Speculation: St.Louis Blues right side defense

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Well, Armstrong said Faulk accepted a number that would give them a chance to keep the band together moving forward.

So im assuming they've ran the numbers and have a plan in place, like you usually do. At first glance, i think it's doable, they have multiple impending UFA's (in 2021) next summer making significant salary, and one of them could end up dumped somewhere or even bought out. Factor in cap going up by a bit (say, 83M) and couple bridges to RFA's.

I think they just want to have the D as a strength of the team. There's no rule in place that you couldn't have a really strong side on D.

#1D's don't usually walk away from a team they won the cup with, so i wouldn't be concerned about Petro walking.

If they don't re-sign Schenn and deem Thomas to be ready at that time for that C role, then there's no issue at all.

Last edited:

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
Well, Armstrong said Faulk accepted a number that would give them a chance to keep the band together moving forward.

So im assuming they've ran the numbers and have a plan in place, like you usually do. At first glance, i think it's doable, they have multiple impending UFA's (in 2021) next summer making significant salary, and one of them could end up dumped somewhere or even bought out. Factor in cap going up by a bit (say, 83M) and couple bridges to RFA's.

I think they just want to have the D as a strength of the team. There's no rule in place that you couldn't have a really strong side on D.

#1D's don't usually walk away from a team they won the cup with, so i wouldn't be concerned about Petro walking.

If they don't re-sign Schenn and deem Thomas to be ready at that time for that C role, then there's no issue at all.
The issue would be whether you have to many of your eggs in one basket more than whether you can make if work.

With Petro and Parayko Faulk is probably not the right fit for that trade and contract. I think the Blues have to think they are losing somebody on that side.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
The issue would be whether you have to many of your eggs in one basket more than whether you can make if work.

With Petro and Parayko Faulk is probably not the right fit for that trade and contract. I think the Blues have to think they are losing somebody on that side.

There’s also a possibility that there is a plan to play one on an offside periodically throughout the game or as a mainstay to spread minutes. We’ve been lacking a true top pair guy in the left side for a while. There’s a possibility that the plan is to shuffle two of them out together.

What I’m confused about is does this mean we are limiting Paraykos power play time? I thought they were wanting him to be a trigger on the pp.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Once Parayko gets an extension on his current deal, but that's no till 22-23.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The Blues are paying just over $16M this year for their 3 best defensemen. Next year, assuming they re-sign Petro for $9M-ish, they will be paying $21M for their Top 3 D. That's less than TOR will be paying two forwards (Matthews and Tavares) and the same as CHI will be paying two forwards (Toews and Kane). The Sharks are paying $19.5M for their Top 2 D (Karlsson and Burns, $26.5M for their Top 3 when you include Vlasic) and they're both righties.

Until we see how these three (Petro, Parayko, Faulk) are utilized, there really isn't any point in hand wringing over the fact that they all shoot right.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
they run with the 3 on the right side and lose pietrangelo to UFA

The Blues have great young forwards ready to step up. They have no defense prospects. They won't let Pietrangelo go. One of the 3 will end up playing on the left side.

If anyone walks next summer it will be Schenn because they can afford to lose him with Thomas showing he can take that 2nd C role, and with Kyrou and Kostin right behind him. And that will open up the money for Pietrangelo.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Cant they just move Allen and maybe Bozak and have more than enough to re-sign Pietro and Schenn?

I guess it comes down to is it smart to pay a bottom pair rhd 6.5, if Faulk does end up playing in that bottom pair spot.

Yep. They can.

Reactions: 67Blues

TJJefferson

Jun 7, 2019
I don't see any problem. This allows us to roll 3 amazing D pairings, or its easy to move Faulk over to the left side so he can tee it up, a bit of extra offense on a shift. I assume he'll play on the left side on the PP as a no brainer, so teams have to account for his shot.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
We've desperately needed someone with a big shot who is willing to take it. No one ever one-times the puck on the powerplay. If they do, it's someone like Steen who is still looking to score his first goal off one. About the only "weakness" on the Blues now is we'd prefer one of our top 3 right handed D-men to shoot left.

Normally, I'm all for trading an asset rather than risking getting nothing back. But, with this team... you can afford to lose an asset, for a better shot at the cup, and still have assets to spare. Pietrangelo is making 6.5 this season. Tarasenko is our highest paid guy at 7.5 a a season. You have players who are nearly rookies who haven't put up anything close to the aforementioned to warrant big bucks, and they're getting over 10 million a season.

The rest of the western conference is screwed, barring injuries.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This was the first thing that popped into my head when i saw the deal for Faulk, with immediate follow-up extension. It feels like posturing to likely lose Pietrangelo to UFA after this season.

They're in a weird spot, where they're Stanley Cup champs and bringing their team back this year...but have a couple huge pieces hanging as looming UFAs. Seems like they're going all in on trying to go back-to-back, while they still have some of the value deals and still have all the pieces in place. Good luck avoiding that Cup hangover i guess...but Armstrong has clearly outlined that this is one of the moves designed to try to offset that.

Even "managing minutes" though...i'm not sure you can keep all three of Petro/Parakyo/Faulk happy on that RHD in terms of minutes and role. These are all guys who are able to carry a lot of water, and they're all going to want to. Is there even enough to go around?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If St Louis tries to move Parayko/Pietro/Faulk during this season, they'd be making a mistake IMO. They should try to go for another Cup, and adding Faulk improves their chances greatly.

After the season, they expose Bozak and Steen in expansion, and buy out the one that wasn't picked. Replace them with Kyrou and Kostin who are knocking on the door. Bouwmeester likely retires, cap goes up a bit. Should give them enough space to try and keep both Schenn and Pietro.
Expansion is 2021 not 2020.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Expansion is 2021 not 2020.

You are right, thank you for correcting me.

Which means that instead of expansion, the contracts may need to be traded/bought out, depending on the cap movement. That's harder, but since both guys I named as prime candidates for cap relief have lower salary in the last year compared to cap hit, might not be too hard. We'll see I guess.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
There’s also a possibility that there is a plan to play one on an offside periodically throughout the game or as a mainstay to spread minutes. We’ve been lacking a true top pair guy in the left side for a while. There’s a possibility that the plan is to shuffle two of them out together.

What I’m confused about is does this mean we are limiting Paraykos power play time? I thought they were wanting him to be a trigger on the pp.

Parayko has a killer shot but he hasn't been able to utilize it so often lately. Guess teams have adjusted. He's not really ideal on the pp. Dunn is the guy who could run the pp but he still needs to round out his game.

I agree with others that one of our righties will end up playing they left side or they'll at least try some different combinations. Wonder if Petro would be the guy. He's such a smart, solid all around player, maybe he could make the adjustment easier than the other two. Will be interesting to see what happens, no doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad