St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
i'd just be happy to be in the teens rather than the high 20s. So i'm really just rooting for Dallas.

I still remember Tim Murray packaging all 3 of our 2nd round picks one year just to move up around 10 spots in the late first round and no team would take it.

NHL picks are different than NFL. The value decreases far more exponentially as you move higher and higher up the board.
Wasn't that to try and get Larkin? That woulda been nice

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
O'Reilly has been downright bad against Dallas. In 5 games he has 0 goals and 4 assists (-2). St Louis fans are speculating that he is injured. He is averaging 22 minutes a game, but doesn't stack up against better competition.

ROR has had a very good, steady year. He deserves the praise he receives, but he shouldn't be immune from criticism.

Why the Blues need more from Ryan O’Reilly
I like ROR and think he's a 1C, but he's definitely not a 1C that can shutdown an entire elite line like the Stars' and still be effective offensively. The stronger the teams get and the longer they play, the worse his results were likely going to be.

He was our 2C just a year ago :(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be in Dallas tomorrow, cheering for the pick. I'm wearing my St. Patrick's day Sabres hoodie to rep the team while blending in with the crowd on a surface level.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Ah the good old days when we finished * squints* last.
This has been the back and forth endlessly, so I won't indulge again.

But every time I need a laugh, I go read your posts on this trade from throughout the summer and early this season. It's pure comedic gold.

Also, it's painful that this needs to be said, but it's f***ing dumb to associate the record of a team with one player, and a new slightly better record (complete with historic collapse) of a team that made 10 other moves in the offseason, with the absence of said player, who is a Selke finalist and still playing in the playoffs right now. The utter thickness and obtuseness of that argument is simply baffling. You can take this thought process and apply it to Ryan with his current team, which without him was out of the playoffs last year, and with him is one of 7 teams still playing. Doing this completely contradicts the conclusion of that train of logic with the very same player, which suggests it's an awful premise, as anyone with an ounce of ability to analyze hockey understands.

But I know that basing oneself in any sort of reality has always been on the back burner for people that adopted the pro-Jason side of that whole debacle.

Whoops, I indulged

It's almost like you can appreciate parts of your roster even when your team is bad, and recognize what is good and what needs to be improved, and uniform paint-brushing over a whole iteration of a team based on its record is Pejorative Slured

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

But every time I need a laugh, I go read your posts on this trade from throughout the summer and early this season. It's pure comedic gold.

Also, it's painful that this needs to be said, but it's ****ing dumb to associate the record of a team with one player, and a new slightly better record (complete with historic collapse) of a team that made 10 other moves in the offseason, with the absence of said player, who is a Selke finalist and still playing in the playoffs right now. The utter thickness and obtuseness of that argument is simply baffling. You can take this thought process and apply it to Ryan with his current team, which without him was out of the playoffs last year, and with him is one of 7 teams still playing. Doing this completely contradicts the conclusion of that train of logic with the very same player, which suggests it's an awful premise, as anyone with an ounce of ability to analyze hockey understands.

But I know that basing oneself in any sort of reality has always been on the back burner for people that adopted the pro-Jason side of that whole debacle.

Whoops, I indulged

It's almost like you can appreciate parts of your roster even when your team is bad, and recognize what is good and what needs to be improved, and uniform paint-brushing over a whole iteration of a team based on its record is ******ed
I mean he went to a team that consistently won around 45+ games that's exactly what they did with him. He's no difference maker.

He is a good player and would have helped our roster I believe but the facts are with or without him St Louis was a good team and the Sabres were a bad team.

That said, the trade still sucks.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It basically comes down to how long Bishop can carry the Stars for.

Well Bishop is a top tier goalie and at times can be elite/dominant. It was a great pickup by Dallas signing a top 10 goalie for under 5 mil. Going from Lehtonen to Bishop while SAVING money is just incredible.

Investing in goalies is something that is coming back around. Rask, Bobrovsky, Varlamov, Bishop, Jones all still playing and all top tier goalies. Binnington is the new Marty Turco. Lehner was a Vezina finalist. All the remaining playoff teams have great goalies (read:not cheap). I am all for signing Bob or Varlamov this summer.

We need to stop cheaping out in net. And no Lehner doesn't count since his contract was not deserved. I'd gladly give Bob 7 x 7 or Varlamov 6 mil per. Hutton showed he cannot carry the load and Ullmark looks more like a great backup/1B goalie.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I mean he went to a team that consistently won around 45+ games that's exactly what they did with him. He's no difference maker.

He is a good player and would have helped our roster I believe but the facts are with or without him St Louis was a good team and the Sabres were a bad team.

That said, the trade still sucks.
First, I definitely came off way too strong in that post, and I shouldn't have lashed like that, and am not really sure why I did. It just astounds me sometimes - not that people were wrong (he was one of the "ROR's cancer is tanking the St. Louis franchise and that's the reason they're bad" posters), we're all wrong all the time - but that in this case they're so willing to dip back into that well after what has transpired over the last 5 months. It's amazing to watch play out.

But the content of my post is outlining that the bold is so simplistic that it's useless as far as analysis goes. Because again, a team that couldn't get in has won a series using the same player and same metric (team success). If a logical framework meant to describe a player literally completely inverts when applied to that SAME PLAYER's next season, using team success as a barometer in a season where he has many Selke votes and will get a few Hart votes as well, it's useless. End of story. Proof by contradiction. There's nothing else to be said for that line of reasoning.

Because even if not intentional (and it was for much of the year) it is implied in the statement that "ROR didn't matter because the team was bad" that it's bad in part because of him, and that our improvement without him is because he's gone.
2C3Cpointprojections.PNG

This is a plot I made of every team's center spine behind their top line and above their fourth, normalizing and combining its production. Call me crazy, but our lukewarm improvement (that really isn't improvement considering that our 10 game streak was followed by 60 games of indistinguishable play from the previous year despite better goaltending, and that streak itself was propped up by goalies saving a full goal per game better than the previous years', in a stretch where we only had 3 non-OT wins in 16 games anyway - ie, with last year's goaltending early in the season instead of that we got, we're not better than last year's team in the standings) probably isn't because we turned our center spine into literally the worst in the league behind Jack, along with a guy who actually literally quit on his team.

Like I said, saying things like that is useless if you actually have any interest in understanding the seasons of any hockey team ever in the NHL. You acquire good players not because they will turn your franchise into a winner single-handedly, but because if you acquire enough of them, and pass some threshold, you will consistently give yourself a shot to do something great year in and year out, with highs and lows all the way through. It's why Seguin can be seen as such a loser, until he's creating a buttload of meaningful goals this postseason. It's why Ovechkin can be seen as a choker, until year 13. "We didn't win anything with so-and-so so this conversation is irrelevant" is not even worth the time it takes to read the sentence, as far as learning or understanding anything about this game goes.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Well Bishop is a top tier goalie and at times can be elite/dominant. It was a great pickup by Dallas signing a top 10 goalie for under 5 mil. Going from Lehtonen to Bishop while SAVING money is just incredible.

Investing in goalies is something that is coming back around. Rask, Bobrovsky, Varlamov, Bishop, Jones all still playing and all top tier goalies. Binnington is the new Marty Turco. Lehner was a Vezina finalist. All the remaining playoff teams have great goalies (read:not cheap). I am all for signing Bob or Varlamov this summer.

We need to stop cheaping out in net. And no Lehner doesn't count since his contract was not deserved. I'd gladly give Bob 7 x 7 or Varlamov 6 mil per. Hutton showed he cannot carry the load and Ullmark looks more like a great backup/1B goalie.
Between being so wrong about Bishop and Fleury when they were each acquired, I will no longer be worried/snarky about potentially adding a sorta-older goalie that has had great seasons before, if the opportunity for us to do so arises or somebody suggests it in a thread. Unless they suggest giving Bob 11 mil per year haha

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Between being so wrong about Bishop and Fleury when they were each acquired, I will no longer be worried/snarky about potentially adding a sorta-older goalie that has had great seasons before, if the opportunity for us to do so arises or somebody suggests it in a thread. Unless they suggest giving Bob 11 mil per year haha
Bishop was never as good as this year and the signing was widely panned IIRC. Nobody knows with this stuff, really.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Bishop was never as good as this year and the signing was widely panned IIRC. Nobody knows with this stuff, really.
For sure. I was just an obnoxious poo-poo-er of anything to do with adding goalies for so long, and ours have now sucked for so long that I wanna back off lol

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Ah the good old days when we finished * squints* last.

The “i’d do this trade 100 out of 100 times” and “exactly what I said would happen, happened” posts are some of my all time favorite bookmarks.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Today could be the difference between a top 6 forward and a bust.

Today is one of the most important days of the off-season.

Yes I love being dramatic, but go Stars!

Well, they have two chances to win still, so don’t go walking into incoming traffic if they lose tonight ;)

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Holy s***, anthem singers are usually decent but the stars one should be charged with anthem desecration. Painful.
Go Stars anyway!
Edit: Darn

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Today could be the difference between a top 6 forward and a bust.

Today is one of the most important days of the off-season.

Yes I love being dramatic, but go Stars!
Hahahahaha what a joke of a post. Draft the right guy saves you from a bust, not picking at 19 or 29.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Hahahahaha what a joke of a post. Draft the right guy saves you from a bust, not picking at 19 or 29.

No shit sherlock

Obviously the point of the post is that there's a much greater chance of getting a good player in the late teens than in the late 20's

Does everything need to be spelled out?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
2-1 St. Louis late second period.

Dallas has held them to basically nothing all game minus the 1st 5 minutes up until that goal.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If Klingberg was a Sabre he'd be crucified by now. It's amazing how many mistakes Dallas d does but then they get saved by the forward, something that rarely happens for the Sabres d.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad