Speculation: Stammergeddon: Live Free or Sign Hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Means he wants to sign in Tampa if he wanted to leave he would list 3 or 4 teams for yzerman to deal him to so he can sign for 8 years instead of 7.

I think he wants to be here. He has been here for a while and has seen how far the team has gone. I think he feels like he deserves to be here for the good days. He was here for some bad ones.

GollyG

Apr 4, 2015
In a Storm Cloud
I just wish I knew if he really is/was planning to sign here. I just want to know, has the quality of his play gone down b/c it actually has OR is he 'coasting' and playing extra cautious so as not to get injured?

tumblr_m6gi5pN0yL1r4k69mo1_r1_400.gif

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I think he wants to be here. He has been here for a while and has seen how far the team has gone. I think he feels like he deserves to be here for the good days. He was here for some bad ones.

Very true, but shouldn't he then be even more willig to take less to help Yzerman build a contender that he can be a part of? And I don't blame him for wanting paid, just wondering where he stands on the matter.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

Makes me think the negotiations are progressing. If it seemed like Stamkos wasn't going to stay I'd expect Yzerman to at least ask if he'd be open to moving. Plus announcing this early that he's not being moved wasn't necessary so there had to be a reason.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
You all are neglecting a major factor: Fan base and future fan base

I remember when my White Sox were in the playoff race (maybe 3-4 games out?) at the deadline and dealt major pieces for the future at the deadline. The fan base was pissed for years. You can't deal your captain and star (to the general population he is our star... most fans aren't us and watch nearly every game) at the deadline when your team has been making a run and looks in position to make a deep playoff run

Do I think he signs? Eh... still going to go 40/60 he stays or goes

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
Very true, but shouldn't he then be even more willig to take less to help Yzerman build a contender that he can be a part of? And I don't blame him for wanting paid, just wondering where he stands on the matter.

Put yourself in his position. Millions on the table. I know it's sick.... but really :shakehead

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Still Schrodinger's Cat; so his status is re-signed and not signed. Only with a signed contract will you know.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
The last week of June Meehan will actually be able to talk numbers with other teams. If the gap between those numbers and Yzerman's best offer is less than $2 million dollars AAV, Stamkos will re-sign.
Yzerman's statement says he thinks his best offer will be competitive enough that this gets done.

As much as I think money is the main hang up in stalling negotiations. I don't think it is the most important part of the decision to Stamkos nor Yzerman (though it certainly is for Meehan). If he signs anywhere else for $10 million or less AAV I will be shocked. The team's situation and success and his role in it should make it tougher for him to leave. How much that is worth in dollars remains to be seen.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The last week of June Meehan will actually be able to talk numbers with other teams. If the gap between those numbers and Yzerman's best offer is less than $2 million dollars AAV, Stamkos will re-sign.
Yzerman's statement says he thinks his best offer will be competitive enough that this gets done.

As much as I think money is the main hang up in stalling negotiations. I don't think it is the most important part of the decision to Stamkos nor Yzerman (though it certainly is for Meehan). If he signs anywhere else for $10 million or less AAV I will be shocked. The team's situation and success and his role in it should make it tougher for him to leave. How much that is worth in dollars remains to be seen.
I don't know I feel he signs before the deadline because after that really yzerman has no leverage. Yzerman is not a type of guy that takes gambles! I think he thinks this deal is close enough otherwise why make this statement two weeks before the deadline ? He still had more time.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
I don't know I feel he signs before the deadline because after that really yzerman has no leverage. Yzerman is not a type of guy that takes gambles! I think he thinks this deal is close enough otherwise why make this statement two weeks before the deadline ? He still had more time.

Yzerman took the gamble last July. His leverage existed prior to the NMC kicking in. He has maintained all along that he wants to retain Stamkos and thinks he can get it done. He hasn't seemed at all concerned about when it gets done nor what anybody else has to say about it on the way.
Stamkos similarly seems sincere about wanting to stay and unconcerned about the things he pays an agent to worry about.
Meehan holds the leverage in negotiations now and seems intent on at least getting a glimpse of the true market before allowing Stamkos to re-sign. I think Yzerman would be fine with that if he believes his best offer will be competitive. The statement today says he has that confidence.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yzerman took the gamble last July. His leverage existed prior to the NMC kicking in. He has maintained all along that he wants to retain Stamkos and thinks he can get it done. He hasn't seemed at all concerned about when it gets done nor what anybody else has to say about it on the way.
Stamkos similarly seems sincere about wanting to stay and unconcerned about the things he pays an agent to worry about.
Meehan holds the leverage in negotiations now and seems intent on at least getting a glimpse of the true market before allowing Stamkos to re-sign. I think Yzerman would be fine with that if he believes his best offer will be competitive. The statement today says he has that confidence.

What does he get if he gets injuried again before July ? That's also a gamble by stamkos as well ?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
What does he get if he gets injuried again before July ? That's also a gamble by stamkos as well ?

Absolutely it is. Possible why Stamkos hasn't gone to the net as much as you saw him do it in the past. I think we see a little bit different player when he signs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Means he wants to sign in Tampa if he wanted to leave he would list 3 or 4 teams for yzerman to deal him to so he can sign for 8 years instead of 7.

What does it matter?

Why sign for 8 years at 10.5m~ to a contender who's likely cap crunched when you can just sign 7 years at 12m in the market, same amount of money over less term.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
What does it matter?

Why sign for 8 years at 10.5m~ to a contender who's likely cap crunched when you can just sign 7 years at 12m in the market, same amount of money over less term.

Call me crazy but I don't think he gets offered that much on the open market. Not from a team he would be interested in playing for.

I think he will get these offers and his agent will use these offers as a way to try to get TB to increase it's offer. But I don't see Yzerman budging.

At that point it will be Stamkos decision if he wants to stay here or go somewhere else with the money being pretty similar across the board.

I think in the end he chooses to stay here. I think he wants to win a cup here. I think that he thinks this is his best place to do it.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
felt we would hear something solid by thursday which we have steven said would know what need to know by the tdl and now we do whether like it or not

is 12 available imho yes by the teams that would make sense? maybe anaheim but really no one else next best choice is probably buffalo

more concerned moving forward right now on drouin and carle situations

why play him whatsoever when playing soooo badly unless trying to off him?

i believe weve offered a more than fair deal for stamkos i think the numbers need to be worked out when gets what etc... signing bonus etc.. but the deal is primarily acceptable and very fair close to 10 for 8 years

i think stamkos backed off the deal to give time and thought to it not so much a negotiation ploy as to be proffessional do his own due diligence to his own satisfaction before signing the line which i think imho he deserves that time to feel good about it

i think he signs soon honestly not dragged out till july

some people will not be happy think he is not worth what was offered but to me is fair i do not see us moving up if is problems will be in the nmc range of things more than money and what we offered him

he is taking his time i personally think that is just smart over him being greedy or anything bad it is 8 years of his life:)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
felt we would hear something solid by thursday which we have steven said would know what need to know by the tdl and now we do whether like it or not

is 12 available imho yes by the teams that would make sense? maybe anaheim but really no one else next best choice is probably buffalo

more concerned moving forward right now on drouin and carle situations

why play him whatsoever when playing soooo badly unless trying to off him?

i believe weve offered a more than fair deal for stamkos i think the numbers need to be worked out when gets what etc... signing bonus etc.. but the deal is primarily acceptable and very fair close to 10 for 8 years

i think stamkos backed off the deal to give time and thought to it not so much a negotiation ploy as to be proffessional do his own due diligence to his own satisfaction before signing the line which i think imho he deserves that time to feel good about it

i think he signs soon honestly not dragged out till july

some people will not be happy think he is not worth what was offered but to me is fair i do not see us moving up if is problems will be in the nmc range of things more than money and what we offered him

he is taking his time i personally think that is just smart over him being greedy or anything bad it is 8 years of his life:)
Who said it was done ? Or worked out ? But lol really how does this end 9.7 for 8 or 10.5 for 8 how far will yzerman truly go to sign stamkos ? Or does stamkos surprise everyone ? 9.8 for 5 years ? Then check FA out again in 5 years ? Brad Richards did it better then vinny did! Signed a 5 year deal with Tampa for 7.8 remember no state tax state Florida! Got traded to Dallas in that deal still paid no state taxes in Texas for a few years. Then took that massive contract from the Rangers! At age 31 which if stamkos went 5 years he would be that age again at FA. Richards bought out by New York still gets paid by them oh by the way picked up a Stanley cup from the Blackhawks last season. Then gets another one year deal from Detroit. While vinny was stuck not playing hockey till getting traded to la.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Who said it was done ? Or worked out ? But lol really how does this end 9.7 for 8 or 10.5 for 8 how far will yzerman truly go to sign stamkos ? Or does stamkos surprise everyone ? 9.8 for 5 years ? Then check FA out again in 5 years ? Brad Richards did it better then vinny did! Signed a 5 year deal with Tampa for 7.8 remember no state tax state Florida! Got traded to Dallas in that deal still paid no state taxes in Texas for a few years. Then took that massive contract from the Rangers! At age 31 which if stamkos went 5 years he would be that age again at FA. Richards bought out by New York still gets paid by them oh by the way picked up a Stanley cup from the Blackhawks last season. Then gets another one year deal from Detroit. While vinny was stuck not playing hockey till getting traded to la.

why do you ask questions when you know the answers? or you just want to create problems?

i think yzerman gave him the 8 year offer at just lower than 10 and that he will accept this offer

i do not think we will change or go up on that offer

there could be signing bonus issues there could be nmc issues or that type

i do not think he will sign anything but what i have just said or that we will give him more

he is just taking his time (if my timeframes were correct which i believe they were) him taking a step back a week or so ago and waiting a couple of weeks to sign his next 8 years away is not a huge amount of time

i get your thoughts and you know my thoughts

offered fair deal just sign the dammed thing but but but
you were the one pointing out the last deal he took his time too that might just be who he is lol

i have no guarantees but fully believe this gets done we move on have felt that whole time

i was scared totally scared about what i thought was damage control i was scared he said no way this is not close to what we demand etc.. yet listening to him meehan yzerman other lightning guys i felt after that initial ohhhhhhhhhhhh shoot swear word here lol

after that still that things seemed ok steven is stand up guy when he talked after meehan and i sat down and thought of what he said how he relayed it i felt he was going to sign to the deal just he was going to do it when he was good and ready more than he wanted out and i believed him totally believed him we would know soon this time frame if he truly wanted out

so im happy we are doing all we can its up to him to take a fair deal that we can live with and keep everything going

and if in time he says no walks away we lose him? i think everyone is also ok with that over going any higher to keep him then 10 million that is a major investment and if we go over ten we all know this will make us lose pieces we do not really want to lose

i hope stevie sticks to his guns for the organization and steven does the right thing

i feel good about it honestly

that first day the damage control?? yep totally mad upset and scared

last few days what ive seen feels good like yep this is tough and hard but gonna get worked out:)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Makes me think the negotiations are progressing. If it seemed like Stamkos wasn't going to stay I'd expect Yzerman to at least ask if he'd be open to moving. Plus announcing this early that he's not being moved wasn't necessary so there had to be a reason.

Yeah, I would have expected Yzerman to say he would "keep all options on the table," or, do "whatever might improve the Tampa Bay Lightning," or any of the other canned answers. To me, this is sort of a message to Stamkos that Yzerman wants him here.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Question for the Lightning board as posed by a non-Bolts fan on the main board:

Is Stamkos a top 3 player on the Lightning ? If not, where do you rank him ?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

think you had it right so said nothing
not sure you said 3rd or fourth but ya

hedman kucherov bishop is good tyjo is almost back honestly and hes gonna pass him palat is more important overall to us but will not be a scoresheet demon so some might say since stamkos will outscore palat that stamkos is more important

to me palat is most important piece of the team his skill set is soo dependable reliable etc..

kucherov is closer to him on defense but still has work or going into boards stealing pucks etc..

palat is just my type of player so is probably five or six more important

but if you take this year for sure hedman and kucherov and id add bish

Victhor Ollesson

Dec 30, 2014
Florida

Personally (and I posted this opinion on the main board thread), I feel it is:
1. Hedman
2. Kucherov/Palat
3. Kucherov/Palat
4. Stamkos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad