Speculation: Stammergeddon: Live Free or Sign Hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Putting it that way makes me curious about something. What if resigning Stamkos is contingent on Yzerman clearing cap space in late June? I mean, is it possible that both sides have agreed on this? Like maybe it's known by both sides that Yzerman is going to try to make something work, but Yzerman can't commit to a large offer until he gets a contract or two off the books.

We know we're buying out Carle (at least, I would be shocked if we don't), but maybe our offer to Stamkos depends entirely on whether or not Yzerman can move (I would assume) Filppula. And maybe this is why Yzerman's claiming he wants to get a deal done with Stamkos while effectively doing nothing on the Stamkos front.

Just more conspiracy theories, obviously, but it would make sense. We'd be able to throw at least an extra million at Stamkos with Flip off the books. Whether or not we'd want to is a whole other question.

I'd rather have Filpulla than Stamkos. Sure Stamkos is the far superior regular season player but Filpulla has been an important player this postseason and was only behind Stamkos by 4 points last year.

You also have someone signed for only two more years at 5mil a year rather than eight at who knows what. It will allow us to keep more of our other players and gives a window for Namestnikov, Point, Peca or Stephens to emerge as a 2C replacement. Sure we might struggle more in the regular season without Stamkos but we will struggle regardless if we're depleted of top end talent or depth by keeping Stamkos. Just don't see it feasible to keep Stamkos unless Callahan and his full 5.8 is off the books, that caphit could go right to Kucherov then we can maneuver some things to resign the others much easier.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'd rather have Filpulla than Stamkos. Sure Stamkos is the far superior regular season player but Filpulla has been an important player this postseason and was only behind Stamkos by 4 points last year.

You also have someone signed for only two more years at 5mil a year rather than eight at who knows what. It will allow us to keep more of our other players and gives a window for Namestnikov, Point, Peca or Stephens to emerge as a 2C replacement. Sure we might struggle more in the regular season without Stamkos but we will struggle regardless if we're depleted of top end talent or depth by keeping Stamkos. Just don't see it feasible to keep Stamkos unless Callahan and his full 5.8 is off the books, that caphit could go right to Kucherov then we can maneuver some things to resign the others much easier.

I think our team is still good enough to make the playoffs without Stamkos. Also the Drouin emergence really solidifies our first two lines.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think our team is still good enough to make the playoffs without Stamkos. Also the Drouin emergence really solidifies our first two lines.

I have no doubt we make it, we'll just be more a #3 or WC than a top seed. With our experience being on the road early shouldn't matter.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I don't disagree. But I also don't think it's complete lip service when Yzerman says the goal is to get Stamkos signed. But, while saying that, he's doing nothing to actually get it done. I can't help but wonder if Yzerman's planning to see what he can do with the cap before July 1. We've seen him do last minute salary shedding before.

Just wondering if maybe this is something he has up his sleeve.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Nope we will be a lottery team without stamkos

Very much disagree. Stamkos is good but he wasn't the reason we made the playoffs. Without Bishop our team is a lottery team. 36 goals isn't impossible to replace. I think our other guys would step up because if it wasn't Stamkos scoring those goals somebody else would have.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Very much disagree. Stamkos is good but he wasn't the reason we made the playoffs. Without Bishop our team is a lottery team. 36 goals isn't impossible to replace. I think our other guys would step up because if it wasn't Stamkos scoring those goals somebody else would have.
ya but kucherov and Stamkos but up the numbers really everyone else was just average

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
If we sign Stamkos, I am convinced that we will end up like the Caps. Might find success in the regular season but will be hampered by having a 'superstar' who chokes in the playoffs.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If we sign Stamkos, I am convinced that we will end up like the Caps. Might find success in the regular season but will be hampered by having a 'superstar' who chokes in the playoffs.

Yep I agree Ovie has failed in the playoffs again

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Ovechkin has been a pretty good playoff performer outside of an off year or two. That group as a whole though just can't seem to get over the hump.

I think they get too high on themselves from the regular season success. Playoffs is a different beast. One of the ways I think our Bolts have matured. They know how different the regular season is compared to the playoffs. Need to take your game up a notch in the playoffs. Not very much space given and have to take advantage of the few opportunities given to you.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
every team has their kryponite

this is a very close league with salary cap.... pitt is not destroying washington its close games etc.. very close

holtby is a let down this game for sure

ovie has been around a ppg guy in playoffs this year and other times its others you need to step up

carlson has been huge but with all the talent on paper washington should have beaten pittsburgh who has a questionable defense

they won a cup this way in past but had a much better defense

ill happily play either of these teams after watching how we handled the first two rounds

not just saying that I really like how we are responding and playing overall now getting contributions from everywhere:)

we learned last year how to play close tight games

i dont think we came back all year till like february? now if we go down its like only a matter of time to get back into it etc..

this is a very good team pitt can put up some points but if we play the way we can?

we got this:)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Ovechkin has 12 points in 12 games for the caps and factored in 2 out of the 3 caps goals tonight. Overall he has a higher GPG/PPG than Johnson/Kucherov through more games. He's really only had 2 bad runs, every other time he's been his teams best forward. Using him compared to Stamkos is a terrible example, especially since his caphit is reasonable and doesn't hamper the Caps.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think they get too high on themselves from the regular season success. Playoffs is a different beast. One of the ways I think our Bolts have matured. They know how different the regular season is compared to the playoffs. Need to take your game up a notch in the playoffs. Not very much space given and have to take advantage of the few opportunities given to you.

Let's not get all high and mighty, Caps lost to a good Penguins team, who are far better than Det or NYI. Wait till after the ECF and then talk, I mean it's not like this team has won a cup or anything enough to warrant fans to talk about "how it's done in the playoffs", the NYR before us made it to the finals and ECF and then out the first round this year.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

I just have confidence in our guys to step up when they need to. They seem to thrive in the underdog role.

Ovechkin has been a pretty good playoff performer outside of an off year or two. That group as a whole though just can't seem to get over the hump.

Ovechkin has 12 points in 12 games for the caps and factored in 2 out of the 3 caps goals tonight. Overall he has a higher GPG/PPG than Johnson/Kucherov through more games. He's really only had 2 bad runs, every other time he's been his teams best forward. Using him compared to Stamkos is a terrible example, especially since his caphit is reasonable and doesn't hamper the Caps.

Let's not get all high and mighty, Caps lost to a good Penguins team, who are far better than Det or NYI. Wait till after the ECF and then talk, I mean it's not like this team has won a cup or anything enough to warrant fans to talk about "how it's done in the playoffs", the NYR before us made it to the finals and ECF and then out the first round this year.

i know sky has a great mind but I hate when i see eye to eye with him which happens more than not but in this case hes dead right

reason caps lost is they played the dump and chase to a faster team who got the puck and moved it north south basically pitt took a page out of our book and won this series to me this is piss poor coaching on washingtons part very bad job of coaching

anyway start with top quote you are absolutely wrong i brought up the stats when it started how stamkos was leader cause he became the second line that worked and took us to playoffs of course bishop is part of that but without stamkos on feb 5th on we dont sniff the playoffs with our numbers

second quote our guys dont step up besides the usual suspects shockingly we did for two games we can go 40 now with no one of those bottom guys doing anything that is how inconsistent it has been overall all year and yes we had the injuries but the guys we need to step up? They aint cutting it and its been brought up all year and in the playoffs unfortunately

third quote ovie didnt choke if anything holtby lost this one on first and third goal he allowed he wasnt awful but those are stops a legit vezina goalie makes in that situation most times he had a game like ben did the first game of our last series bad timing for sure he has been much better the rest of the games that i watched imho

hockeyfan quote well its a new group will agree they didnt get over the hump
carlson ovie williams oshie all played well to me

the others leaving something to desire niskanen i expected to do a lot more vs former team all four centers were outplayed losing board battles etc.. total disappointment only time they did good was on power play

they need to change style probably a new coach to me that washington team had it all but they played wrong style in playoffs this year

to cups i think they played a higher style in playoffs they were hitting a ton etc.. just played wrong style and pitts was hottest team in nhl from jan on they are not a joke questionable defense though but they did a good job except that third period tonight lol

and again 100 percent agreement to sky 04:)

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods

Ovie has rarely been the reason of Caps bowing out, a single skater can only do so much in a team game.
But Ovies cap is something like 9.18, so its somewhat hampering.

Id personally put the blame on Holtby.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i know sky has a great mind but I hate when i see eye to eye with him which happens more than not but in this case hes dead right

reason caps lost is they played the dump and chase to a faster team who got the puck and moved it north south basically pitt took a page out of our book and won this series to me this is piss poor coaching on washingtons part very bad job of coaching

anyway start with top quote you are absolutely wrong i brought up the stats when it started how stamkos was leader cause he became the second line that worked and took us to playoffs of course bishop is part of that but without stamkos on feb 5th on we dont sniff the playoffs with our numbers

second quote our guys dont step up besides the usual suspects shockingly we did for two games we can go 40 now with no one of those bottom guys doing anything that is how inconsistent it has been overall all year and yes we had the injuries but the guys we need to step up? They aint cutting it and its been brought up all year and in the playoffs unfortunately

third quote ovie didnt choke if anything holtby lost this one on first and third goal he allowed he wasnt awful but those are stops a legit vezina goalie makes in that situation most times he had a game like ben did the first game of our last series bad timing for sure he has been much better the rest of the games that i watched imho

hockeyfan quote well its a new group will agree they didnt get over the hump
carlson ovie williams oshie all played well to me

the others leaving something to desire niskanen i expected to do a lot more vs former team all four centers were outplayed losing board battles etc.. total disappointment only time they did good was on power play

they need to change style probably a new coach to me that washington team had it all but they played wrong style in playoffs this year

to cups i think they played a higher style in playoffs they were hitting a ton etc.. just played wrong style and pitts was hottest team in nhl from jan on they are not a joke questionable defense though but they did a good job except that third period tonight lol

and again 100 percent agreement to sky 04:)

For Stamkos can you like this ? https://mobile.twitter.com/jack_lips2/status/730248853270761472/video/1

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Ovie has rarely been the reason of Caps bowing out, a single skater can only do so much in a team game.
But Ovies cap is something like 9.18, so its somewhat hampering.

Id personally put the blame on Holtby.

Ovechkin also had like 7 points in 6 games this series, if Stamkos did that in a series and we lost the majority of the fanbase wouldn't place any blame on him, losing a series while posting over PPG? That's respectable, losing a cup final posting 1 point in 6 games? Yeah you'll be looking at criticism.

Agreed on Holtby, giving up 3 goals before half the game is over is horrible, but then again his individual stats didn't indicate that he was a gamebreaking goalie anyways.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Ovechkin also had like 7 points in 6 games this series, if Stamkos did that in a series and we lost the majority of the fanbase wouldn't place any blame on him, losing a series while posting over PPG? That's respectable, losing a cup final posting 1 point in 6 games? Yeah you'll be looking at criticism.

Agreed on Holtby, giving up 3 goals before half the game is over is horrible, but then again his individual stats didn't indicate that he was a gamebreaking goalie anyways.

Completely agree.
Holtby is so hilariously overrated that its sad.
Especially since Bishop wont get any hardware for dragging our lethargic ***** to the POs, while Holtby enjoys the team in front of him.

'X is a proven winner' is the worst argument on any sport ever, when used to evaluate invidual players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad