especially one who will be promoted to Captain by the end of the episode, to diminish the value of a Starfleet ship.

It's also not just that she does that, but that she says it so quickly and flippantly and with a smile on her face that suggests that she's proud of herself for thinking of a solid rebuttal. If I were the Admiral, I would not be impressed that she was so quick to dismiss Discovery's value and would have serious reservations about promoting her to the Captain's chair of that same ship. What if this happens again in the future? Will she be as willing to let Discovery be captured so long as they can't use the spore drive?

Also, it's revealed later in the episode that Booker has the right DNA to operate the spore drive and does. That means that Ossyra could've used the spore drive even without Stamets, since she had Discovery and Booker (and if not him, someone else with the right DNA might've been eventually discovered). That just proves how stupid and wrong Burnham was for downplaying the value of Discovery without Stamets. She actually came this close to handing an enemy a spore jump-capable war ship and her reward was receiving command of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
There were some aspects of this finale that I did like. It was ernest and it had a lot of action, and frankly Doug Jones as Saru is a real strength in this show when they don't make him the worst Captain in the Federation.

The problem is two fold. First of all the writers seem to be determined to throw everything at the wall at a break neck pace, and by doing that, it feels like they lose track of key story elements. The second element is that they went so long with really making everyone other then Michael, and Tilly and Saru and maybe Stamets that when they hint at their end you're like, I'm not really connected to this character so whatever.

At the end of this episode, there was really no sacrifice, I never felt tension or fear, I knew that Michael would prevail and over come everything with no real help. Its the great flaw of Discovery in that its a fairly pretty package, but what's inside just isn't interesting.

Even the Villains at the end Osyras and the Pirate King didn't feel like they were a threat of lived up to the challenge. When she was basically shot, I felt more empathy for the data cubes that Michael puked up then with her, when the Pirate king fell and bounced off of the elevator I didn't really feel that emotional fist pump that you usually feel when the villain dies.

As far as disconnected bits, they built up the Sphere droids to take back the ship, and in the first battle you see them getting shot to pieces, and while the last one saved the arm chair of the bridge from being blowed up and died, you just don't feel it. With Stamets, they have him in two scenes, so everything that was built up with him in the last episode went in the, meh that wasn't important bin.

Really the best part of the whole episode wasn't Michael or the battle scenes, but Saru simply having a conversation with SaGul or whatever his name was.

Like I said there were really things to like here, but without pacing, or actual story, or a credible story line (The Burn will go down as one of the worst long term stories in Star Trek history to me). The series and the episode itself will always be mediocre at best.

With the shows track record of good first half and a major falling off in quality in the second half through its first three seasons it makes you feel a bit vexed about any kind of time investment.

Random thoughts

So is Gray a force ghost, a new version of the Great Gazoo? I don't know its just a strange concept

So going outside of the holo deck and you get insta sick from radiation, but this is forgotten later when the holo deck is turned off.

I knew that they were going to make Michael the Captain, but they bludgeoned us over the head with the Cringeworthy Tilly going "We need you to lead us, that's an order" At that I mentally could see the brick leaving my hand and going through the TV. Tilly is just a flat un interesting milquetoast character, and her ascension to First Officer and Captain was plainly done for the conclusion that nobody could be Captain but Michael.

So they're running out of O2 in minutes and have time to have a lengthy yak session, followed by a Tilly pep talk, and later armchair( I name most of the characters after furniture because that's what they are) runs out of oxygen just as she goes to plant the bomb. I literally laughed out loud at that bit of stupidity. Then later they have a 4 minute conference on the bridge as the enemy is blazing away at them. That to me is just bad writing because its fracking annoying.

"Lets Fly" that's the new catchphrase, The only thing that would have been worse was if the Catch Phrase was "Hippity Hoppity".

So now the discover goes from a science vessel to allied Van Lines. I would assume that they're going to try a more episodic approach next year as they cargo haul fuel from world to world.

"So they're running out of O2 in minutes and have time to have a lengthy yak session, followed by a Tilly pep talk, and later armchair( I name most of the characters after furniture because that's what they are) runs out of oxygen just as she goes to plant the bomb. I literally laughed out loud at that bit of stupidity. Then later they have a 4 minute conference on the bridge as the enemy is blazing away at them. That to me is just bad writing because its fracking annoying."

I found this to be hillarious too.

You've decided you're willing to die to save the ship, then spend a minute telling each other how much "I luuuvv youuuuuuuss guyyyyss" while the oxygen is running out!

Further to that, since the oxygen was running out, why didn't they just give the bomb to one of the sphere droids and let it take it to the Nacelle since they don't need oxygen, can travel innocuously through the ship or even through the Jeffries Tubes?

Also, did anyone notice the Green Woman Baddie's accent switched from American English to British and back in every episode!?!

The most satisfying part for me was the writer's and producers mea culpa at the end of the episode with the quote from Gene Roddenberry.

For those who don't know the writers and producers came under fire for a scene earlier this season where they mocked Rodenberry through a character named Gene who was given the task of cleaning up a dead body.

"My name's Gene, actually."
"I've already forgotten that"

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
If you wrote a parody of Discovery with the intention of mercilessly mocking it, I don't think you could have come up with a reason for the Burn that was that stupid.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I finally watched the last 3 episodes of the season.

Jesus f***ing christ, I'm done.

Not only does the Admiral name Burnham captain, but he gushes over how amazing she is and how her insubordination, disrespect for the chain of command, and disregard for considering that she's anything less than factually and morally correct in all ways are meaningless in the face of how super special awesome she is. They're doing what we joked about during the first season: Burnham is so perfect that she's going to reshape the very universe around her through sheer force of mary-sueness.

Who cares that she committed super-mutiny, started a war, and like a week and a half before this finale (because these episodes absolutely aren't taking place over weeks and months) she disregarded the admiral and her captain's orders again and got busted down to "normal" science officer instead of first officer. nope. She's just soooooo good at doing her job the wrong way that she deserves to have everything handed to her. And as for all those pesky failings, it's Ok because she accepted them. Because the contrition of "you were right to discipline me" is apparently equal to enacting real, meaningful change to correct the behaviors that got you disciplined in the first place.

Ridiculous.

also they booted Saru out of command to achieve this. Now maybe Doug Jones wanted more time off so he could go do movies or something, I don't know. But almost every other major character on the crew deserves this spotlight more than Burnham and Tilly.

Also those new uniforms are crap. like a decade and a half of no Trek on TV and no new ground trodden in starfleet uniform costume design and that was the best they could come up with? Loose fitting, drab gray thick tunic/coats with a chunky, awkward division color band down the one side?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I defended Michael against the mary sue label, but my god, I don't think I could defend against it in this episode. Why the admiral would trust her with so much at stake, when mere seconds before he was utterly committed to protecting the spore drive from The Emerald Chain, is beyond my understanding? The show forgoes logic and character motivations simply to force a positive character moment for Michael, but it doesn't feel earned.

Certainly Star Fleet officers are paragons, and borderline mary sues in general. But the contributing factor for Michael's mary sue label more apparent than any other trek show is that Michael is the protagonist. Meaning the writers spend every episode, every season, either building up to or delivering character moments for her at the expense of other characters. Just this season 3 finale episode alone denied other characters their moment.
-Booker was suppose to have his moment while he was being tortured, but instead of building his character, Michael is there and instead the scene makes it about her resisting Booker's torture and making him talk. And she's the one who helps them escape.
-Tilly should have had her moment to prove herself as a leader, coming up with a plan while trapped with life support. Maybe the writers could had her find a way to talk to Michael and coordinate a plan to stop Ossayra(spelling), but instead it's Michael who comes up with the plan of action and is the one who actually leads the ops.
The vast majority plot resolves or character development belongs to Michael. In Next Generation secondary characters got time to shine and at times at the expense of Picard. Same for Original with Kirk, even The Voyager with Janeway. The only ones that come close is Saru. The Bridge Crew are cardboard cutouts meant to fill the room; I'd love to know more about them through the show but the writers are not interested in things that don't involve Michael.

the spoiler stuff is what bothered me too.

They make a big to-do about Burnham disobeying orders and being stripped of her first officer status by Saru, who treats it like this heart-rending decision because he's personally and professionally hurt by her betrayal of his trust. But then two things happen.

1) Burnham basically says to him that she supports his decision and it's the right thing to do. This serves to undercut the severity of the punishment because when you have the punished party advocating for its necessity and correctness you pretty much remove its impact as "punishment". Instead it serves as a platform to make her look like the superior person because of the grace with which she accepts it and turns a moment that should be "damn, Burnham sure did screw up and is paying for it" into "what a saint Burnham is for allowing Saru to punish her in that way and then take said punishment with dignity and humility. What a hero she is.

2) It amounts to sweet f***-all because she pretty much doesn't act any different afterwards. In all 3 episodes I watched tonight, in spite of her no longer having a position of command authority, she routinely not only makes unilateral decisions on her own that effect the entire ship and crew, but she butts in and takes over decision-making authority from actual crew members present who are in charge/have real rank-and-position authority and uses sheer force of awesomeness to just hold the floor and get what she wants.[/spoil]

One other thing: How the hell old is Adira supposed to be? Their relationship with Gray/Grey/Trill-ghost-dude is portrayed as relatively adult-level (relaxed, mature intimacy, living together, were they actually married? I can't remember), but when we get all the Stammets/Culber/Adira subplot around going down to the planet to find burn-kid (which was sooooo dumb but that's another story), Stammets and Culber are suddenly acting like Adira's a literal child. Like when Culber sees Adira and says "Does Paul know you're here?" with all the sternness of the house down the street finding your kid over playing with their friends and asking "do your parents know you're here?" to check if you had permission to come.

Honestly if the show jettisoned Burnham and Tilly they actually have the makings of an interesting crew.

Saru - inexperienced captain eager to prove himself but caught between the cautiousness/timidity of his race and his newfound desire to explore
Stammets - genius asshole who's indispensable nature covers for the fact that he's crap at dealing with people (even though he's not nearly as much of a twit as he plays at being)
Detmer - ace pilot with PTSD and a bit of a rebellious/rock-star type streak
Owosekun - comes from a luddite colony and seemingly has a wide variety of unexpected skills as well as something of a curiosity/connection to the high-tech universe that people can find endearing
Adira - wunderkid who can do the whole Trill thing of "an old soul in a young body" but is also sort of Starfleet-but-not so is still learning the ropes of how to fit in. Can balance between being something like the Cadet/Wesley sort of role and the best parts of Dax.
Booker (if you wanted to keep him) - Roguish plays-by-his-own-rules type but with a good heart and literal excessive empathy.
Reno - sarcastic comic relief character but also a highly capable engineer. Kind of a more flippant Scotty, but would have to be used in smaller doses to avoid burning out on that sort of "jaded snarker joke-factory" aspect
Culber - Is also there.

If you could've added a still-living Airiam to this mix (a sort of "reverse Data") and the Barzan security officer (because we don't know a damn thing about the Barzans, so there's a buttload of space to explore there) and boom, you've got more than enough characters to carry an ensemble show for years. But nope, we have to plow all of those people to the side so we can get Sarek's-better-than-most-Vulcans foster daughter and her amazing independent perfectness teamed up with ensign cheery jitters and her alternatingly hyperactive/maudlin inability to get anything done without constant external reassurance.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
One other stupid picky little thing.

In one of the last episodes (I think the last one) Owosekun says something like she can hold her breath for 10 minutes because she used to free-dive on her colony world.

Now I went and did what I assume the writer probably did and googled "world record for holding breath underwater" and the first result was a story that said 22 minutes. So I'll be the writer saw that and said "well I'll just cut it in half so that she looks amazing but not crazy world record holder super amazing." (because that level of status is for Burnham alone :sarcasm:). And then they patted themselves on the back for looking that up and moved on in less than 5 minutes.

Except that if you do like 30 seconds more research you discover that the 20 minutes world record is for divers who breathed pure oxygen for a half hour before the attempt to super-oxygenate their blood and give them more dive time. The unaided world record for simply holding your breath underwater (which likely also precludes any sort of movement or strenuous activity that would speed up oxygen depletion is actually under 10 minutes for women and just under 12 minutes for men.

I feel like it just goes to show how lazy the writing is if they can't even spend more than 25-30 seconds to properly make sure that a reference they're putting into the story makes any kind of sense. And I know that the response is "who cares, it's just a throwaway line", but that's the thing. If you can't be arsed to care about the little things, you're less likely to pay attention to the little bits that pile up into bigger problems. What sinks most crap writers isn't one giant flaw of titanic proportions that cuts through the story like a huge tear in its fabric. It's a bajillion tiny pinprick issues that pile up and pile up and pile up until the surrounding story is so damaged and weakened that it can no longer support itself and falls apart in tatters.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Speaking of world records, watching three Discovery episodes in one night must be one. I don't know how you did it unless you super caffeinated beforehand. It's a trial for me to get through just one at a time.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
the spoiler stuff is what bothered me too.

They make a big to-do about Burnham disobeying orders and being stripped of her first officer status by Saru, who treats it like this heart-rending decision because he's personally and professionally hurt by her betrayal of his trust. But then two things happen.

1) Burnham basically says to him that she supports his decision and it's the right thing to do. This serves to undercut the severity of the punishment because when you have the punished party advocating for its necessity and correctness you pretty much remove its impact as "punishment". Instead it serves as a platform to make her look like the superior person because of the grace with which she accepts it and turns a moment that should be "damn, Burnham sure did screw up and is paying for it" into "what a saint Burnham is for allowing Saru to punish her in that way and then take said punishment with dignity and humility. What a hero she is.

2) It amounts to sweet f***-all because she pretty much doesn't act any different afterwards. In all 3 episodes I watched tonight, in spite of her no longer having a position of command authority, she routinely not only makes unilateral decisions on her own that effect the entire ship and crew, but she butts in and takes over decision-making authority from actual crew members present who are in charge/have real rank-and-position authority and uses sheer force of awesomeness to just hold the floor and get what she wants.[/spoil]

One other thing: How the hell old is Adira supposed to be? Their relationship with Gray/Grey/Trill-ghost-dude is portrayed as relatively adult-level (relaxed, mature intimacy, living together, were they actually married? I can't remember), but when we get all the Stammets/Culber/Adira subplot around going down to the planet to find burn-kid (which was sooooo dumb but that's another story), Stammets and Culber are suddenly acting like Adira's a literal child. Like when Culber sees Adira and says "Does Paul know you're here?" with all the sternness of the house down the street finding your kid over playing with their friends and asking "do your parents know you're here?" to check if you had permission to come.

Honestly if the show jettisoned Burnham and Tilly they actually have the makings of an interesting crew.

Saru - inexperienced captain eager to prove himself but caught between the cautiousness/timidity of his race and his newfound desire to explore
Stammets - genius asshole who's indispensable nature covers for the fact that he's crap at dealing with people (even though he's not nearly as much of a twit as he plays at being)
Detmer - ace pilot with PTSD and a bit of a rebellious/rock-star type streak
Owosekun - comes from a luddite colony and seemingly has a wide variety of unexpected skills as well as something of a curiosity/connection to the high-tech universe that people can find endearing
Adira - wunderkid who can do the whole Trill thing of "an old soul in a young body" but is also sort of Starfleet-but-not so is still learning the ropes of how to fit in. Can balance between being something like the Cadet/Wesley sort of role and the best parts of Dax.
Booker (if you wanted to keep him) - Roguish plays-by-his-own-rules type but with a good heart and literal excessive empathy.
Reno - sarcastic comic relief character but also a highly capable engineer. Kind of a more flippant Scotty, but would have to be used in smaller doses to avoid burning out on that sort of "jaded snarker joke-factory" aspect
Culber - Is also there.

If you could've added a still-living Airiam to this mix (a sort of "reverse Data") and the Barzan security officer (because we don't know a damn thing about the Barzans, so there's a buttload of space to explore there) and boom, you've got more than enough characters to carry an ensemble show for years. But nope, we have to plow all of those people to the side so we can get Sarek's-better-than-most-Vulcans foster daughter and her amazing independent perfectness teamed up with ensign cheery jitters and her alternatingly hyperactive/maudlin inability to get anything done without constant external reassurance.

Agreed with pretty much everything you said.

I want to like Michael, I really like the actress too, but the writers are doing her a disservice. It's as if the writers misunderstood that the "strong" in "strong female character" meant complexity and not the character being more proficient at every thing than all other characters at all times.

If ever there is a bad combination for a main character it's having the character be extremely competent(more than anyone else) and having them be loved by almost every character. That is the building blocks of a mary sue (or gary stu).

And of course
they made Michael captain
and why wouldn't they? She's better at her job than everyone else and every crew member has liked her since the first season. So there's no surprise there, nor any character conflict any hint of character development in getting to that point.

I personally don't mind Tilly but they rushed her arc massively and it made Saru appear like an incompetent leader. There is practically a bridge crew full of people with command training and first hand experience with him to choose from, that he would choose Tilly who shows no experience shows him to be an ill-fit leader to be honest. And Tilly never really earned that mantle. She never even earned it to hand it off to you know who in the end.

The writers rooms for this show comes off as a room full of people who just clock in and clock out, which is what it is. There is absolutely zero passion or inspiration put into this show, except for the actors who honestly do a decent job with what they are given. This season was by far a massive step back, in a situation that gave the writers ultimate freedom to do something ambitious without stepping on the toes of continuity and they face planted.

Also that explanation for the cause of the burn is one of the most idiotic explanations possible.
A kelpien child, born in radiation which gave him magical connection, like a super hero, to the dilithium crystals; which then almost instantly destroyed all dilithium across the galaxy because he had emotional reaction when his mother died.
. It shocks me that no one in the writers room could have come up with a better idea, it shocks me even more that they thought this was an explanation that their viewers would buy and enjoy.

It's disappointing, between this and Picard season 1, I'm spent. I am disengaging. This show is too concerned with second-rate choreographed John Woo fight scenes and universe level plot devices to the point that the writers forget about the elements that made Star Trek enduring and revered for so long. Star Trek is an ambitious property, whose optimistic view of the future of humanity seems just as needed today as it was 60 years ago. A show that at times asked moral and philosophical questions about our world and sometimes gave no easy answers. But instead they want to do an action packed sci-fi fantasy schlock with nothing relevant to say about our world.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
where did spock and picard go? where they not on the ship that went into the future? i think season 2 ended with those 2 inside the discovery?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
where did spock and picard go? where they not on the ship that went into the future? i think season 2 ended with those 2 inside the discovery?

Season 2 ended with them joining hands and skipping off to the Enterprise to await their spinoff show.
How drunk/high did you watch this show?
The fact that he remembers anything from it suggests that he wasn't drunk/high enough.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
im on season 3 episode 7 right now, its awful, gonna be really hard finishing watching this season. i want the clingons back

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I just finished season 3. Honestly, at a couple of episodes a night it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Sure, there's some really, really stupid writing, but I found this easier to get through than the first two seasons.

It's still 'better' than the first few episodes I've seen of season three of Titans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad