St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
If their 2019 pick wins the lottery, it would be in the top 10 so they would keep it, and we would get their 2020 first instead.

I would assume that "top-ten protection" refers to the final Draft order (after the lottery).
Oh. That hadn’t occurred to me but I’m sure you’re correct.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
31 Thoughts: Goalies at odds with NHL, each other over new equipment - Sportsnet.ca

3. The Blue Jackets aren’t thrilled with the rumour factory surrounding Sergei Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin. So, without trying to separate fact from fiction, the situation with Bobrovsky appears… untenable. I believed the organization had the right approach in keeping both and going for it, since they have a good team. Panarin’s got nine points in eight games, and generally goes about his business. But no one within 100 minutes of Bobrovsky has a worse save percentage, and only one who has played more has a higher goals-against average. He looks very unhappy, and what Columbus must weigh is the effect it has on the roster. He has control over the situation with a no-move clause, but it is believed he has given an indication of teams he will consider. Even if you think Long Island is in Bobrovsky’s future, isn’t there some point this season he has to ramp it up to his regular level of excellence as proof of his worth?

15. St. Louis is not the quickest team in a fast league. It was instructive to watch them practice last Friday, as coach Mike Yeo was pushing them to find ways to overcome that. Fast thinking, anticipating where the puck was going and, most importantly, being in the right spots to protect the front of the net whether the puck is there or not. Jake Allen takes a lot of their heat, but if you looked at many of the goals they gave up, he’s left incredibly unprotected. They brought the Maple Leafs to a standstill, then suffered a crushing meltdown in Winnipeg. The Blues are cap tight, but, in a year where they’ve got to do well, I can see them being a potentially stealth team for Bobrovsky.

If the Blues were able to add Bobrovsky and make him happy with an extension, that would likely push them outside of the top 10 barring lottery luck, if not make them a playoff team.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Give me a teens draft pick one year earlier rather than a complete unknown next year any day of the week.

There's an argument to make from either side:

1) Would a mid-teens 2019 be in the lineup any earlier than a lottery player in 2020? I say no.
2) Would the upside of, say, a top-7 pick would be worth two picks in the 20's? Easily.
3) Team contract situation plays into it quite a bit. When will you need those ELC's in your lineup and in what roles?
4) And from the other direction, maybe San Jose and Saint Louis meet in the Stanley Cup finals in 2020 (after emergency realignment when the Leafs fold the franchise after missing the playoffs in 2019 :D )

Taking the known quantity over the high potential is a never-ending argument. There's examples of either one working out. If Colorado gets Jack Hughes with the Ottawa pick you know how they'll feel about it. If they pick in the high 20's, who knows.

Just saying, there's superior upside to have unprotected picks one year later that you would not get with top-10 or lottery-protected picks a year earlier. You could never get a lottery hit with a protected pick. But everything would have to work out right, sure. Same as everything else.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

1) Would a mid-teens 2019 be in the lineup any earlier than a lottery player in 2020? I say no.
2) Would the upside of, say, a top-7 pick would be worth two picks in the 20's? Easily.
3) Team contract situation plays into it quite a bit. When will you need those ELC's in your lineup and in what roles?
4) And from the other direction, maybe San Jose and Saint Louis meet in the Stanley Cup finals in 2020 (after emergency realignment when the Leafs fold the franchise after missing the playoffs in 2019 :D )

Taking the known quantity over the high potential is a never-ending argument. There's examples of either one working out. If Colorado gets Jack Hughes with the Ottawa pick you know how they'll feel about it. If they pick in the high 20's, who knows.

Just saying, there's superior upside to have unprotected picks one year later that you would not get with top-10 or lottery-protected picks a year earlier. You could never get a lottery hit with a protected pick. But everything would have to work out right, sure. Same as everything else.
What guarabtees you that the 2020 would be a lottery pick lol? STL have plenty of young assets that may turn then in a contender if they fix their goaltending in the offseason...

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
What guarabtees you that the 2020 would be a lottery pick lol?
Nothing. I'm just saying there is a 100% lead-pipe guarantee that the 2019's will never be a top-10. But, while the chance is small for 2020, it exists.

Therefore, there is upside to the picks being exercised in 2020 versus 2019. The cost of the pick protection is offset by the time-value of draft picks and the assumption by SJ/STL that they will not suck so much by 2020 that they might be giving up a top-10 or even lottery-winner pick.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Or we could just, you know, offer-sheet him.

If only that were a thing allowed to happen in the NHL.
I liked your post, literally I hit the like button. Unfortunately we don't have the assets (picks) to offer sheet him successfully.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

A pick in the teens is a big difference. There tends to be a difference between 13 and 19.

I’d rather roll the dice and have one if the two picks roll over to 2020 for a couple of reasons...

1. 1 it spreads out the talent. Usually top 10 picks are in the nhl in draft year +1, mid teens by draft year +2 , a 20s pick you likely don’t see them till draft year + 4.

2. Roll the dice lottery win pick.

3. Let’s say this year buffalo picks 12-18 where maybe they make the playoffs. In 2020 they pick in the 20s. Buffali with an extra puck have a chip to use to acquire deadline talent or use it to protect their roster in an expansion draft.

4, if you draft all 3 in 19 then you could have a high cap hit in a few years when they don’t have the cap space. If they stagger their timeline wheee you have a key RFAs signing a year balances out cap management,

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I'd rather have the Blues 2019 pick. They'd be a good team if they had competent goaltending. I'd expect them to be able to find anyone better than Allen and Johnson next offseason.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'd rather have the Blues 2019 pick. They'd be a good team if they had competent goaltending. I'd expect them to be able to find anyone better than Allen and Johnson next offseason.

Not in that division...only the top 3 are guaranteed and Nashville, Winnipeg, and Colorado appear to be top 3. In the west if there was separation such as San Jose, Anaheim, vegas, and another team or two cause separation in the division feeding off the other 3-4 division teams could have them just have more points which gives them the wild card spots. Central beats each other up so the 4th and 5th place clubs have less points than west 4th and 5th pkace teams.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
A pick in the teens is a big difference. There tends to be a difference between 13 and 19.

I’d rather roll the dice and have one if the two picks roll over to 2020 for a couple of reasons...

1. 1 it spreads out the talent. Usually top 10 picks are in the nhl in draft year +1, mid teens by draft year +2 , a 20s pick you likely don’t see them till draft year + 4.

2. Roll the dice lottery win pick.

3. Let’s say this year buffalo picks 12-18 where maybe they make the playoffs. In 2020 they pick in the 20s. Buffali with an extra puck have a chip to use to acquire deadline talent or use it to protect their roster in an expansion draft.

4, if you draft all 3 in 19 then you could have a high cap hit in a few years when they don’t have the cap space. If they stagger their timeline wheee you have a key RFAs signing a year balances out cap management,
4 makes a lot of sense since botteril is a supposed cap guru plus never thought about it that way makes the o'reilly trade more reasonable to me and at the same time i am very messed up so sorry for bad spelling, grammar and comment

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Or we could just, you know, offer-sheet him.

If only that were a thing allowed to happen in the NHL.

The Sabres can't really OS him because they don't own their 2019 2nd round pick and that is the OS range that makes the most sense.

And no way do they go to the 4 1sts level and give up their own picks for the next four years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad