GDT: Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1/Game 1 - Avs @ Preds - Playoffs Are Fun - 7:30PM MST

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
They put up a good fight, and were quite frankly the better team for 2/3 of the periods. The big difference was really Rinne >>>>>> Bernier.

Hopefully Rinne cools off and the Avs can get some momentum next game.

Reactions: Murzu and McMetal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Rinne came up big when he had to. He didnt have a chance on the Como goal but he made some massive saves to keep them in. Bernier couldnt match.

Yeah but you compared it to Chicago/Varly.. Varly was stopping like 40-50 shots, and letting in one goal or less just stonewalling them. I don't think it was comparable.

Edit.. I don't mean to nitpick, just didn't really agree with that comparison.

Reactions: Murzu

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've given up on even mentioning that when it happens. Anything negative there is just pretty much auto trolling around here.

Not when it's not ignoring his positives. Tonight his positives weren't there. So doubt anyone will gripe about y'all saying Barrie played as poorly as Barbie, Nemeth & Wars. So have fun Barrie-haters! ;-)

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Ya for the most part I have no problem with the lack of calls against the Preds, it's playoffs. However, the call on Mack was insanely weak and they gave a makeup call on Turris when the game was basically over (4-2), it's just frustrating that the Refs pick and choose potential momentum swings. I wouldn't call Preds a dirty team, they're just a team that knows how to play the limits in playoff hockey. Yes they did have some questionable hits, but you can tell they aren't trying to injure players.

But I'll always root for a team like Pittsburgh over Nashville. Give me the teams that win by speed and skill over the teams that wear down opponents because of the playoff rules.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Johansen hit looked dirty but overall I don't think they were dirty. Maybe some borderline stuff but they were just much more physical from the opening whistle. Avs couldn't match it, especially the Jost line.

member 116861

What sucks is that we gave them one of our best punches and we couldn't get it done. It's not like Rinne will play worse in Game 2, Bernier will play a little better but they still have the huge advantage. Plus Laviolette will have an entire game to see where the Aves succeeded and game plan to shut it down next game because they also have the advantage in the coaching department. Plus the Avs are incredibly bad on the road so the chances of that effort again isn't high. We're going home back to Denver down 0-2.

... I mean #GoAvsGo

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What sucks is that we gave them one of our best punches and we couldn't get it done. It's not like Rinne will play worse in Game 2, Bernier will play a little better but they still have the huge advantage. Plus Laviolette will have an entire game to see where the Aves succeeded and game plan to shut it down next game because they also have the advantage in the coaching department. Plus the Avs are incredibly bad on the road so the chances of that effort again isn't high. We're going home back to Denver down 0-2.

... I mean #GoAvsGo

...or we crack Rinne for 3 in the 1st period of game two, get into his head, and chase him every game the rest of the series :dunno:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As I mentioned in the playoff thread that Flyers lost that game more than Penguins, this game was the complete opposite. Predators overtook that game and absolutely deserved to win it. Avs didn't have a strong third period, but Preds showed why they're the best team in the NHL. The ability to roll four lines like they can was always going to be a tough challenge for us.

Which comes to my second point...I can handle complaining, but the whining here is pretty brutal. We are playing the best team in the NHL, what do you guys expect to happen? 99.9% of you were fortunate that we even made the postseason. If Avs want to make this a close series, they're going to need better than subpar goaltending that Bernier displayed and Rantanen/MacKinnon MUST score on their chances. Neither did and were major misses when Preds were still trying to find their legs. They did in the third and made us pay.

Not sure that the Avs need more physicality, Blackhawks overcame a much more physical Kings team like three times so it is possible. However, I would love to have an Evander Kane type of forward to join this group. Not sure if JvR is that type of player, but he is one who can handle the puck with some physicality against him. Avs won't win this series, but Avs are making something special here...you can definitely see it.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm bummed of course, but I can say that I'm proud. Go down swinging. We were a Rinne and an amazing Forsberg goal from taking this to OT at least. Come out hard in game two and see what happens. If this Avs team shows up every night and the top line pots one or two we'll do alright.

Felt damn good to wear an Avs sweater for some playoff hockey tonight,

EDIT: double negatives are bad. I'm also drunk.

Last edited:

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Ya for the most part I have no problem with the lack of calls against the Preds, it's playoffs. However, the call on Mack was insanely weak and they gave a makeup call on Turris when the game was basically over (4-2), it's just frustrating that the Refs pick and choose potential momentum swings. I wouldn't call Preds a dirty team, they're just a team that knows how to play the limits in playoff hockey. Yes they did have some questionable hits, but you can tell they aren't trying to injure players.

But I'll always root for a team like Pittsburgh over Nashville. Give me the teams that win by speed and skill over the teams that wear down opponents because of the playoff rules.

This is my issue with the refs. I honestly don't really care if they're not going to call anything or if they call everything as it is in the rulebook.

Please just don't call things based strictly on the scoreboard. Both teams had worse slashes than the penalties given to Mack and Turris, but those two were likely the ones called because of the current situation in the game. Yes they are both 'penalties' but neither was a penalty with how the rest of the game was called.

I was probably more upset with the Turris call than the Mack one because it's strictly being called because of the score and time of the game. I thought Turris did a decent job of not impeding Girard as much as he could have. I don't understand how Turris gets a penalty there but didn't on the play with Zadorov(?) shortly before one of the Preds goals (there was a faceoff immediately after the play). Obviously a lot of that play was off screen, so I have no idea if both guys should have gone as coincidental penalties or what. (Mind you I didn't see a replay, but live it looked like some pretty blatant holding that stopped I believe Zadorov from being able to get back in the D zone before Bernier covered it). Hell I don't even have an issue with no call there if they decided to not call anything.

This attempt to not influence the game by changing how things are called throughout the game is just infuriating to me. It's obviously how it's done now, so the Avs better get used to it fast unfortunately and figure out how to take advantage of it the best they can.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm bummed of course, but I can't say I'm not proud. Go down swinging. We were a Rinne and an amazing Forsberg goal from taking this to OT at least. Come out hard in game two and see what happens. If this Avs team shows up every night and the top line pots one or two we'll do alright.

Felt damn good to wear an Avs sweater for some playoff hockey tonight,

Shit if Rinne doesn't steal just two of those goals against us that game is going to OT

Reactions: Murzu and McMetal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs played fine. Not Nashville’s best game but Avs had every chance to win that one.

Was disappointed in Barrie all night.
Yeah, which is strange because I keep reading that he's okay defensively and every game people say this, he looks putrid. Avs didn't have a perfect game either, Barberio and Rantanen both struggled with their puck skills.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Overall though not upset with the outcome. Hopefully they can get going with the same jump in game 2. They'll need to find a way to solve Rinne if they want to get anywhere in the series though, he played phenomenal.

Couple Avs players that need to be better/more consistent too.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
As I mentioned in the playoff thread that Flyers lost that game more than Penguins, this game was the complete opposite. Predators overtook that game and absolutely deserved to win it. Avs didn't have a strong third period, but Preds showed why they're the best team in the NHL. The ability to roll four lines like they can was always going to be a tough challenge for us.

Which comes to my second point...I can handle complaining, but the whining here is pretty brutal. We are playing the best team in the NHL, what do you guys expect to happen? 99.9% of you were fortunate that we even made the postseason. If Avs want to make this a close series, they're going to need better than subpar goaltending that Bernier displayed and Rantanen/MacKinnon MUST score on their chances. Neither did and were major misses when Preds were still trying to find their legs. They did in the third and made us pay.

Not sure that the Avs need more physicality, Blackhawks overcame a much more physical Kings team like three times so it is possible. However, I would love to have an Evander Kane type of forward to join this group. Not sure if JvR is that type of player, but he is one who can handle the puck with some physicality against him. Avs won't win this series, but Avs are making something special here...you can definitely see it.
P R E A C H.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I doubt the Preds will let us jump on them like we did in the first two for the rest of the series. We are going to have to be even better if we want to make some noise here.

Anyways, I love this team and I'm going to bed. Go Avs, and Happy Playoffs everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad