Speculation: Stammergeddon: Live Free or Sign Hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Question for the Lightning board as posed by a non-Bolts fan on the main board:

Is Stamkos a top 3 player on the Lightning ? If not, where do you rank him ?

Definitely not top 3. 4th at best, maybe 5th. A lot depends on how much of TyJo's early season issues were injury based. Right now, he's playing at a higher level than Stamkos. Did he simply heat up, or is this the real TyJo whereas earlier we were watching an injured TyJo?

To me, there's a big gap between Kucherov and Stamkos, and an even bigger gap between Hedman and Stamkos. I put Palat above him pretty easily too, despite the numbers. And that's not even counting Bish.

JS91

May 14, 2014
I'm not sure I got that statement right. Does it mean that he won't be trading Stamkos at all this season or just that he won't be trading him before the 29th of February, as in Stamkos can still be traded during the deadline? Because if it's the former I gotta say I'm pretty concerned. Stamkos isn't even first on his team in goals or points which should be his forte and he turned down 8,5 a year which means that we will either lose him for nothing or pay him too much. If it's the latter then it's all good because it means that if we can't get Stamkos to accept a reasonable contract before the deadline, they might still move him during it.

But yeah, what does the statement exactly mean?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm not sure I got that statement right. Does it mean that he won't be trading Stamkos at all this season or just that he won't be trading him before the 29th of February, as in Stamkos can still be traded during the deadline? Because if it's the former I gotta say I'm pretty concerned. Stamkos isn't even first on his team in goals or points which should be his forte and he turned down 8,5 a year which means that we will either lose him for nothing or pay him too much. If it's the latter then it's all good because it means that if we can't get Stamkos to accept a reasonable contract before the deadline, they might still move him during it.

It means Stamkos plays out the year and become a UFA on July 1. And he should. good for him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Losing him for nothing is only a catastrophe if we don't make the playoffs.

If we make the playoffs, it would be hard to get equal value for him, since any team trading him would also be putting themselves in a position to lose him for nothing. The only way a deal was ever going to work was some sort of unprecedented sign&trade. It's an "own rental" situation. But, to me, the idea that Yzerman is closing the door altogether (which he never does) is a signal that he believes he's going to get a deal done.

TheDentist

Jan 5, 2011

I don't understand why there has been so many questions like this (In the main board as well). A deadline is a fixed point in time, not an entire day. The NHL trade deadline is officially February 29th at 3pm EST. Any time before that is considered prior to deadline. (even 2:59pm) There is really no hidden meaning behind this statement.

Yzerman wants the focus back on the play on the ice and this is a way to minimize the current distractions. Stamkos will be wearing a Bolts sweater until at minimum the end of the season, beyond that, it's anybodies guess.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Losing him for nothing is only a catastrophe if we don't make the playoffs.

If we make the playoffs, it would be hard to get equal value for him, since any team trading him would also be putting themselves in a position to lose him for nothing. The only way a deal was ever going to work was some sort of unprecedented sign&trade. It's an "own rental" situation. But, to me, the idea that Yzerman is closing the door altogether (which he never does) is a signal that he believes he's going to get a deal done.

i think he likes it here with the tax thing and light media involvement we offer close enough money wise that to go anywhere else even for the bigger contract doubt it puts him in any situation legitimently better than what we offer overall

now with all that said i want to keep bishop vladdy kucherov palat johnson hedman etc.. so if is close to 10 im borderline in how i feel so if he goes elsewhere even at nothing for us im ok with that

i want to compete i hope he makes the right decision and as tyler johnson said he is our captain he is our guy he proves it doesnt force us to lose the guys who matter and accepts what we can offer to keep the train moving forward full steam ahead:)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tbo.com/sports/lightning/stamkos-glad-to-put-contract-questions-aside-20160216/
“This was a decision by both parties that we thought was the best route and it’s something that I wanted,’’ Stamkos said after Tuesday’s morning skate. “Obviously looking forward to not having to deal with all the questions for the remainder of the season and just focus on hockey. That’s the goal is to do my best to help our team win.’’
The Lightning captain said the contract situation has not been a distraction, but keeping his focus will be easier for the rest of the season.

“I wouldn’t say it’s hard to keep my focus. It’s something that you have to deal with as a professional,’’ Stamkos said. “I think I’ve tried to do the best job I’ve been able to do in that regard. That’s all I can ask myself for is to come to this rink every day like I’ve been trying to do and prepare myself to help our team win. Obviously, I feel like I have more to give. Now, maybe this helps, just coming to the rink and focusing on my game and what I have to do to help this team continue their playoff push.”
“The attention of the media is going to go down, which is nice,’’ Callahan said. “That’s the biggest thing, because as it got closer for me that’s when everything got amped up, especially in New York and it kept growing and growing. So hopefully that puts a halt to that and he can focus more on hockey and not have to answer questions after every game and practice about it.’’
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/stamkos-hopes-yzerman-statement-lightens-the-load/2265551
"It's been a tough year in that regard to deal with that stuff," Stamkos said. "So hopefully this lightens the load a little bit. I've said all along from training camp that I wanted to be here and I want to win a championship here."
The Lightning has maintained Stamkos' contract saga has not been a distraction, but players were still happy to here the captain will remain with the team at least through the end of the season.

"We never really thought anything differently," center Tyler Johnson said. "To us, he's part of our group. He's our captain. He's our guy. We don't listen to the media. You guys make everything crazy. So we stay away from that as much as possible.

"It's exciting that we know we've got this group, don't know what's going to happen anywhere else, but we have a lot of confidence in this group. We took it pretty far last year, and hopefully we take it one step further."

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
ummm there was the buffalo draft thing but that was not last season and i never heard anything so ummm i am doubting validity here

friedman is a major insider so he kept a year long secret?? come on man

anyway bolt prospect asked on the buff thing see if he ever answers

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
ummm there was the buffalo draft thing but that was not last season and i never heard anything so ummm i am doubting validity here

"Last year" as in June, 2015, was the way I took it. So yeah, I think he's talking about Buffalo.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

No heard that in the summer they tried to trade him for the 2nd pick in the draft if I recall right

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah. That explains it. I pulled it up. Maybe Stammer just heard the rumor we all did is all he's saying. I don't know.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He looked pretty good tonight, really. Was jumping into plays, crashing around a bit, had some dangerous chances. No complaints about Stamkos's night from me.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He looked pretty good tonight, really. Was jumping into plays, crashing around a bit, had some dangerous chances. No complaints about Stamkos's night from me.

Typical first game with new linemates.

Matthew Carle

Nov 4, 2014
Finland
Question for the Lightning board as posed by a non-Bolts fan on the main board:

Is Stamkos a top 3 player on the Lightning ? If not, where do you rank him ?

Top 3? No way. Bishop, Hedman, Kucherov.

I'd put Palat 4th and then TJ or Stammer. So top 5-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad