Speculation: St.Louis Blues right side defense

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Petry (5.5) and Drouin (5.5)
For
Parayko (5.5), Steen (cap dump) (5.75), 1st 2020

Drouin in top six has space, Petry helps with two-way offense, just missing Parayko's size and shot.

Parayko learns from Weber. Steen does...something other than distract the team and media.

MTL gets pick for taking Steen.

Im not sure ive ever read a good trade offer from montreal fans.

But that is disgustingly bad

Reactions: blues hillbilly

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's crazy how many people freak out cause they have three right handed defensemen. Like "oh my god you can't do that it has to be 3 lefties and 3 righties or it won't work"

:thumbd:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
It's crazy how many people freak out cause they have three right handed defensemen. Like "oh my god you can't do that it has to be 3 lefties and 3 righties or it won't work"

Have you ever played defense? I only played in to my teens, but I can tell you that even at that level, playing your "off" side really is a disadvantage. I am sure anyone who has played the game will back me up here. I am not saying it is insurmountable, but it certainly throws you off, and in a playoff situation where a goal decides a game, you really want to give your players the maximum opportunity to succeed. I agree there is no reason to "freak out", but it really is important.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Have you ever played defense? I only played in to my teens, but I can tell you that even at that level, playing your "off" side really is a disadvantage. I am sure anyone who has played the game will back me up here. I am not saying it is insurmountable, but it certainly throws you off, and in a playoff situation where a goal decides a game, you really want to give your players the maximum opportunity to succeed. I agree there is no reason to "freak out", but it really is important.
Love ya Blues brother but I'll disagree. I was actually more comfortable on my off-side. I know that is weird, but I was a righty that always played better on my left side. A lot of it had to do with crossing over for a hip check and I was much more explosive going left than right.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Love ya Blues brother but I'll disagree. I was actually more comfortable on my off-side. I know that is weird, but I was a righty that always played better on my left side. A lot of it had to do with crossing over for a hip check and I was much more explosive going left than right.
No worries. Good discussion is why HF is the best hockey forum there is! I remember being obliterated by a hip check that sent me flying. I was watching my pass and didn't even see him. :eyeroll: My only question is, didn't crossing over to make a hip check take you out of position? If I did that, especially if my partner didn't cover me, my coach would have reamed me! I also found that playing my offside interfered with my outlet passing. I would have to shift over to make the pass, otherwise I was on my backhand. It also screwed up my stick checks, because I had to awkwardly reach over my body. It is a lot more difficult to poke check on your off side for that reason, unless you are 6'8" and have an extra long stick. :laugh: I get your point, though. Your "handedness" doesn't have to dictate what side you play.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
they run with the 3 on the right side and lose pietrangelo to UFA

The other option is they sign Pietrangelo and trade Faulk. Some team will like the offensive Faulk, his contract especially if has good season. That would be real win by the Blues in their Carolina trade.
Besides UFA Pietrangelo, RFA Dunn is due for new contract.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
No worries. Good discussion is why HF is the best hockey forum there is!

I always thought the biggest deficiency a Dman has playing on the "wrong side" is when he has to chase a puck into his corner. He can't slam the puck off the boards out to the blue line. He either has to try a weaker backhand against the boards, or fore hand around the back of the net. His back is the forechecker, another disadvantage.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
No worries. Good discussion is why HF is the best hockey forum there is! I remember being obliterated by a hip check that sent me flying. I was watching my pass and didn't even see him. :eyeroll: My only question is, didn't crossing over to make a hip check take you out of position? If I did that, especially if my partner didn't cover me, my coach would have reamed me! I also found that playing my offside interfered with my outlet passing. I would have to shift over to make the pass, otherwise I was on my backhand. It also screwed up my stick checks, because I had to awkwardly reach over my body. It is a lot more difficult to poke check on your off side for that reason, unless you are 6'8" and have an extra long stick. :laugh: I get your point, though. Your "handedness" doesn't have to dictate what side you play.
I meant the cross over with my legs to accelerate/power into a hip check, not crossing over to the other side of the ice.

Reactions: simon IC

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Switching sides is difficult primarily along the boards. It can cause you to turn your back to the play. If you are good on your backhand, a good bit of that can be mitigated.

Reactions: stl76

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Petry (5.5) and Drouin (5.5)
For
Parayko (5.5), Steen (cap dump) (5.75), 1st 2020

Drouin in top six has space, Petry helps with two-way offense, just missing Parayko's size and shot.

Parayko learns from Weber. Steen does...something other than distract the team and media.

MTL gets pick for taking Steen.

I wouldn’t trade Parayko for Drouin + 1st. Parayko is a top 5 Dman in the league. People just realize it yet because he doesn’t put up big points. He’s just an all around beast. I’d take him over Petro all day long and this isnt a knock on Petro at all.

Reactions: blues hillbilly

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

RD playing on the left usually loses a bunch of defensive effectiveness and you're basically paying premium for a lesser player. It's not as bad with LDs playing on the right since there's a surplus of LDs and some inevitably came up playing on the right in juniors but in most cases still not optimal for receiving passes, clearing the zone, breakouts, defending against the rush etc.

Why pay 6.5 mil for a 4 million dollar caliber performance?

RckyMtnBlue

Feb 28, 2014
Blues will be able to keep Petro but if his price is too high we can let him walk, Colt55 steps up as the #1RD, Faulk #2RD. Sure Faulk is not Petro but like others have said Colt55 is a stud. After next season we shed some big contracts Steen/Allen. Schwartz is also up and my guess is by then Kostin, Kyrou are top6 and Schwartz walks. Then the expansion draft we could make Faulk available and protect Petro, Colt55, Dunn.

Also the Blues want no part of Laine.....would not fit our team at all. Very good offensive talent but from what I've seen I would want no part of that headache.

The Blues don't have many for sure prospects on D right now so I really think Army saw a chance to get a good player (all star) to make his team better and we can deal with the 3 RD's during the season. Another positive is we had a very short off season so we can really balance minutes for at least the 1st half of the season and keep our top D Fresh which is a huge bonus. I don't really think this trade has anything to do with 27 or surely doesn't mean 27 is gone but its nice insurance at least.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
RD playing on the left usually loses a bunch of defensive effectiveness and you're basically paying premium for a lesser player. It's not as bad with LDs playing on the right since there's a surplus of LDs and some inevitably came up playing on the right in juniors but in most cases still not optimal for receiving passes, clearing the zone, breakouts, defending against the rush etc.

Why pay 6.5 mil for a 4 million dollar caliber performance?
I'm pretty sure the Blues defense will be just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad