OT: Stacy Nattrass

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
I like her. Does the job right. Other anthem singers tend to over due it IMO pretty frequently, which can get old pretty fast.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Have the bagpipes been a constant this season? I understand at the Remembrance Day ceremony game, but aside from that the bagpipes have nothing to do with hockey or a military tribute (it's meant for amazing grace at ceremonies and that's it oh and funerals).

Yeah it's every game...after the warmup skate, when they turn the lights down for the pre-game videos he appears at some random spot.

m66m

Jun 14, 2011
Apparently some love her, some hate her. Just curious what the proportion is.

I think she's great because she keeps it short and simple.

Edit, I just realized either she or I spell "Stacey" strangely.

what do u mean "short and simple" - some lines are left out?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
You know what, I think the 50/50 guys need to go. While we are at it the sweet lady usher in 304 has to go as well. Fire em all. Maybe that will turn the jets around?

Fire kroppy and dancing gabe too! Mick e moose needs to go and all the ice clearing girls.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I think if Chevy is going to replace Stacey he should wait till the offseason when the anthem singer pool is much larger.
LOL'd hard at that one! Well done! :handclap:

:laugh:

You guys need to relax with your opinions about everything. She sings the anthems, big deal! I think she happens to be good at what she does, better than the **** some American cities produce, and hasn't messed up the lyrics.

Keep at it Stacy!

For the record, I fought Mick E Moose last game in the upper deck, damn moose learned the hard way not to get in my way. Raise your hand if you've ever fought a team mascot! :yo: :p:

Jets need to bring in scantily clad women as their ice crew. NOW!

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
She's pretty average but she goes out there and does the job. I'd rather listen to her than some warbling Aguilera-type singer though, no doubt.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If the anthem singer, the bagpipes, dancing Gabe, or ANYTHING unrelated to actual hockey bothers you at all, then the on ice performance must be driving you insane. :laugh:

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
She says she sings the anthem stright up to allow the fans to sing along. If you change up the melody it throws everyone off.

Which is exactly how the National Anthem should be sung. :)

If you're covering a song, it's your interpretation, and you can do what you want, I guess, though often you should refrain from "vocal olympics" there too, because it RARELY sounds as good as the singer thinks it does.

But would you change the colours of the Canadian flag you fly in the rafters of the arena? No. You wouldn't. Don't change the anthem either. I wouldn't even be upset if the anthems weren't sung, but if they're GOING to be sung? Sing them right. Oh Canada is the Canadian flag, if you're visually impaired. You don't mess with the flag, why mess with the anthem?

It's not about being super patriotic or whatever. (Though I consider myself a very proud Canadian) It is simply that the National Anthem is a national symbol. The whole point of a symbol is that it be consistent and immediately recognizable.

Also, as an avid musician, I think she's a pretty solid singer, so that's good too.

Sing on, Stacy. :)

bazaaa*

Boggles my mind anyone cares about who or how the anthem is sung.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Where's that guy who think the atmosphere is better at Coyotes game than Jets games? He should be chiming in on this...

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Boggles my mind anyone cares about who or how the anthem is sung.

If you don't care after this, well..

And I'm glad to hear that more qualified folks than myself have vouched for Stacey's technical skill. I really can't say for sure, because when she sings, the heavens part and a cone of light shines on me. Yeah, like I said, I'm biased.

And, slightly OT, but:

If you're covering a song, it's your interpretation, and you can do what you want, I guess, though often you should refrain from "vocal olympics" there too, because it RARELY sounds as good as the singer thinks it does.

To me, the purpose of a 'cover' version was to apply your particular style to a song and see what happens. Sometimes, you get truly epic results. I think the GnR version of "Sympathy for the Devil" is an improvement, and while I certainly won't disparage a true folk classic like "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", Jag Panzer's cover of it really is as awesome as you'd expect a power metal cover of that song to be.

Last edited:

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I honestly believe anthem singing is a ridiculous thing before a sporting event. Id be fine with sitting down and having them drop the puck.

Stacy Natrass sings well, and doesn't add anything to drag it out.

(I'd prefer a random musical act to the anthems. No one's really battling for their national pride out there.)

Last edited:

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
And, slightly OT, but:

To me, the purpose of a 'cover' version was to apply your particular style to a song and see what happens. Sometimes, you get truly epic results. I think the GnR version of "Sympathy for the Devil" is an improvement, and while I certainly won't disparage a true folk classic like "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", Jag Panzer's cover of it really is as awesome as you'd expect a power metal cover of that song to be.

Oh I agree. I just mean that adding 100 vocal runs to a song is always too much for me. I LOVE the Muse version of House of the Rising Sun (which sounds NOTHING like the original, which I also love), and if I thought for a few moments, could think of likely a dozen similar examples.

:)

KittyCarlyle

Jul 5, 2011
You're correct: she doesn't do excessive vibrato and constantly gesture with her non-mic hand.

I'm both meh and like. She keeps it short and simple, and isn't too bad to listen to, and that's a lot more than you can say about most anthem singers.

I like her simple style but if I had to critique I'd say some subtle vibrato on some of the more sustained notes would plump things up without being over the top (think Neil Young on after the goldrush).

SOURCE: I like Neil Young

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
... when she sings, the heavens part and a cone of light shines on me.

^^^ QFT ^^^

I <3 Stacey too!!!

RE: her technical skill... With glowing heart

Sixteen years ago, Nattrass, 36, was studying music at the University of Manitoba. On weekends, she handled lead vocals for a smallish, jazz ensemble that performed in lounges and coffee shops around town.

... and another... Winnipeg Jets anthem singer Stacey Nattrass gets serious ice time

Stacey is a Winnipegger with years of experience in musical theatre, jazz and classical music. And she comes from a very musical family. Both her parents sang at the Hollow Mug dinner theatre and her dad is an accomplished accordionist...plus her aunt is opera singer Tracy Dahl.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I honestly believe anthem singing is a ridiculous thing before a sporting event. Id be fine with sitting down and having them drop the puck.

Stacy Natrass sings well, and doesn't add anything to drag it out.

(I'd prefer a random musical act to the anthems. No one's really battling for their national pride out there.)

As odd as singing the national athem before every game is (the traditon started in the MLB for special games and only became routine during WW2) it would be much odder having a random musical act before every game.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Not a game day yesterday so Sip has to stay sharp :sarcasm:

I kid I kid

The coach is fired so what now we are going to kick the anthem singer around a bit? She does a solid enough job and her pace is commendable.

I'm an equal opportunity hater, you know that guy that shovels the ice where the....Hate him!;)

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
The Jets should consider trading her, her value is only going to go down from here. She's held back by the bag pipes, TNSE should get rid of that in a last ditch effort to increase her trade value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad