Confirmed with Link: Stéphane Waite named goalie coach

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Great hire. If Price can't succeed with Waite then he never will. I also liked how he clearly identified Price's weaknesses immediately. Saying he liked goalies with good technique but can't just rely on that which is what Price was doing.

Habstastic

Jun 30, 2013
Quebec
If Waite cannot make Price a consistent #1 goalie no one will. Bergevin again made the impossible possible, can't wait to see what will happen. Fingers crossed!

Flyinghab

Jul 18, 2012
Ontario
I love this move, it puts the pressure back on Carey like when Jaro was traded. Time to earn your money Carey! Really looking forward to next season. Go Habs Go!

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
In this interview : http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/le-plan-de-waite-pour-price-1.637933 (in french) I really like how he stresses the importance of the instinct.

He says he likes goalies that are sound technically but he doesn't want robots, says many goalies in the NHL just think of the technique and forget their instinct. That sounds a bit like Carey to me so I hope we will see him look a bit more like how he looked when he first came into the league.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Stephane Waite on coming to Habs

Stephane Waite, Habs new goalie coach, interviewed on FAN590 in Toronto and FAN690 in Montreal last night. Few of his comments:

- Tough to leave Chicago after 10 years and 2 cups.

- Contract expired June 30th, no other team reached out to him except Bergevin.

- Family decision to come back to Montreal. From Quebec, grew up big time Habs fan. Dream to coach the Habs.

- Likes present situation in Montreal, young team with talented goalie, reminds him of how he started with Chicago.

- Will not change Carey's style. Wants to add his personal touches. Thinks he is too technical, needs to rely more on instincts, as he has great natural skill. Price needs to be more in control, Price too aggressive at times, too passive at times.

- Been a big fan of Carey since his junior days.

- Lot of questions about Crawford and Emery a few years ago too. Nemi before them.

- Corey Crawford did a lot of hardwork to make him the goalie he is now. Very focused, followed Waite, trusted him.

- Same with Emery, 2 years ago nobody wanted him, now he's had a great year.

- Been goalie coach for 30+ years, his brother Jimmy Waite was his first student

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
My unprofessional opinion on price. He has as much ability as any goalie in this league. But I find him to be not aggressive enough when cutting angles, and he's too aggressive at times on his lateral movement.

I also think he relies on his technical abilities too much. You can't rely on technical saves for those desperate moments.

Just a few tweaks can do wonders

Last edited:

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
So pumped by this guys interviews, I try to be reasonable but every line just gets me. He certainly can talk the talk and has the credentials to back it up which gives me perhaps too much excitement, hah. But, remains to be seen if he can back up his talk. I see tons of good in his comments and I can imagine this breaking Price out of his funk. This guy seems like a real softie yet real talented. I think Price is more fragile and that "cool as ice" persona is a put on.

I think we all know that now, and I think Bergevin knew it and did whatever he could to get this guy. He can baby Price and I don't even mean that in a bad way, sometimes you need that boost in a tough environment. But this is just sounding great in a long offseason, nice to get excited about personnel changes!

Anyway, really being a fanboy here but hey, sometimes it fun. I know its going to be a while to see if anything happens/improves/etc. but I just can't wait to find out.

Habsurdities

Jul 16, 2012
Montreal
Adjusts to goalie's style, likes his goalie's to be aggressive and rely on their instincts regardless of their technique level. Is very close to his Gs but seems to be able to provide tough love if necessary...

Sounds like music to my ears...I had recently given up on Price but will give it one last shot.

Carey, in his rookie year, was a big, stand up goalie that moved a lot around his crease. Melanson "improved" his technique and Carey became a goalie that was obsessive in making the puck hit him (vs go with instincts sometimes)...and also became very small in his net because of his new habit to drop to his knees quickly. His last coach was a nice guy that was paid to be his friend, and Carey's developed weaknesses with the Habs just bloomed...

So, OK, I will be a fanboy and hope one more time, knowing that if this one fails we will be screwed for a very long time because Carey, with his future Hall-of-Famer level contract, will be non-tradable.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Superb hire

When Groulx was let go, I told a friend that Price needs a coach who will allow him to play with his instincts and not obsess over this or that "technique"

And that's exactly what Waite told the media affter his hiring

Myron Gaines*

Price needs a father-like approach with goaltending, that's what Waite will bring IMO.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto

This is exactly what I think of when Waite says he wants Price to rely more on is instincts and every now and then suprise the shooters, do something they wouldn't expect. This is type of stuff I'd show him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad