Confirmed with Link: Stanley signed - 2yrs, $900k

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
DeMelo on Biiiiig Logan from his long-form interview in The Athletic:

I figured Stan (Logan Stanley) was going to get protected over me, and that was purely off how great of a year he had and the potential he has as a player. His growth, if he can get to where we all think he can get to, he’s going to be a heck of a defenceman in this league. And I understood that.

Dylan DeMelo on Brenden Dillon, Nate Schmidt and the emotions of Seattle exposure
Great guy, with a good head on his shoulders. Maybe that's why he understood why Stanley was protected more easily than.....nvm
:sarcasm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I figured Stan (Logan Stanley) was going to get protected over me, and that was purely off how great of a year he had and the potential he has as a player. His growth, if he can get to where we all think he can get to, he’s going to be a heck of a defenceman in this league. And I understood that.

Dylan DeMelo on Brenden Dillon, Nate Schmidt and the emotions of Seattle exposure

What a class act. Dilly’s reputation coming in was that he was down to earth and a great guy. This article adds to the legend.

I know “the room” thing can probably be overrated but keeping DeMelo, getting Stastny back, and adding locker room super stars Schmidt and Dillon can only help as far as building a tight team.

Last edited:

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

DeMelo is f***ing awesome. Seems like we have a great dressing room!

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I recall there was quite an uproar that we traded up for Stanley with Dennis Cholowski on the board.
Stanley was protected, Dennis was not in the xpansion draft
Seems we made the right choice

Reactions: thai jet

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I recall there was quite an uproar that we traded up for Stanley with Dennis Cholowski on the board.
Stanley was protected, Dennis was not in the xpansion draft
Seems we made the right choice
Not according to all the people who wanted DeMelo protected over Stanley ;)

Reactions: thai jet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
reading some of the commentary on TC/pre-season, seems like stanley has been rather unimpressive. but not sure if the other 2 young dmen have really leaped off the page positively either (i haven't watched a squat of pre-season, this is just going off commentary i've read on the boards, or twitter so will defer to others)

i liked his play during the canadian division year. i thought showed real well, even if it was primarily w/ demelo against an anomaly schedule/set of opponents. i thought it was a good starting point and when forbort was really floundering & pionk was carrying the load, i think it would've been beneficial for him to get some top-4 reps to see if there was anything there.

this past year i thought he took a big 6'7 step-back. he was in his draft+6th now, by now he should be able to hold down a 3rd pair. but again, w/o demelo, the Jets were no bueno w/ him on the ice. got some top-4 reps as well and it was rated our worst pair defensively.

1664827674834.png

this org moved up in the draft with a v early 2nd, protected him at the expansion draft, i highly doubt he will be waived. he will get claimed imo.

where do others view him this year? if a whole wack of players are getting the excuse or a pass b/c of 'poor systems' or coaching or w/e, i am guessing the org. may view it the similarly for stanley. i've always thought he'd be our 3LD to start, not what I would do but just how i think the org. will proceed.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyKillian

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
reading some of the commentary on TC/pre-season, seems like stanley has been rather unimpressive. but not sure if the other 2 young dmen have really leaped off the page positively either (i haven't watched a squat of pre-season, this is just going off commentary i've read on the boards, or twitter so will defer to others)

i liked his play during the canadian division year. i thought showed real well, even if it was primarily w/ demelo against an anomaly schedule/set of opponents. i thought it was a good starting point and when forbort was really floundering & pionk was carrying the load, i think it would've been beneficial for him to get some top-4 reps to see if there was anything there.

this past year i thought he took a big 6'7 step-back. he was in his draft+6th now, by now he should be able to hold down a 3rd pair. but again, w/o demelo, the Jets were no bueno w/ him on the ice. got some top-4 reps as well and it was rated our worst pair defensively.

View attachment 590521

this org moved up in the draft with a v early 2nd, protected him at the expansion draft, i highly doubt he will be waived. he will get claimed imo.

where do others view him this year? if a whole wack of players are getting the excuse or a pass b/c of 'poor systems' or coaching or w/e, i am guessing the org. may view it the similarly for stanley. i've always thought he'd be our 3LD to start, not what I would do but just how i think the org. will proceed.
I don't think he's been unimpressive. 5 on 5 he's been pretty hard to beat 1 on 1. The last game I forget who it was but he put the back door pass right there, just a whiff. He's been tough physically, which is not something that was originally part of his game, but it is what it takes for him to keep playing as a Jet. I think Samberg skates and defends better, which puts him in the 7/8 territory. I think there is a drop off after him to the next tier. Kovacevic hasn't been strong, he sure had trouble with Caufield's speed. I can't really say where Capobianco stands, but he's probably a tweener at best.

Stanley can have a big impact on this team. Last year's stats are water under the bridge, new coaching, new systems. If Stanley keeps good gap control, his hits are solid enough to jolt players, and guarantee separation from the puck, if not some of the equipment too. Haven't seen a hitter like that since Big Buff. He seems poised with the puck in the offensive zone, in the defensive zone, he seems better at creating separation, for loose pucks. Maybe I am missing something though, my eyes are getting old.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think he's been unimpressive. 5 on 5 he's been pretty hard to beat 1 on 1. The last game I forget who it was but he put the back door pass right there, just a whiff. He's been tough physically, which is not something that was originally part of his game, but it is what it takes for him to keep playing as a Jet. I think Samberg skates and defends better, which puts him in the 7/8 territory. I think there is a drop off after him to the next tier. Kovacevic hasn't been strong, he sure had trouble with Caufield's speed. I can't really say where Capobianco stands, but he's probably a tweener at best.

Stanley can have a big impact on this team. Last year's stats are water under the bridge, new coaching, new systems. If Stanley keeps good gap control, his hits are solid enough to jolt players, and guarantee separation from the puck, if not some of the equipment too. Haven't seen a hitter like that since Big Buff. He seems poised with the puck in the offensive zone, in the defensive zone, he seems better at creating separation, for loose pucks. Maybe I am missing something though, my eyes are getting old.

We must be watching different games. He's been torched one on one by speed multuple tines in every game he's played this preseason. He's been fine infront of the net and ok on the boards. His breakouts have been inconsistent.

Reactions: Mathil8

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
We must be watching different games. He's been torched one on one by speed multuple tines in every game he's played this preseason. He's been fine infront of the net and ok on the boards. His breakouts have been inconsistent.
I haven't watched closely enough to validate my opinion, but I was thinking of that Montreal game, where Dach tries to put the power move on him, and he's got him on the edge, but the big guy with that Tyler Myers like reach just pokes the puck in the corner, and then buries him. Those are big league plays against NHL talent. The thing I've been watching more closely is PK, and Samberg is definitely better than Stanley on the PK, and that could be a factor when the points start to count.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Gotta give them time to learn the system and new roles. I don't think Stan is more than a 3 LD if he hits his potential but it's possible he's doing what he's told to do and others aren't. I think they want him to be a defensive guy but I don't think he is or ever will be.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He's not much of a gap player but he really doesn't have to be -
His reach is an asset that allows him to back in more than most should -

As noted by another poster, he'll give your the outside but it doesn't mean he gets beat -
He'll work you wide and then use the stick - doesn't look as pretty as an aggressive gap but it works.
Some are even calling it out as though he is beat - but going wide on him with his reach, is a tough play.
It looks like they want him to work on this strategy when backing in. I have no issue with that approach.

He takes the man - that point gets little credit from many but it's important to have a couple of guys on the blue line that can do that.

He is a heads up player - his passing is solid and he's aware of what's going on around him.
He can shoot and he can add offense if that is what they want from him.

What he doesn't do well is skate - awkward at best. That removed a lot of the offensive options for Stan.
He's also not quick enough to be defending via gap - he need to use other strengths to over come this shortfall.

I think the org sticks with him - but he might be part of a tag team while Samberg gets ready.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018

View attachment 590521

As much as Stanley hasn't had a standout camp, neither have Heinola or Samberg. The tiebreak is always going to the guy who's 6'7".

Bones has suggested they may go with a platoon approach depending on team need. My guess is that Stanley starts but that he will be on a short leash if the team starts losing.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Logan is Logan. I am not expecting much but if he is part of a platoon then let the best man get the minutes. Usually their are injuries to D men so I am going to be patient and see what happens.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
I don’t see Maenalanen making the team, since he hasn’t scored any points yet, despite the opportunities he’s been given.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Logan has had far too many giveaways for my liking this preseason. He needs to be better protecting the puck. Samberg seems to be a solid pk’er, and better defensively, while Ville is a solid #2 pp option.

I like Ville over Pionk and Nate in that #2 pp role, but I can see the vets getting that time in the regular season.

Reactions: Mathil8

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
How has Stanley looked the last few games? Is 88 injured?

Heinola returning soonish so a big decision will need to be made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad