Proposal: Stamkos to MTL

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
If you don't see the difference in value between these two players then I don't know what else to say. Domi has scored 70+ points once. Stamkos has hit 90+ points multiple times along with several 80+ point seasons. No chance you get stamkos for that.

TB can win the cup without Stamkos. Given their cap situation they’d be all over a Stamkos for Kotkaniemi type of deal. It’s the same type of trade they made getting Sergachev. Getting a young cost controlled top talent for a guy they don’t need who’s eating a lot of cap space would be a godsend. It’s the type of tough decision teams going for cups make.

That said, imo, no way Stamkos waives to go to the habs, so a discussion on values is moot.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Re-read OP. Apparently MTL was in his top choices when signing as UFA. I remember he outright refused BUF at 11/12m+ per season, but was negotiating with Habs and Tampa the most.

I don’t think that’s true though.

he organized meetings for leverage. But when he left the Toronto meeting he immediately signed back with Tampa. He didn’t even meet with montreal.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Everyone keeps talking about how Tampa is in cap hell, and that Tampa will most likely lose one of Sergachev or Cirelli unless they do some serious magic.
Then they let Cerelli walk. Having their top guys signed to great cap hits is a huge advantage to building out the support group. If Stamkos was at 11 million, then I could see trying to move him out. But he’s signed fir 8.5. Replace the support guys, because these inexpensive contracts to their top guys allows for it. TBay could win several Cups over the next five years. Just look at the difference in total cap cost fir their top guys compared with a team like the Leafs! The extra cap dollars saved with these contracts is super important.

Reactions: Morrison

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I don’t think that’s true though.

he organized meetings for leverage. But when he left the Toronto meeting he immediately signed back with Tampa. He didn’t even meet with montreal.
Leverage would mean he would try to sign at at least 9.5+, not 8.5. And he did meet Montreal from what I remember.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Honestly... I would trade him for the right offer. This isn't it, mind you, but I don't think he's necessary for the team's success (although I'm by no means saying "we're better without him" or anything).

It would have to be an amazing offer, but I'd do it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Leverage would mean he would try to sign at at least 9.5+, not 8.5. And he did meet Montreal from what I remember.

Im 99.9% sure he didn’t. He went to meet with Toronto. Had a tour “lined up” but when he didn’t like the leafs presentation he walked out and agreed to terms with Tampa.

he had the first meeting with TO and then signed that night at the same time as the weber/subban trade.

Bergevin wasn’t negotiating a trade and meeting with stamkos in Toronto.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I know Stamkos has a NMC, but it has been rumored (reported?) that Stamkos was choosing between Tampa/Toronto/Montreal during his UFA negotiations.

Anyway, with Tampa doing so well without him, I was thinking: what would both teams think of the following?

Kotkaniemi for Stamkos? Straight hockey deal.

Kotkaniemi, just like Stamkos, can either play at Center or at Left Wing. Also, Kotkaniemi just scored 4 goals in these playoffs and has just turned 20 in July.

For the Habs, they do this to contend as early as next year, since Price, Weber, and Petry (their main core) are getting old.

For the Lightning, they add grit to their team: Bambi (Kotkaniemi) likes to smash, they also get cap space relief (to extend Sergachev + Cirelli), and get a player a full decade younger (20 vs 30).

I think this is a reasonable ask (as opposed to your usual Danault/Domi + Mete + 2nd, etc).
Montreal aren't making this trade.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Im 99.9% sure he didn’t. He went to meet with Toronto. Had a tour “lined up” but when he didn’t like the leafs presentation he walked out and agreed to terms with Tampa.

he had the first meeting with TO and then signed that night at the same time as the weber/subban trade.

Bergevin wasn’t negotiating a trade and meeting with stamkos in Toronto.
Dunno where all this talk of Stamkos highly considering Montreal even came from.

From what I remember, it was Toronto and Tampa. And we all remember how hard Toronto campaigned to get him.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I know Stamkos has a NMC, but it has been rumored (reported?) that Stamkos was choosing between Tampa/Toronto/Montreal during his UFA negotiations.

Anyway, with Tampa doing so well without him, I was thinking: what would both teams think of the following?

Kotkaniemi for Stamkos? Straight hockey deal.

Kotkaniemi, just like Stamkos, can either play at Center or at Left Wing. Also, Kotkaniemi just scored 4 goals in these playoffs and has just turned 20 in July.

For the Habs, they do this to contend as early as next year, since Price, Weber, and Petry (their main core) are getting old.

For the Lightning, they add grit to their team: Bambi (Kotkaniemi) likes to smash, they also get cap space relief (to extend Sergachev + Cirelli), and get a player a full decade younger (20 vs 30).

I think this is a reasonable ask (as opposed to your usual Danault/Domi + Mete + 2nd, etc).
From a pure hockey trade value sense this offer makes sense, fill both teams needs and is a legit offer and not trying to rip off TBL because well salary cap. Stamkos is better player but at 8.5m is on pricey side in covid world.

Saying that I would be stunned in Stamkos waived for Canada and took a big pay cut.

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
There are four more seasons left on a contract that goes to July 2024. Stamkos has a full NMC, plays in Florida and thus gets to enjoy Florida's milder winter weather, gets Florida's advantageous tax benefits, and his team happens to be the best team in the league. It shows little sign of slowing down. He's not leaving that situation.

Reactions: Morrison

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Dunno where all this talk of Stamkos highly considering Montreal even came from.

From what I remember, it was Toronto and Tampa. And we all remember how hard Toronto campaigned to get him.
It doesn't mean he wasn't considering other teams. He may have just decided after Toronto's presentation that he didn't want to go through that exercise several more times.
In any event it is to be hoped MB would never consider trading a potential young 1st line centre for a player as fragile as Stamkos. Stamkos might have many good seasons left or he might already be breaking down.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It doesn't mean he wasn't considering other teams. He may have just decided after Toronto's presentation that he didn't want to go through that exercise several more times.
In any event it is to be hoped MB would never consider trading a potential young 1st line centre for a player as fragile as Stamkos. Stamkos might have many good seasons left or he might already be breaking down.

Kotka could literally never become more than a 50 point player which is even double his current production. He has a long way to go to get to Stamkos' level if her ever does. Kotka ++ is needed for Stamkos.

Habs fans are the biggest homers on this board.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Going off Capgeek's calculator, he'd lose $2.2M next year alone...

That being said, I believe players don't have all their taxes based on their home state/province, I thought it varied with away games, but I don't know if Capgeek's calculator takes that into account.

Regardless, going from Florida taxes to Montreal taxes means he's gonna lose millions. Don't count on him waiving.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
A 23 year old center that scored 20 points has equal value to a ppg elite goal scoring center signed to a good contract comapred to Panarin or Tavares.

Whatever you say hot dog boy.
You're absolutely right. I think Jack Hughes could be had since he's a 22-year-old (going by your age calculator) center that scored 21 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad