St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'd have no problem trading a 1st for a rental if we are in position to make a push for the playoffs.

Yes we arent going to make noise in playoffs but just getting there is badly needed for a lot of the players on this team. They need to experience this
Wasting a pick when we arent contenders but just to make the playoffs is horrible asset management.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Wasting a pick when we arent contenders but just to make the playoffs is horrible asset management.

If you were a team that bounced in and out of the playoffs the last few years and were the definition of mediocrity I would agree. But this is a team that is full of losers and bottom dwellers ... just making the playoffs would be a huge boom to the confidence of the players, organization and city. It's a no brainer.

The experienced gained for players like Risto, Jack, Sam, Dahlin would be huge down the road...

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If you were a team that bounced in and out of the playoffs the last few years and were the definition of mediocrity I would agree. But this is a team that is full of losers and bottom dwellers ... just making the playoffs would be a huge boom to the confidence of the players, organization and city. It's a no brainer.

The experienced gained for players like Risto, Jack, Sam, Dahlin would be huge down the road...

I'd rather see this team grow together and make the playoffs than draft the next mark pysyk. But I don't wanna trade for the next brad Boyes either. But i dont wanna miss out on the next barzal. Like I said depends on the player and circumstances. But I agree with your mindset of having an open mind and not continuing to bet on magic beans draft picks.

This debate could go on forever and never have a resolution because SOME player will be drafted with or after our late first rounder we traded that will be better than the player we aquire so there will always be an out for posters against it.

Reactions: Beerz

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Blues beat the Sharks 4-0 with a shutout by The Chad. Might be turning their season around enough to get into that 11-15 range?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Blues sit alone in 30th place. Gonna need you to win those games in hand you have...at least make a show out of a run out of the top 10 before it’s too late.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Teams without RoR find success way more often than teams with him.
Colorado had the same number of wins the year before and after they traded him. And the year after that they were god awful. The Sabres record got wayyyy better when they acquired him.

There is this weird narrative going around that says all of his teammates catch his "loser disease" immediately after he joins a team. Not only is it a false narrative because it's crazy talk, it's not even supported by the majority of team's records he's been traded to.

Edit: Made a dumb error.

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Colorado had the same number of wins the year before and after they traded him. And the year after that they were god awful. The Sabres record got wayyyy better when they acquired him.

There is this weird narrative going around that says all of his teammates catch his "loser disease" immediately after he joins a team. Not only is it a false narrative because it's crazy talk, it's not even supported by the majority of team's records he's been traded to.

Edit: Made a dumb error.
I mean, he was hardly the only addition to the previous season's godawful lineup. We also added Jack, Sam, Kane, and 3/4ths of a year of Bogo to a roster who's previous leading scorer was Tyler Ennis with a whopping 46 points. ROR definitely helped, but he wasn't the only factor to the 15-16 team's overall improvement.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I mean, he was hardly the only addition to the previous season's godawful lineup. We also added Jack, Sam, Kane, and 3/4ths of a year of Bogo to a roster who's previous leading scorer was Tyler Ennis with a whopping 46 points. ROR definitely helped, but he wasn't the only factor to the 15-16 team's overall improvement.
And he was hardly the only change from last season's god awful lineup. Nor was he the only change to the Blues rosters. Let's not forget they replaced Carter Hutton with Chad Johnson.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
That's exactly my point...

Reactions: sabrebuild

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It’s almost like facts don’t exist when defending an untenable position.
At this point ROR-trade supporters and ROR-trade iconoclasts may as well be Democrats vs Republicans or Hatfields vs McCoy's. There's no changing a single person on this board's mind about it at this point, but round and round the merry-go-round we all go.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There's also no reason to lie to ourselves that off-ice factors might not have been worth a trade with a poor return. We don't know, but there's enough smoke to reasonably believe it might have been justifiable. I can be unhappy with the on-ice results and still think it might have been worth it. Some people love to think they literally know it all...on either side.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Everything is so close and it is still very early.

Pulling for Blues losses now, not because I want their 2020 pick, but because they will start winning sooner or later and I am hoping it is too late for playoffs for them by then

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Everything is so close and it is still very early.

Pulling for Blues losses now, not because I want their 2020 pick, but because they will start winning sooner or later and I am hoping it is too late for playoffs for them by then

Yup they won't stay in the bottom 3.

Let's hope they keep losing for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad