GDT: Stadium Series Alumni Game: Avalanche vs Red Wings | 5 PM MT | February 26, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Just finished watching this.....had to DVR it.

****ing Awesome.

Those guys can still play and cared about winning. It was great to see all of them again, brought back so many memories.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I wasn't a huge Avs fan back in the glory years (too young) but that was still awesome to watch! Must of been so cool for some of you here reliving the glory days!

Also didn't see this posted here, Avs Twitter is just being mean now. ;)

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
The alumni game had (probably justifiably) more hype than the regular season game

I think it lived up to it

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I hope the entire Avs team watched all the interviews on the Avs site, and the entire alumni game, and got a sense of just how much they all cared about winning, and the pride of wearing the Avalanche logo.

If so I think it will have been incredibly inspirational since they go out every night and carry on that tradition wearing the same logo.

Peter sitting after the game in his usual incredible pain massaging his feet, being asked what the best moment of the whole event was, and with no hesitation saying "the win" should sum it up nicely and really drive that home.

You just have to have that undying hunger to win if you're gonna be elite, and that's why these guys, and teams were that great. They all had it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
What a game. Grinning from ear to ear the entire time. Now cap it off with a win tomorrow night. Please just come out motivated.

Bourque seemed to be going the hardest, which naturally fits his personality lol.

I don't hate the Red Wings anymore. In fact, I kind of enjoy them and have over the last decade due to Pavel Datsyuk who is (I'm sorry) one of my favourite players in the league. However, I disagree with anyone who says we lost the rivalry. We won the playoff series' 3-2 (I don't count 2008 since there was, what, 4/5 players left on the combined teams at the end of their respective careers). The Red Wings won 3 Cups to our 2, but in terms of pure rivalry between the two teams I believe we won it.

Great quotes from Roy after the game. Corsi comment is hilarious. Solid showing from the fans in Denver, too. I've been openly critical about Pepsi Centre being outnumbered handily by Wings/Wild/Hawks fans but 50,000 fans and it felt like it was 40,000 Avalanche fans. Great to see.

Lastly, as much as I enjoyed it, the video package in the introduction wasn't really professional. This is a celebration of the rivalry, not a glorified troll job of the Red Wings. Should have included more Wings highlights and less Avs.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
You know, it would be pretty damned funny if something did go down because of this weekend.

I mean they were face to face right before the deadline. Things usually get hashed out over the phone. If the Avalanche had actual serious interest in Drouin or Tampa had serious interest in somebody on the Avs you'd think this weekend couldn't hurt.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
What a game. Grinning from ear to ear the entire time. Now cap it off with a win tomorrow night. Please just come out motivated.

Bourque seemed to be going the hardest, which naturally fits his personality lol.

I don't hate the Red Wings anymore. In fact, I kind of enjoy them and have over the last decade due to Pavel Datsyuk who is (I'm sorry) one of my favourite players in the league. However, I disagree with anyone who says we lost the rivalry. We won the playoff series' 3-2 (I don't count 2008 since there was, what, 4/5 players left on the combined teams at the end of their respective careers). The Red Wings won 3 Cups to our 2, but in terms of pure rivalry between the two teams I believe we won it.

Great quotes from Roy after the game. Corsi comment is hilarious. Solid showing from the fans in Denver, too. I've been openly critical about Pepsi Centre being outnumbered handily by Wings/Wild/Hawks fans but 50,000 fans and it felt like it was 40,000 Avalanche fans. Great to see.

Lastly, as much as I enjoyed it, the video package in the introduction wasn't really professional. This is a celebration of the rivalry, not a glorified troll job of the Red Wings. Should have included more Wings highlights and less Avs.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to interpret D2M's post.

We won during the "rivalry years". Just couldn't beat the Stars for some reason.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Little do we know that this game was the primer for the Roy to Montreal move that will bring us Subban since Price is out for the season. :sarcasm:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs web guys really went above and beyond, just so much content there's no way to post it all, check there and Twitter too.

Yea tons of stuff. Glad they finally got some stuff up. Boulding's periscope in the dressing room that was posted earlier was pretty awesome especially.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hope they put up that video set to the Fo Fighters they showed late in the 3rd that drew the ovation. All the media guys who commented on it said it was incredible.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
it's depressing how the quality of the Avs has so closely followed the quality of their jerseys

good jerseys = rings

2016+Coors+Light+Stadium+Series+Alumni+Game+pa2iO9aIQFxx.jpg

ugly jerseys = lottery picks

20110111__20110112_C01_SP12HKNSTARS~p1.JPG

heinously terrible jerseys = Matt Hunwick

107224042-matt-hunwick-of-the-colorado-avalanche-gettyimages.jpg

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Wings fan here stopping by to say what a pleasure it was to witness the alumni game in your home city. The entire night was so perfect, most of all credit the fans. To learn more about the rivalry (I had no TV through those years) and much more about the class A hockey players on both squads was the greatest. I have great respect for the guys that was a legendary epoch of NHL hockey.

The alumni put on such a solid show if our current teams today can display 1/2 that amount of heart and creativity I will be happy. This is one of the best WC/SS yet great job Avalanche!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Just watched the rebroadcast because I'm too poor for a DVR. What a game. I never considered for a second that the Avs wouldn't win, but what names on the scoresheet, a perfect encapsulation of that era of Avs hockey. Sakic, Bourque, Yelle, Kamensky, Hejduk, plus Forsberg with a beauty assist. Everything I was hoping for. Now that the Wings are thoroughly demoralized by watching their grandpas get schooled by our grandpas, it's time to win 5-2 when it really matters!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Wings fan here stopping by to say what a pleasure it was to witness the alumni game in your home city. The entire night was so perfect, most of all credit the fans. To learn more about the rivalry (I had no TV through those years) and much more about the class A hockey players on both squads was the greatest. I have great respect for the guys that was a legendary epoch of NHL hockey.

The alumni put on such a solid show if our current teams today can display 1/2 that amount of heart and creativity I will be happy. This is one of the best WC/SS yet great job Avalanche!

That's great, it was a perfect night to enjoy Denver. I think it went off very well too.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
That was an amazing game, I saw all my childhood heroes on the ice. The icing on the cake would have been Federov on the Wings team. But I don't need to get spoiled.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Life is a funny thing....We all go through ups and downs some bigger and smaller than others. I've been hit pretty hard this year but today...Good lord...TODAY...I feel like a million bucks. It wasn't the win...it was the effort by both teams that made me smile the most. I still can't get over Klemm dropping down to block shots....in a freaking alumni game. My heart might be fragile, but today it is overfilled.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Just finished watching it, my god im still grinning lol. It was so amazing to watch all those players again, felt almost like 1999 all over again. Great to see Joe score one with his deadly wrister, Foppa will a brilliant pass to Kamensky and see Bourque play (though I wish Roy would have played the whole game instead of watching Billington go full Palushaj every time he made a save :laugh: )

Also even our old timers lose the corsi, win the game :laugh:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
It was worth going to see the game. The teams did not disappoint. I'm sure the Eurolanche were thrilled too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad