Proposal: Stamkos to MTL

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
A 23 year old center that scored 20 points has equal value to a ppg elite goal scoring center signed to a good contract comapred to Panarin or Tavares.

Whatever you say hot dog boy.
he was youngest player in the NHL 2 years ago with comparable numbers to elite C's at that age . He was injured 75% of his sophomore year. He turned 20, 2 months ago. But don't let factual reality get in the way of your 'own'

FliegerKorps

May 10, 2018
A 23 year old center that scored 20 points has equal value to a ppg elite goal scoring center signed to a good contract comapred to Panarin or Tavares.

It is pretty frustrating sometimes being a Habs fan. I can understand that a lot of us are homers when it comes to players but replies like this keep the vicious cycle running.

Anyway

1. He is 20 years old.

2. Of course Kotkaniemi isnt on Stamkos Level nor will i think he'll ever be. Nonetheless, it's a cost-controlled physical two-way center who in my opinion will bring 55-60 points per year on top of stellar metrics.

3. Stamkos is injury-prone, turning 30 and doesnt seem to be THAT necessary to the current team success

All in all, NTC and real desire to come to Montreal aside, the deal makes sense for both parties... if the Habs were looking to win in the short term. Otherwise, we shouldnt trade Kotka.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Taxes are a false problem since the millionnaires of hockey can afford to hire the best fiscalists. And I'm not the only one saying it, Laraque does.

But frankly, I don't think Stamkos will be TB's first choice to fix their cap issues.

They have plenty of other options.

But one thing is for sure, they'll have to cut somewhere because they have 76,1666 mil commited to 15 players in 2020-2021 (per capgeek) and have Sergachev, Cirelli and Cernak to sign up as RFA.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

Habs fans are the biggest homers on this board.

At least habs fans know what they're talking about when speaking about hockey..

You've got like 2 factual mistakes in 2... internet is here to verify your informations, so you have no excuses.

If you want to criticise, at least have some credibility...

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I doubt we would trade him to a division rival. Stamkos when healthy is still super productive. Has been one of the most productive in the league in his time in the league. The offer by the op is just not good enough. I think you would also have to offer a top pick with it.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I doubt we would trade him to a division rival. Stamkos when healthy is still super productive. Has been one of the most productive in the league in his time in the league. The offer by the op is just not good enough. I think you would also have to offer a top pick with it.

Maybe, but it would be counterproductive since we're in a rebuil... aaah retooling process.

We have to keep the young guys and continue to build towards becoming a real contender in 2-3 years from now.

I personnally think that this ''we have to win now for Weber and Price'' is BS, we owe them nothing. And it's not because we did not bad, in a 10 games stint in an out of the ordinary situation, that we have to believe that we're better than what we are. Habs NEED to continue their rebuilding through young guys and draft.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Maybe, but it would be counterproductive since we're in a rebuil... aaah retooling process.

We have to keep the young guys and continue to build towards becoming a real contender in 2-3 years from now.

I personnally think that this ''we have to win now for Weber and Price'' is BS, we owe them nothing. And it's not because we did not bad, in a 10 games stint in an out of the ordinary situation, that we have to believe that we're better than what we are. Habs NEED to continue their rebuilding through young guys and draft.

It's hard to imagine us trading Stamkos (though I would personally be open to it), but I see no way it happens without a very, very high pick coming to TB.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

You have no idea of his age or point totals.
You obviously have no clue about the player

Last edited:

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Domi just netted 72 points last season and absolutely nobody considers him a 70+ point player. What makes Stamkos any different, since he only scored 90+ points ONCE in 8 seasons.

HFBoards in a nutshell: my player's best season is who he really is, your player's worst season is who he really is...
4 90 point seasons under his belt with the last 3 being close to/ on pace or at 90 points and trying to act like it is the same as a guy who has scored 50 plus points twice is more hfboard than whatever you just said.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I remember he turned down Buffalo, who offered the most.

But yeah, Montreal was in his top destinations. I knew I wasn't crazy.

May have been scheduled but I don’t think he even met with the Habs. Called Tampa right after the Toronto presentation and decided he wasn’t going anywhere. Don’t think Montreal was really ever going to happen.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He did hit 90+ points multiple times. But that was over 8 years ago he was a 90+ player. Ever since then, he only scored 90+ points once (hence the 1 in 8 years).

Also I never offered Domi for Stamkos. Because I know that ask would be something like Domi + 2 1sts + for Stamkos. And that wouldn't help you guys that much cap wise either way. Instead, I offered Kotkaniemi who is >>> Domi/Danault, etc.

He had 90 last year. you cant say 8 years ago he was a 90+ guy when he literally had 40g/98pts last season LOL

kotkaniemi + caufield + 2020 1st and even then im not sure its enough

your kotkaniemi straight up offer is almost as bad as the reasoning behind it (KK has been awful but he scored 4 goals in the playoffs!)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Everyone keeps talking about how Tampa is in cap hell, and that Tampa will most likely lose one of Sergachev or Cirelli unless they do some serious magic.

so they should just take the first garbage offer they get?

JK will never be anywhere near as good as Stamkos and you can bookmark that and come back at me if he ever gets 40-60g/90+pts

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
I wouldn't trade any futures for a player who's played more than 57 games in 4 of his last 8 seasons. Although I do think Stamkos is elite and Montreal should make an attempt to win before Price and Weber get too old.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I wouldn't trade any futures for a player who's played more than 57 games in 4 of his last 8 seasons. Although I do think Stamkos is elite and Montreal should make an attempt to win before Price and Weber get too old.
Yeah, I can’t believe he only played 48 games in 2012-13, what terrible injury did Stamkos have that caused him to play that specific number of games that season?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
They might already be too old to win the cup

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Terrible for tampa. Add a couple first round picks.
Yeah I don't think so. Kotkaniemi is a full decade younger, and it's been 8 years since Stamkos had 50+ goal season - and he more than likely won't have one again. Even one for one, Stamkos' age and injury history make this deal a bad idea from the Habs' perspective. Having Kotkaniemi from now until he's a UFA is worth more than Stamkos' twilight years as an effective player.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
so they should just take the first garbage offer they get?

JK will never be anywhere near as good as Stamkos and you can bookmark that and come back at me if he ever gets 40-60g/90+pts
I never said JK was going to get 40-60g and 90+ pts per season. What I did say, though, is that he's a full 10 years younger. He's 20 years old and just getting started, meanwhile, Stamkos is 30 years old, and commanding a significant cap hit during COVID (where, you know, having cap space - like Tampa desperately needs - is a hell of a luxury to have). Nice try.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Re-read OP. Apparently MTL was in his top choices when signing as UFA. I remember he outright refused BUF at 11/12m+ per season, but was negotiating with Habs and Tampa the most.
Montreal was never really a choice for him

Stamkos did what many others have done before... Use Montreal as a means to drive up market value.

See Hossa, Shanahan, Eriksson, Perron, and the list goes on.

Hey it hasn't been always a loss in signing star UFA's... I mean we did end up signing Flambo to a lifetime contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad