OT: Stacy Nattrass

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't love her, but she isn't "meh".

We need a "I like her" option.. she doesn't mess up much, she's pretty, I don't really see her as anything in need of change.

Not a big fan of the bagpipes, mostly because I hate bagpipes.

I like the bagpipes as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure what they're doing at the Jets game. Who was sitting around a the TNSE pre-game show meeting and said, "you know what we need? MOAR BAGPIPEZ!" and everyone else around the table started high-fiving? If they had the dude playing Thunderstruck with the flaming pipes, I'd be on board. But having the piper play a bar of "Going Home" isn't really lighting the fire in my belly...

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I like the bagpipes as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure what they're doing at the Jets game. Who was sitting around a the TNSE pre-game show meeting and said, "you know what we need? MOAR BAGPIPEZ!" and everyone else around the table started high-fiving? If they had the dude playing Thunderstruck with the flaming pipes, I'd be on board. But having the piper play a bar of "Going Home" isn't really lighting the fire in my belly...

Thats my issue with the bagpipes.
At no point has anyone offered up any explanation for them. They just kinda happened. I'm assuming there's a military tie in and its a tribute, but it could just be a STH who shows up every time with his bagpipes :P .

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I try hard to be objective when talking about Stacey because I freely admit I am addled with a little bit of a crush on the woman. With that in mind, I think she sings the national anthem exactly the way it should be sung, and I think she brings just the right amount of personal flair into it -- the thumbs up during the True North shoutout, and letting Kroppy do the last line of O Canada on Remembrance Day.

Is she technically adept? I'm too tone-deaf to tell, but she has never grated on my ears yet.

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Thats my issue with the bagpipes.
At no point has anyone offered up any explanation for them. They just kinda happened. I'm assuming there's a military tie in and its a tribute, but it could just be a STH who shows up every time with his bagpipes :P .

Something like the bagpipes would be cool for playoff games. At every game it just feels like overkill.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I try hard to be objective when talking about Stacey because I freely admit I am addled with a little bit of a crush on the woman. With that in mind, I think she sings the national anthem exactly the way it should be sung, and I think she brings just the right amount of personal flair into it -- the thumbs up during the True North shoutout, and letting Kroppy do the last line of O Canada on Remembrance Day.

Is she technically adept? I'm too tone-deaf to tell, but she has never grated on my ears yet.

She brings her "A" game just about every night.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well obviously Sip was gonna be the hater :laugh:

Not a game day yesterday so Sip has to stay sharp :sarcasm:

I kid I kid

The coach is fired so what now we are going to kick the anthem singer around a bit? She does a solid enough job and her pace is commendable.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Hate is way too strong but I really don't like her voice. The best my wife can say is that she isn't always horrible. I feel terrible even saying this.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
She sings it in more of a classical, or operatic/theatrical way, as opposed to a modern 'pop' kind of way which most female anthem singers do at sporting events. Not sure if I like it; just a matter of personal preference.

You're correct: she doesn't do excessive vibrato and constantly gesture with her non-mic hand.

I'm both meh and like. She keeps it short and simple, and isn't too bad to listen to, and that's a lot more than you can say about most anthem singers.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB

Have the bagpipes been a constant this season? I understand at the Remembrance Day ceremony game, but aside from that the bagpipes have nothing to do with hockey or a military tribute (it's meant for amazing grace at ceremonies and that's it oh and funerals).

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I have no problem with Stacey at all. She's much better than most of the anthem singers I hear from other arenas. The weird opera dudes and Maria Carey wannabes need not apply...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hate is way too strong but I really don't like her voice. The best my wife can say is that she isn't always horrible. I feel terrible even saying this.

Don't feel bad not being horrible is a back handed complement when it comes to anthem signers in the NHL because far to often they are pretty bad.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Meh- she does a commendable job- always brings her A-game. Don't hate the piper but the in-game entertainment has gone from par to sub-par IMO. Less Wheeler for the love of all that is holy- PLEASE.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
I have no problem with Stacey at all. She's much better than most of the anthem singers I hear from other arenas. The weird opera dudes and Maria Carey wannabes need not apply...

^^^This!

I like Stacey - she's classy, and she sings the ACTUAL melody so that I can sing along in my head.

Nothing is worse than an anthem singer with their own road map. Where are they going to go on the next verse? God only knows.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Like. Not love. Way better than most from other NHL cities. Good pace, gets it over and done with. :handclap:

Occasionally she sings a little off which can be like fingernails on blackboard to me but usually not. Easy on the eyes. We could do a LOT worse. :thumbu:

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
She just signed a 5 year deal in the offseason......

She isn't going anywhere folks!

:P

P.S. I like her....cute and to the point during the anthems

Ramsalot

Rergisterd Uhrser
Jan 17, 2013
Torpronto
I hate when they do that. It's not American Idol. You don't need to add artistic flairs to a national anthem.

What? Dude, this lady is a musician! She sings both anthems with class, not the American Idol, run-happy, voice-flipping pop star wannabes we see in other markets. She goes out there and just sings it, and that's refreshing this day and age.

Amen, bros.

As someone who isn't American and doesn't entirely understand American patriotic bravado, I have to admit that I hate pretty much every person who has sung the US anthem at a sporting event in the US. They're supposedly there to "lead us in a singing of the national anthem" but firstly they make it impossible to sing along with since they all sing it completely differently, and also it seems to me that Americans rarely ever even pretend to try to sing along with their own anthem. I absolutely hate when O Canada recieves the same treatment.

To sum it up: Hey, Stace, you can sing my anthem any time ;)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I like that she obviously knows that she's there to sing the anthem(s) and that's that. She's not headlining a concert or trying to get a raise. She does her job, does it well and looks good doing it.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I like Stacy. Good anthem singer and easy on the eyes.

To those of you who don't like her - do you want someone like the wannabe gigalo who sings the anthems in Boston? :sarcasm:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
She's been singing the anthem for over 15 years with TNSE. Like who really cares about the anthem singer. She sings the words properly and with the proper melody. What more do you need exactly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad