Pre-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Final: New York Rangers vs. Los Angeles Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Big reason I'll be going for LA:

GnCHQyq.png

Montreal's powerplay was 26.3% in the playoffs going into the Rangers' series (compared to 17.2% in the regular season). Went 8.7% against the Rangers.

Cake or Death

Look at the save % of Quick and Crawford in the WCF series

USA Today made their predictions for game 7

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/game-7-predictions-nhl-blackhawks-kings

If the victor of game 7 sees their goalie post a save % of under .900 against Lundqvist,that series won't be a long series. Quick and Crawford have taken turns playing bad hockey.

The Kings had a 3 game losing streak in the first and second rounds. Lost the first 3 games to SJ. Lost games 3,4 and 5 against Anaheim. They are on a two game losing streak now.

Yep... both goalies have look like inconsistent steaming poo this round.

Cake or Death

GnCHQyq.png

Montreal's powerplay was 26.3% in the playoffs going into the Rangers' series (compared to 17.2% in the regular season). Went 8.7% against the Rangers.

Rangers did the same thing to Pitt. They were first overall in the regular season and I believe went like 1 of 20 against the Rangers

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
During the Pittsburgh series,Kenny Albert tweeted this about the Rangers PP

Last 3 30+ power play droughts in @NHL playoffs: '07 Ducks 0-36, '11 Bruins 0-30, '12 Kings 0-30. All 3 won Cup!

https://twitter.com/KennyAlbert/status/464102993894580225

The Rangers were down 2-1 to Pittsburgh when Kenny tweeted this.

AV said its big to have 3 straight days of practice this time of year. Richards said the Rangers have played a lot of hockey since March 1. Olympic break. The two days off will benefit them. Three days of practice.

The Hawks and Kings are in the same boat having played a ton of hockey since March 1. Chicago had ten players play in the Olympics. 6 players played in the Olympics for LA. 21 playoff games for LA. 19 playoff games for Chicago.

PK Subban and the Habs were sucking on fumes in game 6. Tokarski was the difference between that game being a blow out. AV said the Rangers played their best game of the playoffs in game 6 against the Habs.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
During the Pittsburgh series,Kenny Albert tweeted this about the Rangers PP

https://twitter.com/KennyAlbert/status/464102993894580225

The Rangers were down 2-1 to Pittsburgh when Kenny tweeted this.

AV said its big to have 3 straight days of practice this time of year. Richards said the Rangers have played a lot of hockey since March 1. Olympic break. The two days off will benefit them. Three days of practice.

The Hawks and Kings are in the same boat having played a ton of hockey since March 1. Chicago had ten players play in the Olympics. 6 players played in the Olympics for LA. 21 playoff games for LA. 19 playoff games for Chicago.

PK Subban and the Habs were sucking on fumes in game 6. Tokarski was the difference between that game being a blow out. AV said the Rangers played their best game of the playoffs in game 6 against the Habs.
The Rangers should purposely give them a PP goal early to ensure they don't reach 30 PPs without a goal.

Cake or Death

I think Quick may be the most overrated goalie in the league. SV% the last two seasons is 0.913. League average is 0.914.

Hard to disagree. He is letting in some awful goals. Price is on the brutally over-rated radar for me too. Since entering the league, I believe 14th in save pct among goalies who have played over 100 games; up and down seasons; 4 of 6 playoffs at .901 or lower, .909 on playoff career; 7 seasons not even one Vezina final nod. The Olympic story line is cute. But when a team is exceptional enough to lose a guy like Tavares and still dominate, my cat can play goal and win Gold for Canada.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Here are some stats to illustrate just how good the team was down the stretch. One of the best records in the league in the second half, with an outstanding goal differential of +41 in the last 40 games. Perhaps even more mind-blowing, a 93.1 percent PK in the last 23 games following the all-star break. That is unreal. Your 2013-14 NYR closed the season phenomenally and deserve to be here, no doubt about it.

Final 40 Regular Season Games

TEAM | W | L | OT | PTS | GF | GA | DIF
NYR|25|11|4|54|120|79|41
LAK|21|15|4|46|96|86|10
CHI|18|14|8|44|109|105|4

Post All-Star Break

TEAM | SV% | PP | PK
NYR|.932|12.9|93.1
LAK|.923|19.7|82.9
CHI|.901|11.9|86.4

Playoffs

TEAM | GPG | GAPG | 5v5 | PP | PK | LD1 | LD2 | PM/G
NYR|2.70|2.25|1.33|13.6|85.9|.818|1.000|10.0
LAK|3.40|2.80|1.12|26.2|82.7|.750|.889|13.1
CHI|3.00|2.78|1.11|19.2|84.1|.700|.750|8.8

Well done analysis, And very sensible to anyone who has been watching a lot of hockey over the past four months.

It's certainly to be expected that passionate fans of another team are not going to look this deep but I am amazed at the number of hockey writers and pundits (exhibit one; Keith Jones) who have no idea of these splits. The Rangers have a great chance to win. Remember, the team that most closely resembles this team is the 1994-95 New Jersey Devils who followed almost the same path during the regular season, had the approximate same mix of player types and were big underdogs in the Stanley Cup Finals. You may remember how that one turned out.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Rangers played better against the Hawks than they did against Los Angeles. Now the Rangers played the Kings in LA nine months ago and faced LA at the Garden in early December. That was a long time ago. They faced Chicago in early January and after the Olympic break. The Rangers controlled the play in both of the Hawks games. Quick is better than Crawford but Crawford has his moments where he looks great like he did against the Wild and then ***** the bed like he did earlier in the Kings series. Game 2. The Hawks and Kings are a push on D. Keith and Doughty are big time players. The Hawks dressed 7 D in game 6. The Hawks played 9-10 forwards in game 5. They really pushed their top players hard to force game 7. The Kings have better depth upfront. The Bruins lost Campbell to a broken leg in the Pittsburgh series and went from being a 4 line team to a 3 line team in the Cup finals. That hurt Boston against Chicago. The Hawks were a better team last season with Bolland and Frolik. The Kings scored 5 power play goals in the first 4 games of the Hawks series. LA has 6 PPGs in this series. Boston gave up 8 PPGs in the Montreal series. Montreal had 2 PPGs in the Rangers series. Frolik was a great PKer for the Hawks last season. The Rangers have been really good on the PK. LA is the bigger team. However,LA is playing their 21st playoff game this spring. Quick turn around. Media day is on Tuesday. Chicago had 10 players in the Olympics. I heard Pierre McGuire with Francesa when LA was leading 3-1 in the series and he felt the Hawks were on fumes. They were lucky to get out the Minnesota series. The short summer. Olympic break. Hard to repeat. The Hawks have won 2 straight to force game 7. Just play your game whichever team wins game 7 tonight.

This and and proudly take on the underdog role. Everything else doesn't matter.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

GnCHQyq.png

See how you just proved yourself that this PP stat is irrelevant against NYR PK?

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I think he showed it because the Chicago pp has stayed consistent from the regular season to the playoffs, while the LA pp has had a very big increase, and with the Rangers good pk they could hopefully get the LA number down closer to their regular season number.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
You said you wanted LA because statistically their PP is worse or got worse than Chicago. Then showed that Montreal and Pittsburgh awesome PP disappeared against our PK.

What do you think he's implying is going to happen to LA's PP, then? I think it's fairly obvious.

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think he showed it because the Chicago pp has stayed consistent from the regular season to the playoffs, while the LA pp has had a very big increase, and with the Rangers good pk they could hopefully get the LA number down closer to their regular season number.
Yeah. LA's powerplay, like Montreal's, is playing over its head.

It's not so much that the Rangers are going to negate their PPs, but LA's is itching to regress.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Vaporization

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...ifficult-watching-ex-jackets-in-playoffs.html

This Arace guy is the same guy who thought Columbus was getting McDonagh and every asset they wanted for Nash. Aaron Portzline and Arace thought Nash was a difference maker. Nash has been a passenger on the bus.

As much I hate the Devils,they lost the first games in the 2012 in OT. Bounce of the puck and its a different story.

Edmonton lost in seven games to Carolina.

Vaporized? we have a new term. Rangers will be vaporized by the West team's jedi swords. Good grief. :laugh:

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
It's going to be a crazy finish tonight.

We'll be playing the blackhawks or we'll be playing the kings and more importantly against gaborik :(

94wasagoodyear

Jan 19, 2014
It really is pick your poison with these two teams. I'd say I prefer Chicago because they have the weaker goalie. But, its tough eliminating the defending world champs.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I don't know. Just when I think one is weaker, the other one-ups them.

Crawford's mile high rebound or Quick's whatever the **** that last goal was. Each WC goalie trying to let in a worse goal to make the poor Rangers, who will lose in 2.5 games, feel better about the next couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad