Confirmed with Link: Stéphane Waite named goalie coach

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Sweet addition. If he can get Price to his potential, that would be a huge step forward for the team, especially after last year's collapse.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
"He has coached many current and past NHL goaltenders including Jocelyn Thibault, Brian Boucher, Félix Potvin, Jean-Sébastien Aubin, Jimmy Waite, Craig Anderson, Michael Leighton, Patrick Lalime, Nikolai Khabibulin, Cristobal Huet, Antti Niemi, Marty Turco, Corey Crawford and Ray Emery"

He's the man for the job. Might as well give him the title Director of Special Projects.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Another undersized guy. Terrific.
anti-niemi-stephane-waite-christobal-huet-2010-5-25-16-20-45.jpg

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
In before Price bashing.

Didn't take long:

"He has coached many current and past NHL goaltenders including Jocelyn Thibault, Brian Boucher, Félix Potvin, Jean-Sébastien Aubin, Jimmy Waite, Craig Anderson, Michael Leighton, Patrick Lalime, Nikolai Khabibulin, Cristobal Huet, Antti Niemi, Marty Turco, Corey Crawford and Ray Emery"

He's the man for the job. Might as well give him the title Director of Special Projects.

Though are we really surprised?

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010

From what I see, will Price be is best "project" so far???

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This is significant. Waite working with Price is exactly what is needed. Your highest paid player has to be coached accordingly. The question continues to be wether Carey still wants to play in the Montreal fishbowl however.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
This is HUGE. We should be very very happy about this. After a not too hot, not too cold draft, this is something to boost our faith.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Wow, great hiring!

His work with Crawford was mentionned. Gotta mention his work with Emery too.

I like this. Somebody will have to explain Churla to me, but I like Bergevin's staff hirings.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Kevin Weekes ‏@KevinWeekes 4m Price is a 5-Tool G that can & should be Top 5 in the @NHL,I'm interested to see which elements Waite focuses on with him.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 3m Not my area of expertise, but hiring a goalie coach who helped Niemi and Crawford win the Stanley Cup seems like a good hire for #Habs

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Waite completely transformed Crawford after he took a step back last season. He is the primary reason CC turned it around and took his game to the next level. Notably, Crawford learned to be a better reactive goalie instead of purely relying on positioning.

Sounds a lot like Price, and hopefully the end result is the same. Price himself said he needed to go to another gear, and Waite is the perfect man to help him get there.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
This is great. I'm no expert by any means but it did seem like Price technique degenerated a bit lately and I don't know if thats coaching or a progression that came about naturally, but with this guys pedigree I hope he can bring the best out in Price as I think Price has immeasurable talent just needs to reach the next level. I'm completely opposed to any Price bashing, but also try to see it honestly which to me is that he can SURELY get better and more consistent and maybe this will be a catalyst.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Is this good or bad?

Best possible choice. Look at what he did for Niemi and Crawford, both of whom have less natural talent than Price.

Love this move, likely more than I will any UFA signings.

Its up to you now Price.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
This is great. I'm no expert by any means but it did seem like Price technique degenerated a bit lately and I don't know if thats coaching or a progression that came about naturally, but with this guys pedigree I hope he can bring the best out in Price as I think Price has immeasurable talent just needs to reach the next level. I'm completely opposed to any Price bashing, but also try to see it honestly which to me is that he can SURELY get better and more consistent and maybe this will be a catalyst.

Price progressively started playing like a small goalie and staying on his knees too long (as opposed to going down too soon), which is the complete opposite of how he's built and the game he should be playing with his ideal frame.

Waite will fix that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad