GDT: Stanley Cup Champion vs other team | 8 PM MT

Choose Your Favorite Championship

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I don't know the particulars of what happened in Detroit, but the way that Stevie Y handled it, made me think there was an issue between the player and management. We all know how big of a deal character is for this organization. It could be as simple as that.
Too late to do anything about it now.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Too late to do anything about it now.
By the way, I see Vrana scored his 9th goal in 13 games with St. Louis. Think he might have helped the Avs a little with some secondary scoring? And he could have been picked up for virtually NOTHING! Nice job CMac!

Reactions: UncleRisto

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Whatever happens they are going to have a tough time that first round. The 2C issue is going to rear its ugly face when teams can exploit it in a 7 game series. Im also not pinning my hopes on a broken Landy who hasnt played hockey in half a year. No help is coming. We can only hope whoever we play that their good players get hurt lol
I think if Avs are healthy (big if) they can make it to at least the conference finals. My concern is as it has been all year, they might never be completely healthy rest of this season and playoffs

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think if Avs are healthy (big if) they can make it to at least the conference finals. My concern is as it has been all year, they might never be completely healthy rest of this season and playoffs
It's a vicious circle. A player gets injured and other players need to step up because a lack of depth, which leads to increasing ice-time to core players and a higher probability of getting injured themselves. This leads to other players rushing back from injury and are more prone to get reinjured or aren't fully healthy.

It was so crucial for CMac to shore up this team's depth at the TDL, and he decided to take a nap instead.

Reactions: the_fan

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
By the way, I see Vrana scored his 9th goal in 13 games with St. Louis. Think he might have helped the Avs a little with some secondary scoring? And he could have been picked up for virtually NOTHING! Nice job CMac!
Besides the risk of character issues, the problem was Vrana's contract for next year. It's too much to pay for a bottom 6 winger and we're already so tight against the cap that we'll basically need to bring in league minimum salaries almost across the board to fill in the spots. He doesn't replace any of the current top 6 wingers and we would need to pay to offload his contract in the off season just to get the team under the cap.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Rack that shit up and lets do that again for 7 games. Would enjoy the test. So many self inflicted goals and chances in this game they can clean up. Hopefully with some of their horses back and the Avs a little more rested. Maybe a less hot goalie on the other side too would be nice.

Felt like a game where we could really have used Landy or Lehyky’s net front presence battling hard to score a greasy goal too, because they didn't have enough traffic most of the game.

Definitely something going on with Cale's skates this one too because I barely noticed him moving out there. Didn't have that same separation speed either.

Looked like the games finally caught up to them in this one to me. 15 games in 25 days. Not once a game in that 25 days without more than one days rest and they've had 3 back to backs including last game.

Legs were there but the hands weren’t. Everyone played like someone chopped them off.

If they weren’t whiffing on shots they were missing the net. If they weren’t missing the net they were hitting the goalie square in the chest. If they weren’t hitting the chest they were hitting the post. And if they weren’t hitting the post, Gustavsson was making a great save.

Lets go again.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I think we get the gist — you think we should have traded for him?

Anyway, it’s pretty obvious the Avs are not going to make a deadline trade for a player under contract for next year unless they think they are a great fit here. Vrana definitely does not the fit the Avs risk profile, no matter how cheaply they might have been able to acquire him. If he was a FA after this season, maybe they would have looked at him. In a vacuum, sure what a missed opportunity- but the Avs have to operate in a complicated reality.

I feel like I see this same post over and over, and combined with whoever it is that constantly bemoans not getting Tolvanen, I feel like I’m caught in a loop. o_O

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's a vicious circle. A player gets injured and other players need to step up because a lack of depth, which leads to increasing ice-time to core players and a higher probability of getting injured themselves. This leads to other players rushing back from injury and are more prone to get reinjured or aren't fully healthy.

It was so crucial for CMac to shore up this team's depth at the TDL, and he decided to take a nap instead.
Agreed….

We can’t assume this team is suddenly gonna get healthy and stay healthy the way this season has gone with injuries. We all know 2C is the biggest need for the Avs, but we also know Sakic and CMac don’t like to trade for rentals when they have to give up a 1st or top prospects.

They did that with Kuemper giving up a 1st for him because they were very desperate to get a goalie, don’t think they wanted to do it again for a 2C when JTC has kinda produced at 2C level this year, but you’re right, the depth of this team isn’t nearly as good as last year, that’s why I think the only way they can make another deep run if all their top players stay healthy all playoffs but I have my doubts about that. And they do need Landeskog back for sure

Last edited:

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Besides the risk of character issues, the problem was Vrana's contract for next year. It's too much to pay for a bottom 6 winger and we're already so tight against the cap that we'll basically need to bring in league minimum salaries almost across the board to fill in the spots. He doesn't replace any of the current top 6 wingers and we would need to pay to offload his contract in the off season just to get the team under the cap.
Yet watch the Avs this offseason do financial gymnastics to overpay JTC for the next 5 yrs.

Reactions: The Moops

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I think we get the gist — you think we should have traded for him?

Anyway, it’s pretty obvious the Avs are not going to make a deadline trade for a player under contract for next year unless they think they are a great fit here. Vrana definitely does not the fit the Avs risk profile, no matter how cheaply they might have been able to acquire him. If he was a FA after this season, maybe they would have looked at him. In a vacuum, sure what a missed opportunity- but the Avs have to operate in a complicated reality.

I feel like I see this same post over and over, and combined with whoever it is that constantly bemoans not getting Tolvanen, I feel like I’m caught in a loop. o_O
This whole "analyzing a NHL team to death" is one big loop, is it not?

Last edited:

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Uhhhhh...what does Jakub Vrana have--something like 8 goals in 10 games for the Blues? And they got him for virtually nothing. Yet CMac gave up a 2nd round pick for Lars Eller. Someone pls. explain that to me.

Guys. Just stfu. Beating the f*** out of a dead horse. Let's just move on instead of stat whacking every game. It get's so tiring.

Reactions: The Moops

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I don't mind getting scored on, but dang those two mistakes are some of the most infuriating ways to get scored on. I also don't like Georgiev on either goal, he got suckered by the Wild's player to make that pass and he could've lined up much better on that backhander play.

You need to change your username, my friend, maybe to something like Byram?!
Seph, by the way, do you know how to change the username is HF boards? I clicked on my name but I did not see any option to change or edit username. And also don't forget to post some EDM :)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seph, by the way, do you know how to change the username is HF boards? I clicked on my name but I did not see any option to change or edit username. And also don't forget to post some EDM :)
For your username, I am not sure how you can change it, never really went to go try. I am going to quote @Bear of Bad News who might be able to help you with that.

I have been so behind in my EDM, I've been listening predominately to chillstep for the past handful of years since it's good for studying. I did find an amazing tune though a couple of months ago even if it is old, here it is...

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Send me a note and I’ll look into your situation when I’m not on my phone.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Pretty sure you just click on the menu and then on your profile and it should say change right by your username. I had to change mine after one of my childhood heroes referenced in the old one turned out to be a massive POS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad