Speculation: St.Louis Blues right side defense

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
What's Pietrangelo's deal shaping up to be?

7-8 yrs at 9M?

Sounds about right. I'd use OEL's contract as a comparable, which is 8.25M cap hit, so I'd say at least 8.5M for Pietrangelo. In other words, 2M - 2.5M raise.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
yup. either pie gets traded now, at the deadline or he's kept for this season only. the latter seems the most likely

I don’t really think it’s that black and white. If one of the 3 is comfortable on the right it helps us a whole hell of a lot more than having to take ice time from one of the 3. First pairing LD has been our only hole outside of goaltending for a while

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
It could have been just lip service but Armstrong did seem willing to keep Shatty but Shatty really wanted to go to the NYR. So I don't feel this move with Faulk is any sort of indicator on whether Petro wants to move on. Petro has earned the right to move on if he chooses but finding the cap space isn't going to be that big of a deal and I don't think having all three of them on the right side is anything out of the norm for Armstrong.

Reactions: CCBC

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
As a Ducks fan, I have some interest in Bortuzzo. Could any Blues fans comment on where they expect him to slot in now that Faulk has been added? Could Bortuzzo potentially be available?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
As a Ducks fan, I have some interest in Bortuzzo. Could any Blues fans comment on where they expect him to slot in now that Faulk has been added? Could Bortuzzo potentially be available?
No reason to move him. He's cheap and can play either side. He'll be the 7th, and he'll get playing time given the amount of time that Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester have missed in the last couple of seasons.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
They will keep Pietro and trade somebody else. He was real good for them in their cup run. I wouldnt let him go.

Reactions: TK 421

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's like former Jets defence.

Faulk = Byfuglien (1st PP QB)
Pietro = Trouba (Shutdown 1st D)
Parayko = Myers

Better than Jets trio ever was.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sounds about right. I'd use OEL's contract as a comparable, which is 8.25M cap hit, so I'd say at least 8.5M for Pietrangelo. In other words, 2M - 2.5M raise.
Think he’s more between the OEL/Carlson $8.25 range and the doughty/EK range of $11. I’d bet $9.5 to $10 for him.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I’d rather not lose Pietro for Justin Faulk. There has to be another moving piece eventually. I’d imagine Schenn won’t be back after this season.

I agree with that, Schenn leaving and Pietrangelo getting the money. I mean nobody on the Blues has earned the raise more than he has. Plus St. Louis is now his home.

I can see Schenn testing the market and getting a stupid contract thrown at him by another team.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Petro will be resigned and Schenn will walk. Thomas moves into Schenn's spot at C and either Kyrou or Kostin will take the open spot on the wing. Its really not complicated.

If the Blues need to cut salary they make sure to lose Faulk to Seattle.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't think that the Blues would be moving on with Pietrangelo, I think they'd prefer to just have Parayko or Faulk as the LD instead. My guess is this is more of Bouwmeester's replacement than Pietrangelo leaving. Yes, I know that Faulk and Bouwmeester aren't necessarily the same caliber of player in terms of defense but I think the Blues wanted to capitalize on getting a player that was available in the market. We'll see what happens but my guess is a top 4 of Dunn - Pietrangelo/Faulk-Parayko in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Shwabeal

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
Completely understand

Although I guess Laine couldn't light the Blues up anymore if he were on the team :thumbu:.

It just seems that with Tarasenko, Laine would be a luxury that I don't think would be worth the hit we'd take to our D. Armstrong has built the Blues through the D ranks and I think the latest Faulk deal is meant to double down on that approach. Moving Parayko would be a big step backwards in that regard.

Reactions: BatVader

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Although I guess Laine couldn't light the Blues up anymore if he were on the team :thumbu:.

It just seems that with Tarasenko, Laine would be a luxury that I don't think would be worth the hit we'd take to our D. Armstrong has built the Blues through the D ranks and I think the latest Faulk deal is meant to double down on that approach. Moving Parayko would be a big step backwards in that regard.
Wrong he can score pretty well on his own team too :laugh:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Just because you can play your 1st and 2nd pair RD 20 min a night EV doesn't mean you have to.

Also, if you have enough confidence in one of those guys to carry a weaker (cheaper) partner, it makes no difference if that cap slot is on the 3rd pairing instead.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
I think Faulk is mainly brought in to try and help the powerplay.
I know I'm picking off your post but the term and the AAV are so heavy. Not sure if any GM would trade for it before Pietrangelo's new contract is due. Otherwise, yeah, the contract has no NTC so it's an obvious expose to the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad