GDT: Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1/Game 1 - Avs @ Preds - Playoffs Are Fun - 7:30PM MST

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Avs were beaten by a better team, that I can't complain about. At least they put up a hell of a fight, the game was fairly even when it comes right down to it. 60/40 in favor of the Preds. We'll be able to make a series of it at least, which is all I asked for at the outset.

Also don't know where the dirty accusations are coming from. By and large, they were clean hits, and the dirty ones, like the Watson cross check, were called appropriately. They play a more physical game than the Avs do, but ultimately I don't feel like that was the difference in the game. The difference was Rinne and Forsberg, two of the best in the game at their positions. Hopefully MacK can go superstar on his own a few times and give this team something to rally around.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
As I mentioned in the playoff thread that Flyers lost that game more than Penguins, this game was the complete opposite. Predators overtook that game and absolutely deserved to win it. Avs didn't have a strong third period, but Preds showed why they're the best team in the NHL. The ability to roll four lines like they can was always going to be a tough challenge for us.

Which comes to my second point...I can handle complaining, but the whining here is pretty brutal. We are playing the best team in the NHL, what do you guys expect to happen? 99.9% of you were fortunate that we even made the postseason. If Avs want to make this a close series, they're going to need better than subpar goaltending that Bernier displayed and Rantanen/MacKinnon MUST score on their chances. Neither did and were major misses when Preds were still trying to find their legs. They did in the third and made us pay.

Not sure that the Avs need more physicality, Blackhawks overcame a much more physical Kings team like three times so it is possible. However, I would love to have an Evander Kane type of forward to join this group. Not sure if JvR is that type of player, but he is one who can handle the puck with some physicality against him. Avs won't win this series, but Avs are making something special here...you can definitely see it.

Eh, each to their own. I don't see too much whining in this thread. Obviously there's going to be upset and frustrated posters, but overall it's been pretty level-headed IMO.

Surprisingly the Blackhawks and Kings have only played each other twice in the 2013 and 2014 season. Chicago beat LA in the WCF and went on to win the cup, the following year the roles were reversed. I don't think the Blackhawks are the best example, over those years the Blackhawks had Bickell, Seabrook, Shaw, Bolland, Byfuglien, Brouwer, Ladd, etc. 2015 would be the only year they won without much 'grit'.

The thing is they had players up and down the lineup that could handle physical hockey, so there wasn't one line that was gimped when it started getting rough. Right now the 'Ghetto - Jost - Kerfoot line is next to useless. Don't get me wrong they still dig for the pucks in corners and try and play along the boards, but they aren't big or strong enough to be effective.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, which is strange because I keep reading that he's okay defensively and every game people say this, he looks putrid. Avs didn't have a perfect game either, Barberio and Rantanen both struggled with their puck skills.

Barrie's mostly fine defensively but tonight he was far from it. I thought the offense was an issue too though both at even strength and on the PP. MacKinnon is going to be the focus on the PP and if they're overplaying him, Barrie and Rantanen can't be clowning around on the other side.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Eh, each to their own. I don't see too much whining in this thread. Obviously there's going to be upset and frustrated posters, but overall it's been pretty level-headed IMO.

Surprisingly the Blackhawks and Kings have only played each other twice in the 2013 and 2014 season. Chicago beat LA in the WCF and went on to win the cup, the following year the roles were reversed. I don't think the Blackhawks are the best example, over those years the Blackhawks had Bickell, Seabrook, Shaw, Bolland, Byfuglien, Brouwer, Ladd, etc. 2015 would be the only year they won without much 'grit'.

The thing is they had players up and down the lineup that could handle physical hockey, so there wasn't one line that was gimped when it started getting rough. Right now the 'Ghetto - Jost - Kerfoot line is next to useless. Don't get me wrong they still dig for the pucks in corners and try and play along the boards, but they aren't big or strong enough to be effective.

If that line stays as ineffective in game 2, I'd try swapping Kerf with Wilson...and maybe even bring Toni or Greer in for Kerf, Gork or Jimmothy.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
We can’t physically have any series go more than 4 games. Talent loses to size in the playoffs.

You do realize that Nashville is the 30th team in the league for height, right? Avs are 29th. For weight, NSH is 17th and COL is 21st. Not really a huge difference in size there (2.3mm and 310g). It is more about style than just size. Need the guys that are willing to play that type of game...like GBourque, but with skill. Hopefully Greer can turn into that. And a few other prospects could end up helping there too...Morrison, JCB, Nantel, Lewis, or Barron (some will have to add that to their game, and unlikely for some to have both the skill I want and grit we are talking about here)

Reactions: cgf and Murzu

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You do realize that Nashville is the 30th team in the league for height, right? Avs are 29th. For weight, NSH is 17th and COL is 21st. Not really a huge difference in size there (2.3mm and 310g). It is more about style than just size. Need the guys that are willing to play that type of game...like GBourque, but with skill. Hopefully Greer can turn into that. And a few other prospects could end up helping there too...Morrison, JCB, Nantel, Lewis, or Barron (some will have to add that to their game, and unlikely for some to have both the skill I want and grit we are talking about here)

Having Meloche & AJG in this series, if we faced them next spring, would be huge.

Reactions: Murzu and Tweaky

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
You're telling me you've liked like a 100 of my posts since the migration but this is your second post now? Yeah, come to think of it that's it, lol.
I’ve been here since the miracle season off and on, there were many times I’ve wanted to post about numerous things, just never did lol. I live in Nashville, and am at EVERY Avs-Preds game, have been to a few Avs games in St Louis (most fun I’ve ever had was at the last game at StL in 13-14). Just always lurked and liked comments

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Honestly, thought this was a good game. If they had EJ and Varly I think they'd have won it. Bernier wasn't where he needed to be all night, and Barrie looked overwhelmed. They pushed hard, carried the play at times, and took it to the Preds, who had to rely on Rinne to bail them out. In the end, the Preds' depth, talent and experience was able to take over the game and bring it home. Just a sign of where the teams are at right now, and that's fine. Proud of how as a team they performed for the most part tonight, honestly, especially since if they had their #1 D and #1 goalie playing like he was near the end of the year they might have actually won it.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wanna see both smurfs really rise to the occasion in response...and if Bednar wanted to replace Wars with Alt, that'd be great...
Warsofsky is the poster child for the folly of the "But he can move the puck!" philosophy with defensemen. Yes, he can do that somewhat, but the difference between his offense and Alt's is much smaller than the difference between their defensive ability. I seriously hate everything Warsofsky brings.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’ve been here since the miracle season off and on, there were many times I’ve wanted to post about numerous things, just never did lol. I live in Nashville, and am at EVERY Avs-Preds game, have been to a few Avs games in St Louis (most fun I’ve ever had was at the last game at StL in 13-14). Just always lurked and liked comments

This still blows my mind :laugh:

Well welcome for realsies! You clearly know us well enough by now...and you like enough of my posts for me to be certain that you must be good peoples lol

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
This still blows my mind :laugh:

Well welcome for realsies! You clearly know us well enough by now...and you like enough of my posts for me to be certain that you must be good peoples lol
There are a few posters I trust more than most when it comes to this team, and you sir are definitely one them!! FWIW the fans here (exception being the guy who said MacKinnon would be a 3rd liner on the Preds lmao) were genuinely impressed with the fight our boys put up! Definitely a few clinched cheeks at Bridgestone tonight that weren’t expected! Wish I knew how to post some of the pics I got from the game!!

Also.... JFC Barbie is hot garbage lmao

Reactions: Murzu and cgf

AvHooligan

Oct 10, 2015
This team needs to stay loose if they wanna make some noise. They were loose in the first. Once they took the lead I feel like they thought "holy sh** we can actually win" and started playing too tight. That's when Preds took advantage. If they stay loose and have fun they got a shot.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Warsofsky is the poster child for the folly of the "But he can move the puck!" philosophy with defensemen. Yes, he can do that somewhat, but the difference between his offense and Alt's is much smaller than the difference between their defensive ability. I seriously hate everything Warsofsky brings.

Yeah, for the love of god Jared, stop dressing this scrub. There's a reason that at his age he's never cracked the NHL. At least Alt or even Dunc would hold up better against Nashville's relentless forecheck.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Need a better 4th line and a Johnson

i2yYun3.gif

And a Varlamov in a healthy groin treeeee!

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Preds did a great job at taking Barrie off his game. His downfall is that once he sees the space between him and an attacking forward start to dwindle, he gets flustered and either overplays the puck or has his pass picked off.

I'd be lying if I said they did the same thing to Barbs, but he just did it to himself. Seems to be really jittery and panicky for some reason.

That PK play where he attempted to not once, but twice, jam the puck along the boards through 4 forwards was inexcusable. Derpiest thing he's done in a long time.

Reactions: Murzu

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Usually I'm the most negative and frustrated Avs fan posting here whenever things looking bad, but I don't see any reason whatsoever to get frustrated or upset about this game or even if the Avs get swept by the Preds. This team has already done more than anyone expected them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad