GDT: Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1/Game 1 - Avs @ Preds - Playoffs Are Fun - 7:30PM MST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Let´s hope a lesson was learned tonight! The Preds didn´t play that "dirty", they showed this young AVS-Squad the intensity of the playoffs.

Nevertheless, I am satisfied with the performance. They gave everything they had, but in the end we still lost.

Rest well, make soma adjusts und be ready for game 2.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I don't know how this series will turn out. But I do know one thing this will be alot closer than people predicted. The avs are a straight up a fast team and deserve to be in the playoffs. They outplayed us the first 2 period. If it wasn't for rinne you guys would of probably won. I think your team is here to stay in the playoffs. Gaining that experience and maybe with an addition or 2 (Tavares anyone) you guys will be a team to recon with. To a great series.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't know how this series will turn out. But I do know one thing this will be alot closer than people predicted. The avs are a straight up a fast team and deserve to be in the playoffs. They outplayed us the first 2 period. If it wasn't for rinne you guys would of probably won. I think your team is here to stay in the playoffs. Gaining that experience and maybe with an addition or 2 (Tavares anyone) you guys will be a team to recon with. To a great series.
Don't toy with our hearts, we do it enough by ourselves. :D

I think this is going to be the type of series where the Avs are "in games" but never really a threat to the Preds. I've seen this team play that way enough when they're outmatched.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Bernier didn’t play a bad game - but I definitely felt it was a night where he was going to stop the easy stuff, but wasn’t going to make a huge save to keep the Avs in it.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
As I mentioned in the playoff thread that Flyers lost that game more than Penguins, this game was the complete opposite. Predators overtook that game and absolutely deserved to win it. Avs didn't have a strong third period, but Preds showed why they're the best team in the NHL. The ability to roll four lines like they can was always going to be a tough challenge for us.

Which comes to my second point...I can handle complaining, but the whining here is pretty brutal. We are playing the best team in the NHL, what do you guys expect to happen? 99.9% of you were fortunate that we even made the postseason. If Avs want to make this a close series, they're going to need better than subpar goaltending that Bernier displayed and Rantanen/MacKinnon MUST score on their chances. Neither did and were major misses when Preds were still trying to find their legs. They did in the third and made us pay.

Not sure that the Avs need more physicality, Blackhawks overcame a much more physical Kings team like three times so it is possible. However, I would love to have an Evander Kane type of forward to join this group. Not sure if JvR is that type of player, but he is one who can handle the puck with some physicality against him. Avs won't win this series, but Avs are making something special here...you can definitely see it.

It's not like people are here complaining solely because we lost. At least, I don't feel that way. If nashville is going to beat us, I want it to be because they f***ing PLAYED HOCKEY and beat us because they are a better and more talented team. I don't want it to be because of what I saw last night, which is a bunch of horseshit NON-CALLS and late/cheap hits. That f***tard johansen's hit on Barrie absolutely had an impact on the game because until that point, we were taking the game to them. Think I'm wrong?

How many grade A quality scoring chances did nashville have before the cheap ryjo hit on Barrie where Bernier had to make a fantastic save? Zero?

Again, WHEN is it the Avs turn for our fans to say "wow, we really got away with a bunch of stuff tonight"? I watch the games very closely and I can honestly say that I saw ONE cross-checked and ONE trip that should have been called against the Avs last night that they let go and a whole bunch of stuff the other way for them...I didn't count them all but it's for sure in the teens.

That BS hit from hartman 2 seconds after Soderberg passed the puck was bush-league and was completely ignored by the refs. I think it's pathetic that nashville thinks they need to play this way to win. You would think it would be the other way around, where we're the team that needs to have their goalie/best players run by some AHL scrub to even stand a chance to win.

If that does end up happening in this series, we for sure won't win the cup but neither will they and they'll only have themselves to blame.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Let´s hope a lesson was learned tonight! The Preds didn´t play that "dirty", they showed this young AVS-Squad the intensity of the playoffs.

Nevertheless, I am satisfied with the performance. They gave everything they had, but in the end we still lost.

Rest well, make soma adjusts und be ready for game 2.

As long as it's 'fine' when Landeskog hits Josi with that exact same hit that ryjo put on Barrie. No call. No nothing. Right?

Are you kidding me? IF that would have happened, it would have cleared the nashville bench and everyone here knows it.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Didn't see this live.

Good game from the Avs, nothing to feel ashamed of but Forsberg and Rinne playing like this scares me. :-( Two inspired world class players at their top game will be a huge challenge for the Avs. We already knew these are two good players but at their peak (top game) they are even better... obviously.

Reactions: Murzu

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Considering this was supposed to be the most lopsided series of the playoffs, that game 1 was the closest of every one except the caps/jackets. Good for the Avs. A few negative things happened last night obviously but for a team that is supposed to be rebuilding, and is missing their number 1 goalie and number 1 defenseman they played great.

It is too bad Rinne robbed Mack and Rantanen and Irwin saved that goal, but overall it was almost as good a game as you could expect from the 16 seed in the playoffs vs the stanley cup favorites on their home ice. Saturday will be a telling game, I think Mack is angry but the good kind of "I am going to beat you angry" and not the "try too hard" angry.

The one thing I would like to see is a little better reffing, the Avs can keep up with the size of Nashville when it comes to regular hockey, but they don't have a chance if the refs are going to let a ton of stuff go away from the play and after the whistle. I know they were giving out some misconducts at the end, but too little too late. You cannot allow Johansen to get away with those hits. Especially with Kadri/Doughty getting the call from player safety.

Girard and Z were great, Barrie was pretty good, and Mack really flubbed on that empty netter but meh.

TLDR: Pleasantly surprised. I think they take game 2 and one of the home games. Ice looked brutal, people falling all over.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I don't necessarily agree that the Johansen hit on Barrie merits further review/discipline. Fortunately, Barrie appeared to be okay.

I do believe, however, that Bednar could have used that incident and perhaps some of the other late (perceived late?) hits to his and the team's advantage in his post game presser, perhaps by going off on a rant regarding the safety of his players and the "reckless" play by Nashville. It could have been used as a psychological tool as part of a strategy, both with the Nashville players, and perhaps with the refs/league. It could have been used, or at least attempted to be used, as a tool to plant a seed of thought with Nashville players and the refs, perhaps by getting Nashville thinking about their hits or the refs thinking about their calls.

I don't know if he did anything like that in his post-game presser, at least I didn't hear about it. I think a lot of coaches would have tried to use it to their advantage. My impression of Bednar is that his post game comments probably consisted of something along the lines of "golly gee, shucks, I thought we played well and hard, it is too bad we lost."

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
On the game, it is hard to be too upset IMO. I thought that the Avs outplayed, or least played at the same level as Nashville for two and a half periods in the game. Under the circumstances, I thought that was impressive.

I thought Rinne was fantastic, and probably was the difference in Nashville winning over the Avs taking command of the game in the first and second periods.

I was disappointed in the play of Barrie, but I have been for most of the season, despite his point totals (this is not intended to start an argument for trading Barrie, as I am not sure that is the answer). I thought Girard (as I have thought for many weeks) is playing at a much higher level in the defensive zone (play against Forsberg notwithstanding). I also like Girard's compete level versus Barrie. Girard is smaller than Barrie, but he appears to be stronger and much more willing to battle along the boards and to take a hit to make a play.

I did not see the final TOIs from the game, but I thought Z should have been playing more, particularly over Barberio, who was an unmitigated disaster for much of the game (brutal turnover on the penalty kill, at least three bad icings, one poor penalty). Barberio had two penalties against the Blues that could have really hurt the Avs as well. EDIT: looking at the TOI numbers, Z played more than 21 minutes and Barberio played less than 18 minutes. It seemed to me that Barberio played more minutes. He may have been standing out in a bad way during his time on the ice.

One thing to watch: both in the last Nash-CO game in Denver and this game, once the Preds have the lead, they are doing a masterful job of shutting down the Avs offensive attack. They are trapping the Avs in the neutral zone and standing up at the blue line, forcing the Avs to dump the puck. In those circumstances, the Avs are refusing to dump and retrieve, either due to a lack of personnel suited to play that style or a strong reluctance to play that style.

Getting the first goal and playing with a lead may be key for the Avs in this series. It is often a key for any team, but my impression is that it may be more of a key for the Avs in this situation.

One favorable sign for the Avs, the Preds, at least based on the games that I have watched this season, are not running up disproportionate shot totals or scoring chances on the Avs, which is not the case with some teams.

The top Avs forwards, Mack, Rants, Landy (throwing Jost in that mix as well) were all -2 for the night, the worst on the team. The Avs cannot afford to come out behind in goals while those players are on the ice IMO, at least if they want to remain competitive in the series. On the flip side, those forwards generated 10 SOGs, which is solid and what the Avs need (at least IMO) on a per game basis going forward.

Last edited:

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
It's not like people are here complaining solely because we lost. At least, I don't feel that way. If nashville is going to beat us, I want it to be because they ****ing PLAYED HOCKEY and beat us because they are a better and more talented team. I don't want it to be because of what I saw last night, which is a bunch of horse**** NON-CALLS and late/cheap hits. That ****tard johansen's hit on Barrie absolutely had an impact on the game because until that point, we were taking the game to them. Think I'm wrong?

How many grade A quality scoring chances did nashville have before the cheap ryjo hit on Barrie where Bernier had to make a fantastic save? Zero?

Again, WHEN is it the Avs turn for our fans to say "wow, we really got away with a bunch of stuff tonight"? I watch the games very closely and I can honestly say that I saw ONE cross-checked and ONE trip that should have been called against the Avs last night that they let go and a whole bunch of stuff the other way for them...I didn't count them all but it's for sure in the teens.

That BS hit from hartman 2 seconds after Soderberg passed the puck was bush-league and was completely ignored by the refs. I think it's pathetic that nashville thinks they need to play this way to win. You would think it would be the other way around, where we're the team that needs to have their goalie/best players run by some AHL scrub to even stand a chance to win.

If that does end up happening in this series, we for sure won't win the cup but neither will they and they'll only have themselves to blame.

Call me biased or whiner, but I agree with everything you write here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This was a game the Avs couldn't afford to let slip away. The margin of error is so small in this series that they had to find a way to win... Nashville showed this young group exactly what playoff hockey is though... so win or loss, this is good for the team.

In a game as physical as it was last night... Z seemed awfully quiet in that area until right at the very end of the game. The Avs need to have him add that edge to his game in this series... he's really the only defender that can.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Was mildly unhappy with how some of the calls went but that happens in games. Not really a bad game especially for everyone who thought the Avs were trash and/or wouldn't make it. Rebuilding team looks pretty solid as a young group/unit with more guys still to grow and get better. If the Avs keep up the tempo and try to drive play this'll be fairly close.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Z tried to step up in the NZ a few times in the first and threw hits there but they weren’t of the major variety. Didn’t notice much after that. It’s a little harder unless he wants to chase them. Landy and Comeau seemed quiet physically up front too. That’s just not a major part of this teams game, and Bednar said as much Tuesday, and it sure showed last night.

Austin Watson always seems to score against this team.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
This struck me how most of our games against the Preds have gone and how I feel they will the rest of the series - the Avs will play them hard and keep pace but they don't quite have enough to overcome.

If Varly was in net I'd be more confident that we could steal a game or two but with Bernier I think the scoring needs to be there for the Avs to win and 2 goals won't cut it. If Rinne keeps playing like he did last night I have a tough time seeing the Avs getting a game out of this series but we need to see a game at home before all hope is lost.

Getting the MacKinnon line going and actually getting some pucks in the net would be a great way for them to stay competitive in this series.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Fell asleep while waiting for the game to start :( From the highlights it looked like Rinne saved them a beating.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yeah, sad to see that opportunity slip away. I don't have to the time to read the thread, but I thought we were the better team sans Rinne last night. Bernier let in a squeaker, Mack's "slash" was a ridiculous call to me considering everything else that wasn't called during the game and Rinne's a good f***ing goalie......that's the way I saw that game.

I was just really happy we showed up and played hockey, especially on the road. It's been a while and I am happy with the effort and how our team is trending. Of course I would have loved to get a win and make it a good series, but I'll take it.

Last edited:

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
Good game overall, Preds are simply a better team, however. We gotta accept that.

Johansen's and Hartman's late hits should have absolutely been called though. Can't complain about Nashville other than that but those 2 hits simply can't be ignored by neither the refs nor our players who should have stepped up when those hits happened.

MacKinnon and Bernier needed to step up in the third if we want to have a chance in this series.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Thought the top line was good. Also thought the Soderberg line was good. Girard and Zadorov were the best defensemen out there, Barrie was trash and NEEDS to be better if this team has any chance of winning games.

Bernier.... meh. 1st goal you can tell he 100% was not ready for. 2nd goal is a man alone in front, nothing you can do there. 3rd goal is just luck. 4th goal Forsberg wasn't going to be denied. 3 of 4 goals not on him, but that 1st goal... just watching it over and over again, he literally could have stood there and the puck would have hit him in the chest. He had no idea when the shot was coming or where it was going.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Didn't like Barberio's dump up the boards into traffic on their second goal at all. Why didn't he take it behind the net? Panic move?

If Bernier doesn't at least play Rinne to a draw the Avs have no shot. The Avs could use the little more size on D that EJ provides and a big physical forward that they don't have anywhere in the system at this point. It just would give them a little more balance. Right now they feel a little like they are bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Reactions: MacBradley

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

upload_2018-4-13_8-11-53.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad