Stan Bowman thread (mod warning post 965)

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Never seen such a love affair with a friggin GM of a lousy team. What’s it going to take, why do you love him so much? He has had a 10 year run, its time to make a change. It happens all over in sports, its the business. Very similar to the Q situation. When your team stinks for an extended period, especially after being champions, you make changes at the top, you change the coach. It doesn’t mean they are bad coaches or GM’s it just means the team needs fresh ideas and its gone stale.

I don't love Stan but think in total he has done a good job. Remember this cap hockey is new territory for teams.

Waive your wand and give us a GM name that you would want, anybody (available or not) and then tell us exactly how he returns the Hawks to the top.

Reactions: d rake and Pez68

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I don't love Stan but think in total he has done a good job. Remember this cap hockey is new territory for teams.

Waive your wand and give us a GM name that you would want, anybody (available or not) and then tell us exactly how he returns the Hawks to the top.
If you use that logic for making a change teams would be handing out lifetime contracts to GM’s. We are stuck and possibly sinking further. You do the necessary research and come up with potential candidates. Its the same as when every GM is replaced.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
They need to give Stan the green light to tear it down. Him and Kelley can get this team headed in the right direction.
again i question SB ability in trades........ esp his lack of knowing when there is a good deal on the table.

yeah i know some are going to point out those trades he has been good in........ well even a blind dog can sniff a good meal.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
They need to give Stan the green light to tear it down. Him and Kelley can get this team headed in the right direction.

The guy who acquires ex-Hawks annually is going to want to tear it down? Doubtful and it’s demeaning towards all the moves he’s made. Bowman will go down with the ship.

Last edited:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Now you are automatically assuming everything to date has happened because Bowman is getting his strings pulled. We have no idea what is happening upstairs.

And with all the NMC’s handed out how do you tear it down? I guess beg? Bowman’s moves have the roster where its at. Some moves were fine, others were not. After 3 years of this garbage and little to no light at the end of the tunnel its time to go, he does not deserve another 5-7 years overseeing a total rebuild. If its a blow up it needs to be a total blow up, starting with the GM.

Reactions: LDF

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

Stan should have been given the green light to do that 2 years ago. It was at that point that the hawks could have got more value in return for the likes of Keith, Toews, Kane, Crow etc. that is if they were willing to be moved

this is all speculation however that he in fact was told not to tear it down

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Bowman does not operate in a vacuum, he has bosses above him.
What a crock. Stan gets a pass cause McDLT sold his soul to get Scotty here. Until Scotty passes, McDLT is afraid to drop Stun.

Crosby's deal was Crosby's deal. It was indicative of what Crosby signed for, it had no bearing on Toews or Kane. Letting them walk at that time would have been totally unthinkable.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Bowman does not operate in a vacuum, he has bosses above him.
What a crock. Stan gets a pass cause McDLT sold his soul to get Scotty here. Until Scotty passes, McDLT is afraid to drop Stun. OOPS. on the post.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
If Bowman has marching orders to get this team relevant again for marketing reasons instead of hockey reasons then it’s totally ****ed and no GM/Coach change is going to amount to much.

D1EF5FEE-B671-40A9-B701-8DCF0D3AF9DA.jpeg

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
You don’t let them walk. You also don’t give them more than one of them at least is worth. That is part of the GM’s job is to ice a competitive team in a cap world. When the best player on the planet is paid $2MM less then that is on The GM. They had just won a Cup I believe and Stan gets a massive ***** for players right after winning aka Bickell contract mistake.

Also, he has brought back how many former players none of which have panned out? And he has done it over and over. I have not been against Stan per se but when he brought Shaw back I thought WTF?! We are going down this path AGAIN? The path that has not worked for the Hawks under Stan....ever?
This is revisionist history. Up until that point in their careers Toews was probably the better player. It wasn't until after those contracts came into effect Toews has fallen off and Kane took his game to the next level.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I too think Mark Kelley should be promoted.

just because he is a great scout does not mean that he would be a good GM, stands to reason that if there was a change at GM and the new one was to be found internally it would more likely be Norm McIvor (same home town of Thunder Bay as me...) as he is the Assistant GM.

Not that I think that is a good idea cause I would suggest a fresh set of eyes from outside the organization would be best.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Stan's drafting of d-men leaves a lot to be desired. I know there is a decent pipeline there but I'll believe someone works out when it actually happens. Stan hasn't drafted a second pairing level guy in 10 years off memory which is abysmal.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Stan's drafting of d-men leaves a lot to be desired. I know there is a decent pipeline there but I'll believe someone works out when it actually happens. Stan hasn't drafted a second pairing level guy in 10 years off memory which is abysmal.

Johns but he could not stay healthy. Joker is a top 4 D.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Agree, its been a joke. I guess what I meant in my original post is there needs to be an organizational shift to embracing a rebuild if they can't get things turned around. Do what the Rangers did and put out a letter to STHs. Anybody thats a pending UFA or will be after next year hits the trade block and go from there. I'd try to move Toews while someone might still pay a decent price and give the C to Kane. Extend Lehner. Flip Crawford to a playoff team that wants cup experience. Try to gather as many draft picks for Kelley to use in return

Reactions: Race Bannon and LDF

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
The PP's problem is execution, not coaching. I think there are half a dozen guys on this board that could draw up 2 or 3 successful schemes each. Doesn't mean squat if they players don't execute.

This is ice hockey not something complicated.
Putting out the same players who aren't "executing" is good coaching?

Lol wat?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Putting out the same players who aren't "executing" is good coaching?

Lol wat?

Let's see, in various threads you've given Q a pass because he didn't have the same players as JC, you've blasted Stan for not having the horses here yet somehow JC gets blasted for not using them???

So Q gets a pass
The players get a pass
Stan sucks
JC needs to be fired.

Alrighty then, somehow this doesn't line up for me.

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
Stan made 1 BIG mistake and that was the Seabrook deal. We could absorb Toews' falloff but 7 is just killing us on the ice and the balance sheet.

Keith has lived up to his contract as has Kane. Toews hasn't and Seabrook never would have been able to.
Or gazillion small cuts, making it death by thousand cuts.
1. Runblad - nothimg more to say
2. 2 seconds for Timmonen
3. Given away Anders Nielsen for free. Not getting anybody back for him.
4. Giving away Anti Raanta for peanuts
etc.
The other big mistakes have been hotly debated (Bickell, 10.5 mln twin contracts, Seabrook) but what strikes me he has not got a single person who is a value to the team, like McKinnon contract. Every team has some contracts with some value, even if not as good as McKinnon, on Hawks I would struggle to name a single contract with value except or Murphy which was not signed by him. Even his Anisimov contract he bragged so much about had to take dead cap money back in terms of plug player.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Let's see, in various threads you've given Q a pass because he didn't have the same players as JC, you've blasted Stan for not having the horses here yet somehow JC gets blasted for not using them???

So Q gets a pass
The players get a pass
Stan sucks
JC needs to be fired.

Alrighty then, somehow this doesn't line up for me.
Not once have I ever said "Stan sucks", quite the opposite.

Q didn't have the players at his disposal JC does. JC was gifted a defensive pairing this summer, a solid bottom sixer in Carpenter, and Shaw to go along with an all world goalie in Lehner.

Put Q back here and this teams playing for a Cup. JC was given a chance to succeed this year and is doing nothing with it.

Wait....it's about "execution", amirite? When is JC going to execute moves a head coach should? Bench his alternative captain? Lol

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Or gazillion small cuts, making it death by thousand cuts.
1. Runblad - nothimg more to say
2. 2 seconds for Timmonen
3. Given away Anders Nielsen for free. Not getting anybody back for him.
4. Giving away Anti Raanta for peanuts
etc.
The other big mistakes have been hotly debated (Bickell, 10.5 mln twin contracts, Seabrook) but what strikes me he has not got a single person who is a value to the team, like McKinnon contract. Every team has some contracts with some value, even if not as good as McKinnon, on Hawks I would struggle to name a single contract with value except or Murphy which was not signed by him. Even his Anisimov contract he bragged so much about had to take dead cap money back in terms of plug player.

Timmonen resulted in a cup. His impact was more on TT then his play but we won a cup with the move.

Nielsen was nothing. Raanta vs Darling and he picked Darling, it was the right choice.

Rundblad sucked but lets not act like it killed the team.

Seabrook was his big mistake.

Mentioning Kane and Toews's deals as mistakes is asinine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad