Stamkos to Toronto: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I for one am EXTREMELY concerned about what visiting fans think about me.

Please accept me, please!!!

I agree. Lmao, Omg I look desperate ;'( Tampa knows if he leaves it will be for the leafs, I doubt he goes to the "highest bidder" like some players would

LeafsFIO*

Opening Night is on October 8th for Tampa Bay. Today is July 27th. lol.. I, like some others ITT, am shocked this has reached part 2. Surprised it wasn't locked. It makes us look ridiculous and desperate to visiting fans.

Yeah we look really stupid in the eyes of Montreal fans who cheered Lecavailer everytime he came to town in 2009, Winnipeg fans who had an almost-as-lengthy thread about Toews coming home, and Ottawa fans who think they have the money to sign, well, anybody as a free agent.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Opening Night is on October 8th for Tampa Bay. Today is July 27th. lol.. I, like some others ITT, am shocked this has reached part 2. Surprised it wasn't locked. It makes us look ridiculous and desperate to visiting fans.

you are desperate to all other fans lol

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Are you seriously saying that Stamkos is as one dimensional as Kessel? If you are, then Tyler Johnson disagrees with you:

Tyler Johnson said despite Stamkos' reputation as a goal-scorer he is a complete player who works hard on both ends of the ice.

"Everyone knows Stamkos is a goal-scorer, he's one of the best in the world at it," Johnson said. "But he plays the game right, he plays the defensive game, he plays in all situations and he'll play on the penalty kills. You don't expect that from a lot of goal scorers, but he just plays the game hard and plays it the right way."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=743205

Not that I disagree or anything, but honestly what do you expect him to say about his captain :dunno:

The insecurity is strong with this one.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The thing is u never heard anyone said about Kessel being more than a scorer, all you hear is he is paid to score....
Now I am not saying Stamkos is a Toews on the other end since I haven't watch as many TB games as I did with the Leafs over the past yrs, but Stamkos is a more rounded player than Kessel and he is also better than Kessel in scoring.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Shanahan will recruit him to come home to Toronto next summer with Lou's blessing to continue the hybrid rebuild he has started this summer.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nope! The betting here is that Tampa will reluctantly cave long before July 1, 2016.

I don't think anyone believes Tampa won't pay him, it's more that a contract requires TWO signatures that keeps the idea alive.

Probably has more to do with your own insecurity.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nope! The betting here is that Tampa will reluctantly cave long before July 1, 2016.

It will depend on how TB plays this year. I think its reasonable to see them fall back this season after the great season they had last year. I thought they did well to overachieve.

TB will want to sign him. The question is for Stamkos, are there better places to play next year? He's a UFA at age 26 in July.

If he can play on a defensive team(5th best last year) and put up 74 points with a 3rd liner in Detroit .557 career PPG player in Filppula, and a career high 41 point, .513PPG winger in Killorn. What can he do with better linemates?

He may want to sign elsewhere. He's got a lot of options. One year deal to win a cup, then sign with his hometown team next year, or perhaps Shanny can do what he does best. Sell him on Toronto next year as he did with Babcock and Lou.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
From the things I've heard from people close to him, I'd be surprised if he doesn't sign here in Toronto. If any Ontario boy superstar will come home to play in Toronto, it'll be Stamkos.

I'm willing to bet that chances increased after bringing in Babcock and Lou Lam. Everyone across the league can see that Toronto is now building the right way with the best people in the business.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Not that I disagree or anything, but honestly what do you expect him to say about his captain :dunno:

A valid point but still, who is better positioned to evaluate him - a teammate or a random poster here with absolutely no NHL experience? Assuming they could afford him there isn't a GM in the NHL who wouldn't take Stamkos on their team.

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004
From the things I've heard from people close to him, I'd be surprised if he doesn't sign here in Toronto. If any Ontario boy superstar will come home to play in Toronto, it'll be Stamkos.

I'm willing to bet that chances increased after bringing in Babcock and Lou Lam. Everyone across the league can see that Toronto is now building the right way with the best people in the business.

If they are building the right way, and we all hope they are and continue to do so, then, as someone else previously mentioned while on this topic, they should probably be thinking a couple of years beyond 2016 if they hope to snag a talented Ontario boy!!!!!!! #Tavares

If they want to chase game changing free agents, would the team not be in more ready shape to receive Taveres in 2018 than Stamkos in 2016? Don't know? Just asking? :dunno::dunno:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
A valid point but still, who is better positioned to evaluate him - a teammate or a random poster here with absolutely no NHL experience? Assuming they could afford him there isn't a GM in the NHL who wouldn't take Stamkos on their team.

It doesn't matter how qualified a team-mate is if you're not going to get an honest answer from him.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If they are building the right way, and we all hope they are and continue to do so, then, as someone else previously mentioned while on this topic, they should probably be thinking a couple of years beyond 2016 if they hope to snag a talented Ontario boy!!!!!!! #Tavares

If they want to chase game changing free agents, would the team not be in more ready shape to receive Taveres in 2018 than Stamkos in 2016? Don't know? Just asking? :dunno::dunno:

There is danger in passing up on an elite talent that is available for the hope that the next elite talent may be available.

You could easily end up with neither.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There is danger in passing up on an elite talent that is available for the hope that the next elite talent may be available.

You could easily end up with neither.

And that's not the end of the world. Stay the course, be patient, don't let fear dictate personnel decisions IMO.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
And that's not the end of the world. Stay the course, be patient, don't let fear dictate personnel decisions IMO.

I don't think it would be straying away from the course if we signed Stamkos.
He would be a piece of the puzzle and it wouldn't change the rebuild plan and make it hybrid all of a sudden.

We dont need to bottom out 3-4 years for it to be a 'real' rebuild, we have the pieces to move forward with and build around them.

The team would need a long rebuild that would take 3-5 years had Shanahan taken over the same team Burke took over, but when he arrived we had Rielly and the year after when the team collapsed we got Nylander and the year after Marner. So the team basically got the rewards of a rebuild when they were trying to win so most of the sucking is pretty much done.

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004
I don't think it would be straying away from the course if we signed Stamkos.
He would be a piece of the puzzle and it wouldn't change the rebuild plan and make it hybrid all of a sudden.

We dont need to bottom out 3-4 years for it to be a 'real' rebuild, we have the pieces to move forward with and build around them.

The team would need a long rebuild that would take 3-5 years had Shanahan taken over the same team Burke took over, but when he arrived we had Rielly and the year after when the team collapsed we got Nylander and the year after Marner. So the team basically got the rewards of a rebuild when they were trying to win so most of the sucking is pretty much done.

That may be the case; on the other hand I don't suggest that anyone bet their mortgage on that.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
A billion things are "reality". It doesn't mean they should impact on our decision making process.

Agreed, they wouldn't think about not signing Stamkos because someone else down the road may be available.

The reality part is they may never be available, same with Stamkos.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That may be the case; on the other hand I don't suggest that anyone bet their mortgage on that.

Good suggestion. I think the sucking is far from done, just look at our roster.

Agreed, they wouldn't think about not signing Stamkos because someone else down the road may be available.

The reality part is they may never be available, same with Stamkos.

The reverse is also true - they shouldn't feel they must sign Stamkos because down the road someone else may not be available.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

1363126452_taco-girl-meme-generator-why-not-both-6ec00b.jpg

LeafsTor

Jun 22, 2015
Toronto
If we are worried about paying him too much why dont we just over pay him for the next couple years then under pay him when we expect to be a good team.

Salary:

Max

Max

Max

Max

something like that. Or is there a rule that i dont know about

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If we are worried about paying him too much why dont we just over pay him for the next couple years then under pay him when we expect to be a good team.

Salary:

Max

Max

Max

Max

something like that. Or is there a rule that i dont know about

It's really about the cap and not the individual pay each year. Besides, it will likely look similar to what you posted with a contract of something like 7 years for 80 mil or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad