St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
If the team is, say, at least top 4 in the conference by the trade deadline, do you trade your lowest 1st for a top 6 player to put you over the top

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If the team is, say, at least top 4 in the conference by the trade deadline, do you trade your lowest 1st for a top 6 player to put you over the top

Is Skinner re-signing in this scenario?

If yes...then keep the picks for cost controlled high end players down the line.

If no...then see if you can get another Skinner who will stay.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
For a rental, no.
For a player that has term and could be a fit, sure.

Both response are in no way connected to their position in conference.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The way the Blues arent doing good just makes me more annoyed that they actually had protection on a pick when we gave them a lot more in return.

Reactions: sabremike

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
After what happened with Ottawa no team is going to trade unprotected picks unless they’re one hundred percent sure they’re in the playoffs. Just be happy they’re struggling. Ups the chances they miss the playoffs but aren’t bottom 10. And if they do miss big...who knows what happens when it is unprotected next year.

Last edited:

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
NHL 11-4.png
Current positions as of today.

Reactions: Graves

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
With the Kings making a coaching change, it will be interesting to see how long Yeo's rope is in St Louis.

The two biggest issues there are the goaltending and the coaching. And the coaching is way easier to change up.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I know getting #11 this year would be best short and probably long term...but part of me wants that juicy 2020 unprotected 1st from STL.

And I am against trading any 1st. We are going to need young good elc contributors. Even trading for someone with term wouldnt work because of cap hit. The prospect we draft will have term, an ELC and 7 years minimum of team control.

Keep all 3 1sts. We can build a cup contender with these 4 1sts the next 2 years.

Dahlin, Eichel, Skinner, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, Nylander, Olofsson, Samuelsson, Risto, Guhle, Pilut, McCabe, Ullmark, Asplund, Davidsson, BUF 1st 2019+2020, SJ 1st and STL 1st. That is the team of a long term contender. And all the players listed are 26 and younger. We have such an exciting future and present.

Let's go Sabres! Respectable hockey is finally BACK in Buffalo. Thank you Botts :bow:

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
I'm in the minority here, but I'll take all the unrestricted picks I can put my hands on in 2020. The value of those picks, either for use or trade, is too enticing to take short term win. In any event, it's great to have this type of an issue.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I think taking the Sharks pick this year is the best and having the Blues pick next year. They could be even worse going forward if they have a bad year and decided to "blow it up" in the offseason. Obviously picking 11-15 with their pick this season would be really nice if we manage to make the playoffs and have 2 mid 20s picks in addition. Its semantics however as all 3 should end up being good players.

We really need to end up with a Pasta or Barzal type player in the mid first to really push this team to long term success.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
how does the 2020 draft look compared to 19? Everything I'm hearing about 19 is the depth, which makes me think that 11 this year is going to be much better than 23 next year.

**Hypothetical numbers to illustrate a point**

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
I think taking the Sharks pick this year is the best and having the Blues pick next year. They could be even worse going forward if they have a bad year and decided to "blow it up" in the offseason. Obviously picking 11-15 with their pick this season would be really nice if we manage to make the playoffs and have 2 mid 20s picks in addition. Its semantics however as all 3 should end up being good players.

We really need to end up with a Pasta or Barzal type player in the mid first to really push this team to long term success.

If St Louis knows they're giving up their '20 pick, why would you think they would blow it up over the summer? That team, much like detroit, holds on and holds on...

Get a teens pick from st louis this year.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
No. Make this year's trade deadline guy bringing Oloffson, Pilut, Nylander up.

Maybe even Smith too? He’s scoring at a good clip and is a solid 2-way player. He can skate as well and might be a solid compliment to a guy like Mittelstadt or Reinhart.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Maybe even Smith too? He’s scoring at a good clip and is a solid 2-way player. He can skate as well and might be a solid compliment to a guy like Mittelstadt or Reinhart.

I love smith and want him in this roster I just don't see the space for him right now pending injuries or a trade like sobotka to a contender

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'd have no problem trading a 1st for a rental if we are in position to make a push for the playoffs.

Yes we arent going to make noise in playoffs but just getting there is badly needed for a lot of the players on this team. They need to experience this

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'd have no problem trading a 1st for a rental if we are in position to make a push for the playoffs.

Yes we arent going to make noise in playoffs but just getting there is badly needed for a lot of the players on this team. They need to experience this

Just depends who the player is. I'd be open to it but not for a UFA rental type.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
With this draft being touted on the 2003,2008,2013 and 2015 level, getting 3 1sts in the top ~20-24 would be fantastic. Someone mentioned the Bruins in 2015 and we have the same type of possibility minus the whole going off the board and failing.

Boston picked 3 times in a row and went off the board pretty much and it looks like Debrusk is the only one who will pan out as a top player. Oh and the next 3 picks after Boston picked 3 times? Mat Barzal, Kyle Connor and Thomas Chabot. If Boston got those 3 instead then Boston would be the team to beat short and long term.

Now granted we will not get 3 top 15 picks but picking say 12th, 18th and 24th is realistic and exciting.

What I want to see with those 3 1sts is a big forward with some jam/snarl to add much needed grit in the top 9, a smooth skating RHD and a stay at home D. Now of course I want BPA but if the prospects they are choosing from all have similar grades then go for our needs.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I would like a game breaking F, A top 4 D--either a smash mouth LD or a big mobile offensive RD, A good sized good skating 2 way C with plenty of snarl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->