Pre-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Final: New York Rangers vs. Los Angeles Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

Usually when the majority narrative is as confident and insulting as it is against a team, they become a cinderella story. Notables include Boston from '11 and NJ from '94.

Don't see how so many people can discount the Rangers chances in this series. Montreal was faster than both teams and the Rangers made their speed look pedestrian.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
Different sport, but how about the ravens? NO ONE gave em a chance, rallied behind ray lewis. Or back to the giants too

Cake or Death

I see how it is. :p:

So, who does everyone want to play? Chicago or LA?

I was originally wanting LA. I think Chicago's speed somewhat negates one of our major strengths and Chicago had an easier schedule than LA. But I don't think I can handle Kings fans throughout a series. I def won't be able to deal with them if LA beats us. Chicago please

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I was originally wanting LA. I think Chicago's speed somewhat negates one of our major strengths and Chicago had an easier schedule than LA. But I don't think I can handle Kings fans throughout a series. I def won't be able to deal with them if LA beats us. Chicago please

It's amazing how arrogant they are for a franchise that has had very little success until recently.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
IMO it doesnt matter which team we play they will both be tired. I dotn care how good they are The Kings have played more games than anyone this postseason which causes fatigue and the Blackhawks have also played many games plus their defense/goaltending is suspect.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
It's amazing how arrogant they are for a franchise that has had very little success until recently.

They're a bunch of smug *******s.

Whoever the Rangers end up playing will be in for a rude awakening. Here's hoping the players underestimate them as much as their fans are.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I think I'd like to face LA, Chicago are scary good 5on5, with LA their primary threat is the PP. So all we have to do is scratch Kreider and Pouliot and we win

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
I think I'd like to face LA, Chicago are scary good 5on5, with LA their primary threat is the PP. So all we have to do is scratch Kreider and Pouliot and we win

But without Kreider, how will we take out Quick? :sarcasm:

Cake or Death

Feels a lot like when I lived near DC. I could go see the Rangers there and have my pick of seats. When they got Ovechkin, new fans everywhere, most of whom were smug despite knowing almost zero about the game. I guess fans have to start somewhere tho. Still... Chicago please

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I suppose you are joking but why the heck would you scratch kreider when he has been one of our best offensive weapons since returing. Now Pouliot i understand because he has done nothing

Diddy Wah

Apr 19, 2014
I really like how difficult it is to pick the Rangers best skater(s) in the playoffs! I have zero problems being left out of "best line in the league"-discussions in favour of rolling 3 2nd lines and 1 GOAT 4th. McD might had been a standout hadn't he played injured, but as it stands right now I think the top 4 D are almost impossible to separate in terms of playoff performance (and Klein also had a real strong series vs the Habs). Mcd, Girardi and Staal have all had dominant games/series but also struggled at times, whereas Stralman has probably been our most consistent D.

Don't really have a preference in terms of opponent, I'm just glad that series went to 7 and am now hoping for OT!

Before game 6 I was slightly more comfortable seeing the Hawks advance (when having to choose between two seemingly evenly matched teams I usually prefer to play the one that's stronger on offense since I, still, have more faith in the Rangers ability to shut down a strong offense than in their ability to score on a tight defense) but the response by the Hawks after the Kings grabbed the lead in the third was scary impressive imo. I disagree that the Kings looked fatigued, I think they played a strong 3rd, and felt it was quite noticeable that the Hawks immediately found another gear after going behind (in a game that was already quite well-played).

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers played better against the Hawks than they did against Los Angeles. Now the Rangers played the Kings in LA nine months ago and faced LA at the Garden in early December. That was a long time ago. They faced Chicago in early January and after the Olympic break. The Rangers controlled the play in both of the Hawks games. Quick is better than Crawford but Crawford has his moments where he looks great like he did against the Wild and then ***** the bed like he did earlier in the Kings series. Game 2. The Hawks and Kings are a push on D. Keith and Doughty are big time players. The Hawks dressed 7 D in game 6. The Hawks played 9-10 forwards in game 5. They really pushed their top players hard to force game 7. The Kings have better depth upfront. The Bruins lost Campbell to a broken leg in the Pittsburgh series and went from being a 4 line team to a 3 line team in the Cup finals. That hurt Boston against Chicago. The Hawks were a better team last season with Bolland and Frolik. The Kings scored 5 power play goals in the first 4 games of the Hawks series. LA has 6 PPGs in this series. Boston gave up 8 PPGs in the Montreal series. Montreal had 2 PPGs in the Rangers series. Frolik was a great PKer for the Hawks last season. The Rangers have been really good on the PK. LA is the bigger team. However,LA is playing their 21st playoff game this spring. Quick turn around. Media day is on Tuesday. Chicago had 10 players in the Olympics. I heard Pierre McGuire with Francesa when LA was leading 3-1 in the series and he felt the Hawks were on fumes. They were lucky to get out the Minnesota series. The short summer. Olympic break. Hard to repeat. The Hawks have won 2 straight to force game 7. Just play your game whichever team wins game 7 tonight.

Cake or Death

Oddly enough, I am looking at stats right now and we have the best 5on5 numbers of any team left, 1.33 to Chi and LA at 1.12 and 1.11. I realize stats aren't everything, I just found it interesting since I'd just looked at it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Pick your poison is right. Not going to root for anything tonight other than 7 or 8 OTs ;)

Really can't believe the Rangers are in this position. Win 4 before you lose 4, and you're the Cup Champions. That's phenomenal.

My enjoyment of this moment is still only overshadowed by my disbelief.

Keys to the Rangers winning, regardless of opponent:

Four lines rolling.
Feet moving through the neutral zone.
Support through the neutral zone on rushes, specifically on the PP.
A good, effective PP.
PK and defensive coverages need to remain as stable as they have been.
Gotta steal game one or two on the road, duh.
Fourth line continues to win us games and shift momentum. They're doing a lot of what Boston was doing to us last year (or was that two years ago, now?) and it's a pleasure to watch from our end of the spectrum.
Nash, Richards, MSL to reach their true veteran form. Definitely looking more at Nash here.
Utilize the speed of Kreider and Hagelin effectively.
Pouliot needs to stop taking dumb penalties, and that line needs to continue its effectiveness.

No matter what, this is going to be the hardest opponent we've had of the post-season. It is of my opinion that neither of those goalies match up to Henrik Lundqvist. Especially Quick, who I find mighty overrated. He's so aggressive. If you shoot low on him, he'll kick out a rebound, and he'll be quite out of the net. Make the extra pass if it's the Kings and Quick.

This is going to be so much fun. I can't believe the Rangers are here.

WE WANT THE CUP

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
These two teams are beating the hell out of each other. This game will be over at 11pm tonight. If LA wins they have to fly home. SCF starts on Wednesday with media day on Tuesday. Hopefully this game goes multiple overtimes. How much practice and film time will either have to prep for the Rangers?

The Rangers have a real opportunity to go into Chicago or LA and steal game one.

Wolfy*

These two teams are beating the hell out of each other. This game will be over at 11pm tonight. If LA wins they have to fly home. SCF starts on Wednesday with media day on Tuesday. Hopefully this game goes multiple overtimes. How much practice and film time will either have to prep for the Rangers?

The Rangers have a real opportunity to go into Chicago or LA and steal game one.

Just like we did against the Habs when we crushed them 7-2 in their building :)

Habs did a huge mistake, thinking we would be a piece of cake. Don't think our next opponent will do that.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Toews/Kopitar will murder the Rangers possession wise imo. Thankfully, the Rangers have the depth to hopefully match well against the other lines.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Different sport, but how about the ravens? NO ONE gave em a chance, rallied behind ray lewis. Or back to the giants too

I think the '07 Giants are definitely the most relevant here! The biggest underdogs in the history of underdogs going against the perfect 18-0 powerhouse Patriots. They never really looked overwhelming but they had amazing defense and timely/clutch scoring. That's pretty much what the Rangers have done and need to continue to do.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
You had Tom Brady snicker about only scoring 17 points.

Yeah, I don't think hockey egos are as big as football egos, well at least not in the media. Looking back it was pretty dumb of Brady to laugh that off the way he did. Much like Bourque saying what he did about Hank. It doesn't always give the opposition more motivation than they began with but it makes you look like a tool when all is said and done. Brady and the Pats couldn't even get 17!

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Our opponent has one slight advantage in this regard though. Their scouts and strategists already know which team they will face if they advance, the Rangers do not. The extra rest is more valuable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad