Staples Twitter: Staple's Latest Q&A 3/20/19

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Anyone consider that if we can't/don't/won't...

1. Resign Lee/Nelson
  2. Sign at least one of the big FA's
  3. Make a significant trade

...that the thing to do next season might be to tank 19-20 and do the rebuild right? Because even if we do all 3 above, there are still going to be holes on this roster, and I don't believe there's enough in the prospect/future's cupboard to trade to fill all those holes.

Besides...Look at all the Cup winners the last 15-20 years. Pretty much all of them drafted their core who played together for a few years before they started contending.

The core of this team is Barzal (21) and the young defenseman (24-26)...And with Dobson, Wahlstrom, Wilde, etc coming up behind them, we should be building around good players in the 18-25 age range - Players that you can't sign as FA's and nearly impossible to trade for. Players you really can only get by drafting high and well.

No. They wasted a year if that was the plan.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Anyone consider that if we can't/don't/won't...

1. Resign Lee/Nelson
  2. Sign at least one of the big FA's
  3. Make a significant trade

...that the thing to do next season might be to tank 19-20 and do the rebuild right? Because even if we do all 3 above, there are still going to be holes on this roster, and I don't believe there's enough in the prospect/future's cupboard to trade to fill all those holes.

Besides...Look at all the Cup winners the last 15-20 years. Pretty much all of them drafted their core who played together for a few years before they started contending.

The core of this team is Barzal (21) and the young defenseman (24-26)...And with Dobson, Wahlstrom, Wilde, etc coming up behind them, we should be building around good players in the 18-25 age range - Players that you can't sign as FA's and nearly impossible to trade for. Players you really can only get by drafting high and well.

I believe you've considered this scenario many many many many many times.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
I like what Leo has brought to the room and PK, but it still begs to ask if he is going to get bought out, why not offer a 2 year deal to him in the first place?
It's not like every team was eyeing him as a potential fit.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
No. They wasted a year if that was the plan.

What were they supposed to do...Lose? I think this year was a wild success beyond almost anyone's expectations no matter what happens from this point out.

Besides...We're not talking about this past year. We're talking about what they do from this point forward. The goal is never to lose, but if the Isles lose Nelson, Lee, Eberle, and Lehner and do not replace them with AT LEAST the same level of talent, then they are going to have a worse season next year without immediate solutions to replace all the new holes in the roster that will have opened up.

I believe you've considered this scenario many many many many many times.

I believe you took some level of sadistic pleasure of posting this more than considering it at face value.

Whether or not you want to discuss it objectively, the reality is that this team could be in big trouble if it loses at least Lee and/or Nelson this summer. And unfortunately not all Isles fans have learned after the Tavares debacle that...Until a player is signed you have to have contingency plans in case they leave.

So while you may not want to consider worse case scenario, I am very confident that our hall of fame GM has and is making a plan for it. But unlike Lou Lamoriello who won't discuss his plans via the media, things like this are what these boards are for.

Reactions: MartyC and beach

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I like what Leo has brought to the room and PK, but it still begs to ask if he is going to get bought out, why not offer a 2 year deal to him in the first place?
It's not like every team was eyeing him as a potential fit.

I believe I read around the time of the signing that were other offers in play.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
I recall this too. I believe Columbus was also mentioned... with a higher offer.
I remember this too. But I think the fourth year was the reason Leo plays for us now. He mentioned it himself that he was a bit surprised to get four year deal.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
- Says if Eberle is out for a while and Ho-Sang isn't called up, Ho-Sang likely won't be given another opportunity.

- Said he believes Komarov is a potential buyout candidate, either this summer or next.

- Islanders aren't worried about any of their prospects' development right now.

- Mentions Jeff Skinner or Kevin Hayes as possible additions this summer, outside of the big names.

- Still thinks Leddy is likely to be traded this summer.

- Thinks Lee is a lock to re-sign. Nelson likely, and Eberle is a goner.

- Mentions confidence is an issue with Beauvillier, but also points out that he's on his third coach in three years.

- Says nobody will trade for Ladd with his current deal.

- Said he believe Lamoriello went for the big fish at the deadline, didn't pay much attention to the smaller ones.

If you don't have already have a subscription to The Athletic, you should probably get one. It's been really good this year.

Been pretty much feeling the same way about the bolded statements.

As I'm sure many of us have been.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Yeah I don't get the Komarov thing either...

I can imagine the following factors playing a role in that train of thought:
- The team is looking to free up contracts as it currently has 47 guys under NHL terms.
- Komarov seems to have played the "Uncle Leo" role pretty well. Still, the kids he's uncling have taken an almost expected step back nonetheless.
- As anyone can see, although he does have some wily attributes and some veteran savvy, his skating is borderline NHL level, his stick-handling hardly cuts it, his awareness level with the puck is sub-NHL level, and his shot (and some passes) aren't even NCAA level. And when the going gets tough, you're not getting those big plays/goals from him.
- The team would really like to get rid of Ladd somehow, but can't (dunno what the LTIR ramifications might look like?), and may feel it's too much to have both of these guys under contact at this point.
- This year has been about analysis, so Lou. As such, if we're taking a step forward next season, as would should, then there's only room for the guys who can help in that step upwards. That may also impact a re-signing of Filppula, to be quite honest. In fact, I'm predicting that a good 55% of the guys here or on ELCs will no longer be with the club next fall.
- Gotta think that any objective viewing of this team would indicate that it will need a re-working of the first three lines. Some players can and should stay, but the other spots will need to be upgraded.

Just my .02 cents.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
- The team is looking to free up contracts as it currently has 47 guys under NHL terms.
- Komarov seems to have played the "Uncle Leo" role pretty well. Still, the kids he's uncling have taken an almost expected step back nonetheless.
- As anyone can see, although he does have some wily attributes and some veteran savvy, his skating is borderline NHL level, his stick-handling hardly cuts it, his awareness level with the puck is sub-NHL level, and his shot (and some passes) aren't even NCAA level. And when the going gets tough, you're not getting those big plays/goals from him.
- The team would really like to get rid of Ladd somehow, but can't (dunno what the LTIR ramifications might look like?), and may feel it's too much to have both of these guys under contact at this point.
- This year has been about analysis, so Lou. As such, if we're taking a step forward next season, as would should, then there's only room for the guys who can help in that step upwards. That may also impact a re-signing of Filppula, to be quite honest. In fact, I'm predicting that a good 55% of the guys here or on ELCs will no longer be with the club next fall.
- Gotta think that any objective viewing of this team would indicate that it will need a re-working of the first three lines. Some players can and should stay, but the other spots will need to be upgraded.

Just my .02 cents.
I kinda think we will be surpised with some changes to this team next year I just have that feeling. Locks IMO are Barzal, Lee, Cizikas and Martin up front. The rest could be let go as free agents or traded. On defense I think Leddy is gone he will be traded and think they could try to move Hickey also. We could see a different group next year.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I kind of see next year being one where they go after Duchene for the 2C job as a UFA, sign Nelson/Lee and then trade for a RW by offering up a package of Beau/Koivulla and Aho. I think re-signing Filp is worth it too, not sure if we run into cap issues because of Badd, Clutter and Mouse.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I kind of see next year being one where they go after Duchene for the 2C job as a UFA, sign Nelson/Lee and then trade for a RW by offering up a package of Beau/Koivulla and Aho. I think re-signing Filp is worth it too, not sure if we run into cap issues because of Badd, Clutter and Mouse.

I think Duchene will flourish in any situation where he is not supposed to be the #1 guy.

Reactions: Big L

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Whatever anyone thinks of Hickey, he's not a cap issue. He's paid about right for a 3rd pairing defenseman, and if they really wanted to get rid of his salary they could probably do it.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Whatever anyone thinks of Hickey, he's not a cap issue. He's paid about right for a 3rd pairing defenseman, and if they really wanted to get rid of his salary they could probably do it.

I liked the signing of Hickey when we made it, but we have depth on defense and guys coming up... almost would make sense to convert him into a winger... he can't be worse that Cluttersch*ck

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I liked the signing of Hickey when we made it, but we have depth on defense and guys coming up... almost would make sense to convert him into a winger... he can't be worse that Cluttersch*ck
I suspect he's in his last season or two with the Isles. But they'll be able to move his salary - maybe even for a little something (as part of a bigger deal or for a lower round pick).

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I suspect he's in his last season or two with the Isles. But they'll be able to move his salary - maybe even for a little something (as part of a bigger deal or for a lower round pick).

He won't bring back much, would be interesting to play him as a LW for Leo and Bailey and see what happens, when Boychuk comes back... we lack forward depth and we could lose 4 forwards in the offseason

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Just my .02 cents.

I think at this point Cizikas is filling the "Kamorov" role more than stupendously. All the young guys should look up to him. Filppula, Kamorov, and Ladd are truly dead weight at this point...And two of them have contracts that run 3 and 4 more years.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
They better not resign Filppula but I wouldn't bet against it either. Lou likes his veterans and Filppula has performed better than anyone expected him too, but MDC or Ho-Sang should take his spot next season. Komarov can probably do a job for next season but is dead meat after that. Maybe they can find a way out of it through the expansion draft instead of just buying him out? It does reflect quite badly on LL if he signs him to a deal everyone knew was silly and then proceeds to buy him out a year or two later. NHLPA will not like that and such things could provide a problem when the CBA comes up next.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
They better not resign Filppula but I wouldn't bet against it either. Lou likes his veterans and Filppula has performed better than anyone expected him too, but MDC or Ho-Sang should take his spot next season. Komarov can probably do a job for next season but is dead meat after that. Maybe they can find a way out of it through the expansion draft instead of just buying him out? It does reflect quite badly on LL if he signs him to a deal everyone knew was silly and then proceeds to buy him out a year or two later. NHLPA will not like that and such things could provide a problem when the CBA comes up next.

Ho-Sang isn’t a center, and MDC shouldn’t be allowed more than 10 feet away from the wall
Not sure how these 2 take Filppula’s spot

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Filpulla is not in same league of badness as others under discussion. Franz lite...he's a center, very good defensively, kills penalties, has some offensive skill and has chipped in some pretty big goals this season. And depth wise organization is weakest at center. We are really missing him now and I hope he is re signed.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

For the 3 C I'm kind of thinking let's take a waiver on Mikhail Grigorenko. He's looking like he's starting to figure it out in the KHL. And worst case he's a 30 point 3C.

2C either bring in Duchene. I think that would be a strong Center group.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
What were they supposed to do...Lose? I think this year was a wild success beyond almost anyone's expectations no matter what happens from this point out.

Besides...We're not talking about this past year. We're talking about what they do from this point forward. The goal is never to lose, but if the Isles lose Nelson, Lee, Eberle, and Lehner and do not replace them with AT LEAST the same level of talent, then they are going to have a worse season next year without immediate solutions to replace all the new holes in the roster that will have opened up.

You suggested they tank and they will not do that.
No one would go to the games and no one will want to come here.

The Isles will remain competitive and probably continue to be on the top half of the division and conference with their coaching staff and a Defense alone.
They won’t make moves that will hurt the future but they will not put a product on the ice that will not be competitive for a playoff spot.

They eye will continue to be on long term success, but to suggest they tank, will never happen as they need to continue building success.

I am pretty confident about that.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
The only winger I really want to bring in is Panarin since he's a game breaker. Rather have Duchene here. Anyone can say he's a coach killer or anything like that but look at the organization's he's played for. He hasn't had a great run of stability there.

Plus you have guys like Bellows and Wahlstrom coming. These guys are shooters. Yea I get Bellows didn't have the best year production wise in the AHL but I'm still high on him. From what I saw in the pre season and in some AHL games he does have a future here. Wahlstrom does too, the numbers do not reflect it. The guy took 121 shots in 36 games(3.3 shots per game about). He does that in the NHL that's about 270 for the year. No way that guy shoots at a 6.6% clip next year. He's too good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad