Proposal: Stamkos to MTL

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I know Stamkos has a NMC, but it has been rumored (reported?) that Stamkos was choosing between Tampa/Toronto/Montreal during his UFA negotiations.

Anyway, with Tampa doing so well without him, I was thinking: what would both teams think of the following?

Kotkaniemi for Stamkos? Straight hockey deal.

Kotkaniemi, just like Stamkos, can either play at Center or at Left Wing. Also, Kotkaniemi just scored 4 goals in these playoffs and has just turned 20 in July.

For the Habs, they do this to contend as early as next year, since Price, Weber, and Petry (their main core) are getting old.

For the Lightning, they add grit to their team: Bambi (Kotkaniemi) likes to smash, they also get cap space relief (to extend Sergachev + Cirelli), and get a player a full decade younger (20 vs 30).

I think this is a reasonable ask (as opposed to your usual Danault/Domi + Mete + 2nd, etc).

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Stamkos is not waiving to leave tampa and even if he does it won’t be for Montreal
Re-read OP. Apparently MTL was in his top choices when signing as UFA. I remember he outright refused BUF at 11/12m+ per season, but was negotiating with Habs and Tampa the most.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Re-read OP. Apparently MTL was in his top choices when signing as UFA. I remember he outright refused BUF at 11/12m+ per season, but was negotiating with Habs and Tampa the most.

the teams stamkos was considering we’re Toronto, Detroit, Tampa and San Jose in his free agency tour he only went to Toronto to visit and after that he signed with Tampa.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
the teams stamkos was considering we’re Toronto, Detroit, Tampa and San Jose in his free agency tour he only went to Toronto to visit and after that he signed with Tampa.
I was pretty sure he met with the Habs as well. At least Habs media discussed about it. They made it seem like we were a top candidate for him.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Terrible for tampa. Add a couple first round picks.
There's no way Habs offer more than Kotkaniemi for Stamkos. I'd understand adding that to one of Domi/Danault, but you're getting a cost-controlled recent top-3 draft pick who is 10 years younger and with excellent upside.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
There's no way Habs offer more than Kotkaniemi for Stamkos. I'd understand adding that to Domi or Danault, but you're getting a cost-controlled recent top-3 draft pick who is 10 years younger and with excellent upside.
And your getting a 90+ point C and perrinial 40 goal scorer on good contract. Get real. Upside doesn't mean much. I get that Kotkaniemi is a good piece. But your mistaken if you think he gets stamkos in a one for one trade.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
And your getting a 90+ C and perrinial 40 goal scorer on good contract. Get real.
He scored 40+ goals once in the last 5 seasons, and 90+ points once in the last 8 years. Also, he's been almost exclusively LW these last few years.

It's kinda like me saying Domi is a 70+ point center, since he scored that also once during his now-5-season career.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Stamkos is never leaving. I don't care if Tampa wins the covid cup without him playing one game.

Reactions: Morrison

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
He scored 40+ goals once in the last 5 seasons, and 90+ points once in the last 8 years. Also, he's been almost exclusively LW these last few years.

It's kinda like me saying Domi is a 70+ point center, since he scored that also once during his 5 season career.

If you don't see the difference in value between these two players then I don't know what else to say. Domi has scored 70+ points once. Stamkos has hit 90+ points multiple times along with several 80+ point seasons. No chance you get stamkos for that.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
If you don't see the difference in value between these two players then I don't know what else to say. Domi has scored 70+ points once. Stamkos has hit 90+ points multiple times along with several 80+ point seasons. No chance you get stamkos for that.
He did hit 90+ points multiple times. But that was over 8 years ago he was a 90+ player. Ever since then, he only scored 90+ points once (hence the 1 in 8 years).

Also I never offered Domi for Stamkos. Because I know that ask would be something like Domi + 2 1sts + for Stamkos. And that wouldn't help you guys that much cap wise either way. Instead, I offered Kotkaniemi who is >>> Domi/Danault, etc.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
we're not trading KK for a 30 yr old player lol
I wouldn't trade Stammer for a 23 point player that would DREAM to be half of the player Stamkos is.

This is probably an unpopular opinion though since he won't be a 23 point player forever. But for today, he is.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
He did hit 90+ points multiple times. But that was over 8 years ago he was a 90+ player. Ever since then, he only scored 90+ points once. And I never offered Domi for Stamkos. Because I know that trade would look like Domi + 2 1sts + for Stamkos. Instead, I offered Kotkaniemi who is >>> Domi/Danault, etc.

When he was 90+ player? You mean just recently his 98 point season? He still is a 90+ point player. You have to be trolling at this point.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is TBay in cap trouble, and they need to create room? Otherwise, why trade Stamkos? Next playoffs he might be the healthy guy, and Point is injured. Having these elite players signed to comparatively low cap hits to other teams in your division top guys is a huge advantage.

Reactions: johnnybbadd

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
When he was 90+ player? You mean just recently his 98 point season? He still is a 90+ point player. You have to be trolling at this point.
Domi just netted 72 points last season and absolutely nobody considers him a 70+ point player. What makes Stamkos any different, since he only scored 90+ points ONCE in 8 seasons.

HFBoards in a nutshell: my player's best season is who he really is, your player's worst season is who he really is...

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Is TBay in cap trouble, and they need to create room? Otherwise, why trade Stamkos? Next playoffs he might be the healthy guy, and Point is injured. Having these elite players signed to comparatively low cap hits to other teams in your division top guys is a huge advantage.
Everyone keeps talking about how Tampa is in cap hell, and that Tampa will most likely lose one of Sergachev or Cirelli unless they do some serious magic.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
How many points did he have this season? Tyler Johnson scored 70pts too. He's not a 70 point player.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
How many points did he have this season? Tyler Johnson scored 70pts too. He's not a 70 point player.
Over 5 seasons ago. Domi's was last season.

I remember Tampa regarding Johnson as such (or close to it) during trade proposals for several years after the fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad