Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - III - Spock's Beard

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Pretty good summary, I agree with almost everything.

I rank them as follows. My top 5.

1. Wrath and Search are to me one movie. Can't have one without the other.
2. Voyage home. For the humour and jokes, not to be taken seriously.
3. First contact. Best TNG movie by far and I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheekiness of it.
4. ST 2009. Loved the re-creation and the cast was perfect, a bit overdone.
5. Generations. To see the cast reunited was fun and the story wasn't half-bad.

Pick and chose among the rest, they're all average, with the Original movie getting bonus points. The last two re-boots, couldn't stand them, completely missed the point of Star Trek. And WTF was all that blue?

Got to have Undiscovered Country near the top IMO. Top 5 for me.

1.Wrath of Khan-Easy choice but the right one
2.Undiscovered Country-Close 2nd for me. Loved Christopher Plummer's performance in the film one of my favourite Star Trek Villains. Great ending the Original Series.
3.Voyage Home-Just a lot of fun.
4.First Contact- Only good TNG movie
5.Search for Spock- Some slow parts in there but overall a solid entry

Worst are the new Trek films which are Trek in name only.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
When I heard that Nicholas Meyer was involved I had high hopes for Discovery. Guy really saved Star Trek in the 80's/early 90's with Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country after The Motion Picture and Final Frontier almost killed the whole thing (co-wrote Voyage Home as well I believe). He's either lost his touch or has little to no influence on this show because this show has just had idiotic writing from day one.

There are only so many compeling stories to tell.

The final frontier has been reached.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

2.Undiscovered Country-Close 2nd for me. Loved Christopher Plummer's performance in the film one of my favourite Star Trek Villains. Great ending the Original Series.

That's my favorite Star Trek movie. His performance in it was great.

They made Star Trek Klingon Academy video game with the story involving him in it and he did a good job in it too

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I would swap the top two but everything else is the same.

Undiscovered Country is my favourite ST film.

Terrific performance from David Warner as the Chancellor.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
That's my favorite Star Trek movie. His performance in it was great.

They made Star Trek Klingon Academy video game with the story involving him in it and he did a good job in it too

I really loved that game, it blew Starfleet Academy away. The Combat looked so cool with hits ripping away armor and exposing the ships internal. And there was nothing better then attacking a Federation Cruiser with a Bird of Prey and using your cloak.

The only problem with that game was poor AI, too many ship collisions.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Mike and Rich spend a half hour making fun of Discovery. Good stuff.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So I saw a commercial the other day.

Pike: "Spock, is that a smile?"
Spock: "Yes." *smiles again*

Me:
695082d8755c19eb46d78c975b6b7dc8.gif

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

That sounds like what we've been fearing. Spock will be an emotional wreck at the start and it'll only be with the help of a logical human (there's something really wrong about that) that he'll eventually become the Spock that we know and love. I don't like it because I prefer and think that it makes more sense for him to have sorted himself out before even joining Starfleet (which even the Kelvinverse maintained), but also because it gives us yet another thing that we're expected to admire Miss Perfect for. Everyone who comes into contact with Burnham eventually realizes the error of their ways and has to accept the wisdom of her advice. In fact, even the franchise's previously most infallible character is about to owe his mental stability to her.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That sounds like what we've been fearing. Spock will be an emotional wreck at the start and it'll only be with the help of a logical human (there's something really wrong about that) that he'll eventually become the Spock that we know and love. I don't like it because I prefer and think that it makes more sense for him to have sorted himself out before even joining Starfleet (which even the Kelvinverse maintained), but also because it gives us yet another thing that we're expected to admire Miss Perfect for. Everyone who comes into contact with Burnham eventually realizes the error of their ways and has to accept the wisdom of her advice. In fact, even the franchise's previously most infallible character is about to owe his mental stability to her.

The final scene of the series will be an elderly Burnham as a professor at Starfleet Academy lecturing a cocky young student who isn't paying attention in her class. She tells him he should shape up and make something of himself so because she senses greatness in him. He solemnly apologizes and then she says:

"Just don't let it happen again, Mr. Picard."

And fade to black.

Executive Producer - Alex Kurtzman

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
The final scene of the series will be an elderly Burnham as a professor at Starfleet Academy lecturing a cocky young student who isn't paying attention in her class. She tells him he should shape up and make something of himself so because she senses greatness in him. He solemnly apologizes and then she says:

"Just don't let it happen again, Mr. Picard."

And fade to black.

Executive Producer - Alex Kurtzman
Yeah this is definitely happening.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah this is definitely happening.

In a way it really wouldn't be a departure from what we know of a young Picard. TNG's episode Tapestry showed him to be a hard charging party animal that drank heavy and got into bar fights... Untill he got shived through the heart by a Nausicaan.

Reactions: redbeardtx

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
In a way it really wouldn't be a departure from what we know of a young Picard. TNG's episode Tapestry showed him to be a hard charging party animal that drank heavy and got into bar fights... Untill he got shived through the heart by a Nausicaan.

The point being made isn't that it would be out of character for Picard to have once been reckless or for Spock to have once been emotional. It's that Burnham would be owed the credit for setting them straight and making them the characters that we love. It feels like Kurtzman wants to re-shape familiar elements of Star Trek by inserting Burnham into as many backstories as he can. As a prequel series, a little of that is acceptable, but Burnham is such an infallible, self-righteous character and giving her credit for everything is very off-putting. It's like Kurtzman is trying to get us to like his character by building up her resume ("she's responsible for these things that you like about Trek, so you have to like her now, right?"), instead of simply fixing his hated character. I wonder if there's some of Kurtzman in Burnham.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Osprey's right. It's less about whether or not this would be a "realistic" scene (though I contend that Tapestry showed that Picard needed to get stabbed not to get him to button down, but to get him to actually live. Remember that the "it's a wonderful life" plot showed that by dodging the bar fight, he became a mild, boring, bland, uninspired middle management/paper pusher type) and more about the fact that Discovery seems to think that they can avoid actually fixing Burnham's annoying character problems with "reputation by association" setups like this new insistence that she's responsible for making Spock the character we know and love. It's a cheap ploy that thinks we'll like the character simply for the references to things we already like as a substitute for actually making the character likeable on her own. "Hey kids, do you like Spock? Well then you'll love Michael Burnham. She put the Spock in Spock! That means she's like Spock, but better! Please love our terrible fanfiction OC!"

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just watched all of the Short Treks.

Runaway - Mediocre and nonsensical. It's not a surprise that Alex Kurtzman wrote probably the worst of the four.
Calypso - Easily the best of the four. It featured none of the Discovery characters and didn't really feel like it had much connection to Discovery; rather, it felt like a general sci-fi short that was merely adapted to have a connection. No wonder I liked it.
The Brightest Star - Mediocre and head scratching. I got bored and web surfed halfway through. Like Runaway, not much effort was put into the writing.
The Escape Artist - Not as good as Calypso, but better than the others. I'm not a fan of this Mudd, but at least he can hold your attention and the twist at the end is decent.

In summary, two were as bad as I expected, one slightly exceeded my low expectations and one was surprisingly good. None of them had Burnham in them, though, so, in all, it's probably the best hour that I've spent watching Discovery so far (not that that's saying much).

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad