Speculation: Stammergeddon: Live Free or Sign Hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
You got to replace 36 goals from Stamkos still lead the team in goals

This is true but it also means other guys can step up since precious ES and PP time will be available. A guy like Drouin who has been out of the lineup most of the regular season will have a spot on the top-6 and PP. Boyle will stay on the PP as net presence, and others will a chance (#90, #81 for example) and get more offensive zone starts which will benefit their numbers. Otherwise somebody from outside the org will be added to complete our top-6.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You got to replace 36 goals from Stamkos still lead the team in goals

Stamkos had 22 goals and 41 points at ES. Namestnikov had 13 goals and 31 points at ES. Namestnikov probably played half the minutes Stamkos did on a regular basis but performed better in those minutes. Namestnikov is not going to be a 30-30 guy next year but given a defined top 6 role he can replace Stamkos' ES production.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Stamkos had 22 goals and 41 points at ES. Namestnikov had 13 goals and 31 points at ES. Namestnikov probably played half the minutes Stamkos did on a regular basis but performed better in those minutes. Namestnikov is not going to be a 30-30 guy next year but given a defined top 6 role he can replace Stamkos' ES production.

i get we can hash stats till blue in face but

stamkos got into the zone february fifth and stayed in that zone

those are his true numbers to me and where he will be in the future

which all of you can argue we can make up the goals yet that is expecting no injuries to the guys having to do this primarily and

kucherov to continue to grow and johnny and palat to get back to normal and drouin to be a goal scorer not an assist man

stats dont lie we lose stamkos we will not be a leading team without something else outside the organization

cause the guys that aint cutting it probably continue to do the same

now vladdy has to cover for filppula's failure and stamkos

great ideal

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

which all of you can argue we can make up the goals yet that is expecting no injuries to the guys having to do this primarily and

kucherov to continue to grow and johnny and palat to get back to normal and drouin to be a goal scorer not an assist man

stats dont lie we lose stamkos we will not be a leading team without something else outside the organization

great ideal

We have a lot of offensive pieces, and, if we were to lose Stamkos, we'd probably sign or trade for a 2C.

The power play has been improved without Stamkos.

We might not replace all 36 of his goals, but we can probably replace 20+.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
We have a lot of offensive pieces, and, if we were to lose Stamkos, we'd probably sign or trade for a 2C.

The power play has been improved without Stamkos.

We might not replace all 36 of his goals, but we can probably replace 20+.

basically we need another player if hes gone not one of this bunch tyjo could get more of course with full season palat really isnt a 20 guy killorn has proven not to be a 20 guy vladdy drouin might both be but remains to be seen

was my only point id like us to stay at the top of both food chains goals for and goals against:)

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

great ideal

Depends on what you believe Vladdy and Erne will be. No matter what you're taking a risk, but I think Vladdy can grow a bit into 91s role.

Other angles:
-Bishop movement
-Flipper/Cally/Carle movement
-Nesterov/Taormina not being retained
-Flip Killorn for rights to cheap D/F

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Depends on what you believe Vladdy and Erne will be. No matter what you're taking a risk, but I think Vladdy can grow a bit into 91s role.

Other angles:
-Bishop movement
-Flipper/Cally/Carle movement
-Nesterov/Taormina not being retained
-Flip Killorn for rights to cheap D/F

love vladdy disappointed in erne's season but similar things happened to others etc.. than good jumps

love richard hope he gets a shot and against paquette think hes ready to take him myself

also im very high still on peca and especially point than masin i think point and masin might fast track up the ladder and be ready with one year in ahl to take a spot and thats saying a lot but those two have games with what can research watch etc..

i love nesterov and gave up on sustr so counting on the guys to get nestea up to par to be a stable six guy for a little while if needed

think koekkoek could take garrisons spot right now hes that complete

and yes personally still think stamkos stays. All he has to do is look at ovie know how close we truly are and think what a rebuild will be like with the leafs and getting the d needed for a true shot at a cup

p.s. taking all the good this year with all the bad I am damned proud of these guys really impressive what they have done so far and think we got a legit chance at making it to take the cup.

you know anything on stamkos time frame at all? an inkling im leaning on him not being allowed to play was a month like 3 days ago from the surgery? so another 35 days maybe till can get on ice?

ive heard nothing of his time frame:(

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I really think we've got one more offer to throw at Stamkos. It kind of scares me, because I think it's lower risk to let him walk and move from there. To me, he's the most risky piece of the bunch because of his lack of a playoff resume. But I do think we're going to make an effort to retain him, even if I don't know that I agree with it.

Trust the Yzerplan, I guess.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
I really think we've got one more offer to throw at Stamkos. It kind of scares me, because I think it's lower risk to let him walk and move from there. To me, he's the most risky piece of the bunch because of his lack of a playoff resume. But I do think we're going to make an effort to retain him, even if I don't know that I agree with it.

Trust the Yzerplan, I guess.

I agree with this. And it scares me also. SY probably hates losing an asset without return, but 8 years of Stamkos up and down play will be hard to take. Especially because it will cause us to lose some good players. But it seems like the owner wants him and I don't know where he would find a better situation. If Kutch does the 2 year bridge deal like Kuznetov and Galchenyuk, then that changes everything. In two years, we will have Carle(hopefully this year), Flip and Callahan's contract gone. And probably Garrison. We have good D prospects. Hopefully in 2 years, Deangelo, KK, and maybe Masin are ready. It will be interesting to see the qualifying offer to Nesterov. I like him. He skates well. He's in the doghouse now, but I hope we have the Sustr-like patience with him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree with this. And it scares me also. SY probably hates losing an asset without return, but 8 years of Stamkos up and down play will be hard to take. Especially because it will cause us to lose some good players. But it seems like the owner wants him and I don't know where he would find a better situation. If Kutch does the 2 year bridge deal like Kuznetov and Galchenyuk, then that changes everything. In two years, we will have Carle(hopefully this year), Flip and Callahan's contract gone. And probably Garrison. We have good D prospects. Hopefully in 2 years, Deangelo, KK, and maybe Masin are ready. It will be interesting to see the qualifying offer to Nesterov. I like him. He skates well. He's in the doghouse now, but I hope we have the Sustr-like patience with him.

Kucherov's not doing a bridge deal. He's a legit superstar. It would be a mistake for everyone involved to sign him short-term.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
Kucherov's not doing a bridge deal. He's a legit superstar. It would be a mistake for everyone involved to sign him short-term.

He would be crazy to do it. But Johnson and Palat did(totally different situations). But if they are determined to keep Stamkos, then that might be the only way. I don't think SY would buyout Callahan this early into contract. The easy solution is to sign Kuch long term and let Stamkos walk. But I think they will explore all options to keep him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He would be crazy to do it. But Johnson and Palat did(totally different situations). But if they are determined to keep Stamkos, then that might be the only way. I don't think SY would buyout Callahan this early into contract. The easy solution is to sign Kuch long term and let Stamkos walk. But I think they will explore all options to keep him.

The Johnson/Palat situations were so different that they're not even comparables. They were signed coming off a great rookie year, no playoff success. Kucherov has two great years under his belt and has already eclipsed Stamkos as a playoff performer in every way possible (including goal-scoring). There's no way we sign him short term, nor would he go for it.

The one thing I think we can do is move Filppula somewhere around the draft. That, combined with a Carle buyout, would give us wiggle room. But it's hard to say if we'd even be able to move Filppula.

The next guy to move, unfortunately, would probably be Killorn, as an RFA. But at that point you have to wonder if we're sacrificing too much for Stamkos.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
The Johnson/Palat situations were so different that they're not even comparables. They were signed coming off a great rookie year, no playoff success. Kucherov has two great years under his belt and has already eclipsed Stamkos as a playoff performer in every way possible (including goal-scoring). There's no way we sign him short term, nor would he go for it.

The one thing I think we can do is move Filppula somewhere around the draft. That, combined with a Carle buyout, would give us wiggle room. But it's hard to say if we'd even be able to move Filppula.

The next guy to move, unfortunately, would probably be Killorn, as an RFA. But at that point you have to wonder if we're sacrificing too much for Stamkos.

Signing Stamkos would mean blowing up the core. The same core that has had much more playoff success than he has. With Stamkos' potential 10+ million, we could retain most of the rest of the core and even get a FA to replace some of Stamkos' lost production.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
If I'm Yzerman and I can get Kuch to sign for $7.5M x 8 I do it in a heartbeat. Same with Hedman except I'd be willing to go even higher. Locking up those two for the remainder of their primes at a known cost just makes everything else easier to deal with and barring injury both contracts will be bargains by the time they're through.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
If I'm Yzerman and I can get Kuch to sign for $7.5M x 8 I do it in a heartbeat. Same with Hedman except I'd be willing to go even higher. Locking up those two for the remainder of their primes at a known cost just makes everything else easier to deal with and barring injury both contracts will be bargains by the time they're through.

I don't see Kucherov wanting to sign for 8 years. At his age, 6 would be a good length for a contract. Should aim to be 26-28 by the time your first real contract ends to maximize your next one.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Barkov did 6 years for 5.95 so I'd assume kucherov gets close to that

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Barkov did 6 years for 5.95 so I'd assume kucherov gets close to that

Kucherov's getting closer to 7 than 6. Possibly over 7. As good as Barkov looks, he's still more potential than actual results. Kucherov is results city. His playoff goal-per-game ratio ranks right there with there with the best in the NHL. I'm not even sure how you can seriously compare him to Barkov.

Everyone on this board (I think) recognizes Kucherov as not only our best foward, but one of the best forwards in the league. And yet a lot of us, somehow, feel like we're going to wiggle our way out of paying for him for that. This guy's getting PAID. And he deserves it.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Kucherov's getting closer to 7 than 6. Possibly over 7. As good as Barkov looks, he's still more potential than actual results. Kucherov is results city. His playoff goal-per-game ratio ranks right there with there with the best in the NHL. I'm not even sure how you can seriously compare him to Barkov.

Everyone on this board (I think) recognizes Kucherov as not only our best foward, but one of the best forwards in the league. And yet a lot of us, somehow, feel like we're going to wiggle our way out of paying for him for that. This guy's getting PAID. And he deserves it.

Barkov was 59 points in 66 games 28 goals! Sure I like kucherov better but Barkov is not that far off from him

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I don't see Kucherov wanting to sign for 8 years. At his age, 6 would be a good length for a contract. Should aim to be 26-28 by the time your first real contract ends to maximize your next one.

Hence the "if I can". Obviously any long term deal is dependent on the player wanting to sign it; my point is that I would look to lock up Kuch and Hedman for as long as I can so long as the price is reasonable and not mess around with a bridge deal that could be more expensive in the end or even cost me the player in a few years. You play that game with secondary pieces, not your young star forward.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016

This. The last thing the Lightning want to do is insult Kuch with a lowball offer after the way he's performed, or sign him to a bridge deal and risk losing him in a few years. Lock him up now for as long a term as he'll agree to and that's one less thing for Yzerman to worry about in the next several years. There's always the chance that he gets hurt and declines, but it's the sort of risk that's worth taking for a player of that caliber.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

Barkov was 59 points in 66 games 28 goals! Sure I like kucherov better but Barkov is not that far off from him

This. The last thing the Lightning want to do is insult Kuch with a lowball offer after the way he's performed, or sign him to a bridge deal and risk losing him in a few years. Lock him up now for as long a term as he'll agree to and that's one less thing for Yzerman to worry about in the next several years. There's always the chance that he gets hurt and declines, but it's the sort of risk that's worth taking for a player of that caliber.

dhc todd answered that well actually ppg favors barkov so far its close and this playoff is helping clutch out but barkov is doing just fine:)

tjs look at entire kucherov story

i get everyone wants to think he costs 7 or higher but i dont see it he is happy to be here wants access to rink daily lol work out etc.. loves the team he came here to play here for stevie nothing has changed we lucked out

he might get 6.5 but hes not going to get 7 imho im really thinking 6x6 gets him inked first day he is offered

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

So he's worth as much as Kucherov at the end of last year's regular season. And before all the playoff success. Kucherov's done a hell of a lot more than have a single good season. He's had two good seasons and two GREAT playoff runs.

Barkov might well end up as good as Kucherov or even better, but at this moment in time, Kucherov has accomplished far, far more. And he'll be paid like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad