Stadium Series Jerseys?

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
MLS is not surpassing the NHL anytime soon. Soccer/football as a whole may surpass hockey sooner than later when you consider how big the European soccer has gotten over here. I'm one of those people who refuse to watch the MLS and well only watch the highest level of soccer there is and im not the only one.

That just means you're a snob and missing out on a league that's rapidly growing.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
MLS is not surpassing the NHL anytime soon. Soccer/football as a whole may surpass hockey sooner than later when you consider how big the European soccer has gotten over here. I'm one of those people who refuse to watch the MLS and well only watch the highest level of soccer there is and im not the only one.

I love how you take the Euro-elitist approach and still incorrectly deny that soccer is so much bigger than hockey the world over.

Queensdevil

May 10, 2012
Queens, NY

Oh one of those....

Let's all just sit back and not contribute to our own leagues growth and just expect it to happen overnight. I suppose people that supported what are now the worlds biggest clubs about 100 years ago when they were mere church/small neighborhood clubs were fools for doing it right?

Ok rant over.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't watch any soccer.

But, if there is a chance to develop a synergy between the Devils and Red Bulls fans and organizations, I'm all for it.

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012
First, about the loyalty part.... Those are both special exceptions. You're talking about two of the oldest franchises in their respective sports. The Packers are almost 100 years old. The Cubs are over 140 years old.

The Packers fell off the top after 1968. Established professionally in 1921, they were only 47 years old at that point. Yet they continued to sell out every year, even though the 70s and 80s when they made the playoffs twice in that 20+ year span.

With 32 years in the books, we're not that far off from them in terms of length of existence. We should be focusing on efforts to ingrain more loyalty to our franchise. Fans that are only interested in the team when they win are "fair weather fans" who are not valuable for the long term health of this franchise. They disappear after one or two losing seasons. "Loyal fans" who identify with the team will continue to support it even with a bad season.

This is done by engaging the fans off the ice, whether it's through merchandising, events, or other means that I hope our team can think of. Hopefully after 100 years, we're more like the Cubs and Packers in that we're not feeling attendance issues after a losing season because so many of the fans stay with the team regardless of current performance.

As for the second part: you're thinking too small of a segment that social media reaches. How many people are on facebook/how many are on twitter? Yes, newer, more emerging social media entities are loaded with younger early adopters. That's not the debate, as those are the sources with more limited user bases. Lets not act like facebook and twitter is only used to engage with people under the age of 24. How many people in their 30s and 40s are readily active on social media? A lot more than you think... Facebook started opened up around 10 years ago.... It's not only high school and college kids anymore as many people stuck with it, and many opted in after it opened up. This targets younger people, it targets families, it can target middle aged people. Don't underestimate the adoption of technology amongst a large variety of people.

Did you click through the link I provided? I provided you with a demographic analysis of social media users, that way you would see I'm not just making this argument based on my personal beliefs. The largest segments overall are 18-29 with an income under 30K. Facebook and Twitter are both listed as being most appealing to 18-29 year olds.

These are the people you called the "wrong spot" for the Devils to focus on. So why would the Devils want to dedicate limited resources to something where the largest appeal is to a group they shouldn't be spending their time on, in your opinion?

I'm not saying don't use social media. I'm just arguing that it shouldn't be their #1 priority based on their goals of attracting higher income families.

And on top of that... make up your mind. Everyone here complains about targeting families so that they could target the youth, build roots, and one day they'll have families that will be raised Devils fans... Forget about the logic behind bypassing the people with spending power now to get them down the road that has been used before... Why wouldn't you want to get in touch with all of these groups? This is a common uniting factor. And one readily available to so many people in real-time.

Make up my mind on what? I made no complaints in my post about targeting families. I'm actually in agreement with you that we need people who can afford season tickets, which is more likely to be families than it is kids in or fresh out of college. I'm just pointing out to you that social media is not the best way to target these people, as the demographic studies indicate.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
The Packers fell off the top after 1968. Established professionally in 1921, they were only 47 years old at that point. Yet they continued to sell out every year, even though the 70s and 80s when they made the playoffs twice in that 20+ year span.

With 32 years in the books, we're not that far off from them in terms of length of existence. We should be focusing on efforts to ingrain more loyalty to our franchise. Fans that are only interested in the team when they win are "fair weather fans" who are not valuable for the long term health of this franchise. They disappear after one or two losing seasons. "Loyal fans" who identify with the team will continue to support it even with a bad season.

This is done by engaging the fans off the ice, whether it's through merchandising, events, or other means that I hope our team can think of. Hopefully after 100 years, we're more like the Cubs and Packers in that we're not feeling attendance issues after a losing season because so many of the fans stay with the team regardless of current performance.

The two are still nowhere near comparable because at the base of it, you're trying to compare a team in the 1960s to a team in 2014. The societal, economic, and in some parts of the world, political impact of sports has grown exponentially since. Two totally different planes of existence. Hell, look at where the NFL was in the 60s. It was a developing league (don't confuse this phrase with a league experiencing growth financially as they are not the same). The NHL is an established league.

Did you click through the link I provided? I provided you with a demographic analysis of social media users, that way you would see I'm not just making this argument based on my personal beliefs. The largest segments overall are 18-29 with an income under 30K. Facebook and Twitter are both listed as being most appealing to 18-29 year olds.

These are the people you called the "wrong spot" for the Devils to focus on. So why would the Devils want to dedicate limited resources to something where the largest appeal is to a group they shouldn't be spending their time on, in your opinion?

I'm not saying don't use social media. I'm just arguing that it shouldn't be their #1 priority based on their goals of attracting higher income families.

Didn't see the links the first time around. See them now. Do you ignore how your first link says at the bottom that social media usage is increasing amongst people 30-49? Your links show greatest adoption amongst younger demographics. Not that it is not utilized by others. Why wouldn't you utilize a tool that is so widely accepted by so many people? There is no one "target" for a sports team. There very very rarely are for products that appeal to a broad variety of people. Sports is one of those broad products. When there is such a large usage amongst people on the whole, why wouldn't you use this as a means to engage so many people? Especially when it is so low cost, so readily accessible, and so common place?

Mory Schneideur*

First, the biggest factor above all else is going to be winning, which can't be controlled by off-ice stuff. The team wins, people jump aboard (see how easily they moved tickets for the playoff run a couple years back, even as prices skyrocketed by the finals). The team wins, people stop complaining about minor to medium level things. It's a trickle down. Why are all of these complaints coming up repeatedly this year? Because the team sucked last year and hasn't taken the league by storm this year either. Most of these aren't "new" things.

In regards to fixing any off-ice issues... its complicated, because again, not everything is solely up to them. The top thing which they need to resume/pick up again is fan engagement. Easiest way to do that is social media. They made great strides and I think it took a step back. That's probably largely to do with the former Director of Marketing leaving within the last year (as he was spearheading much of their social media involvement in recent years) to go do social media for the Mets. Best thing about social media for a sports team is that it gives them a voice/face. Use that to interact directly with fans and it goes a long way. It becomes a source for feedback, both positive and negative, and makes fans feel the team is more approachable.

Take the Diablos, destroy the entire thing, and start from scratch. The idea in theory isn't bad. It's current execution is. Changing/fixing a few things will be a band-aid on a giant wound. Tear it all down. Start over again with a better, more definitive vision of what this group should be, and then make it happen. And I'm not saying this should be done without fan involvement. But it should be a few specific individuals, or a group of 5-10 as the "management" of sorts for any supporters group/groups.

Ignore the crap about the goal song. People will always find something to complain about. Those who still care are too stubborn to ever win over. If they want to change it, feel free, but do it in the off-season, make a poll with 5-10 choices, without the old song being in the mix, and go from there. Who cares. But constantly re-visiting it serves no purpose, bringing back the old one serves no purpose, harping on this serves no purpose, etc. The general solution here is make sure the employees in charge of game presentation site down and really assess what they have in their script on a regular basis, take out old things that don't work. Put in new things to try to mix things up. This means everything everything. Video bits, audio choices, promos and contests, etc.

Better sponsorship relations. This is what Scott O'Neil will largely be involved with. This is his specialty. If this is what he is doing here, it will be fine in time. But it can't be ignored or put on the back burner. Sponsorship deals will lead to better/additional promo items and benefits to fans. They'll enjoy it, as stupid of a thing as it may seem.

Figure out ticket prices. Consolidate some zones (way too many price points for the average fan to make sense of). Assess some numbers of what sells, what sells to individual game buyers, what sells to full seasons, what doesn't sell at all. Lower some STH prices a bit. Lower individual game prices, but not by as drastic of a percentage as full seasons. Create a bigger gap between the two. Allows for a bigger cushion for a STH to sell their tickets where they can get their money back, but potentially keeping it low enough that people will buy them on the secondary market. This still does create demand for tickets (on a secondary market), which will make it a little more worthwhile for people to own season tickets since they know they can sell them. The big ticket games will likely sell at a premium over face, and so will playoff tickets if they don't break the structure to try to capitalize pricing options on those. Like always, if the team wins and gets that far, its great for the season ticket holder.

And the one thing to add about season ticket holders... go back to making it about "the experience." All of these meet the team events, special access opportunities and what not is the non-monetary value associated with owning tickets. Yes, many people may get a little burned out when you have the same events every year, especially the basic ones. But they'll be far more pissed having them eliminated than repetitive. Work on keeping them fresh as you go, but keep them there. "Owning the same seat for every game" isn't a perk any more. Events, access, perks, and tangible items that aren't given to non-STHs provides some exclusivity/incentive/sense of being valued. That's what people want. They can spend a few hours at the DMV to be treated like **** for far less money.

Pay the operations people more money. Never seen an Ops staff for any building that hasn't been overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated.

...... There. Happy?

This is all more or less exactly what I've been saying in some other threads, except for the fact that I think there is a lack of good merchandise, fan engagement, and marketing of the team to non-fans/casual fans in general.

The Devils are very poor at making anything about the "experience". Bandaids and stickers for kids included.

I don't watch any soccer.

But, if there is a chance to develop a synergy between the Devils and Red Bulls fans and organizations, I'm all for it.

This is almost a no brainer. I know many season ticket holders of both teams that joke about going to a winter soccer match or a summer hockey game. They don't overlap and complement each other quite well.

As a side note, I always thought an outdoor game at Red Bull Arena would be pretty cool.

I'm removing parts of your posts to slim down this reply. I apologize in advance if you felt I removed a piece that helped make your point.

Two of your ideas I disagree with:

If the team had a more loyal fan base, winning would be less of an issue. Look at the Packers, their fans have sold out for generations even though they were dogs from the 1970s-1990s. I realize Green Bay is more of a special case since it's the only major sport in town. If we want to switch to a town with more than one team, another example is the Chicago Cubs. Their team hasn't won in over 100 years; yet their stadium still is still close to capacity even in down years and above average relative to the league. Loyal fans stick by their team in good times and bad when they've established that ingrained connection.

This is why Johnyrocket is trying to think of ideas to get people more involved outside the game experience. Building and engaging fan loyalty should be the biggest factor for any team including ours, that way fan attendance doesn't disappear during down years.

You have to be careful with this. How many of the fans are you going to reach with this? Social media demographics tend to indicate that the users skew younger for most social networks.

We've seen that the Devils are now targeting families with their efforts (ie, the goal song change), so why would they want to focus their efforts in this direction when it's not representative of their target demographic? You'll reach plenty of fans who are young and don't have disposable income, but what value is that? You have already stated that it's the "wrong spot".

Exactly, if we build the loyalty, fans can even enjoy games or seasons where the team loses.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012
Hell, look at where the NFL was in the 60s. It was a developing league (don't confuse this phrase with a league experiencing growth financially as they are not the same). The NHL is an established league.

You could make an argument the NHL is closer to the NFL's position in the 60s right now. The NHL is the 5th most popular sport in America right now, after football, baseball, and basketball, and soccer. The NFL was the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport in America, depending on what studies you look at for the 1960s.

The NHL has plenty of opportunity for growth from here. Baseball is declining in popularity, and there are concerns that football will begin to also experience a decline due to concerns about concussions and the long term effects of them.

With a 10 year deal in place to prevent future lockouts, this is the prime time for a team like the Devils (and the league) to capitalize on the changes in the sports landscape and try to build the teams fan base.

Didn't see the links the first time around. See them now. Do you ignore how your first link says at the bottom that social media usage is increasing amongst people 30-49? Your links show greatest adoption amongst younger demographics. Not that it is not utilized by others.

I saw that, but the first bullet point in that section is key (emphasis is mine):

"Unsurprisingly, stratification of age in social media use has remained the same since 2005: there has been consistently higher social networking usage amongst the youngest demographic (18-29 year olds), and less usage as age increases."

This supersedes your point about increased usage amongst the older demographic. While more middle aged people are using social media, it's still less than the primary demographic of such applications, and is unchanged for the past 8 years.

My point still remains, that if the primary target of this team is families, social media is not the #1 avenue of reaching them.

Why wouldn't you utilize a tool that is so widely accepted by so many people? There is no one "target" for a sports team. There very very rarely are for products that appeal to a broad variety of people. Sports is one of those broad products. When there is such a large usage amongst people on the whole, why wouldn't you use this as a means to engage so many people? Especially when it is so low cost, so readily accessible, and so common place?

Again, I'm not arguing against social media. I'm saying that it shouldn't be the #1 priority for this team as you are suggesting, as their main targets aren't the primary users of it.

If you could help me, maybe I'm missing something. In this post above you're saying there's no target for a sports team. But in previous posts, you've argued that families should be the primary target. Which is it you're advocating? Or am I misunderstanding your previous position?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Social media is important but so is getting the logo out and visable within the community in merchandising, print and billboard ads and most importantly targeted towards youth hockey and schools.

yehyeh

Devils. Devils? Yeah, Devils.
Dec 17, 2011
NNJ
Not sure where exactly this thread has gone, but I bought a Retro Christmas tree jersey the other day. Very happy with it. I like too many Devils from the past/present to stitch a name on it currently (leaning towards Gelinas or Niedermeyer if I were to get it personalized). Very happy with it though. I only have owned a home black/red Brodeur jersey.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Not sure where exactly this thread has gone, but I bought a Retro Christmas tree jersey the other day. Very happy with it. I like too many Devils from the past/present to stitch a name on it currently (leaning towards Gelinas or Niedermeyer if I were to get it personalized). Very happy with it though. I only have owned a home black/red Brodeur jersey.

Where were you able to grab that?

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
You could make an argument the NHL is closer to the NFL's position in the 60s right now. The NHL is the 5th most popular sport in America right now, after football, baseball, and basketball, and soccer. The NFL was the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport in America, depending on what studies you look at for the 1960s.

The NHL has plenty of opportunity for growth from here. Baseball is declining in popularity, and there are concerns that football will begin to also experience a decline due to concerns about concussions and the long term effects of them.

With a 10 year deal in place to prevent future lockouts, this is the prime time for a team like the Devils (and the league) to capitalize on the changes in the sports landscape and try to build the teams fan base.

You're still not grasping the difference in the economic landscape here. Sports are a multi-billion dollar industry and have a far greater reach than they ever have. The scope of the sports industry in the 1960s is minuscule in comparison. Trying to compare the 60s landscape of sports to today is trying to compare apples and rubix cubes.

I saw that, but the first bullet point in that section is key (emphasis is mine):

"Unsurprisingly, stratification of age in social media use has remained the same since 2005: there has been consistently higher social networking usage amongst the youngest demographic (18-29 year olds), and less usage as age increases."

This supersedes your point about increased usage amongst the older demographic. While more middle aged people are using social media, it's still less than the primary demographic of such applications, and is unchanged for the past 8 years.

My point still remains, that if the primary target of this team is families, social media is not the #1 avenue of reaching them.

Again, I'm not arguing against social media. I'm saying that it shouldn't be the #1 priority for this team as you are suggesting, as their main targets aren't the primary users of it.

If you could help me, maybe I'm missing something. In this post above you're saying there's no target for a sports team. But in previous posts, you've argued that families should be the primary target. Which is it you're advocating? Or am I misunderstanding your previous position?

First, those posts are about context. Responding to someone saying targeting families is bad so that we can target young individuals (college aged kids) to create a rowdy college-like atmosphere. It was about the backwards logic of 'lets try to pack the place with people that wouldn't buy more than a few games at the expense of people more likely to establish some roots here."

Utilizing social media, and even making it a priority, doesn't mean it's a preference in your attempts at targeting fans (existing, new, whichever). This may best serve younger people because of usage, but the point of using social media for promoting your brand is for it's presence amongst the larger populace. So much is digital these days, which means everything spreads that much faster and farther. Staying on top of trends is crucial, and that's for all aspects of marketing. Being current is always big since the market place is always changing.

I know what you're saying about the changes in usage, but I question the validity of the data because of the sample size. Facebook has only been around for 10 years. I don't recall which year it became open to everyone the world over, but it hasn't been for that entire time. Twitter most recently took off in the last couple of years. And then you have the other social media sites that took off since. It's still a new/emerging market. Retention is still kind of guess work for now. A 20 year old college sophomore who started with facebook 8 years is would only be 28 now. What will that person's usage be in a few years? On an individual basis, you ask what phase of life that individual is X years after signing up for these sites, and how their attitudes on it change. By the same token, you could argue about whether or not any of the existing options will be surpassed by some "next big thing" in X amount of years, but that's purely speculation from here. There is obviously still plenty of optimism in the viability of this stuff, as can be seen by how facebook is performing in terms of stock performance. It remains to be seen how twitter will do in that regard in the near future. There seems to continue to be plenty of promise in this area though. It's still a great way to reach the largest audience possible. It still needs to be a primary focus so as not to "turn off" access to such a diverse group.

Social media is important but so is getting the logo out and visable within the community in merchandising, print and billboard ads and most importantly targeted towards youth hockey and schools.

Print is a dying breed (if you mean in traditional print, i.e newspapers and not digital). Billboards probably are still utilized in some areas, but I imagine they don't provide the financial return that they used to, since they're not such a "go-to" anymore. Brand recognition is always key for anyone/any sports teams... short of a few teams like the Yankees with symbols that have transcended the sport.

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012
You're still not grasping the difference in the economic landscape here. Sports are a multi-billion dollar industry and have a far greater reach than they ever have. The scope of the sports industry in the 1960s is minuscule in comparison. Trying to compare the 60s landscape of sports to today is trying to compare apples and rubix cubes.

So you're saying that because revenues are larger, you can't compare the sports landscape? There were 4 major sports leagues in the US in 1963, and 5 in 2013. That's a 1 league difference.

While the revenues are far larger, as far as reach goes, 4 of the 5 current major professional sports are still (for the most part) domestically based. Other than soccer, the biggest leagues in the world are all based in the United States, as they were 50 years ago.

What I'm pointing out is that the the NHL is in a similar position to the NFL in those days. You have a dominant league in its prime (Baseball was the dominant sports of the 60s, the NFL is the dominant sport now), and a league trying to break out and grow itself. (Football then, NHL now)

The NHL should try to take advantage of the changing landscape and grow itself through brand marketing to its fans. Encourage and nurture the loyalty that is so easily utilized by those other leagues that have their longer existences to fall back on.

Utilizing social media, and even making it a priority, doesn't mean it's a preference in your attempts at targeting fans (existing, new, whichever). This may best serve younger people because of usage, but the point of using social media for promoting your brand is for it's presence amongst the larger populace. So much is digital these days, which means everything spreads that much faster and farther. Staying on top of trends is crucial, and that's for all aspects of marketing. Being current is always big since the market place is always changing.

We agree on this, but the only point I want to re-affirm is that you've indicated that the type of customers the Devils should not be interested in retaining: "people that wouldn't buy more than a few games at the expense of people more likely to establish some roots here" are the primary demographic of this area. Hence why it should be something utilized, but not considered their primary tool.

What should be their primary tool? I'm not quite sure. But if young people are not the target, then they need to think of something else being their primary venue.

On an individual basis, you ask what phase of life that individual is X years after signing up for these sites, and how their attitudes on it change.

I will add my own personal observation, that as people get married and have families, they tend to spend less time on social media and more time with their work or their families instead. Again, I emphasize this is only from my own observation and has no statistical data to back it up. However, I'd like to believe it makes sense. When you have husband or wife, and a child or children, you might not have as much time to sit down at a computer or pull out your mobile device to start updating your friends.

By the same token, you could argue about whether or not any of the existing options will be surpassed by some "next big thing" in X amount of years, but that's purely speculation from here. There is obviously still plenty of optimism in the viability of this stuff, as can be seen by how facebook is performing in terms of stock performance. It remains to be seen how twitter will do in that regard in the near future. There seems to continue to be plenty of promise in this area though. It's still a great way to reach the largest audience possible. It still needs to be a primary focus so as not to "turn off" access to such a diverse group.

Sure, MySpace was the king of social networking in the late 90s to early 2000s. Now it's a relic. Will Facebook or Twitter follow? Who knows.

I think social media is a valuable tool, as you said, to give fans a chance to engage with the team. However, its viability as a recruitment mechanism or something to encourage loyalty, especially amongst middle aged family members, is not something that be can counted on.

The Devils have a Twitter account and a Facebook page, will that be a deciding factor whether someone will spend $2000 a year on a partial season ticket holder plan? I doubt it. What would be more of a deciding factor is if the father and/or mother grew up as Devils fans. And due to their feeling of loyalty to the team, whether that was through merchandising, a family member, or some other interactions, decided it was worth that expenditure to retain that feeling.

Maybe in 10 years this question will be turned on its head because everyone in the family demographic will be using social media and you'll be looked as crazy if you aren't utilizing it. But as of now, it's not the best way of reaching the targets you are suggesting.

Mory Schneideur*

So whats the deal with the Stadium Series jerseys? Why are the Devils making it a scavenger hunt to obtain info or even get a jersey?

No press release. No info on Devils site. Not available on nhl.com... They give us the same jersey we've had for years and jack up the price.

Is this some kind of a joke? :shakehead

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012
So whats the deal with the Stadium Series jerseys?

I'm guessing probably nothing will happen at this point. This is from a 2003 article, to quote Lou:

If you're waiting for the defending Stanley Cup champion Devils to unveil a third jersey, don't hold your breath. General manager Lou Lamoriello, who has built one of the most successful professional sports organizations in North America, said his club will never engage in the marketing gimmick while he's running the show.

"I don't believe in it," Lamoriello said. "I strongly believe that you have to have one identity as a team. We want to create a feeling that our home and away jerseys are special and that it means something special to wear one."

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
It's pretty easy to get a retro jersey

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/new-jersey-devils-vintage
http://www.sportsk.com/new-jersey-devils-hockey.html
http://www.coolhockey.com/m4/New-Jersey-Devils/index.html?osCsid=05136ee2efe475cad8ddf39e553397d3

oh and to those who claim the Devils never did anything regarding promoting the vintage jerseys or deals to get them, EVER (from 2011): http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=60483

While I think the complaining about the jersey is excessive, none of those links go to jerseys with the proper Reebok tags

Mory Schneideur*

It's pretty easy to get a retro jersey

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/new-jersey-devils-vintage
http://www.sportsk.com/new-jersey-devils-hockey.html
http://www.coolhockey.com/m4/New-Jersey-Devils/index.html?osCsid=05136ee2efe475cad8ddf39e553397d3

oh and to those who claim the Devils never did anything regarding promoting the vintage jerseys or deals to get them, EVER (from 2011): http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=60483

Its not easy. Why isn't this stuff font and center on the Devils site? Why does one have to resolve to looking through ebay or sites they've never heard of? Why was there no announcement "Get your stadium series jersey!"

Also, pulling an article from 2011 promoting the recycled retros when they originally came out doesn't count (although the promo was cool, I admit). Where was the announcement before the stadium series? Does the organization really expect us to scour Google and the inter webs at the last minute to get whatever scraps are available?

:shakehead

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
While I think the complaining about the jersey is excessive, none of those links go to jerseys with the proper Reebok tags

I hear ya, but the reebokless tags thing comes down to the jersey pickiness/preference some have

Its not easy. Why isn't this stuff font and center on the Devils site? Why does one have to resolve to looking through ebay or sites they've never heard of? Why was there no announcement "Get your stadium series jersey!"

Also, pulling an article from 2011 promoting the recycled retros when they originally came out doesn't count. Where was the announcement before the stadium series? Does the organization really expect us to scour Google and the inter webs at the last minute to get whatever scraps are available?

:shakehead

Those are pretty established and known websites - as concerned citizen in the world of jerseys, I'm surprised you haven't heard of them

While I agree that there should absolutely be more marketing surrounding the vintage jerseys, part of the limited availability of them makes the jerseys more rare and unique

The point surrounding the 2011 retro jerseys promotion was that while few, they had a promotion regarding the much discussed topic of the jerseys which has been bashed plentifully as never being existent - which to a small extent is not the case

There are plenty of knock off websites that I know people have used for the retros and they look fine (I'm not overly picky when it comes to jerseys, so to each their own), and just going to any game at the rock, the number of retro jerseys present is pretty high so the excuse that they are hard to find doesn't really even have much merit

Mory Schneideur*

I hear ya, but the reebokless tags thing comes down to the jersey pickiness/preference some have

Those are pretty established and known websites - as concerned citizen in the world of jerseys, I'm surprised you haven't heard of them

While I agree that there should absolutely be more marketing surrounding the vintage jerseys, part of the limited availability of them makes the jerseys more rare and unique

The point surrounding the 2011 retro jerseys promotion was that while few, they had a promotion regarding the much discussed topic of the jerseys which has been bashed plentifully as never being existent - which to a small extent is not the case

There are plenty of knock off websites that I know people have used for the retros and they look fine (I'm not overly picky when it comes to jerseys, so to each their own), and just going to any game at the rock, the number of retro jerseys present is pretty high so the excuse that they are hard to find doesn't really even have much merit

I was looking from the point of view as a casual fan, and yes as a hardcore fan who owns many jerseys, I've never really been to those sites. I visited your ebay link and finding a retro through there is a joke. Its not the same experience as shopping on nhl.com or a site like that.

This shouldn't be the experience and fans should have easy access to a SS retro, whether its the same jersey as the previous retro or not doesn't matter anymore. Why does a fan have to go on a scavenger hunt to find one? Why can't one just go to nhl.com or newjerseydevils.com and click on jerseys and find a listing that says "retro jersey" or "2014 stadium series retro". Why do we have to spend time trying to figure it out? Should have been promoted and its a huge fail if you ask me. HUGE FAIL.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Looking around the bar here across from the box office, we have a young energetic and vibrant fan base that us fiercely loyal.

The right marketing leadership from the Devils can be very successful if they play their cards right.

Bars are packed even after a snow storm!

Mory Schneideur*

Looking around the bar here across from the box office, we have a young energetic and vibrant fan base that us fiercely loyal.

The right marketing leadership from the Devils can be very successful if they play their cards right.

Bars are packed even after a snow storm!

Yea its a shame nobody wants to listen to us though. :(

Status Quo.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Honestly they should have just wore the white vintage jerseys and sold them. I know the away team is supposed to wear white, but the WC and the LA game are both color vs color.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yes, Devils white throwbacks would have been sweet. But I like the red and greens. See a lot at the game tonight. On beer line now and three guys in front of ne have them on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad