Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - III - Spock's Beard

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
The second short was just basically a retelling of Odysseus and Calypso from the Odyssey, but the whole thing just felt like a long clumsy set up for a really dumb joke at the end.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Why did they kill her off again in the first episode? You want diversity, you have a woman Asian captain who sets the main character on her journey because she is "Fridged".

Originally I assumed they killed her because she was a stunt casting (Michelle Yeoh is chiefly a film actress and I presumed she would be too expensive as a series regular). But it turns out they did it just so they could introduce the eeeeeeevil alternate universe version of her without having to deal with any mirror twin/doppelganger issues later on when she shows up back in the regular universe.

My laughter is because the mirror universe version of her was awful and it feels like the Trek people are doing the same thing that Star Wars just got in trouble for (flooding the market with too much, too fast and looking at greenlighting anything with even a smidge of interest without considering if the fans want it or it'll be any good)

I mean, what's next? a belated Voyager spinoff/sequel that follows the daily life of Neelix after he decided to stay in the Delta Quadrant?

EDIT: I just read the article. It's going to be about her in Section 31? Section 31 was all well and good when it blended with DS9, but now it feels like dark for darkness' sake (it was really ill-fitting when they shoe-horned it into Enterprise, culminating in getting Tripp killed in the finale for pure shock value (that they subsequently ruined by blatantly saying it was going to happen before it did))

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainCrunch67

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Why did they kill her off again in the first episode? You want diversity, you have a woman Asian captain who sets the main character on her journey because she is "Fridged".

I was hoping that killed her off because they learned that a bag of sand could emote more emotion and act better then her. Then they bought her back as the Empress when a cardboard cut out of her posing with a chef's hat would probably be better.

Giving her a TV series of her own would be like curing a headache by bashing your head into a locker repeatedly.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Originally I assumed they killed her because she was a stunt casting (Michelle Yeoh is a film actress and I presumed she would be too expensive as a series regular). But it turns out they did it just so they could introduce the eeeeeeevil alternate universe version of her without having to deal with any mirror twin/doppelganger issues later on when she shows up back in the regular universe.

My laughter is because the mirror universe version of her was awful and it feels like the Trek people are doing the same thing that Star Wars just got in trouble for (flooding the market with too much, too fast and looking at greenlighting anything with even a smidge of interest without considering if the fans want it or it'll be any good)

I mean, what's next? a belated Voyager spinoff/sequel that follows the daily life of Neelix after he decided to stay in the Delta Quadrant?

I can see the pitch meetings.

Faceless Hollywooed executive - "So we do a series with the dudes that live below decks and do all the manual work on the ship, we'll animated it"

Hollywood boss - "Fantastic, one of the characters will be a greasy looking guy who walks around with a jean jacket on with his shirt rolled up over a pack of space smokes and we'll call him Schneider. Go with it"

Other executive - "Awesome idea chief, we'll do a series based around that chick Captain that Michelle Yeoh played"

Boss- "She can't act and she's awful, but its Trek baby, go do it"

Janitor walks in and empties a garbage can

Boss - "Love it, he's a star and its Trek, make a series around him"

Secretary - "What about a series based around babies on the Enterprise, and they can talk to each other and nobody else can hear them, and they get into zany escapades when they accidentally push buttons. I hear Roseanne and Bruce Willis are looking for work and they can play the baby's voices, and John Travolta and Kirstie Alley can play their frustrated parents balancing work on the Enterprise with raising a family. Hell Kirstie can play Saavik's great great great great granddaughter, we'll call her Saaaaavik"

Hollywood executive - "That idea is dumb, you're dumb"

Boss - "I love that idea"

Hollywood - "What a great idea boss"

Boss - "Green light"

Reactions: The Nemesis

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I can see the pitch meetings.

Faceless Hollywooed executive - "So we do a series with the dudes that live below decks and do all the manual work on the ship, we'll animated it"

Hollywood boss - "Fantastic, one of the characters will be a greasy looking guy who walks around with a jean jacket on with his shirt rolled up over a pack of space smokes and we'll call him Schneider. Go with it"

Other executive - "Awesome idea chief, we'll do a series based around that chick Captain that Michelle Yeoh played"

Boss- "She can't act and she's awful, but its Trek baby, go do it"

Janitor walks in and empties a garbage can

Boss - "Love it, he's a star and its Trek, make a series around him"

Secretary - "What about a series based around babies on the Enterprise, and they can talk to each other and nobody else can hear them, and they get into zany escapades when they accidentally push buttons. I hear Roseanne and Bruce Willis are looking for work and they can play the baby's voices, and John Travolta and Kirstie Alley can play their frustrated parents balancing work on the Enterprise with raising a family. Hell Kirstie can play Saavik's great great great great granddaughter, we'll call her Saaaaavik"

Hollywood executive - "That idea is dumb, you're dumb"

Boss - "I love that idea"

Hollywood - "What a great idea boss"

Boss - "Green light"

The sad thing is that Yeoh isn't always an awful actress. She's just awful at making anything out of the cartoonish supervillain of a character that her mirror twin was. Seriously, all she was missing was a goblet of brandy and a mustache to twirl.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
tenor.gif

Her character was horrible and Michelle Yeoh did a terrible job with the acting. Some how these geniuses think she's a good fit for her own series?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

The folks running Star Trek really are out of touch with their fans. Yeoh's character and her acting have been criticized as some of the worst things about Discovery and, yet, they think that we want more of both? Come to think of it, the series, itself, hasn't been met with too much enthusiasm, yet they're spinning it off. It's as if fans have given Discovery a 'D' grade and CBS/Paramount's reaction is "That's technically a passing grade! Let's pump out more just like it while the iron is hot!"

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Netflix is shouldering the costs in Europe. I can only imagine that they will quickly drop the show after this season.

Anyone catch that the writing and production cast went to 'Trek lore bootcamp'

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Video no longer available.

I kind of laugh at "a whole new trek" as a tagline though. Its like they heard all the complaining about the way that Discovery had already racked up a ton of complaints about how un-Trek it felt a times and went "Yeah. More of that."

We don't want a "whole new Trek". We want a Trek that feels like it belongs in the universe we've loved for 50+ years.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I kind of laugh at "a whole new trek" as a tagline though. Its like they heard all the complaining about the way that Discovery had already racked up a ton of complaints about how un-Trek it felt a times and went "Yeah. More of that."

It's laughable, but also seems a bit clever because it's so vague that both sides might read into what CBS/Paramount wants them to. Those who appreciated how "un-Trek" Season 1 felt might interpret it as promising more of the same in Season 2, while those who disliked Season 1 might interpret it as promising that'll be different than that and be encouraged to give the series another chance.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Looking forward to re-litigating a bunch of debates with @Osprey and the gang. ;)

In the meantime, happy holidays Star Trek fans!

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I have really low expectations for this season. We'll see if I even manage to make it through it before bailing.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have really low expectations for this season. We'll see if I even manage to make it through it before bailing.

I have friends who like this show second to TNG.

Which blows my mind.

I'll keep watching but I'm on the fence.

I do think they sort of resolved the Mirror Universe thing quite well but there's a lack of gravitas to the show which hurts it IMO.

It's glossy and popcorn fare like Fast and the Furious in space.

Reactions: kihei

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I have friends who like this show second to TNG.

Which blows my mind.

I'll keep watching but I'm on the fence.

I do think they sort of resolved the Mirror Universe thing quite well but there's a lack of gravitas to the show which hurts it IMO.

It's glossy and popcorn fare like Fast and the Furious in space.
I thought the Mirror Universe plot was horrible, and they took the best character on the show and turned him into an over the top, mustache twirling comicbook villain. No one that stupid can survive in an alternate universe by manipulating and using people like he did.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought the Mirror Universe plot was horrible, and they took the best character on the show and turned him into an over the top, mustache twirling comicbook villain.

Well, the show runners kept talking about how the show was about the First Officer and not the Captain so I guess I wasn't really disappointed because I knew his days on the show were numbered.

It's rare to see a nuanced performance in any first season of a mass-produced show, but I get where you are coming from.

No one that stupid can survive in an alternate universe by manipulating and using people like he did.

Meh, the only show that's really done the Mirror Universe really well IMO is DS9.

I guess Enterprise was sort of entertaining but it was kind of a spoof of TOS.

I thought it was a ballsy twist to put in the 1st season. I'll give them credit for that.

The flying space pig and the ship that can fly anywhere and the other first officer who can run really fast and detect fear notwithstanding.

My drinking game for Season 2 is as follows:

"Whenever a challenge or danger could be averted by Saru being able to run really fast only the writers have conveniently forgotten about it, take a drink."

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well, the show runners kept talking about how the show was about the First Officer and not the Captain so I guess I wasn't really disappointed because I knew his days on the show were numbered.

Meh, the only show that's really done the Mirror Universe really well IMO is DS9.

I thought it was a ballsy twist to put in the 1st season. I'll give them credit for that.

The flying space pig and the ship that can fly anywhere and the other first officer who can run really fast and detect fear notwithstanding.
I had no problem with them killing the captain off and I fully expect him to be the bad guy by the end, they made that very obvious early on. He just went from this intelligent, cold, master manipulator who was extremely resourceful, to some ridiculous trope of a villain who was horribly stupid. They ruined his character in one episode in my opinion.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He just went from this intelligent, cold, master manipulator who was extremely resourceful, to some ridiculous trope of a villain who was horribly stupid. They ruined his character in one episode in my opinion.

Well, glass half-full is that he was pretty cool until the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad