Speculation: Staios no longer with Oilers, rumoured to join Sens org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
hoooweee! Haters getting all riled up in here! PD living rent free all across HFSens lol

Alfie has very clearly said that he wants to work directly with players and he doesn’t have much front office experience.

He’s not going to be hired as the president of hockey operations. In fact it’s a pretty useless position in my opinion to be honest, especially if Andlauer is going to be as hands on as he seems. Essential Andlauer is the owner/POHO.

You don’t need another POHO and a GM, you really need one guy making the hockey decision, and 2 or 3 AGMs for support.

An example of the power struggle that can ensue is between Shanny and Dubas… I mean, who is in charge? Why would Dubas have to check in with Shanny before making trades? Seems silly to me.

GM checks in with POHO, who then checks in with Andlauer… that’s bloated management right there.

Reactions: Larionov

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Alfie has very clearly said that he wants to work directly with players and he doesn’t have much front office experience.
“I would love to have a meaningful role in hockey ops. I feel I have a lot to contribute in that role, so that’s kind of what I’m hoping. We’ll see what happens with the new ownership, but that’s my dream job.”

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
“I would love to have a meaningful role in hockey ops. I feel I have a lot to contribute in that role, so that’s kind of what I’m hoping. We’ll see what happens with the new ownership, but that’s my dream job.”

"Meaningful role in hockey ops" could be very broad in scope. It covers potentially many different roles including HC, AC, GM, AGM, & POHO.

If he said "helping individual players to improve their skills", then it would likely be player development.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
hoooweee! Haters getting all riled up in here! PD living rent free all across HFSens lol

He’s not going to be hired as the president of hockey operations. In fact it’s a pretty useless position in my opinion to be honest, especially if Andlauer is going to be as hands on as he seems. Essential Andlauer is the owner/POHO.

You don’t need another POHO and a GM, you really need one guy making the hockey decision, and 2 or 3 AGMs for support.

An example of the power struggle that can ensue is between Shanny and Dubas… I mean, who is in charge? Why would Dubas have to check in with Shanny before making trades? Seems silly to me.

GM checks in with POHO, who then checks in with Andlauer… that’s bloated management right there.
I agree that a POHO would redundant.

One GM (roster construction) with 2 to 4 assistants (e.g., AHL Farm System, Scouting, Player Development, Hockey Analytics, Contracts & Capology) should be able to do the job.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Alfredsson says he has spent some time around the Senators and Canadian Tire Centre this season, including skating with injured players while the team is out of town.

"I think with experience and what they're going through now. I was there early in my career, how we went from being the worst team in the league to consistently being a playoff team," Alfredsson said.

"I feel I have a lot to contribute in that role, so that's kind of what I'm hoping. We'll see what happens with the new ownership, but that's my dream job."

Reactions: senswon

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
GM - Darche
AGM - Staois

Alfie - Some sort of role in player development. Like a Director or something. Hopefully someone with a bit of experience as the POHO. Staois could potentially be a POHO candidate if he is meant to be the buffer between management and ownership.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I can see Alfie playing a role in both player development and as an advisor to decision making and roster construction.

Just seems like that would fit his personality and ability best.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I can see Alfie playing a role in both player development and as an advisor to decision making and roster construction.

Just seems like that would fit his personality and ability best.
I can see Alfredsson being named as an assistant to the GM, similar to the way Yzerman was trained to become a future GM.

For GM I would like to have someone with previous experience and some past success at being a GM or an experienced AGM with a successful team. That would not be Alfredsson at this time.

I would like to replace Dorion as GM asap.

I can see a team having a senior veteran retired GM acting as special advisor to a new GM.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I can see Alfredsson being named as an assistant to the GM, similar to the way Yzerman was trained to become a future GM.

For GM I would like to have someone with previous experience and some past success at being a GM or an experienced AGM with a successful team. That would not be Alfredsson at this time.

I can see a team having a senior veteran retired GM acting as special advisor to a new GM.
Yeah like a VP of player development or something. Still front office, still dealing with players directly.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

If you want some past success at GM, then better to wait until one is available, instead of accepting what is available. Unless you mean Ryan Bowness gets the reins.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If you want some past success at GM, then better to wait until one is available, instead of accepting what is available. Unless you mean Ryan Bowness gets the reins.
I don't have a specific person in mind to be the GM at this time. Hopefully the new owner does and that person meets the criteria. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah like a VP of player development or something. Still front office, still dealing with players directly.
If the VP of Player Development is supposed to report to the GM, then I would give him an AGM title such as AGM - Player Development.

I see VPs as a higher level title under a P. Just my past experience at work; not the gospel.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Jacques Martin!

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: