Stamkos to Toronto: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004
Stamkos and the home town discount is a pipe dream. The guessing here is that Steven knows full well that this may be his best and only chance to hit the mother load! I bet he's looking for max term and max dollars to go along with a NTC so he can control his future.

If Steven or his agent we're in any mood to talk discount...I am betting he'd be signed already. The silence is deafening right now.

Ok , let's assume he'd go to Toronto. How much would he have to gross in Ontario to net the same as what he would in Florida? I don't know the answer and am not seeking one; I'm guessing by making the same amount before tax in Toronto and Tampa, the take home pay in Toronto would be alot less. Tax implications.

And we want to talk home town discount?

Add to that, the not so subtle nudge he'll get, behind the scenes, from the NHLPA and some of his fellow players who expect him to get every last cent possible from whomever he signs with, plus the determination from his agent that he does indeed hit the mother load!

Anyone think that Stevie Y may be Gob Smacked at the numbers and term thrown out by the Stamkos camp?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Stamkos and the home town discount is a pipe dream. The guessing here is that Steven knows full well that this may be his best and only chance to hit the mother load! I bet he's looking for max term and max dollars to go along with a NTC so he can control his future.

If Steven or his agent we're in any mood to talk discount...I am betting he'd be signed already. The silence is deafening right now.

Ok , let's assume he'd go to Toronto. How much would he have to gross in Ontario to net the same as what he would in Florida? I don't know the answer and am not seeking one; I'm guessing by making the same amount before tax in Toronto and Tampa, the take home pay in Toronto would be alot less. Tax implications.

Add to that, the not so subtle nudge he'll get, behind the scenes, from the NHLPA and some of his fellow players who expect him to get every last cent possible from whomever he signs with, plus the determination from his agent that he does indeed hit the mother load!

Anyone think that Stevie Y may be Gob Smacked at the numbers and term thrown out by the Stamkos camp?

That's a great point about the nudges from the NHLPA.

However, I think hometown discount comes into play in the right circumstances for certain players. I remember how so many hometown players signed with Toronto during the Quinn years when we were actually good, that I think they'd do the same even in the cap world. Didn't Clarkson sign in Toronto for less than what Edmonton and Ottawa offered? (Although to be fair, Edmonton doesn't offer the living advantages that Tampa does).

Still, I think hometown is a factor somewhat. It's just that we've had a crummy team for the longest time that we couldn't take advantage of the hometown factor. That, and the superstar Ontario boys are only now about to begin hitting UFA age.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
If he wants to come home he should set a precedent for the other Ontario boys and take a discount.

I'd rather sign Kopitar to over 10 mil than Stamkos.

Perhaps you would, but you don't have that choice. A player of this ilk has NEVER been available as a UFA in his prime!!

Peace Frog

Jun 18, 2009

Taking somewhat of a hometown discount is not so far fetched, when you consider the amount of money in endorsements he would make as a Leaf.

Peace Frog

Jun 18, 2009
The only bug named free agent who I think took a (slight) pay cut in recent years was Suter and the Wild.

Him and Parise.... and why????

Because they wanted to go to the Wild and play together. If Stamkos does end up in Toronto, it will be because he wants to play for his beloved Leafs. For that reason, he'll want to set up a cap friendly deal, containing bonuses. On top of his endorsements, I think Steven will be okay. :nod:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The fact that we've reached part 2 of a thread discussing a potential UFA who will likely not reach that status is... well, frightening :laugh:

Not sure why this point comes up so often. Of course a forum of thousands of people make lots of posts about stuff relating to the topic of that forum.

Yeah... What a bunch of idiots. :dunno:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

To be fair, the Stamkos pipe is full of much softer drugs than the Backbock/Lamourello pipe.

We could all be on PCP and none of us would have come up with that.

Stamkos is a mere bong load away.

Last edited:

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Originally Posted by mozz View Post
I think both of them are pipe dreams.

I'm just pretty hesitant at handing Stamkos a blank cheque when the rumour is he so badly wants to come home and play for the Leafs. It worked for the front office, but there is no Management Salary Cap.

I'm late to the party here - but I need to know, what's this all about? So many topics and posts about Stamkos to Toronto. What's this "badly wants to come home and play for the Leafs" rumor? Is there any truth to this, or is this just a multi-thread topic over pure fantasy?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Him and Parise.... and why????

Because they wanted to go to the Wild and play together. If Stamkos does end up in Toronto, it will be because he wants to play for his beloved Leafs. For that reason, he'll want to set up a cap friendly deal, containing bonuses. On top of his endorsements, I think Steven will be okay. :nod:

And the Wild are in cap hell and have severely stunted their chances at winning a cup going forward as a result.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The fact that we've reached part 2 of a thread discussing a potential UFA who will likely not reach that status is... well, frightening :laugh:

It is frightening, and laughable, all at the same time. However, I thought there was little to no chance that Babcock would become our head coach, so, until Stamkos signs a long term deal with Tampa, there's still a chance. Not a very good chance, but, a chance all the same. :naughty:

It would be decent of Stamkos to give the Leafs a home town discount too. ;)

Waiting for the signing announcement! :popcorn:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Agreed. Two way play is being underrated YET AGAIN by this fanbase. You would think this fanbase would know better after Kessel, but I guess not.

Are you seriously saying that Stamkos is as one dimensional as Kessel? If you are, then Tyler Johnson disagrees with you:

Tyler Johnson said despite Stamkos' reputation as a goal-scorer he is a complete player who works hard on both ends of the ice.

"Everyone knows Stamkos is a goal-scorer, he's one of the best in the world at it," Johnson said. "But he plays the game right, he plays the defensive game, he plays in all situations and he'll play on the penalty kills. You don't expect that from a lot of goal scorers, but he just plays the game hard and plays it the right way."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=743205

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I'm late to the party here - but I need to know, what's this all about? So many topics and posts about Stamkos to Toronto. What's this "badly wants to come home and play for the Leafs" rumor? Is there any truth to this, or is this just a multi-thread topic over pure fantasy?

As far as I know there's been nothing from the Stamkos camp in terms of coming to Toronto.

Yet a lot of people think it's a foregone conclusion and here we are on part two of this topic.

I was poking fun, I don't think he's coming "home" next offseason.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
7 years, 80 millions might get it done...can't see Tampa matching that.

Mar 26, 2010
NO WAY he gets to UFA status. He will have a 10 year contract signed this season sometime.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Originally Posted by mozz View Post
I think both of them are pipe dreams.

I'm just pretty hesitant at handing Stamkos a blank cheque when the rumour is he so badly wants to come home and play for the Leafs. It worked for the front office, but there is no Management Salary Cap.

As far as I'm aware, all we know in that regard is that at one point, Stamkos really wanted to be a Leaf. During a pre-draft interview, he said, with a mile-wide smile, that he was watching the standings and hoping the Leafs would be in a position to pick him.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Whatever.

In light of Shanny convincing Backcock and Lamourello(sp?) to come on board, it's an obvious conversation piece. Regardless of the fact that it's still a pipe dream, it's the end of July and there's little else to talk about even though there is a buzz around the team right now.

Lamoriello :) it's very easy once you break it up

think
Lam
O
Rielly (without the Y)
O

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Opening Night is on October 8th for Tampa Bay. Today is July 27th. lol.. I, like some others ITT, am shocked this has reached part 2. Surprised it wasn't locked. It makes us look ridiculous and desperate to visiting fans.

I for one am EXTREMELY concerned about what visiting fans think about me.

Please accept me, please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad