Stamkos to Toronto: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
News flash: even in a cap world, elite players get paid big money even though they will eventually decline in production.
You don't see how disingenuous it is to use 'big money' as some sort of catch-all term for any cap hit ranging from $7 or 8M all the way up to $12M? There's a big difference.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
If he wants to come home he should set a precedent for the other Ontario boys and take a discount.

I'd rather sign Kopitar to over 10 mil than Stamkos.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
The fact that we've reached part 2 of a thread discussing a potential UFA who will likely not reach that status is... well, frightening :laugh:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The fact that we've reached part 2 of a thread discussing a potential UFA who will likely not reach that status is... well, frightening :laugh:

If he's not signed in Tampa by opening night, it's a legit discussion point. I thought a deal would have been done by now. I still think a deal will get done in Tampa, but Im seeing a little smoke to this fire.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
If he wants to come home he should set a precedent for the other Ontario boys and take a discount.

I'd rather sign Kopitar to over 10 mil than Stamkos.

Agreed. Two way play is being underrated YET AGAIN by this fanbase. You would think this fanbase would know better after Kessel, but I guess not.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

all the other important discussions are being ignored?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Agreed. Two way play is being underrated YET AGAIN by this fanbase.

Kopi, I'd pay $10M to easily. He'll be 29 when he gets it, but his style of play is far more sustainable in his later years than Stamkos' is. All that mileage on him with all the playoff games is a legit concern, though.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why is Stamkos leaving TB? They just made the Stanley Cup Finals.

I don't think he will. I expect him to be resigned well before opening night.

Stamkos at least has a GTA connection via his personal life, Kopitar has no connection to Toronto

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed. Two way play is being underrated YET AGAIN by this fanbase. You would think this fanbase would know better after Kessel, but I guess not.

I don't get it. You're worried about Stamkos' performance level at 28-29 but willing to give the money to a 28-29 year old Kopitar. What if he declines into a Mikko Koivu right away?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Personally, I could see hometown boys giving us a discount when we have a team ready to contend. Maybe in time for Tavares or Seguin (who knows its fate that he was meant to be a Leaf!)

For Stamkos, I just don't see him giving a discount to the Leafs in this stage of our rebuild. Coming over? Sure. Discount? Not so sure.

If you want to blame someone, blame Burke. Because if he hadn't tried so hard to salvage a lost season, maybe we'd already have Tavares. And if he hadn't tried to rush the future, we'd already have Seguin. And if we had just properly rebuilt when we were supposed to back in 2009, then if we were ready to contend, maybe Stamkos might give us a discount! :p (this is a joke, take it easy)

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I don't think he will. I expect him to be resigned well before opening night.

Stamkos at least has a GTA connection via his personal life, Kopitar has no connection to Toronto

I think both of them are pipe dreams.

I'm just pretty hesitant at handing Stamkos a blank cheque when the rumour is he so badly wants to come home and play for the Leafs. It worked for the front office, but there is no Management Salary Cap.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think both of them are pipe dreams.

I'm just pretty hesitant at handing Stamkos a blank cheque when the rumour is he so badly wants to come home and play for the Leafs. It worked for the front office, but there is no Management Salary Cap.

.. There is?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I don't get it. You're worried about Stamkos' performance level at 28-29 but willing to give the money to a 28-29 year old Kopitar. What if he declines into a Mikko Koivu right away?

No, I just don't think Stamkos is all he's cracked up to be by Leaf fans that's all. Sure, he scores quite a bit, but the other facets of his game leave quite a bit to be desired.

He's quite overrated.

Ideally, we wouldn't sign Kopitar either, as I'm not a fan of tying up big money to players who are likely past, or going to be past their best before date very soon.

Reeks of the quick fix routine management has tried in the past, and let's be honest, how many of these mega UFA contracts actually work out in the end?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

not all. I've stated that I'd like to get Kopitar over Stamkos a multitude of times. not ALL the fanbase. some of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad