St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Blues are a pretty attractive job. There's still a lot of good pieces, both in terms of young vets (Tarasenko, ROR, Schwartz, Schenn, Fabbri, Petro, Parayko), and youngsters (Thomas, Kyrou, Dunn). They've been killed by poor goaltending and bad coaching. Q fixes the latter.

I'd much rather have that job than LA or Anaheim.

If they call Q, he can ask the big question:

What is your plan in goal?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’d rather have the Blues pick this year. Get to 11th guys. You can do it.

Actually the most exciting scenario would be them finishing 10th and someone behind them winning a top 3 spot to push the pick to 11.

In a perfect world we get those lotto results in between periods of a Sabres playoff game

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The SJ pick has a very good chance of being in that 28-31 range.

I don't see who's going to beat them in the playoffs until the conference finals.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
As soon as Quennville takes another job, he loses the 6.5m paycheck he's getting from the Blackhawks. He's also being paid next year as well.

Pretty sure he still gets his 6.5 if he starts coaching. The only change would be that Chicago would only be on the hook for the difference in salary, if his new team gave a lesser salary than what Qhad for this year.

Found this:

On Friday, TSN’s Pierre LeBrun shed some light on how Quenneville’s current compensation might be affected if he was to take a new coaching gig.
We know that he makes $6 million a year this year and next and there is an offset provision in the NHL rules where when a coach gets hired by another team, they have to figure out the difference with his former team. This is pretty important when it comes to this situation. The Chicago Blackhawks aren’t going to pay the majority of his salary for him to go find a job somewhere else. It has to be the right fit. But also, it has to be a team that can afford to pay a big part of that salary that remains on that contract.
Interested teams then have a decision to make, but for one looking a rare opportunity to land a coach of Quenneville’s ilk, it’s just the cost of doing business.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The SJ pick has a very good chance of being in that 28-31 range.

I don't see who's going to beat them in the playoffs until the conference finals.
And I'd be ok with that. Of course, I am hoping for an end of season implosion and 1st round exit for them too :D

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I’d rather have the Blues pick this year. Get to 11th guys. You can do it.

Actually the most exciting scenario would be them finishing 10th and someone behind them winning a top 3 spot to push the pick to 11.

How about the scenario of them finishing 11th and winning the lottery and getting Hughes or Kakko for next year? :(

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
I can't help but want both picks to be deferred to 2020, just for that chance at two picks in the top 3.

I can only imagine the look on Bettman's face having to announce that draft line up during a Sabres ECF game...

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I can't help but want both picks to be deferred to 2020, just for that chance at two picks in the top 3.

I can only imagine the look on Bettman's face having to announce that draft line up during a Sabres ECF game...

This is eerily reminiscent to when an absurd number of Sabres fans didn't want the Islanders to give us the #5 pick because they thought the Isles would be even worse the next season, and we'd have two chances at McDavid and Eichel.

Fortunes turn quickly in the NHL. I don't want to give STL a full offseason to address their goaltending - Sabres fans should understand the difference an offseason of crease change can make - and coaching. I want that pick in 2019, ideally in the 11-13 range. Let's not get greedy here.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I wonder if the blue pick 5th or later and fire Armstrong if the new GM doesn’t try to just cut his losses and let us take the pick this year. Because if a new GM comes in, and sends away a 2020 pick that potentially becomes a #1 overall pick, they’d basically be doing what Ottawa is doing.

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
This is eerily reminiscent to when an absurd number of Sabres fans didn't want the Islanders to give us the #5 pick because they thought the Isles would be even worse the next season, and we'd have two chances at McDavid and Eichel.

Fortunes turn quickly in the NHL. I don't want to give STL a full offseason to address their goaltending - Sabres fans should understand the difference an offseason of crease change can make - and coaching. I want that pick in 2019, ideally in the 11-13 range. Let's not get greedy here.

Don't get me wrong. I understand I'm being illogical, but why can't you just let me dream?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zip15

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Hopefully the Blues trade ROR soon so we don't have to worry as much about the pick ending up top 10

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
At this point we can start to forget about having 3 1sts this year...but that is fine if it means a St.Louis 2020 unprotected 1st. It keeps them in limbo of having to forcefully keep Armstrong.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It will be fascinating to see what they do at the deadline if they’re out of it. And the offseason.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I prefer to have 1 of the 2 defer to 2020 for different reasons...

1. they would have a 1st if they wanted to deadline shop
2. they could use the 1st to protect their roster or improve it in the expansion draft by getting Seattle to take KO

The issue in 2014 was more along the lines of if the Isles wanted to risk giving up McDavid so they could have given up the top 10 protected pick.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Blues upcoming schedule is Preds, Jets and a three game road trip.

I may be waiting less than two weeks

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
if we get 2 picks in the 1st what are the chances of trading up into the top 5?

Well we are almost assuredly getting 2 1sts this year via San Jose. Almost no chance they miss the playoffs. As for the second question no chance 2 picks in the 20-31 range bring back a top 5 pick. 8-13 maybe.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
if we get 2 picks in the 1st what are the chances of trading up into the top 5?
No, just no.
We keep the picks, we will need to continue to stock the pipeline. Those ELC's will help offset the cap situation 3, 4, 5 yrs down the road.
Not only do we keep the picks, but as guys like Scandella are moved, you acquire further assets for them, either picks, targeted roster rdy players or a combo of both in larger deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad