GDT: St. Louis Blues vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Looking at that last game clip, Berglund seems much faster than he does these days. I don't know what it is but he seems really slow this year and even last year.

It's easy to look at a couple plays and compare them to several games worth of recent memory. Berglund has never been fast, but I don't think he's slower now. If anything, we're just seeing him surrounded by faster guys in Schwartz, Tarasenko, Roy, Paajarvi, and now Oshie looks faster than he ever has with a fully-healed ankle.

If there's a particular player who seems slower this year to me, it's Steen. Not all the time, but there have been several occasions at the beginning or middle of a shift when he looks like he's running in mud. Could just be that he's doing something different with his edges, but I dunno.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Jaybo-Petro
Jackman-Shatty
Cole-Polak

?
Yes.

It's easy to look at a couple plays and compare them to several games worth of recent memory. Berglund has never been fast, but I don't think he's slower now. If anything, we're just seeing him surrounded by faster guys in Schwartz, Tarasenko, Roy, Paajarvi, and now Oshie looks faster than he ever has with a fully-healed ankle.

If there's a particular player who seems slower this year to me, it's Steen. Not all the time, but there have been several occasions at the beginning or middle of a shift when he looks like he's running in mud. Could just be that he's doing something different with his edges, but I dunno.
That's a good point and something I haven't really thought of. I still think he's fairly quick, and his game is as good as ever, but his top end speed isn't as fast. He can still get to pucks because of his hustle, but I do wonder if it's because he added a few pounds of muscle this summer. I think I remember hearing about him doing that, and he IS listed at 210 pounds on the Blues site now where as in the past he was always 205. Just a thought.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Looking forward to this one. Should be a good early test for the Blues.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

Maybe you're right but when I think back to past years (before last year) I never really thought about how slow or lazy Berglund looked, and now it seems to become a regular thought process.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Maybe you're right but when I think back to past years (before last year) I never really thought about how slow or lazy Berglund looked, and now it seems to become a regular thought process.

I have never thought Berglund looked lazy, even on his slowest play.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

That probably has something to do with the fact that he has been pretty lackluster this year. So it seems safe to assume given the amount of games we have seen him play this year, that less speed is more than likely a contributing factor.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Should be a good test against one of the best teams from the east, lokking forward to the game and I hope they play a full 60 minutes in this one unlike last game.

Let's go Blues! :bb:

BretterThanYou

Sep 17, 2006
Collinsville IL
Didn't see it mentioned but Neal is in for Pittsburgh.

Per Rutherford:

"Blues starters are listed as Reaves-Lapierre-Stewart"

He also says it may just be a one shift thing.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Berglund definitely has his feet moving tonight. It's also nice to see Shatty creating chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad