Staples Twitter: Staple's Latest Q&A 3/20/19

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Yes, and Hayes has a bigger body and just doesn’t use it enough to drive the net.
Yeah I’d agree if it was Nelson or Hayes I probably just stay with Nelson. Trotz likes him and he has had a great year maybe jus having a real coach has woke him up.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Interesting read. Here’s some of my thoughts on some of that.

1. Leddy being traded needs to happen. He stinks. I can’t stand him any longer and if he’s viewed as a number 3 damn? Get a decent haul back.

2. Eberle being a goner is kinda crappy but unless we replace him. I like Eberle a lot and despite his lack of production, I’m a fan of his. But, if we lose him, I won’t be torn.

3. Lee is a must to resign. I agree. I don’t see him going anywhere. I’m also all for Brock resigning. Trotz totally elevated his game and he brings a good amount to the table.

4. Skinner is made of glass but man I like his game. I’m all for Hayes tho. Another player whom has come into his own. Resign Lee and Nelson, sign Hayes and trade Leddy? Sign me up.

5. Lou going after only the big fish is so encouraging. It means he’s fully aware and realizes we need a big piece. I have faith in him, he won’t make a bad deal.

All in all, this offseason will be a lot of fun, hopefully. I don’t wanna build my hopes up too high but I have more anticipation because of the teams surprising sucesss, Trotz at the Helm and Big Lou in charge.
I’d be interested in Zuccarello I don’t know if he just doesn’t go back to rangers though.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Both choices manageable. I’d rather keep him for depth next year. He isn’t totally useless. He’s over paid but plays hard and is solid defensively. He’s also really loved by his teammates and younger guys.

The only way I’d buy him out is if it was needed to use that extra space on a high priced free agent.

I’d much rather they look for a way to get rid of Ladd.

I think Lee and Nelson are re-signed as well. I just hope the deals aren’t insane.

If we didn’t land Panarin I wouldn’t be against Skinner because we need a goal scorer. I just think he may break the bank this year and might not live up to the deal he gets. Although, not many UFAs do.
Lou’s gotta work some magic with Ladd, LTIR is probably more likely than anything with him though.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
He's a bigger, more play-making version of of Nelson. He's never had a negative +/- though, but has also never broken 50 points. Might fight nicely into the Trotz system though.

The Islanders need to get heavier in their top 6. Just ask Boston.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
- Says if Eberle is out for a while and Ho-Sang isn't called up, Ho-Sang likely won't be given another opportunity.

- Thinks Koivula is a long shot to be called up. Fritz might be an option.

- Said he believes Komarov is a potential buyout candidate, either this summer or next.

- Islanders aren't worried about any of their prospects' development right now.

- Mentions Jeff Skinner or Kevin Hayes as possible additions this summer, outside of the big names.

- Still thinks Leddy is likely to be traded this summer.

- Thinks Lee is a lock to re-sign. Nelson likely, and Eberle is a goner.

- Mentions confidence is an issue with Beauvillier, but also points out that he's on his third coach in three years.

- Says nobody will trade for Ladd with his current deal.

- Said he believe Lamoriello went for the big fish at the deadline, didn't pay much attention to the smaller ones.

- Soderstrom is back in Sweden right now. Lost the entire year.

- Snow and Weight are both still collecting a paycheck with the team but do nothing for the team.

If you don't have already have a subscription to The Athletic, you should probably get one. It's been really good this year.

Recap: Islanders Q&A with Arthur Staple on March 20, 2019
Surprised Nelson is likely to be signed, I guess they can try and upgrade top six on his wing by letting Eberle walk and getting someone to play with Barzal. To me if they get panerin and Zuccarello I’d be very happy with offseason.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
1. Cap space is not going to be a problem for the Islanders in the near future. Nor does cap space win championships.
2. When you have time, use it. (right from Lous mouth)

That means don't expect any buyouts, or cap dump trades. Ladd, Clutterbuck and Leo are going nowhere unless an actual trade comes along that makes sense. In two years there will be another expansion draft, between then and now a lot can happen. There's a pretty good chance Ladd is LTIR'ed by that point.

Clutterbuck is just as important to that line as Martin and Cizikas. The guy gets hurt because of the style he plays. He's not terribly overpaid and most nights his presence is a net positive. Leo has been an important part of the bottom six and especially on the PK.

Nick Leddy isn't going anywhere until you have someone that can replace the minutes he plays. Period, and Toews isn't the answer when it requires also playing Pelech and Hickey behind him. Going from Leddy, Toews and Pelech/Hickey to Toews, Pelech, Hickey is a sizeable net loss to what is already a weakness.

I think Lou made a huge mistake not making even a small move at the deadline. Dzingle or even Brassard would have been a good shot in the arm without breaking the bank or sacrificing chemistry.

I'm not holding out hope for Duchene or Panarin either, for different reasons. I pray that one of Beauvillier, Ho-Sang, MDC etc... really gets their shit together next season.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I still think Kovalchuk is very much on LLs radar. After his signing bonus is paid next season, his actual salary is 700k then $4.25m the following season.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
In terms of Nelson 'likely' to be signed, Staple didn't exactly iterate that. He laid the percent chance at 65% and said he is a "decent bet" to return.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Clutterbuck has a legit wrist shot that he just doesn’t use enough. Plus he can’t stay healthy. I like the guy but I’d sooner move his contract than Leo’s.

I still feel like the fourth line isn't good if it's missing any of those players. I used to think it was just Cizikas, but when Clutter is out, they suck. When Martin is out, they suck. It's really like they all have to be there for that line to play well. I just don't think it's worth messing with them.

Reactions: Instant and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I still feel like the fourth line isn't good if it's missing any of those players. I used to think it was just Cizikas, but when Clutter is out, they suck. When Martin is out, they suck. It's really like they all have to be there for that line to play well. I just don't think it's worth messing with them.
That’s true. The 4th line is better than the sum of it’s parts.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Kevin Hayes is just basically Brock Nelson, but much stronger. Don't want two of those type of players.

I like Leo on the team, he's just so limited offensively. Would rather not him getting bought out after this season. Makes no sense to do that after we signed him to that contract.

I'm still holding out hope for Eberle's price dropping. This season has to have hurt his value in some way or another. If he's OK with taking 3-4.5 million for 3 years, I would strongly consider bringing him back.

I'm out on Skinner. Love his game, but he wants north of $8M and he's hurt a lot.

I'd look at Brassard as Filppula's replacement. I think he'd be a great 3C. Good guy to have in the room as well.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Kevin Hayes is just basically Brock Nelson, but much stronger. Don't want two of those type of players.

I like Leo on the team, he's just so limited offensively. Would rather not him getting bought out after this season. Makes no sense to do that after we signed him to that contract.

I'm still holding out hope for Eberle's price dropping. This season has to have hurt his value in some way or another. If he's OK with taking 3-4.5 million for 3 years, I would strongly consider bringing him back.

I'm out on Skinner. Love his game, but he wants north of $8M and he's hurt a lot.

I'd look at Brassard as Filppula's replacement. I think he'd be a great 3C. Good guy to have in the room as well.
Considering Skinner didn't miss much time after a play where it looked like his ankle snapped like a twig I'd say he's pretty durable. Unless we totally lowball him he isn't going anywhere because he wants to live close to his home of Toronto (which is why he steered himself to Buffalo in the first place).

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Question, has there been any movement on Belmont have they even started bringing equipment in? I bring this up because of all the discussion about landing free agents.
I believe this is a huge hindrance in pursuing UFA"s let alone the competition of other teams . Players want routine, they like to know where they will be practicing and playing daily.
It will be difficult to sell the narrative well in a few years we will have a state of the art facility. This is NY where construction delays are legendary! So we have no way of knowing how long it will take for the new arena. Yes we have great management now and the tide is turning however bouncing between L.I. and Brooklyn is still problematic.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Question, has there been any movement on Belmont have they even started bringing equipment in? I bring this up because of all the discussion about landing free agents.
I believe this is a huge hindrance in pursuing UFA"s let alone the competition of other teams . Players want routine, they like to know where they will be practicing and playing daily.
It will be difficult to sell the narrative well in a few years we will have a state of the art facility. This is NY where construction delays are legendary! So we have no way of knowing how long it will take for the new arena. Yes we have great management now and the tide is turning however bouncing between L.I. and Brooklyn is still problematic.

And still likely to occur for another two or three years even when shovels break dirt. That's why I keep saying that those hypothesizing what UFA's we will get like it's as simple as just pointing at them and saying "I want you" are going to be in for the sad reality of history. We never land big UFAs. We'll be looking at second tier ones at the best and still competing pretty fiercely for them. I almost feel like we should resign Eberle just to use him in a trade (but yes I realize that's unrealistic as it hardly ever happens that way, he'll get an NMC from someone). I think our only move other than second tier UFA's like Hayes or Skinner (I agree Skinner probably is staying in Buffalo) is perhaps a UFA from Russia and a trade of Leddy for help up front. Other than that I don't think our offseason is going to be as impactful as some are wishing it to be. Our future still hinges on guys like Bellows, Wahlstrom and Dobson.

PS: Last October they said they expected a construction date to start around May. So if May comes and goes with no movement then I think it's time to get concerned.

Reactions: ndgolden

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Anyone could probably go to the Belmont building department and see if any permits have been pulled to start construction. That’d give you a good indication if construction is about to start.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And still likely to occur for another two or three years even when shovels break dirt. That's why I keep saying that those hypothesizing what UFA's we will get like it's as simple as just pointing at them and saying "I want you" are going to be in for the sad reality of history. We never land big UFAs. We'll be looking at second tier ones at the best and still competing pretty fiercely for them. I almost feel like we should resign Eberle just to use him in a trade (but yes I realize that's unrealistic as it hardly ever happens that way, he'll get an NMC from someone). I think our only move other than second tier UFA's like Hayes or Skinner (I agree Skinner probably is staying in Buffalo) is perhaps a UFA from Russia and a trade of Leddy for help up front. Other than that I don't think our offseason is going to be as impactful as some are wishing it to be. Our future still hinges on guys like Bellows, Wahlstrom and Dobson.

PS: Last October they said they expected a construction date to start around May. So if May comes and goes with no movement then I think it's time to get concerned.
Ledecky said May. ESD said 2Q of 2019 which spans through the end of June. The Belmont Stakes (the most important day on Belmont’s schedule where every parking spot is needed) is June 8th.

So don’t expect any shovels until the end of June at the earliest.

Reactions: periferal

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I'd be willing to bet that every single player has talked smack about his coach with his teammates behind closed doors. I do not hold that against him.

RE: Snow & Weight - maybe Gomez could consult Weight on any PP ideas...

Agreed, Shittalking your coach is PART of being a teammate. It's common bonding. Players rip coaches and coaches rip players. It is known.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For those interested specifically about the Komarov comment, here is the Q&A for that:

Question:

Answer:

According to capfriendly, if Komarov is bought out this summer his cap hit looks like this:

Year 1: $277,778
Year 2: $2,277,778
Year 3: $1,777,778
Year 4: $777,778
Year 5: $777,778
Year 6: $777,778

Waiting until next year gives the following:

Year 1: $2,083,333
Year 2: $1,583,333
Year 3: $583,333
Year 4: $583,333

Honestly not that big of a difference at all. If they sign almost anyone to take Kamorov's spot this summer he should be bought out immediately.

Just a horrible contract from the first second it was signed. I hope it speaks more to how desperate Lou was having just taken over/losing Tavares, and not because he thought Kamorov was talented.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Skip Hayes, and skip Duchene. There’s something abou Duchene that makes me think he’s not a good guy in the room.

Was literally just thinking this and logged on to see this very sentence. Amazing.

Duchene is super-talented and plays a position we desperately need so it's VERY tempting to want to sign him, but I totally agree something is off. You just have to wonder if it's a coincidence or telling that the Avs got better after he left and the Sens got worse after he arrived.

...And then the Uber fiasco was icing on the cake. I know players say lots of things behind closed doors, but in that video/situation, Duchene seemed the furthest thing from a leader - Just not someone you give roughly 10% of your cap to.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Honestly not that big of a difference at all. If they sign almost anyone to take Kamorov's spot this summer he should be bought out immediately.

Just a horrible contract from the first second it was signed. I hope it speaks more to how desperate Lou was having just taken over/losing Tavares, and not because he thought Kamorov was talented.

The contract was gross. It should have been two years, but lets not act like the value of a signing is ONLY on the ice.

I get people don't love hearing about 'character' guys, but the fact is there is still a lot of growing up for a 20/21/22 year old. Komarov has been great at bringing the younger guys along.

I wish it was a 2 year deal (or that we could make Leo the team Dad instead of a player).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The contract was gross. It should have been two years, but lets not act like the value of a signing is ONLY on the ice.

I get people don't love hearing about 'character' guys, but the fact is there is still a lot of growing up for a 20/21/22 year old. Komarov has been great at bringing the younger guys along.

I wish it was a 2 year deal (or that we could make Leo the team Dad instead of a player).

I can see it now, Leo upstairs in the suite on the Dad's trip after his contract is bought out.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Anyone consider that if we can't/don't/won't...

1. Resign Lee/Nelson
  2. Sign at least one of the big FA's
  3. Make a significant trade

...that the thing to do next season might be to tank 19-20 and do the rebuild right? Because even if we do all 3 above, there are still going to be holes on this roster, and I don't believe there's enough in the prospect/future's cupboard to trade to fill all those holes.

Besides...Look at all the Cup winners the last 15-20 years. Pretty much all of them drafted their core who played together for a few years before they started contending.

The core of this team is Barzal (21) and the young defenseman (24-26)...And with Dobson, Wahlstrom, Wilde, etc coming up behind them, we should be building around good players in the 18-25 age range - Players that you can't sign as FA's and nearly impossible to trade for. Players you really can only get by drafting high and well.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Rise -

You simply won't find someone who agrees more that you need character guys/leaders in your lineup. There's simply no question about it and I say the more the merrier. That said at some point a guy doesn't have enough talent or can't play anymore to warrant a signing. Kamorov is one of those guys. I'd sooner have let him take Gomez's coaching position than give him that contract.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
He gets a lot of his goals in the same area that Lee does, but probably doesn't do it as much as he should. He does PK though, which does add some value. I wouldn't hate it if he were brought in to replace Nelson, but I'm hoping either Hayes or Nelson are bumped down to the third line while we get someone much better to fill in the other center spot.

I think Nelson on the 3rd line is a fail. He needs better support players.
Not sure about Hayes there, but he is a better to-way forward than Nelson IMO and may be a good fit for Trotz system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad