Staples Twitter: Staple's Latest Q&A 3/20/19

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
- Says if Eberle is out for a while and Ho-Sang isn't called up, Ho-Sang likely won't be given another opportunity.

- Thinks Koivula is a long shot to be called up. Fritz might be an option.

- Said he believes Komarov is a potential buyout candidate, either this summer or next.

- Islanders aren't worried about any of their prospects' development right now.

- Mentions Jeff Skinner or Kevin Hayes as possible additions this summer, outside of the big names.

- Still thinks Leddy is likely to be traded this summer.

- Thinks Lee is a lock to re-sign. Nelson likely, and Eberle is a goner.

- Mentions confidence is an issue with Beauvillier, but also points out that he's on his third coach in three years.

- Says nobody will trade for Ladd with his current deal.

- Said he believe Lamoriello went for the big fish at the deadline, didn't pay much attention to the smaller ones.

- Soderstrom is back in Sweden right now. Lost the entire year.

- Snow and Weight are both still collecting a paycheck with the team but do nothing for the team.

If you don't have already have a subscription to The Athletic, you should probably get one. It's been really good this year.

Recap: Islanders Q&A with Arthur Staple on March 20, 2019

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Why buyout Komarov after a single season?
Wouldnt rather not get Skinner or Hayes
I think Leddy is a goner as well. Does not fit the team.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For those interested specifically about the Komarov comment, here is the Q&A for that:

Question:
Seeing how Komarov has multiple years left, is he really going to be on the 3rd line again next year seeing how the 4th line is seemingly set in stone?

Answer:
I think he's a much more likely buyout candidate this summer (or next) than Ladd.

According to capfriendly, if Komarov is bought out this summer his cap hit looks like this:

Year 1: $277,778
Year 2: $2,277,778
Year 3: $1,777,778
Year 4: $777,778
Year 5: $777,778
Year 6: $777,778

Waiting until next year gives the following:

Year 1: $2,083,333
Year 2: $1,583,333
Year 3: $583,333
Year 4: $583,333

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Am I the only one here who thinks Kevin Hayes is an underwhelming player who spends far too many games floating?

Skip Hayes, and skip Duchene. There’s something abou Duchene that makes me think he’s not a good guy in the room.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Am I the only one here who thinks Kevin Hayes is an underwhelming player who spends far too many games floating?

He's a bigger, more play-making version of of Nelson. He's never had a negative +/- though, but has also never broken 50 points. Might fight nicely into the Trotz system though.

Reactions: Riseonfire

crasherino

May 9, 2013
For those interested specifically about the Komarov comment, here is the Q&A for that:

Question:

Answer:

According to capfriendly, if Komarov is bought out this summer his cap hit looks like this:

JMO - I think they give him one more year and see what happens. If he slows down even more, you can buy him out after next season with only 2 more years to go on his deal. If you replace him with a guy on an ELC, it doesn't hurt too bad. But that 4 year deal really hurts. It would be that much better if it was even a 3 year deal. Keep him on the roster next year and then he's tradeable in his last year or, at worst, a small buyout. He's only owed $4.5m over the last 2 years anyway in real money.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Skip Hayes, and skip Duchene. There’s something abou Duchene that makes me think he’s not a good guy in the room.
Maybe its him talking shit about his coach (who he knows for less than a year) with all his teammates? :dunno:

And while MD and Hayes may not be perfect, what's the alternative right now? We've got to fill the Center spots somehow.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yes, and Hayes has a bigger body and just doesn’t use it enough to drive the net.

He gets a lot of his goals in the same area that Lee does, but probably doesn't do it as much as he should. He does PK though, which does add some value. I wouldn't hate it if he were brought in to replace Nelson, but I'm hoping either Hayes or Nelson are bumped down to the third line while we get someone much better to fill in the other center spot.

Reactions: MJF

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Maybe its him talking **** about his coach (who he knows for less than a year) with all his teammates? :dunno:

And while MD and Hayes may not be perfect, what's the alternative right now? We've got to fill the Center spots somehow.

I'd be willing to bet that every single player has talked smack about his coach with his teammates behind closed doors. I do not hold that against him.

RE: Snow & Weight - maybe Gomez could consult Weight on any PP ideas...

Reactions: Riseonfire

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
Interesting read. Here’s some of my thoughts on some of that.

1. Leddy being traded needs to happen. He stinks. I can’t stand him any longer and if he’s viewed as a number 3 damn? Get a decent haul back.

2. Eberle being a goner is kinda crappy but unless we replace him. I like Eberle a lot and despite his lack of production, I’m a fan of his. But, if we lose him, I won’t be torn.

3. Lee is a must to resign. I agree. I don’t see him going anywhere. I’m also all for Brock resigning. Trotz totally elevated his game and he brings a good amount to the table.

4. Skinner is made of glass but man I like his game. I’m all for Hayes tho. Another player whom has come into his own. Resign Lee and Nelson, sign Hayes and trade Leddy? Sign me up.

5. Lou going after only the big fish is so encouraging. It means he’s fully aware and realizes we need a big piece. I have faith in him, he won’t make a bad deal.

All in all, this offseason will be a lot of fun, hopefully. I don’t wanna build my hopes up too high but I have more anticipation because of the teams surprising sucesss, Trotz at the Helm and Big Lou in charge.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
He gets a lot of his goals in the same area that Lee does, but probably doesn't do it as much as he should. He does PK though, which does add some value. I wouldn't hate it if he were brought in to replace Nelson, but I'm hoping either Hayes or Nelson are bumped down to the third line while we get someone much better to fill in the other center spot.

The other option for the second line center spot is to just keep Hayes/Nelson there while signing a big time winger such as Panarin to pivot the second line. As long as the Islanders have two studs on the first two lines I think it will work out either way.

Hayes would be a great fit here for the system Trotz is running by the way.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

Nope, I prefer he wasn't on the isles myself. I see him as a 3rd liner, younger than Fil and I guess more likely to not lose value but I wouldn't want to commit long term money and certainly not top 6 cash.

As for Komarov, call me crazy but I'd rather him than Clutterbuck. I know breaking up that line is tough but if we could work a trade for Clutterbuck I'd be ok with slotting him down

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'd be willing to bet that every single player has talked smack about his coach with his teammates behind closed doors. I do not hold that against him.

RE: Snow & Weight - maybe Gomez could consult Weight on any PP ideas...

To a degree, I'm sure you're right. But that seemed a little excessive. It wasn't like "Man, Gomez was a pain in the ass today." It was like "Does that guy have a clue what he's doing? Has he EVER had a successful PP?"

It seemed pretty harsh. But maybe you're right and I don't really hold it against him either. It was just really uncomfortable.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
To a degree, I'm sure you're right. But that seemed a little excessive. It wasn't like "Man, Gomez was a pain in the ass today." It was like "Does that guy have a clue what he's doing? Has he EVER had a successful PP?"

It seemed pretty harsh. But maybe you're right and I don't really hold it against him either. It was just really uncomfortable.

Definitely uncomfortable. But I believe it's the nature of the beast. Being around people that often is the ultimate love/hate relationship. Sometimes you just snap and have to get it off your chest.

Pretty positive this happens at all levels of athletics, and players aren't the only ones...I can only imagine what the coaches room had to say about players in a loss like last night.

We used crucify our coach on Friday / Saturday nights (alcohol inspired) about coaching decisions, mannerisms, his outfits, etc. but I love the guy.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
- Says if Eberle is out for a while and Ho-Sang isn't called up, Ho-Sang likely won't be given another opportunity.

- Thinks Koivula is a long shot to be called up. Fritz might be an option.

- Said he believes Komarov is a potential buyout candidate, either this summer or next.

- Islanders aren't worried about any of their prospects' development right now.

- Mentions Jeff Skinner or Kevin Hayes as possible additions this summer, outside of the big names.

- Still thinks Leddy is likely to be traded this summer.

- Thinks Lee is a lock to re-sign. Nelson likely, and Eberle is a goner.

- Mentions confidence is an issue with Beauvillier, but also points out that he's on his third coach in three years.

- Says nobody will trade for Ladd with his current deal.

- Said he believe Lamoriello went for the big fish at the deadline, didn't pay much attention to the smaller ones.

- Soderstrom is back in Sweden right now. Lost the entire year.

- Snow and Weight are both still collecting a paycheck with the team but do nothing for the team.

If you don't have already have a subscription to The Athletic, you should probably get one. It's been really good this year.

Recap: Islanders Q&A with Arthur Staple on March 20, 2019

They are not buying Komorov out this summer.

Reactions: Macch

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
The other option for the second line center spot is to just keep Hayes/Nelson there while signing a big time winger such as Panarin to pivot the second line. As long as the Islanders have two studs on the first two lines I think it will work out either way.

They need to sign at least 2 Cs this summer, assuming Fil or Brock don’t resign before summer. Right now the depth chart is Barzal, Cizikas, Fritz for signed players. They should probably sign 3 to be honest.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Maybe its him talking **** about his coach (who he knows for less than a year) with all his teammates? :dunno:

I’d rather re-sign Nelson if he wants to stay here. And that takes a lot to get me to say this.

I’ll stick with the turd I know.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I think this is the way to go but I’m not sold on Hayes.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Nope, I prefer he wasn't on the isles myself. I see him as a 3rd liner, younger than Fil and I guess more likely to not lose value but I wouldn't want to commit long term money and certainly not top 6 cash.

As for Komarov, call me crazy but I'd rather him than Clutterbuck. I know breaking up that line is tough but if we could work a trade for Clutterbuck I'd be ok with slotting him down
Clutterbuck has a legit wrist shot that he just doesn’t use enough. Plus he can’t stay healthy. I like the guy but I’d sooner move his contract than Leo’s.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Question:

Answer:

Both choices manageable. I’d rather keep him for depth next year. He isn’t totally useless. He’s over paid but plays hard and is solid defensively. He’s also really loved by his teammates and younger guys.

The only way I’d buy him out is if it was needed to use that extra space on a high priced free agent.

I’d much rather they look for a way to get rid of Ladd.

I think Lee and Nelson are re-signed as well. I just hope the deals aren’t insane.

If we didn’t land Panarin I wouldn’t be against Skinner because we need a goal scorer. I just think he may break the bank this year and might not live up to the deal he gets. Although, not many UFAs do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad