Speculation: St.Louis Blues right side defense

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No source or anything but just an observation;

Faulk added at 6.5M x7 yrs
Parayko has 3 at 5.5M

Pietranelo is UFA after this season, even if they re-sign Pietrangelo that is going to be a HEAVY hit on the cap on the right side of St.Louis.

Do they roll with it this year and decide between Pietrangelo and Parayko this off-season or do they make a move ahead / during the season?

*Edit* Not to mention Bortuzzo under contract, a solid 3rd pairing guy.

Reactions: BHD

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Could a move around Pietrangelo and Laine make sense for both teams? Winnipeg could use a #1 to replace Buff. Blues weaken d corps to strengthen forward group?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I’d rather not lose Pietro for Justin Faulk. There has to be another moving piece eventually. I’d imagine Schenn won’t be back after this season.

Schenn could be an expensive piece to retain but 1/3 of Faulk, Pietrangelo or Parayko have to be moving you'd figure. I mean, okay sure Bortuzzo could move but doesn't solve the $$ on the right side problem.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't looked too far into it, but noticing that Jay-Bo and Schenn can be let go at the end of the year, it's possible that they have enough $$ to lock up Dunn and resign Pietrangelo.

It's 3 big money RHD, sure, but Faulk adds a PP element that St. Louis needs. He can be valuable in a sheltered Shattenkirk type of role. In Carolina Faulk was more redundant because they had 3 big RHD AND another PP ace in Hamilton.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Could a move around Pietrangelo and Laine make sense for both teams? Winnipeg could use a #1 to replace Buff. Blues weaken d corps to strengthen forward group?

That would be a nice trade if Pietrangelo is willing to sign an extension in Winnipeg.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Schenn could be an expensive piece to retain but 1/3 of Faulk, Pietrangelo or Parayko have to be moving you'd figure. I mean, okay sure Bortuzzo could move but doesn't solve the $$ on the right side problem.

I think Faulk is mainly brought in to try and help the powerplay. There are times when Pietro and Parayko are on the ice together anyways. I think before jumping to conclusions we need to see pairings and usages for an extended look next season.

We can replace Schenn. We can’t replaxe Pietro, it would also decimate us if Parayko leaves after his current contract.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That would be a nice trade if Pietrangelo is willing to sign an extension in Winnipeg.

Sorry, yes. The assumption is that Pietrangelo would be in Winnipeg for a while. He would not be a rental.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Maybe they asked Pietrangelo about the cost of an extension and decided they couldn't afford it.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Gonna make for some great discussion this year. Either all RD stay beyond this year with potentially J-Bouw and Schenn leaving. If I was a Blues fan I'd prefer that instead of losing AP27. That'd be terrible. Their prospects on D are thin so something's gotta give. Has a team ever succeeded with three, big-money RD guys? My memory alludes me.

We'll find out though, atleast they already have the holy grail.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Faulk is mainly brought in to try and help the powerplay. There are times when Pietro and Parayko are on the ice together anyways. I think before jumping to conclusions we need to see pairings and usages for an extended look next season.

We can replace Schenn. We can’t replaxe Pietro, it would also decimate us if Parayko leaves after his current contract.

Yeah for sure, I am just trying to read the tea leaves a bit, just seems like there is a massive surplus.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Maybe they asked Pietrangelo about the cost of an extension and decided they couldn't afford it.
Could definitely be a solid assumption. Lots of people feel that's the only thing that makes sense, especially with him being UFA after this year, and winning a cup with his drafted team.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Do they roll with it this year and decide between Pietrangelo and Parayko this off-season or do they make a move ahead / during the season?

If St Louis tries to move Parayko/Pietro/Faulk during this season, they'd be making a mistake IMO. They should try to go for another Cup, and adding Faulk improves their chances greatly.

After the season, they expose Bozak and Steen in expansion, and buy out the one that wasn't picked. Replace them with Kyrou and Kostin who are knocking on the door. Bouwmeester likely retires, cap goes up a bit. Should give them enough space to try and keep both Schenn and Pietro.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If St Louis tries to move Parayko/Pietro/Faulk during this season, they'd be making a mistake IMO. They should try to go for another Cup, and adding Faulk improves their chances greatly.

After the season, they expose Bozak and Steen in expansion, and buy out the one that wasn't picked. Replace them with Kyrou and Kostin who are knocking on the door. Bouwmeester likely retires, cap goes up a bit. Should give them enough space to try and keep both Schenn and Pietro.

What's Pietrangelo's deal shaping up to be?

7-8 yrs at 9M?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I wouldn't be jumping to any conclusions regarding Pietrangelo.

According to Friedman during last season, we were very close to getting Hamilton before he was moved to Carolina. So this would appear to be consistent with the vision of the team that Armstrong when Pietrangelo had 2+ years on his deal.

Equally, if the extension talks were so bad with Pietrangelo and we're making a move like this then we'd all have heard about it.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
With the expansion draft next summer, I am not really worried about it.

If we sign Pie, then we expose Faulk. He will likely be the best dman available in the expansion draft

If Pie is wanting crazy money, then we can let him walk. It would hurt, but we would still be very solid on the right side. If this improves are d, then this season it is worth it.

Reactions: stl76 and 67Blues

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Cant they just move Allen and maybe Bozak and have more than enough to re-sign Pietro and Schenn?

I guess it comes down to is it smart to pay a bottom pair rhd 6.5, if Faulk does end up playing in that bottom pair spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->